Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.01% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011)
3.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Thanks to turfy for hooking this up in a trade.

A - Poured a golden color with a white head that leaves some lacing behind

S - Is mostly of ginger with some pale malt

T - Wow this is more like drinking ginger ale than a beer lots of ginger in the flavor and thats about it for me

M - This beer has a light body with higher carbonation to it

O - While this isn't the first beer I'd grad its still a decent midday beer for a summer day if you like ginger ale then chances are you'll like this one

armock, May 30, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear, pale-gold. One finger of frothy white head that dissipates to nothing rather quickly, almost like I was pouring a soda. No lacing whatsoever.

Smell: Smells a lot like ginger-ale, so I'm definitely picking up the ginger that the beer advertises. Some grapefruit rind in the background, but I'm not getting any of a grapefruit aroma.

Taste: Tastes a little like ginger ale, too. More bitter grapefruit flavors in the taste than in the smell. Bare hints of malt linger for quite a while, reminding me that this is a beer. There is a bitterness on the end, but it's hard to tell if it's from the ginger/grapefruit rind or from the hops. All that being said, this is a fruit/vegetable beer, advertised as being a summer beer, and in that sense, it succeeds. The ginger and grapefruit are both noticeable, though I would like to see a stronger flavor of both.

Mouthfeel: There's an initial fizzy bite with each sip, but the rest of each sip seems flat. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing with this beer, however, as it makes it easier to drink.

Overall: I think this is one of those beers where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. This is a different, enjoyable summer beer, very refreshing after a hot day. While I think the grapefruit and ginger flavors could be more pronounced, I enjoyed this.

StarlightSeraph, May 30, 2011
3.6/5  rDev +13.2%

12 fl oz bottle poured into a weizen glass

A: Apple juice color. Lots of fizzy head that dissipates in seconds. Less head then a soda. Bubbles of CO2 remind me of champagne.

S: Honestly, nice smell. Sweet ginger and then the bite of grapefruit. No 'beer' smell really.

T: Taste is nice too. Citrus taste with ginger hints. Slightly sweet. Not too sweet though.

M: Drinks like a sticky soda.

Drinkability is average. I could drink 2 maybe 3, but I wouldn't finish off the 6-pack.

drewy813, May 28, 2011
2.04/5  rDev -35.8%

Bought a sixer at Round Rock Specs for 7 bucks...was hoping this might be my easy drinking lawnmower beer this summer...umm, it won't be.

Poured a very light orange...a head that lasted about 14 seconds...absolutely no lacing at all after that...nothing.

Interesting...Smelled like...kinda like a ginger ale or a sprite. Seriously, smelled more like a soda than a beer...maybe a bit of grapefruit...certainly no hint of booze.

What is this? Is it really beer? Is it? Tasted like a watered down ginger ale...not even a good ginger ale at all. Did not taste like beer whatsoever. What the hell are you thinking Shiner?

This is a gimmick beer at best...brewed for people who miss Zima or do not even like to drink beer. I'm upset I bought a sixer...wish i'd only bought a single.

obrike, May 26, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +12.6%

I guess this is what shiner replaced their Smokehaus (RIP) beer with. Smells quite a bit like grapefruit and a hint of ginger. I disagree with other reviewers on here that say the ginger is overpowering, I think it works fine. It doesn't suffer from the obnoxious sweetness that plagues a lot of the fruity beers I've tried. Fairly refreshing. I will miss the Smokehaus though (~~RIP~~)

drunkboxer1, May 24, 2011
2.3/5  rDev -27.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Samuel Adams Boston Lager glass.

Appearance: Pours a translucent, apple-juice color. Has a thin, fizzy head that dissipates almost immediately and leaves absolutely no head or lacing. It looks more like sparkling cider than beer.

Smell: Smells very strongly of ginger backed by some grapefruit.

Taste: Has a very mild bitterness up front that develops into a strong ginger taste. Has a grapefruit juice flavor towards at the back with a mild acerbic feel.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and crisp.

Overall: This beer might be a little too gimmicky to work well. The ginger flavor is unappealing and completely overpowers whatever else might have been in this beer. The grapefruit might've worked on its own if it had been allowed to. Unfortunately, the ginger and grapefruit also take away from this beer's drinkability, dooming it as an effective summer seasonal. Skip this one...

wahhmaster, May 20, 2011
3.38/5  rDev +6.3%

This is why I try new beers...even when it's Shiner. I really like this beer. I smell and taste more rosemary than grapefruit, but I can pick out the grapefruit. Either flavor is a bit much on the tongue. Golden in color with, as George would say, "...a pinkish hue." Plenty of carbon dioxide, but not much of a head. Zero head, as a matter of fact. Put it in a can, and it'll be my new fishin' beer. Ooooh, I almost forgot, it's got a tangy finish. Genuinely tangy, but not Tang. That would be gross.

specksnreds, May 19, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -7.2%

A: Clear orange/gold color. Poured a 1 finger fizzy white head that immediately dissipated to a ring of bubbles around the inside edge of the glass. Decanted lightly. No lacing.

S: Ginger and grapefruit. Just like the bottle said. that's it.

T: Sweet malt character more prominent right up front. Quick transition to ginger and grapefruit in the middle. Both linger, somewhat crisply, in a very muted bitter. Certainly not clean, but relatively crisp and refreshing.

M: Very light body. Moderate to ample carbonation. Actually, I think the carbonation "saved" this one a bit in cleaning-up the ginger and grapefruit. Relatively refreshing.

O: Pretty one-dimensional; actually two - ginger and grapefruit. Easy to drink, but why why?

Haybeerman, May 16, 2011
3.7/5  rDev +16.4%

The appearance is of a flat golden hue that had a nice head that disappated quickly leaving minamal lace.

Wow, the ginger and grapefruit are out on the front for sure, This is interesting.A slight malty goodness is up front then the ginger grapefuit kicks in hard. There seems to be some hops in there but they must be teased out.

The flavor follows the nose with the exception that therte is a hop bitterness and some hop citrus.

This is light and for good reason, It is from the south.

I like this brew, it is true to a summer beer for us in the extreme heat. Bravo Spoetzl we love your stuff here in south carolina.

welldigger888, May 16, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -3.1%

12 ounce bottle - $1.49 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours out a golden-orange body, quite clear, and with a bubbly white head that was gone in the time it took to yell at Meemo the cat for clawing up the poor, defenseless carpet. That idiot.

Smell: Ginger. Ginger. Ginger. Ginger. Ginger. Grapefruit. It's like a game of "Duck, Duck, Goose" where every so often you'll pick up a hint of grapefruit and then can jump and run around the room waving your arms and hollering about.

Taste: The malts and hops really take a backseat here to the ginger, if they're even in the car at all, though there is a very small hint of basic grains. As my tongue develops an eventually immunity to the heavy ginger, I can pick up some of that grapefruit character with some tinges of tartness and citric acidity to it. That's about all there is to it.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Lightly carbonated.

Overall: Maybe the ladies will like it. I was considering waking up the girlfriend for a sniff and taste (of the beer, you horrible monsters), but I can already hear the "you woke me up to try some goofy beer?!" rant, so I'll bypass that headache. Me, I was not a fan of this, but I didn't get too angry about it. That'd be like getting angry at a can of Vernors.

ChainGangGuy, May 14, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured into a pint glass, i got a thick bubbly head that quickly dissipated and was left with no head at all. There are strong apple, orange and pear aromas that are very pleasing to the nose. Its crystal clear with very little carbonation and is a dark golden/blonde color. Its light bodied with strong citrus flavors (grapefruit and orange mainly) and is tart overall. There’s no alcohol taste at any point when you drink this beer.

vickersspitfire, May 12, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +22.6%

I guess I gotta hand it to Spoetzl for doing something a little different. (fondly recollecting the "peachy" Holiday Cheer...I got along with that one okay). This unusual concoction sparked me to stroke a review, the first one in a while.

Worked really hard to get a 1/2" head...very short lived. zero lacing

Redish amber...looks OK. Almost like bourbon in a glass.

Can detect a little lemon and grapefruit in the nose, a little rosemary.

First taste catches me totally off guard... Rosemary! Almost as if I had bitten into a fresh sprig! Was not expecting that..I guess it is the ginger, cascade, grapefruit combo.

A little thin on the mouthfeel

At first, the unusual nature of this struck me as, well, astrigently off the mark. After a couple more, and then a couple more the next day, I am coming to embrace it as a decent summer refresher. On one of those scorching hot summer days, its low alcohol, light bodied, citrusy nature could cause me to beg for more.

EDIT (10/23/11) : After this long long HOT HOT HOT and DRY summer, it seemd that I could not get enough of this one. Ice cold on a hot days straight out of the bottle, went down several 12 packs.

scottblaze, May 08, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +10.1%

Bright clear amber-gold with a very small head. Little lacing. Aroma is bland, with some hints of ginger. Flavor: about what can be expected: a mix of solid ginger with citrus tartness. The ginger is fine, but the grapefruit doesn't really work; it's not identifiably grapefruit, to me. Malt and hops are barely detectable at all.

A very average beer. Shiner has one really good beer in their line-up: Holiday Cheer. I was hoping for this one to show off Texas grapefruit like the Cheer does Texas peaches, but this is another forgettable beer from the "little" brewery in Spoetzl.

allengarvin, May 08, 2011
2.3/5  rDev -27.7%

Light, just a few steps off from being refreshing/thirst-quenching. Grapefruit is prominent, but not as satisfying as I'd hoped for. Ginger kicks a bit of spice. No alcohol flavor detected. Notes of lemon zest/rind. Spritzy (very highly carbonated.)

Best way to sum this up is "Zima reincarnated." Not kidding. Maybe a touch of Tequiza too... Definitely alcopoppy.

I applaud the brewery's continued efforts to add more beers to their line up. Shiner is a trusted TX brand and these excursions help turn people on to drinking better beer and to not fear exploration. But this one I will not be purchasing again. Can't win 'em all!

AdvocateFan, May 03, 2011
3.23/5  rDev +1.6%

A - A clear, light, and bright amber, akin to lighter beers. High carbonation to begin, lessens as you drink. Head is thin and quickly vanishes.

S - About an equal amount ginger and sweet grapefruit aromas, no hint of alcohol.

T - More ginger than grapefruit. The ginger tingles in your mouth first, with a light and tangy grapefruit finish. I'm surprised (and a little disappointed) there isn't more grapefruit flavor here.

M - Definitely one of the more carbonated beers I’ve tasted. Also very gingery, not unlike ginger ale actually.

O - Ruby Redbird is a fairly good at what it does: refresh. If you enjoy a lighter beer on a hot summer day, this is a nice change of pace. Plenty of flavor, but anyone that doesn't care for ginger should steer clear.

ranger7, May 03, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +33.6%

I... Like... this... beer! and i did NOT think i would! GO SHINER!!! I love SB and the black and some of the others but when my wife brought this home i was beyond skeptical - flash back to smokearse... i mean smokehaus... but it was a sorta hot day... i was ready for cold beer so... and the cute little label was so inviting. so i poured one in a cold glass - no much head, some bubbles nice gold color. but the smell was quite nice - i walked outside... the grapefruit and ginger were there and the hops too... somewhere back there... i walked out in the yard... the wind blew the trees around... kids where yelling... my neighbor was mowing. i downed a redbird and got another - and another... next day we had some friends over. we chilled out back and knocked back some redbirds... it was a good day... its gonna be a nice long summer... thanks shiner. its about DAMN time... this beer is unique- the grapefruit and ginger are up front but not overpowering - very tart and almost dry but very refreshing when its hot and humid... best ice cold. it is not sweet at all - i hate sweet beer but this is not sweet at all. i love to slosh it around in the glass it bubbles up and goes crazy - also lets that grapefruit smell out...

have not tried with food yet - i bet it would be great with pho!

i love ipa etc but this is something different and i'm so glad shiner did it. totally makes up for the smokehaus! i knew you had it in you shiner - now keep it up - GO CRAZY!!!

titusgroan, May 01, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +26.7%

This is the first time I've ever seen this in stores, I wonder if I've just missed it the past few years or if it's really that new? Anyway, I had to try it, being a big fan of regular shiner and their bohemian black. It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect, I read other people's reviews that said the ginger is overwhelming, not for me, it's barely there. The grapefruit comes through the most, and honestly it's hard to tell this is a beer. It's quite refreshing and the ABV is low enough that the citrus tastes pretty much drowns tasting any alcohol. The only thing about this beer that isn't superb is the aftertaste... grapefruit always did have an odd aftertaste and it comes through in this. You know the pine-y aftertaste you get from a really deep IPA? Have you ever tried grapefruit seed extract? It's pretty similar. This beer has a pretty heavy, not particularly pleasant aftertaste. It's not horrible, but it caught me off guard. Overall, I like it, it's something new and different and definitely fits the season.

krazycure, May 01, 2011
1.25/5  rDev -60.7%

I will make this review short and sweet. This beer is straight up nasty. The ginger is way over powering and totally dominates anything and everything. It tastes like diluted ginger beer, with a sickly ill deathly twang. The mouthfeel and carbonation is atrocious. This beer is just not viable to drink by itself.

The one saving grace is, it may make a perfect base for mixing. Grab some dark rum and use it to make a Dark and Stormy and thank me later. Really disappointing, by far the worst Shiner offering to date.

HoustonTX, Apr 30, 2011
3.7/5  rDev +16.4%

I poured a 12 oz bottle into my Sierra Nevada pint glass.

The beer was a golden amber color with a white soapsy head that disappeared quickly. The smell is mostly ginger with grapefruit backing it up and a hint of citrus peel. The taste is dominated by ginger, it's tart and a bit sour, the aftertaste is grapefruit rind. The beer is very light and spritzy with attacking carbontaion and a nice dry finish. This beer kind of shocked me coming from Shiner, most of there beers are plain and similar but this is very different, but good.

JMad, Apr 30, 2011
1.78/5  rDev -44%

Picked up a 6pack at The Smoke Stack in Westpoint MS, I promise I won't hold this beer against them...

Poured a pretty golden color, promising!
Then I smelled it... and I should have stopped right there, soapy ginger smell, kinda like pickled ginger but more unpleasant. Tasted even worse to me, overwhelmingly ginger flavored with a bad almost stale beer undertone. I couldn't get past my 2nd sip. Maybe this is right to its style, if there even is such thing, but it sure isn't for me. I have no clue what I'll do with the remaining 5 bottles, too bad, I like most of their other offerings

yesferro, Apr 29, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -7.9%

My wife picked up a six pack of this one earlier today, and temptation got the best of me. Poured a translucent amber color with an instantly disappearing tan head. Aromas of tart grapefruit, lemon zest and tea. Light bodied and crackly, with flavors of grapefruit, lemon zest and a little ginger.

emmasdad, Apr 28, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +28.9%

Poured into a St. Arnolds Pint Glass.

Appearance: Dark golden with a straw colored head that dissipated quickly.

Smell: Dominated by ginger, very much like ginger ale soda with earthy malt tones underneath.

Taste: A moderate ginger taste supplemented by the characteristic Shiner earthy malt taste, with a tart aftertaste added by the grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated, not particularly distinctive.

Overall: This would be a great session beer for me. I love the taste, it's refreshing, and it's crisp. It would be nice if it had a bit more complexity but overall I enjoyed it very much.

lwootton, Apr 27, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -30.8%

Strong smell of grapefruit and ginger. Called the perfect summer beer but I have had many that were better. I generally prefer dark beer and reds but this red didn't work. Taste was unpleasant and fruit overpowered the beer. Bad aftertaste. Prefer regular Shiner to this. Not for me and I like just about any beer..

Klassicchris, Apr 26, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured into a straight pint glass.

A. Kind of an orange-amber colour with no head and plenty of rising bubbles.

S. Not bad - some ginger spice and plenty of citrus. A bit grainy too I think.

T. I'm getting much less grapefruit in the taste than I did in the nose, and much more ginger, but the spice is still relatively subdued and not overpowering. I can feel it more than taste it.

M. Kinda thin and watery. Lots of prickly carbonation... or is that the ginger?

O. I could definitely see me drinking a couple of these on a sweltering, baking Texas day in July or August. For all its faults it's a pretty good thirst quencher. Put a pint of Live Oak Pilz next to this though... no contest.

I'm always interested to see what Shiner come up with - sometimes it's a winner, sometimes not. I go with thumbs up for this one.

omnigrits, Apr 25, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -0.9%

The beer pours a clear golden-orange color with a white head. The first thing I get in the aroma is some ginger, but I then get some grapefruit notes. The flavor is more of the same. I get some slightly tart grapefruit, ginger and bready malt. Refreshing. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not a great beer, but this is better than some other Shiner beers.

Mora2000, Apr 23, 2011