Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.01% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

4.79/5  rDev +50.6%

This is my favorite all-time beer. It's really hard to describe-the grapefruit is there, but subtle. The ginger is there-but it's also just right. I don't usually like "fruit-infused" beers at all, and "Blue Moon" is too sweet for me, but this beer is incredible!

I literally almost got into a row over the last 12 pack last fall, when me and this other guy came into the store at the same time, panicked that it was almost gone. We lamented that this beer is seasonal.

3.67/5  rDev +15.4%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

It appeared as any other summer offering that's not too light.

Didn't have a strong smell, was crisp and light.

The taste reminded me somewhat of a shandy, with grapefruit juice used as opposed to lemonade. Very drinkable.

The mouthfeel, again, reminded me of a shandy. Not filling but very clean, easy to drink down.

It was enjoyable, seems to be a nice compliment to TexMex or other spicy foods. A good beer for a hot summer day.

3.4/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Good light summer beer. Has a nice grapefruit undertones. Nothing spectacular but good for what it is. I keep it out by the pool to enjoy on hot summer days in Houston. It is a bit thin, but part of the summer beer appeal. I drink it straight from the bottle so I can not comment on color or head.

3.75/5  rDev +17.9%

3.65/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a pretty clear, slightly reddish amber - no head, but that must have been an artifact of the pour. Malty aroma has a dusty tone, like powdered fruit drink. Malty flavor has a fruity undertone, apple and cherry with a hint of pear, and a subtle sour undertone. Texture has about average body and fizz. I didn’t seem to get any grapefruit, but this is a tasty and distinctive beer. Let it fly down your throat.

2.15/5  rDev -32.4%

I poured this seriously nasty brew into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The brew (and I'm calling that because its not beer) was slightly red/pinkish and poured a really weak head. It smelled like coca cola believe it or not and was just about as carbonated tasting. The taste was fruity/sour yuk!. I love Shiner Bock but I'll never put another of these up to my mouth.

3.75/5  rDev +17.9%

4.75/5  rDev +49.4%

3.25/5  rDev +2.2%

2.75/5  rDev -13.5%

2.89/5  rDev -9.1%

Doesn't look like much, but it's not a total loss. Dark golden straw colored, think Bud only darker. There is the faintest of red mixed in. The head is white and you can hear the bubbles start to explode immediately. The head is thick, and gone, in no time.

I like the smell. Candy notes envelope the nose almost as soon as the cap is off the bottle. Has more of a cherry smell than anything.

Has a fruit-ish flavor to it, but not something I'd guess to be red grapefruit. It's clearly citrus of some sort, but it tastes like juice concentrate more than anything.

Little feel. Watered down. Slight carbonation. Tart. Almost a medicinal feel. Some heat on the throat in the swallow, but not sure where it comes from because it's not alcohol and it's not very hoppy (it's the ginger as it turns out).

Another swing and miss by the Shiner folks. Not something I'd want to drink again, even on a hot day as the bottle suggests. No character.

2.25/5  rDev -29.2%