Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Reviews: 233 | Hads: 1,116
2.33/5  rDev -25.1%

Light, just a few steps off from being refreshing/thirst-quenching. Grapefruit is prominent, but not as satisfying as I'd hoped for. Ginger kicks a bit of spice. No alcohol flavor detected. Notes of lemon zest/rind. Spritzy (very highly carbonated.)

Best way to sum this up is "Zima reincarnated." Not kidding. Maybe a touch of Tequiza too... Definitely alcopoppy.

I applaud the brewery's continued efforts to add more beers to their line up. Shiner is a trusted TX brand and these excursions help turn people on to drinking better beer and to not fear exploration. But this one I will not be purchasing again. Can't win 'em all! (633 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Smell: Totally of ginger, did not feel any grapefruit. Smelled like ginger ale

Taste: Has some ginger ale taste to it, but extremely bland. Could taste something on the tip of my tongue, but the rest of my tongue just felt like some liquid had passed through it without any taste at all

Feel: Somewhat viscous, but that's about it.

I won't probably have it again. Taste like bland ginger ale. (396 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a clean, clear light gold color, with less than a half-inch of white head that dissipated instantly and left no lacing.

The aroma was fairly neutral and bland, certainly a bit of grapefruit but no real beer scent. The beer had a bit more grapefruit on the tongue and a moderate amount of basic beer taste came through, in a very subdued manner.

The body was very thin and just a little sticky. Drinkability was OK, but with the beer being so blah, why would you several? Overall, nothing special. Try it if you like grapefruit, otherwise drink something else. (592 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -25.7%

Shiner Ruby Redbird pours to a light golden/straw color with almost no foam and very little carbonation. Even an aggressive pour in the center of a glass does little to improve the appearance and no matter how much foam you get, it fizzles away in less than a minute.

This beer has a nose that features light spice and citrus. The flavor follows suit, with the taste of ginger, lemon and grapefruit, and pale malt. The beer has a light, clear body and is sweet overall, even though it finishes a little bit on the tart side.

Shiner Ruby Redbird might serve well as a summer refresher and I would surmise that most who buy it and consume it do so for this reason because other than a means to cool off, I cannot find much memorable about this beer. It does have potential and I like the combination of citrus and ginger. But the glimpses of flavor have an almost teasing characteristic. You like what you taste, but you wish there was more and you are left puzzled at the end, wondering why Shiner didn’t add more ingredients when the brewery formulated this beer.

The taste of this beer is certainly a letdown, but I also have an issue with the appearance. It has very little carbonation and no head of foam, making it look more like a glass of tea than a serious malt beverage. This, coupled with the lack of much body or flavor, make Shiner Ruby Redbird a beer to avoid. (1,378 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -26.7%

I wanted to like this beer, really I did.

I like Citra hops, and right there on the back label is says Citra, Cascade and Mt. Hood are used; all excellent. So, I'm thinking: "Ruby red grapefruit with Citra ... what a wonderful, tangy combination!" Then there's the 4% ABV, which is right up the alley I've been walking lately: beers with 5% ABV or less. And to cap it off, Shiner's stuff is often on sale for $4.99 a sixer.

But I should have gone to the Shiner website before my purchase. The Ruby Redbird webpage says nothing about the hops used, AND THE IBUS ARE ONLY 13. THIRTEEN?? What'd you do, Spoetzl, pass an open baggie of hops over the kettle like you do with Vermouth when making a super-dry martini? I found little hop presence, as a 13 IBU wound suggest. But why promote hops on the label when their contribution to smell and taste are hardly noticeable?

The color is actually very nice; looks like filtered apply juice. I did find the grapefruit and ginger in the smell and taste ... BUT NO DARN HOPS! It was also about as flat as apple juice; no carbonation to speak of.

The more I think of it, the more I think the mention of any hops at all on the back label is deceptive advertising. Either fix the beer with more hops, Spoetzl, or print up some new labels that promote this beer for what it really is: a grapefruit/ginger beer. (1,350 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -28%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a light tangerine color with a fizzy head that fizzles away like a soda. The remaining liquid looks like a deep colored ginger ale, complete with active carbonation.

Smells like ginger ale as well, with a sweet gingery aroma, with undertones of malt. I'm doing a double take at this point to make sure that this is, in fact, a beer and not a soda.

Taste is... odd. Like unsweetened ginger-ale, or ginger-flavored soda water. The carbonation is present in the taste, with a dry maltiness underlying the beer. Absolutely no bitterness exists whatsoever. This is almost more like a lightly flavored malted wine cooler, and not a beer.

Light bodied, heavily carbonated with CO2 and not yeast, this is not the most enjoyable mouthfeel I've ever had.

Can you say chick-beer? Give this a pass, unless slightly flavored soda water is your idea of a beer. (902 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -28%

Strong smell of grapefruit and ginger. Called the perfect summer beer but I have had many that were better. I generally prefer dark beer and reds but this red didn't work. Taste was unpleasant and fruit overpowered the beer. Bad aftertaste. Prefer regular Shiner to this. Not for me and I like just about any beer.. (315 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -28%

Pours a lifeless deep gold bordering copper, no head or retention. Aroma of grated citrus peel and ginger, light malts. In the flavor, twangy ginger, yeast and sour citrus. Flaccid bitterness and bone dry. Over carbonated, too much grapefruit, not enough balance. Unless you love dry grapefruit juice, I'd select a different beer than this. (340 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -28%

I'd heard mixed reviews of this beer from folks around town and needless to say the almost bi-polar reviews on here intrigued me. Like another reviewer before me, I've never actually written a review on BA for anything, but felt that I should chime in on this one.

A: Poured into a pint glass straight down the middle looking for a head to really release the aroma. About a 1/2 finger head was present for a few seconds before quickly dissipating. Has a nice amber color and visible carbonation.

S: Fresca. No joke. You get a nose full of citrus-y grapefruit which I think it just amped up by the ginger.

T: The first thing I noticed about this beer as it hit the tongue was the carbonation. Next you get a mouthful of grapefruit and citrus notes. Mild, mild hops are present but are just blown away by the grapefruit. Leaves a bitter citrus aftertaste on the back of the tongue.

M: Light and heavy carbonation. Like drinking a 7-Up or Fresca.

O: I'm not sure where I stand on this one. Compared to other "fruit beers" such as Dogfish Head Aprihop or Magic Hat #9, this is falls terribly short. I wouldn't put it in the same flavor category as a Lambic due to how watered down this would taste in comparison.

The closest comparison I can think of would be Miller 64 with a slice ruby red grapefruit added. Very drinkable, but worth it?

Opinions are mixed though. Some people really love it, and some like myself feel let down. All in all, I'd at least say give it a try and reach your own opinion. (1,504 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -29.3%

This was recommended by a clerk in my favorite beer store when another customer asked about it. It sounded appealing because grapefruit and ginger are favorites and I'm open to trying fruit beers. I bought a six-pack to try and what a disappoinment. I like ginger a lot but the bitter ginger flavor in this overpowered all other flavors. I tried a small serving again with friends a few days later during a meal and it was slightly better with food. Others thought it would be good on a hot summer day but I can think of many other beers I'd rather drink as an afternoon cooler. I will defintely pass on this. (609 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -30.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my River Horse glass.

A: Light gold with the faintest hint of pink? Or is that my imagination? Head faded very quickly to nothing.

S: Some sweetness, but the nose is dominated by spice, strangely enough. Just a big ginger smell, maybe a bit of clove. Much more intriguing if this were soda.

T: Bit of sweet malt out front, then a total grapefruit/tart citrus bomb. The ginger is present at the end. Seems to get a little better with each sip, perhaps that's my palate being obliterated?

M: Thin, watery, and highly carbonated. Refreshing? I guess.

O: Hard to call this beer. The fruit and spice flavors are the huge majority of the flavor. I get that it is supposed to be refreshing, but I can't imagine enjoying this no matter how thirsty I was.

EDIT: Based on having a second one out of the bottle whilst hot and sweaty, I've adjusted the scores slightly. Not good, but a bit better. (922 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -30.9%

I should've known better. Why did I buy a six pack? I could barely finish it. It's not a terrible summer beer, but Im not sure I wouldn't prefer a PBR on a hot summer day. I know I would if I'm buying. (201 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -30.9%

I poured this seriously nasty brew into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The brew (and I'm calling that because its not beer) was slightly red/pinkish and poured a really weak head. It smelled like coca cola believe it or not and was just about as carbonated tasting. The taste was fruity/sour yuk!. I love Shiner Bock but I'll never put another of these up to my mouth. (363 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -32.5%

Gets off to an unpromising start by topping its orangish golden body with a head as thin and short lived as soda fizz. Aromas are subdued to the point of barely existing. I get a whiff of something like sparkling mineral water, a hint a citrus, and light grains. The grapefruit is only slightly more prominent on the palate. Has flavors of light, nondescript grains, with a few drops of watery fruit punch, with nothing really popping or asserting its presence. I don't detect much in the way of ginger (which the label says it was brewed with). Easily my least favorite of the Shiner lineup. (592 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Bought a sixer at Round Rock Specs for 7 bucks...was hoping this might be my easy drinking lawnmower beer this summer...umm, it won't be.

Poured a very light orange...a head that lasted about 14 seconds...absolutely no lacing at all after that...nothing.

Interesting...Smelled like...kinda like a ginger ale or a sprite. Seriously, smelled more like a soda than a beer...maybe a bit of grapefruit...certainly no hint of booze.

What is this? Is it really beer? Is it? Tasted like a watered down ginger ale...not even a good ginger ale at all. Did not taste like beer whatsoever. What the hell are you thinking Shiner?

This is a gimmick beer at best...brewed for people who miss Zima or do not even like to drink beer. I'm upset I bought a sixer...wish i'd only bought a single. (781 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

This sells pretty well at my store, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Pours darker than expected. Like a marzen, light copper/caramel. No head after a burst of bubbles.

Aroma is stale or rotten apple skins with some grapefruit rind thrown in there.

Flavors are worse. The grapefruit certainly isn't ruby red. Maybe green grapefruit skins and pulp. That rotten apple is still there in the background. Provides some sweetness, but the bitterness from citrus rinds is too much.

Too much rind and not enough grapefruit flavor. Although that would be unfavorable, too. (570 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -34.1%

Ruby Redbird

Served in New Belgium globe glass

A: Pours clear pale amber with a fizzy head that fizzles out immediately. Very good effervescence.

S: Smells like I cracked open a Vernor's. Beyond the ginger ale, I find no additional aromas.

T: No beer in taste, either. Grapefruit peels to ginger ale then medium bitterness and something like stewed vegetables. Bone dry. Finish is thin and faded ginger and grapefruit bitterness.

M: Light body and bright carbonation. Fizzy and crisp mouthfeel.

O: After a couple of drinks of Ruby Redbird, I thought to myself, "Are Texans really drinking this shit?" Honestly, the smell of freshly grated is such a tease when you follow it up with this beer. Gimmicky, one-trick pony.  (734 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -34.7%

Amber golden color with a fluffy head that is short lived.
Predominant sweet aroma of oxidized grapefruit juice and ginger.
Soda flavor with artificial notes of grapefruit and mostly ginger, not otherwise.
Dry aftertaste with a very mild bitterness.
Light body with soda like carbonation.
This didn't taste it as beer, it sure tasted as a ginger beer. I was expecting a flavorful grapefruit APA, but it came out as a sugary soda drink. This could have been so much better. (472 characters)

Big thanks goes out to Mississipping and StayWhatYouAre2’s dad for sharing this one at a tasting recently! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured golden yellow with a half finger white head that subsided to none extremely quickly. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, ginger, and rice. The flavor was of sweet malt, ginger, wheat, and fruit. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty bad brew. I was wondering why their dad was laughing as he brought this one out from the garage fridge to share. He even got more of a kick when I went to smell it. This was definitely not what I was looking for when I came to this tasting. The ginger on this one was what made it so bad in my opinion. While I usually like ginger, this one presented it in a way that I did not enjoy at all. Definitely would make a rather amusing prank on someone if you feel the urge, so keep that in mind. (990 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -36.3%

I knew this beer would suck as soon as I heard Shiner had released it. Honestly, I don't wish to bash a Texan brewery but this beer is so God awful that bashing is deserved. Whoever thought it was a good idea to brew this beer needs to be tarred and feathered, at least. "The perfect summer beer," my ass!

Now, the Ruby Redbird doesn't look too too bad...if it was a ginger ale, because that's what it looks like. When a beer looks like a soda and sounds like it when you pour it out it's never a good sign. It has a sort of deep orange color, clear, and the head is overly bubbly. Wait, check that. It's fizzy and recedes quickly and completely. The head is gone before you know it.

How does it smell? It smells awful. I almost didn't drink it because it smelled so bad. Have you ever smelled bathroom cleaner? Well, this smells like grapefruit-smelling cleaner. It doesn't smell natural at all.

As my friend said, it tastes like the sweaty asshole of an illegal migrant worker. Now, I don't know how my friend knows what that tastes like, but if it's an accurate description of the Ruby Redbird then I'll be steering clear of sexual encounters with illegal migrant workers. Hell, I've worked with (possibly) illegal migrant workers and I bet everything I own they'd spit this beer out after tasting it, claiming it to be some evil gringo poison. And I would agree with them. But seriously, all tastes like a soda with grapefruit flavoring. Ginger adds shittiness to the end, not complexity.

It has a light...fizzy body. The carbonation is more like a soda than a beer, as I've emphasized already. I can't really tell if it's drinkable or not because it tastes so bad.

DON'T GET THIS BEER! If this was the last beer on Earth I'd refuse it. Thankfully I chose not to finish the whole thing. (1,796 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -37%

12 bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance - Clear light golden bronze body with no real head to speak of, just a very thin lace that doesn't stick at all.

Smell - Reminds me of a Squirt softdrink. Maybe a little grapefruit. Very familiar smell, just can't pinpoint it. Maybe a Capri Sun or Hi C...

Taste - Extremely bland. Slight citrus bitter aftertaste. Tastes like seltzer water with an exceedingly small splash of artificial grapejuice.

Mouthfeel - Very slight effervescence. Feels pretty flat overall .

Overall Drinkability - This beer has no redeeming value. It is among the most bland beers I've ever had. Basically a michelob ultra with a worse mouthfeel. (673 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -40.2%

I actually like beers with fruits brewed in them, but this just wasn't for me. The ginger side of things was a little strange. I feel it was too light for my taste. Seemed thin although it has flavor. The alcohol content is very low for a Shiner beer as well.

Overall I'm not very impressed, but to some that enjoy their beers brewed with fruit, it could be acceptable. (370 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -40.5%

Had seen this recently and took a chance on a single for $1.49. Oh well...

A - Poured into a Guinness pint glass. A deep gold color with a fizzy, one finger head that dissapated in 30 seconds. No lacing whatsoever.

S - Reminded me of ginger-ale, which makes sense because of the ginger added to beer. Also a faint resin/grapefruit smell.

T - A sour, tart taste with some hop bitterness. A strange experience for my tasttebuds.

M - Very light with more than adequate carbonation. Not much body at all.

D - Bodywise you could drink a ton of these. Taste-wise, one was more than enough for me.

I could see how a combination of Ruby red grapefruit and ginger could make for a very nice summer beer. I imagined it in a well-made wheat or Kolsch with at least some quality and body to it. But for me, this was not it. (818 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -42.1%

Picked up a 6pack at The Smoke Stack in Westpoint MS, I promise I won't hold this beer against them...

Poured a pretty golden color, promising!
Then I smelled it... and I should have stopped right there, soapy ginger smell, kinda like pickled ginger but more unpleasant. Tasted even worse to me, overwhelmingly ginger flavored with a bad almost stale beer undertone. I couldn't get past my 2nd sip. Maybe this is right to its style, if there even is such thing, but it sure isn't for me. I have no clue what I'll do with the remaining 5 bottles, too bad, I like most of their other offerings (592 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -43.7%

pours clear bright copper gold with a 1/2 finger fizzy white head that left no lacing

smells like a fruity seven up with hints of ruby red grapefruit

taste is absolutely awful - it reminds me of a zima i drank in jr. high almost 20yrs ago

mouthfeel is thin - this is an over carbonated soda water they are passing off as beer

overall this might be the worst thing i have ever drank called beer - i got more beer flavor from bud select 55 (441 characters)

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner