Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Ratings: 1,093 | Reviews: 250
2.48/5  rDev -22.3%

A: Nice looking reddish amber. Heavy carbonation present. Little/no lace or head.

S: Big ginger over a pale malt aroma. A little medicinal/antiseptic.

T: I love the taste of both ginger and grapefuit but this is not very good. Finishes metallic. Like weak ginger beer and pine sol.

M: Highly carbonated and invigorating.

D: Never again. "Fool me once..."

I really don't like or understand these novelty beers that have no direction or purpose.

2.48/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Pours a medium amber with a pinkish hue. Zero head upon pour, looks like a glass of fruit juice. The nose feature musty grainy notes paired with notes of wheat, vegetal notes reminiscent of squash, no real discernible grapefruit. The taste is a mess. It starts with tart citric grapefruit notes which are undercut by strong husky grain flavor. No hops to speak of, and no real balance between flavors. Mouthfeel is absent of appropriate carbonation... all I get is a bit of prickle sensation, but it seems out of place. Overall, not impressed. A grapefruit beer with citrus hops would be way more exciting than this, all we get here is an artificial tasting lackluster brew.

2.46/5  rDev -22.9%

Cannot taste the grapefruit at all, just tastes like I'm drinking pork dumpling sauce

2.45/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 oz. bottle poured into a Burley Oak snifter

A: Orange copper color with no head or lacing. A lot of bubbles stuck to the side initially.

S: I just get malty citrus in the form of grapefruit, plus a a tinge of ginger.

T: Grapefruit flavored ale, period. Ugh. As I was eyeing it up, a person in the aisle grabbed a six pack and said that he loved it, so I figured that would be the last one in my mix six.

M: Smooth, with just a bit of carbonation.

O: This was a letdown. I'd recently had Harpoon's Big Squeeze, which is a shandy with grapefruit juice and I'd loved it. But this is billed as a fruit/vegetable beer, so I guess that is the big difference. Anyways, not a fan and didn't finish it (cooked with it instead).

2.44/5  rDev -23.5%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Poured a golden color.... no head, no lacing... Not a good start... looks flat.. giving a 1.5 because it looks a little like beer.

S: I'm getting the grapefruit right up front.... little hint of ginger.

T: OK, the ginger and malt hit first.... when a wave of tart grapefruit hits you and it hits hard... Finish is pretty clean with a little tart after taste.. Not much else here.

M: Light to mid bodied with no carbonation. A little flat.

O: Strangely not a horrible beer... I'm thinking I got a bad beer here... The tartness of the grapefruit was a little different from most fruit beers I've had.

2.42/5  rDev -24.1%

This beer pours a clear amber color with no head whatsoever. The aroma is strong with Ginger and grapefruit. The taste is similar to a Ginger ale and not much else. The mouthfeel is overcarbonated and dry. Overall an interesting idea for a beer style, but poorly executed.

2.4/5  rDev -24.8%

This is a love-hate beer and I find myself in the hate camp and surprised to see it still on store shelves.

The body and taste is "watery"/thin -plenty of citrus yet is more like a lager than a radler/shandy. I do enjoy the citrus aspect of hops and like grapefruit -which is showcased in this beer but the flavor comes from the fruit and not the hops in the case of Shiner Ruby Redbird. Perhaps as a Pale ale with grapefruit the beer would be more appealing.

2.37/5  rDev -25.7%

Appearance - no head retention whatsoever. Looks a bit watery.

Smell - sweet. Citrus. Very lemony smell!

Taste - unfortunately not much of a taste, and anything I do get isn't very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - average

Overall - I will not have this again.

2.37/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Blaahhhhhh it's like cough syrup and ginger mixed together....so really good am I right?

2.36/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured the color of light apple cider into a pint glass with a finger of fluffy white head. Medicinal aroma of ginger ale and grapefruit.

Lowish carbonation and a thin mouthfeel. Ginger up front followed by light grain and grapefruit (but not the hoppy kind).

Love the flavor combination in theory, but this wasn't for me (the wife enjoyed it, though). Tasted like flat ginger ale and dish soap.

2.35/5  rDev -26.3%

12 oz single for about a $1.50

A: Looked great at the beginning, a really dense head, but then it just petered out in a blink of an eye.

S: Artificial grapefruit, not getting much ginger here. Almost reminds me of bathroom/kitchen disinfectant.

T: The malts are so weak, there is no hop. All there is is fizziness and bitter non-juicy grapefruit. The worst tasting ginger flavor lingers long after a sip. Terrible.

M: Really fizzy, might be thirst quenching in Texas weather.

O: Can't recommend this one at all. I don't know what Shiner was thinking. Smokehaus was leaps better than this.

2.34/5  rDev -26.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Samuel Adams Boston Lager glass.

Appearance: Pours a translucent, apple-juice color. Has a thin, fizzy head that dissipates almost immediately and leaves absolutely no head or lacing. It looks more like sparkling cider than beer.

Smell: Smells very strongly of ginger backed by some grapefruit.

Taste: Has a very mild bitterness up front that develops into a strong ginger taste. Has a grapefruit juice flavor towards at the back with a mild acerbic feel.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and crisp.

Overall: This beer might be a little too gimmicky to work well. The ginger flavor is unappealing and completely overpowers whatever else might have been in this beer. The grapefruit might've worked on its own if it had been allowed to. Unfortunately, the ginger and grapefruit also take away from this beer's drinkability, dooming it as an effective summer seasonal. Skip this one...

2.33/5  rDev -27%

Light, just a few steps off from being refreshing/thirst-quenching. Grapefruit is prominent, but not as satisfying as I'd hoped for. Ginger kicks a bit of spice. No alcohol flavor detected. Notes of lemon zest/rind. Spritzy (very highly carbonated.)

Best way to sum this up is "Zima reincarnated." Not kidding. Maybe a touch of Tequiza too... Definitely alcopoppy.

I applaud the brewery's continued efforts to add more beers to their line up. Shiner is a trusted TX brand and these excursions help turn people on to drinking better beer and to not fear exploration. But this one I will not be purchasing again. Can't win 'em all!

2.33/5  rDev -27%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Smell: Totally of ginger, did not feel any grapefruit. Smelled like ginger ale

Taste: Has some ginger ale taste to it, but extremely bland. Could taste something on the tip of my tongue, but the rest of my tongue just felt like some liquid had passed through it without any taste at all

Feel: Somewhat viscous, but that's about it.

I won't probably have it again. Taste like bland ginger ale.

2.33/5  rDev -27%

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a clean, clear light gold color, with less than a half-inch of white head that dissipated instantly and left no lacing.

The aroma was fairly neutral and bland, certainly a bit of grapefruit but no real beer scent. The beer had a bit more grapefruit on the tongue and a moderate amount of basic beer taste came through, in a very subdued manner.

The body was very thin and just a little sticky. Drinkability was OK, but with the beer being so blah, why would you several? Overall, nothing special. Try it if you like grapefruit, otherwise drink something else.

2.31/5  rDev -27.6%

Shiner Ruby Redbird pours to a light golden/straw color with almost no foam and very little carbonation. Even an aggressive pour in the center of a glass does little to improve the appearance and no matter how much foam you get, it fizzles away in less than a minute.

This beer has a nose that features light spice and citrus. The flavor follows suit, with the taste of ginger, lemon and grapefruit, and pale malt. The beer has a light, clear body and is sweet overall, even though it finishes a little bit on the tart side.

Shiner Ruby Redbird might serve well as a summer refresher and I would surmise that most who buy it and consume it do so for this reason because other than a means to cool off, I cannot find much memorable about this beer. It does have potential and I like the combination of citrus and ginger. But the glimpses of flavor have an almost teasing characteristic. You like what you taste, but you wish there was more and you are left puzzled at the end, wondering why Shiner didn’t add more ingredients when the brewery formulated this beer.

The taste of this beer is certainly a letdown, but I also have an issue with the appearance. It has very little carbonation and no head of foam, making it look more like a glass of tea than a serious malt beverage. This, coupled with the lack of much body or flavor, make Shiner Ruby Redbird a beer to avoid.

2.28/5  rDev -28.5%

I wanted to like this beer, really I did.

I like Citra hops, and right there on the back label is says Citra, Cascade and Mt. Hood are used; all excellent. So, I'm thinking: "Ruby red grapefruit with Citra ... what a wonderful, tangy combination!" Then there's the 4% ABV, which is right up the alley I've been walking lately: beers with 5% ABV or less. And to cap it off, Shiner's stuff is often on sale for $4.99 a sixer.

But I should have gone to the Shiner website before my purchase. The Ruby Redbird webpage says nothing about the hops used, AND THE IBUS ARE ONLY 13. THIRTEEN?? What'd you do, Spoetzl, pass an open baggie of hops over the kettle like you do with Vermouth when making a super-dry martini? I found little hop presence, as a 13 IBU wound suggest. But why promote hops on the label when their contribution to smell and taste are hardly noticeable?

The color is actually very nice; looks like filtered apply juice. I did find the grapefruit and ginger in the smell and taste ... BUT NO DARN HOPS! It was also about as flat as apple juice; no carbonation to speak of.

The more I think of it, the more I think the mention of any hops at all on the back label is deceptive advertising. Either fix the beer with more hops, Spoetzl, or print up some new labels that promote this beer for what it really is: a grapefruit/ginger beer.

2.24/5  rDev -29.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a light tangerine color with a fizzy head that fizzles away like a soda. The remaining liquid looks like a deep colored ginger ale, complete with active carbonation.

Smells like ginger ale as well, with a sweet gingery aroma, with undertones of malt. I'm doing a double take at this point to make sure that this is, in fact, a beer and not a soda.

Taste is... odd. Like unsweetened ginger-ale, or ginger-flavored soda water. The carbonation is present in the taste, with a dry maltiness underlying the beer. Absolutely no bitterness exists whatsoever. This is almost more like a lightly flavored malted wine cooler, and not a beer.

Light bodied, heavily carbonated with CO2 and not yeast, this is not the most enjoyable mouthfeel I've ever had.

Can you say chick-beer? Give this a pass, unless slightly flavored soda water is your idea of a beer.

2.24/5  rDev -29.8%

Strong smell of grapefruit and ginger. Called the perfect summer beer but I have had many that were better. I generally prefer dark beer and reds but this red didn't work. Taste was unpleasant and fruit overpowered the beer. Bad aftertaste. Prefer regular Shiner to this. Not for me and I like just about any beer..

2.24/5  rDev -29.8%

Pours a lifeless deep gold bordering copper, no head or retention. Aroma of grated citrus peel and ginger, light malts. In the flavor, twangy ginger, yeast and sour citrus. Flaccid bitterness and bone dry. Over carbonated, too much grapefruit, not enough balance. Unless you love dry grapefruit juice, I'd select a different beer than this.

2.24/5  rDev -29.8%

I'd heard mixed reviews of this beer from folks around town and needless to say the almost bi-polar reviews on here intrigued me. Like another reviewer before me, I've never actually written a review on BA for anything, but felt that I should chime in on this one.

A: Poured into a pint glass straight down the middle looking for a head to really release the aroma. About a 1/2 finger head was present for a few seconds before quickly dissipating. Has a nice amber color and visible carbonation.

S: Fresca. No joke. You get a nose full of citrus-y grapefruit which I think it just amped up by the ginger.

T: The first thing I noticed about this beer as it hit the tongue was the carbonation. Next you get a mouthful of grapefruit and citrus notes. Mild, mild hops are present but are just blown away by the grapefruit. Leaves a bitter citrus aftertaste on the back of the tongue.

M: Light and heavy carbonation. Like drinking a 7-Up or Fresca.

O: I'm not sure where I stand on this one. Compared to other "fruit beers" such as Dogfish Head Aprihop or Magic Hat #9, this is falls terribly short. I wouldn't put it in the same flavor category as a Lambic due to how watered down this would taste in comparison.

The closest comparison I can think of would be Miller 64 with a slice ruby red grapefruit added. Very drinkable, but worth it?

Opinions are mixed though. Some people really love it, and some like myself feel let down. All in all, I'd at least say give it a try and reach your own opinion.

2.2/5  rDev -31%

This was recommended by a clerk in my favorite beer store when another customer asked about it. It sounded appealing because grapefruit and ginger are favorites and I'm open to trying fruit beers. I bought a six-pack to try and what a disappoinment. I like ginger a lot but the bitter ginger flavor in this overpowered all other flavors. I tried a small serving again with friends a few days later during a meal and it was slightly better with food. Others thought it would be good on a hot summer day but I can think of many other beers I'd rather drink as an afternoon cooler. I will defintely pass on this.

2.15/5  rDev -32.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my River Horse glass.

A: Light gold with the faintest hint of pink? Or is that my imagination? Head faded very quickly to nothing.

S: Some sweetness, but the nose is dominated by spice, strangely enough. Just a big ginger smell, maybe a bit of clove. Much more intriguing if this were soda.

T: Bit of sweet malt out front, then a total grapefruit/tart citrus bomb. The ginger is present at the end. Seems to get a little better with each sip, perhaps that's my palate being obliterated?

M: Thin, watery, and highly carbonated. Refreshing? I guess.

O: Hard to call this beer. The fruit and spice flavors are the huge majority of the flavor. I get that it is supposed to be refreshing, but I can't imagine enjoying this no matter how thirsty I was.

EDIT: Based on having a second one out of the bottle whilst hot and sweaty, I've adjusted the scores slightly. Not good, but a bit better.

2.15/5  rDev -32.6%

I should've known better. Why did I buy a six pack? I could barely finish it. It's not a terrible summer beer, but Im not sure I wouldn't prefer a PBR on a hot summer day. I know I would if I'm buying.

2.15/5  rDev -32.6%

I poured this seriously nasty brew into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The brew (and I'm calling that because its not beer) was slightly red/pinkish and poured a really weak head. It smelled like coca cola believe it or not and was just about as carbonated tasting. The taste was fruity/sour yuk!. I love Shiner Bock but I'll never put another of these up to my mouth.

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner