2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery

Shiner Ruby RedbirdShiner Ruby Redbird

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.01% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011)
View: Beers (22) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 657 | Reviews: 183 | Show All Ratings:
oreo

3.7/5  rDev +17.5%

Got this bottle for free today from my beer guy.

Drank straight from the bottle, but poured a bit out to see the color and head.

Poured a nice amber with a short bright white head. Gone within seconds.

Smells pretty neat, lots of grapefruit and ginger. More fruit and citrus than ginger which is good.

Tastes pretty damn good. I can see how they call this the "perfect summer beer" Very light and refreshing. Easily drinkable on a hot summer day. Over the course of the beer, the ginger makes more of an appearance in the taste. Kinda kills all the wonderful grapefruit I had at the beginning.

Very light and crisp mouthfeel, as a summer beer should be.

Overall this is a good beer. Not great, but enough to keep me happy during ahot summer day. Well done shiner!

04-06-2011 00:25:11 | More by oreo
UTCengOwl

3.7/5  rDev +17.5%

Bought some at Central Market after I started a small debate about it on the Southwest forum. Definitely a unique beer and maybe my favorite Shiner beer... though I guess that's not exactly a ringing endorsement. Served in a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

The beer pours a clear solid gold with a white head that dissipates quite quickly. If there was any sort of head whatsoever, I'd really like the looks... but there's not.

The nose is ginger ale. Interesting. Am I really drinking beer? Deeper sniffs reveal fleshy, authentic grapefruit. I don't think I've ever had this fruity of a grapefruit flavor in a beer. I'm not sure that I prefer that, but it sure is interesting.

The taste is also mostly Ginger ale. There's also a good adjunct lager behind that. These flavors flow into that same fleshy grapefruit, which leaves a grapefruity bitterness... which doesn't really call forth hops. Interesting again. I wish they used some of the fruitiness of the hops (mmmm.... Citra), but this is a unique offering.

The mouthfeel is that of a smooth adjunct lager. Highly drinkable. Not over carbonated. This stuff goes down quickly and I've already finished my second in half an hour. Just plain interesting stuff.

04-06-2011 00:28:27 | More by UTCengOwl
twiggamortis420

3.7/5  rDev +17.5%

This beer seems to be pretty polarizing, either you like it or hate it. One thing is for sure though - it IS different. 12 oz bottle pours a mostly clear, dark gold color with a small off-white head. Dissipates quickly to near nothingness.

Nose is mostly ginger but some of the grapefruit pokes out if you look for it. Not much in the way of malt and a faint citra hop presence is barely detectable. I would love for the hops to be more bold on the aroma, but this is Shiner were talkin about.

Taste is out there, that is for sure. More depth than a ginger beer, but the asian root still dominates for the most part. The grapefruit is a nice addition and the malts are kept light and grainy. Hops are low-key but the bitterness is not really missed with the zesty grapefruit and ginger. If it were my recipe, I would dial down the ginger and dry hop it with lots more amarillo and citra. Having said that, I am really enjoying this seasonal offering and am already on my 3rd sixer of it. It is a very good, refreshing summer beer to go with the hot, humid dog days of summer soon to be here. Say what you will about Shiner’s regular lineup, but their seasonals have been innovative and for the most part quite good.

04-17-2011 18:02:27 | More by twiggamortis420
JMad

3.7/5  rDev +17.5%

I poured a 12 oz bottle into my Sierra Nevada pint glass.

The beer was a golden amber color with a white soapsy head that disappeared quickly. The smell is mostly ginger with grapefruit backing it up and a hint of citrus peel. The taste is dominated by ginger, it's tart and a bit sour, the aftertaste is grapefruit rind. The beer is very light and spritzy with attacking carbontaion and a nice dry finish. This beer kind of shocked me coming from Shiner, most of there beers are plain and similar but this is very different, but good.

04-30-2011 00:20:04 | More by JMad
welldigger888

South Carolina

3.7/5  rDev +17.5%

The appearance is of a flat golden hue that had a nice head that disappated quickly leaving minamal lace.

Wow, the ginger and grapefruit are out on the front for sure, This is interesting.A slight malty goodness is up front then the ginger grapefuit kicks in hard. There seems to be some hops in there but they must be teased out.

The flavor follows the nose with the exception that therte is a hop bitterness and some hop citrus.

This is light and for good reason, It is from the south.

I like this brew, it is true to a summer beer for us in the extreme heat. Bravo Spoetzl we love your stuff here in south carolina.

05-16-2011 03:56:42 | More by welldigger888
ChrisAceGates

3.7/5  rDev +17.5%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

It appeared as any other summer offering that's not too light.

Didn't have a strong smell, was crisp and light.

The taste reminded me somewhat of a shandy, with grapefruit juice used as opposed to lemonade. Very drinkable.

The mouthfeel, again, reminded me of a shandy. Not filling but very clean, easy to drink down.

It was enjoyable, seems to be a nice compliment to TexMex or other spicy foods. A good beer for a hot summer day.

08-09-2012 15:33:20 | More by ChrisAceGates
BeerWithMike

Nebraska

3.69/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled last night on 4/14/14. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a amber in color with a pinkish hue that has about a 1-finger off-white head that settles down to just the top. Some spotty lacing was seen. The aroma is of some ginger and citrus with some hops. The taste actually has a lot going on with a good amount of ginger mixed with various hops and grapefruit coming through. Strange finish as it tasty a bit 'soapy' for some reason. Lots of carbonation as is noticed by the small streaming bubbles. Overall, it is different and isn't bad.

04-16-2014 02:50:12 | More by BeerWithMike
omnigrits

3.68/5  rDev +16.8%

Poured into a straight pint glass.

A. Kind of an orange-amber colour with no head and plenty of rising bubbles.

S. Not bad - some ginger spice and plenty of citrus. A bit grainy too I think.

T. I'm getting much less grapefruit in the taste than I did in the nose, and much more ginger, but the spice is still relatively subdued and not overpowering. I can feel it more than taste it.

M. Kinda thin and watery. Lots of prickly carbonation... or is that the ginger?

O. I could definitely see me drinking a couple of these on a sweltering, baking Texas day in July or August. For all its faults it's a pretty good thirst quencher. Put a pint of Live Oak Pilz next to this though... no contest.

I'm always interested to see what Shiner come up with - sometimes it's a winner, sometimes not. I go with thumbs up for this one.

04-25-2011 03:34:58 | More by omnigrits
Cyberkedi

Georgia

3.68/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours a pretty clear, slightly reddish amber - no head, but that must have been an artifact of the pour. Malty aroma has a dusty tone, like powdered fruit drink. Malty flavor has a fruity undertone, apple and cherry with a hint of pear, and a subtle sour undertone. Texture has about average body and fizz. I didn’t seem to get any grapefruit, but this is a tasty and distinctive beer. Let it fly down your throat.

08-05-2012 22:05:13 | More by Cyberkedi
StonedTrippin

Colorado

3.68/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I don't care what anyone says, this is a pretty good brew. far superior to the original shiner bock, and with a well executed twist of creativity that I find just right for warm weather sessioning. the appearance is nothing special, an understated pale ale color with a moderate but rapidly fading white head and very little visible carbonation. the nose has some fresh ginger and a medium American malt base. there is also some interesting citrus notes coming from this, I cant yet pick it out as grapefruit, but it absolutely smells thirst quenching. the flavor is sharp sweet red tangy grapefruit right up front. really fresh and tasty, with the ginger taking more of the spotlight towards the finish. a very refreshing beer indeed. only mildly acidic from the grapefruit, and very very light in body with dancing carbonation, this is a beer I could drink all day on the boat or at a picnic. its got that summery vie to it without using lemons or lager yeast or any of the usual suspects really. easily the best diner brew ive had, despite its mostly negative feedback here on BA. ill buy this again.

03-31-2013 18:20:11 | More by StonedTrippin
Bierlerner

3.63/5  rDev +15.2%

A- A pale rusty gold color. Head starts to rise but as quickly as it rises it disappears into nothing. Lots of little bubblies active throughout rest of beer.

S- A faint but very pleasurable aroma of pepper and yeast with kicks of citrus and red grapefruits.

T- Taste is decent. Again with the yeast and pepper, great pepper and grapefruit notes. But, the taste could be a little stronger and more complex. A great small biting bitterness in the finish. But again, taste is almost as faint as the smell.

M- Medium to light body. Tingly mild carbonation.

O- Refreshing summer beer. Pretty decent, I guess. I like the hints of grapefruit throughout.

06-06-2011 22:43:08 | More by Bierlerner
drewy813

3.6/5  rDev +14.3%

12 fl oz bottle poured into a weizen glass

A: Apple juice color. Lots of fizzy head that dissipates in seconds. Less head then a soda. Bubbles of CO2 remind me of champagne.

S: Honestly, nice smell. Sweet ginger and then the bite of grapefruit. No 'beer' smell really.

T: Taste is nice too. Citrus taste with ginger hints. Slightly sweet. Not too sweet though.

M: Drinks like a sticky soda.

Drinkability is average. I could drink 2 maybe 3, but I wouldn't finish off the 6-pack.

05-28-2011 03:18:25 | More by drewy813
zdk9

3.58/5  rDev +13.7%

A- Pours a light orange color, quite clear. Basically no head even with a fairly agressive pour- I've got to dock some points for that, the beer just looks kinda of syrupy- like a warm orange soda.

S- A kick of ginger hits my nose. It's kind of nice- somewhere between fresh and candied ginger. I'm searching for some fruit or malt or hops but all I'm getting is ginger. But to be honest I like that. It really appeals to my proclivity for ginger ale, and spicy gingery ginger ale.

T- That is... weird. Much drier and more minerally than expected. I guess the look tricked me into expecting a super sweet beer, but that's not what I get. The ginger flavor is watered down. The grapefruit is there, not super strong, but coming out especially in the aftertaste, like eating a fresh grapefruit slice pith and all.

M- I could definitely take more carbonation in this beer. The ginger makes it sharper than it would be otherwise, but even so it would make for a better refreshing beer.

O- I expected to really like a grapefruit and ginger flavored beer, but I wasn't expecting to be super impressed with a Shiner beer. So I think this met those combined expectations. I like the ginger smell, but the taste is a little too watery.

04-22-2011 04:50:00 | More by zdk9
drunkboxer1

3.58/5  rDev +13.7%

I guess this is what shiner replaced their Smokehaus (RIP) beer with. Smells quite a bit like grapefruit and a hint of ginger. I disagree with other reviewers on here that say the ginger is overpowering, I think it works fine. It doesn't suffer from the obnoxious sweetness that plagues a lot of the fruity beers I've tried. Fairly refreshing. I will miss the Smokehaus though (~~RIP~~)

05-24-2011 22:30:38 | More by drunkboxer1
angelmonster

Colorado

3.58/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours a clear, golden straw color. Head is 1/3 inch and white. Lots of bubbles rising throughout, head retention and lacing were average at best.

Beer smells of sweet citrus and some straw malt. For some reason I'm getting the aroma of Sprite or 7-up. Ginger or cinnamon is also detected.

Taste is unique, part mexican lager, part fruit flavored malt beverage ie: Smirnoff. Ginger is probably the most dominant flavor in the beer. Light, crisp malts are also present, hops are not. Alcohol is non existent.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, crisp and well carbonated. Head didnt contribute to beer, grapefruit left a bitter citrus-y aftertaste

Overall this was a good, light, thirst quenching summertime beer. Definitely unique with the ginger/grapefruit combo. Wish I could take a growler of this to the pool, great outdoor/patio beer.

06-13-2012 02:44:46 | More by angelmonster
OneDropSoup

3.58/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint: Transparent light gold with no head.

Smells of grapefruit & ginger (duh, I know, but yeah), lemon, a little tea.

Taste is citrus soda (Fresca, like) with ginger & a light, slightly musty & dry Euro-ish lager taste. Moderately crisp bitter at the end with nice grapefruit peel & ginger aftertaste.

Light-bodied with an assertive dryness & kick from carbonation that's apparently hidden visually. Leave a sort of heavy bristle in aftertaste.

Good summer sipper, & this is my own bias but I'm very into ginger late so that maybe gives it an extra little boost for me right now. Half-soda, half-beer.

10-07-2012 11:49:32 | More by OneDropSoup
Snow

3.58/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

You need to like Grapefruit to enjoy this beer
Its a bit sweet as well, all in all a good grab for a hot day

it pours light to medium gold with a grapefruit citrus hitting you in the face, the hops are lacking like others have commented. The key here is the grapefruit and effervescent quality. So if your looking for an enjoyable summer beer you have one

04-18-2014 18:08:04 | More by Snow

Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 12 oz. brown bottle, twist-cap
Glassware: Globe glass
Purchased: 6-pack from Kroger

Orange-amber in color, clear, with a small white head. The head fades quickly with low retention and really no lacing to speak of.

Aromas are of grapefruit, and ginger, giving it a smell akin to a ginger ale soda with some fruit additions.

The taste has a bit of tartness up front from the grapefruit, and then features a good amount of ginger - enough to notice, but not so much as to overwhelm like some ginger beers I've had. Tastes like a fruity ginger ale in many ways, but still has some beery characteristics.

The mouthfeel is prickly from the high carbonation, on a light body. Finishes with quite a bit of ginger aftertaste.

Overall an easy-drinking and refreshing hot weather beer, although it doesn't taste quite like a traditional beer.

06-09-2013 23:49:18 | More by sommersb
russpowell

3.55/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours joney colored with near zero beige head.
Zero head rentention & lacing

S: Peaches & grassyness, faint ginger notes

T: Peaches & grassy notes, plus red grapefruit up front. A touch of dryness, a bit of honey & more red grapefruit, along with white grape & faint peach notes. Finishes fairly crisp with a nice grapefruit sweetness/bitterness

MF: Light bodied crisp

A very easy drinker, that exceeded my expectations, going down good on a "cool" 95 degree Oklahoma evening

08-09-2011 22:47:51 | More by russpowell
GorillaMedic

3.54/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

What can I say? This epitomizes summer for me. A tasty, utterly refreshing seasonal brew that is light on its feet and refreshing when outside working or playing.

The grapefruit flavor is very evident in both the aroma and the taste and sets this apart from most citrusy summer brews—the grapefruit is very forward, very real and natural tasting, and if you like it (I do) very tasty.

This beer is pretty heavily carbonated; I feel like this makes it more refreshing and less of a complex, interesting drink.

This is my go-to summer-evening-outdoors beverage.

06-29-2013 00:28:54 | More by GorillaMedic
moosemoose

3.53/5  rDev +12.1%

Bottle into pint glass

A: Golden orange. Very bubbly. One finger head dissipates within a minute.

S: Notes of juniper and lemongrass over grapefruit and small amounts of citrus.

T: A bit watery. Ginger. I can't taste the grapefruit as much as others, I suppose. Lemon with a hint of mint.

M: Very crisp and refreshing. Light body. Highly carbonated.

O: Drink one (or two) after mowing your lawn.

06-14-2011 03:52:19 | More by moosemoose
tronester

3.53/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours a clear golden with hints of orange. Non-existent head. Nice pickled ginger aroma. Taste begins with a big blast of ginger, followed by a bit of grapefruit sweetness. After that is a little bready maltiness. Very clean, neutral finish. Not bitter at all despite the grapefruit flavor. Mouthfeel is a bit thin. Overall a pretty good beer, light and refreshing.

09-19-2012 23:48:35 | More by tronester
allengarvin

3.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Bright clear amber-gold with a very small head. Little lacing. Aroma is bland, with some hints of ginger. Flavor: about what can be expected: a mix of solid ginger with citrus tartness. The ginger is fine, but the grapefruit doesn't really work; it's not identifiably grapefruit, to me. Malt and hops are barely detectable at all.

A very average beer. Shiner has one really good beer in their line-up: Holiday Cheer. I was hoping for this one to show off Texas grapefruit like the Cheer does Texas peaches, but this is another forgettable beer from the "little" brewery in Spoetzl.

05-08-2011 17:19:05 | More by allengarvin
StarlightSeraph

3.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear, pale-gold. One finger of frothy white head that dissipates to nothing rather quickly, almost like I was pouring a soda. No lacing whatsoever.

Smell: Smells a lot like ginger-ale, so I'm definitely picking up the ginger that the beer advertises. Some grapefruit rind in the background, but I'm not getting any of a grapefruit aroma.

Taste: Tastes a little like ginger ale, too. More bitter grapefruit flavors in the taste than in the smell. Bare hints of malt linger for quite a while, reminding me that this is a beer. There is a bitterness on the end, but it's hard to tell if it's from the ginger/grapefruit rind or from the hops. All that being said, this is a fruit/vegetable beer, advertised as being a summer beer, and in that sense, it succeeds. The ginger and grapefruit are both noticeable, though I would like to see a stronger flavor of both.

Mouthfeel: There's an initial fizzy bite with each sip, but the rest of each sip seems flat. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing with this beer, however, as it makes it easier to drink.

Overall: I think this is one of those beers where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. This is a different, enjoyable summer beer, very refreshing after a hot day. While I think the grapefruit and ginger flavors could be more pronounced, I enjoyed this.

05-30-2011 00:25:35 | More by StarlightSeraph
Nerudamann

Oregon

3.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Look - dark golden in color, clear, with only about half a finger's worth of off-white foam that dissipates somewhat slowly.

Smell - the mix of grapefruit and ginger is very interesting in regard to the smell, but most of what comes off is the ginger. No hops or malts wildly evident.

Taste and Mouthfeel - right away there a taste of the ginger. In the middle it has a little bit more of a hoppy flavor, but with no bitterness or bite. In the finish and aftertaste you can taste the grapefruit, but it too is not bitter. Texture is pretty well balanced.

Overall - well, it's an interesting beer, but I can't say that I love the taste. It's not bad, it just tastes more like a ginger ale soda than a beer.

06-02-2011 03:30:10 | More by Nerudamann