Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

1.75/5  rDev -45%

3.59/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint: Transparent light gold with no head.

Smells of grapefruit & ginger (duh, I know, but yeah), lemon, a little tea.

Taste is citrus soda (Fresca, like) with ginger & a light, slightly musty & dry Euro-ish lager taste. Moderately crisp bitter at the end with nice grapefruit peel & ginger aftertaste.

Light-bodied with an assertive dryness & kick from carbonation that's apparently hidden visually. Leave a sort of heavy bristle in aftertaste.

Good summer sipper, & this is my own bias but I'm very into ginger late so that maybe gives it an extra little boost for me right now. Half-soda, half-beer.

3.54/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a clear golden with hints of orange. Non-existent head. Nice pickled ginger aroma. Taste begins with a big blast of ginger, followed by a bit of grapefruit sweetness. After that is a little bready maltiness. Very clean, neutral finish. Not bitter at all despite the grapefruit flavor. Mouthfeel is a bit thin. Overall a pretty good beer, light and refreshing.

2.5/5  rDev -21.4%

3.04/5  rDev -4.4%

Let me start off by saying that I'm not a big fan of grapefruit, but my wife is. So, my review of this has this as a starting point. To start off, it had a nice looking color in the glass but not much in the way of head. You can definitely smell the ginger and grapefruit. It's a very interesting conversation. The taste is an interesting mix of grapefruit, ginger, and beer. I can't say that I preferred the taste, but my wife loved it.

4.5/5  rDev +41.5%

2.58/5  rDev -18.9%

A-Pours a cloudy red grapefruit juice color. Head fizzles off to nothing. Actually does look like fruit juice. Doesn't really lace.

S-Ginger ale. Grapefruit too (and not derived from hops) Just grapefruit doused in granulated sugar. The creepy spawn of a Schweppes and Schlitz.

T-Ginger ale with sugary grapefruit. Then an odd yeasty component. Flavors combat one another. The ginger ale is very off putting. Beer?

M-Light but sugary. Plenty of bubbles. Like a soft drink; not surprising.

O/D-Ale brewed with ginger and grapefruit? About $6.75 a six-pack? I guess I'll give her a shot. Bad idea. My girlfriend loved it because it tasted so much like ginger ale. I hated it for the same reason. And boy, when this beer warmed, it really became frightening.

3.25/5  rDev +2.2%

3.75/5  rDev +17.9%

3.93/5  rDev +23.6%

Appearance: I don't love the foam or the lacing. I like the carbonation. I absolutely love the color! It's glowing amber-red-pink, almost radiant, but not unnaturally so.

Smell: Sour/bitter grapefruit. Extremely refreshing.

Taste/Mouthfeel: I have to admit I really liked this. It's amazingly refreshing on a hot summer day in Chicago. It definitely tastes like grapefruit, but doesn't seem artificial (although I don't actually know if this is the case or not). To be fair, the grapefruit does make it fairly one dimensional.

Overall Drinkability: A fruit beer that actually tastes like beer.

3.99/5  rDev +25.5%

To me this is one of the best summer seasonal beers. In my experience the summer seasonal beers can either be way too fruity or a bit lacking in body and flavor. I found this both refreshing and full of flavor.

As weird as grapefruit beer sounded it was just what my taste buds expected. The balance of citrus and bitter taste on my tongue was perfect. Top that off with a hint of ginger and they have me coming back for more. It is a shame that this one can only come once a year.

The color was what I expected from the shiner family. It had a slight hue of red or amber. The head was only 1/8 inch but that could be to to a poor pour on my part.

All in all my favorite summer beer.

2.8/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 14 oz "pint" glass. Pours a dark straw color with a small white head that dissipates quickly. Smells of very light grain and a little citrus, but not that strong. Tastes of grain with citrus flavoring added, not that great. Beer is very smooth with its light body, but has a little too much carbonation. Overall, a very average beer.

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery