Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Reviews: 235 | Hads: 1,125
3.6/5  rDev +15.4%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12 oz bottle into a Samuel Adams tasting glass. The label lists the abv at 4.01% and it also gives a nice description of the beer.

Appearance: The body is very clear and light to medium amber in color. It head is off white and quick fading despite a very active carbonation flowing up though the beer. After the first sip the head has completely disappeared and subsequently there is no lacing to speak of.

Smell: The aroma is light overall. I get some dry spicy gingerbread notes standing out over light grainy maltiness.

Taste / Palate: The flavor starts with a light grainy base malt with notes of ginger and mild white peppercorn. Very mild notes of tart grapefruit like citrus move in and lead into the dry snappy finnish. Hop favor seems very subdued but very complimentary to the Ruby Red grapefruit juice and it definitely adds to the dryness. The palate feels light and quite lively. (943 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +15.4%

A- Pours a light orange color, quite clear. Basically no head even with a fairly agressive pour- I've got to dock some points for that, the beer just looks kinda of syrupy- like a warm orange soda.

S- A kick of ginger hits my nose. It's kind of nice- somewhere between fresh and candied ginger. I'm searching for some fruit or malt or hops but all I'm getting is ginger. But to be honest I like that. It really appeals to my proclivity for ginger ale, and spicy gingery ginger ale.

T- That is... weird. Much drier and more minerally than expected. I guess the look tricked me into expecting a super sweet beer, but that's not what I get. The ginger flavor is watered down. The grapefruit is there, not super strong, but coming out especially in the aftertaste, like eating a fresh grapefruit slice pith and all.

M- I could definitely take more carbonation in this beer. The ginger makes it sharper than it would be otherwise, but even so it would make for a better refreshing beer.

O- I expected to really like a grapefruit and ginger flavored beer, but I wasn't expecting to be super impressed with a Shiner beer. So I think this met those combined expectations. I like the ginger smell, but the taste is a little too watery. (1,230 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

You need to like Grapefruit to enjoy this beer
Its a bit sweet as well, all in all a good grab for a hot day

it pours light to medium gold with a grapefruit citrus hitting you in the face, the hops are lacking like others have commented. The key here is the grapefruit and effervescent quality. So if your looking for an enjoyable summer beer you have one (357 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint: Transparent light gold with no head.

Smells of grapefruit & ginger (duh, I know, but yeah), lemon, a little tea.

Taste is citrus soda (Fresca, like) with ginger & a light, slightly musty & dry Euro-ish lager taste. Moderately crisp bitter at the end with nice grapefruit peel & ginger aftertaste.

Light-bodied with an assertive dryness & kick from carbonation that's apparently hidden visually. Leave a sort of heavy bristle in aftertaste.

Good summer sipper, & this is my own bias but I'm very into ginger late so that maybe gives it an extra little boost for me right now. Half-soda, half-beer. (641 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +14.7%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, no bottle dating. Pours slightly hazy bright orange color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty lacing clings on the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of slightly tart grapefruit, lemon, lime, ginger, pear, cracker, bread, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of grapefruit juice, ginger, and pale malt notes; with solid strength. Taste of slightly tart grapefruit, lemon, lime, ginger, pear, cracker, bread, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Slight herbal spice bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, lemon, lime, ginger, pear, cracker, bread, and herbal/grassy earthiness on the finish for a very short bit. Good balance and solid robustness of grapefruit juice, ginger, and pale malt flavors; with a good malt/spiciness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Good amount of dryness after the finish as well. Medium carbonation and light-medium boded; with a very smooth, crisp, and slightly bready mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with zero warming present after the finish after the finish as expected of 4%. Overall this is a good spiced blonde ale style. All around good balance and solid robustness of grapefruit juice, ginger, and pale malt flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering. (1,453 characters)

12 fl oz bottle poured into a weizen glass

A: Apple juice color. Lots of fizzy head that dissipates in seconds. Less head then a soda. Bubbles of CO2 remind me of champagne.

S: Honestly, nice smell. Sweet ginger and then the bite of grapefruit. No 'beer' smell really.

T: Taste is nice too. Citrus taste with ginger hints. Slightly sweet. Not too sweet though.

M: Drinks like a sticky soda.

Drinkability is average. I could drink 2 maybe 3, but I wouldn't finish off the 6-pack. (483 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +14.7%

I guess this is what shiner replaced their Smokehaus (RIP) beer with. Smells quite a bit like grapefruit and a hint of ginger. I disagree with other reviewers on here that say the ginger is overpowering, I think it works fine. It doesn't suffer from the obnoxious sweetness that plagues a lot of the fruity beers I've tried. Fairly refreshing. I will miss the Smokehaus though (~~RIP~~) (386 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours a clear, golden straw color. Head is 1/3 inch and white. Lots of bubbles rising throughout, head retention and lacing were average at best.

Beer smells of sweet citrus and some straw malt. For some reason I'm getting the aroma of Sprite or 7-up. Ginger or cinnamon is also detected.

Taste is unique, part mexican lager, part fruit flavored malt beverage ie: Smirnoff. Ginger is probably the most dominant flavor in the beer. Light, crisp malts are also present, hops are not. Alcohol is non existent.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, crisp and well carbonated. Head didnt contribute to beer, grapefruit left a bitter citrus-y aftertaste

Overall this was a good, light, thirst quenching summertime beer. Definitely unique with the ginger/grapefruit combo. Wish I could take a growler of this to the pool, great outdoor/patio beer. (835 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Understanding that the Shiner Brand isn't really a craft maker, they do offer a few beers that are worth a try and plus its a great local favorite for us Texans.

When poured in a Pint Glass:
The color is an amber with plenty of bubbles. The head fizzes out rather quickly. The taste holds obvious hints of the citrus fruit added. It goes down smooth and is a great summer refresher. (383 characters)

Bottle into pint glass

A: Golden orange. Very bubbly. One finger head dissipates within a minute.

S: Notes of juniper and lemongrass over grapefruit and small amounts of citrus.

T: A bit watery. Ginger. I can't taste the grapefruit as much as others, I suppose. Lemon with a hint of mint.

M: Very crisp and refreshing. Light body. Highly carbonated.

O: Drink one (or two) after mowing your lawn. (401 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours a clear golden with hints of orange. Non-existent head. Nice pickled ginger aroma. Taste begins with a big blast of ginger, followed by a bit of grapefruit sweetness. After that is a little bready maltiness. Very clean, neutral finish. Not bitter at all despite the grapefruit flavor. Mouthfeel is a bit thin. Overall a pretty good beer, light and refreshing. (365 characters)

look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Tasted On: 06-09-2013
Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 12 oz. brown bottle, twist-cap
Glassware: Globe glass
Purchased: 6-pack from Kroger

Orange-amber in color, clear, with a small white head. The head fades quickly with low retention and really no lacing to speak of.

Aromas are of grapefruit, and ginger, giving it a smell akin to a ginger ale soda with some fruit additions.

The taste has a bit of tartness up front from the grapefruit, and then features a good amount of ginger - enough to notice, but not so much as to overwhelm like some ginger beers I've had. Tastes like a fruity ginger ale in many ways, but still has some beery characteristics.

The mouthfeel is prickly from the high carbonation, on a light body. Finishes with quite a bit of ginger aftertaste.

Overall an easy-drinking and refreshing hot weather beer, although it doesn't taste quite like a traditional beer. (897 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I was expecting another shandy type offering but this is way more interesting.

a: nothing too special, thin head.

s: really, really gorgeous. Grapefruit and ginger on top of a mellow toasty smell.

t: not sweet. It's beer, not a cooler or a shandy. There's ginger but it doesn't taste like ginger ale, and there's grapefruit but it doesn't taste like a cocktail. No one particular flavour is really dominant, but it all blends really well.

m: fizzy and refreshing.

o: I bought one of these out of a singles bin and then went back for a twelve-pack. Really well done and more interesting than a lot of the other seasonals. (625 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours with a nice head which evaporates before too long. Lovely orangey yellow shade of beer tone, however. Gingery aroma. Watery body and a pleasant prickly mouthfeel. A richer carbonation would improve this summer beer, however.

Lots of fruit with a citrus edge. The grapefruit taste is distinct without being very bitter. Actually, it doesn't taste anything like the grapefruit we say big hop IPAs taste like. Tangy ginger flavor gives this a spicy touch. Ginger ale, lemonade, and a Witbier taste. Thoroughly drinkable. From the 22 oz botle bought at Depot Liquor in Brownwood, Texas. (589 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

What can I say? This epitomizes summer for me. A tasty, utterly refreshing seasonal brew that is light on its feet and refreshing when outside working or playing.

The grapefruit flavor is very evident in both the aroma and the taste and sets this apart from most citrusy summer brews—the grapefruit is very forward, very real and natural tasting, and if you like it (I do) very tasty.

This beer is pretty heavily carbonated; I feel like this makes it more refreshing and less of a complex, interesting drink.

This is my go-to summer-evening-outdoors beverage. (564 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

I like grapefruit and I taste it some IPA so when I saw this I had to try it. Its not an IPA but its good. hard to describe, similar to a Weiss Bier and fruity. Better than Shiner Bock. Low alcohol. easy to drink. This is good for a hot humid summer night. I just with the ABV was higher. (288 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

A - Poured a very small head that dissapated quickly. Otherwise has a very nice clear, reddish amber color. Carbonation level looks good.

S - mostly pick up the ginger, the grapefruit juice is also present. Otherwise just enough yeast/hops/malts to tell its a beer. Doesn't smell like beer but still smells pretty good.

T - it's not beer, but it's good. Reminds me very much of reeds ginger beer. The ginger is the most noticeable, with fruity undertones and a slight cereal grain flavor that let's you know it's still a beer.

M - not overly carbonated, good for what it is, less than a ginger ale which is good here.

O - this is something I picked up in a cheap make your own six pack at the grocery store just to give it a try. Honestly I thought it was just a summer seasonal from shiner and didn't see the grapefruit and ginger part of the label, and probably wouldn't have tried it if I had. I'm actually glad I did. Don't get me wrong, by my standards this isn't beer, which makes rating it here kind of difficult, but I gave it a decent rating because whatever it is, it's pretty good. I mentioned reeds ginger beer, which I really like, and this really reminds me of it. Very refreshing after a hot day. I would probably buy this again if I was in the mood for something a little different. (1,302 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Bright clear amber-gold with a very small head. Little lacing. Aroma is bland, with some hints of ginger. Flavor: about what can be expected: a mix of solid ginger with citrus tartness. The ginger is fine, but the grapefruit doesn't really work; it's not identifiably grapefruit, to me. Malt and hops are barely detectable at all.

A very average beer. Shiner has one really good beer in their line-up: Holiday Cheer. I was hoping for this one to show off Texas grapefruit like the Cheer does Texas peaches, but this is another forgettable beer from the "little" brewery in Spoetzl. (583 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Look - dark golden in color, clear, with only about half a finger's worth of off-white foam that dissipates somewhat slowly.

Smell - the mix of grapefruit and ginger is very interesting in regard to the smell, but most of what comes off is the ginger. No hops or malts wildly evident.

Taste and Mouthfeel - right away there a taste of the ginger. In the middle it has a little bit more of a hoppy flavor, but with no bitterness or bite. In the finish and aftertaste you can taste the grapefruit, but it too is not bitter. Texture is pretty well balanced.

Overall - well, it's an interesting beer, but I can't say that I love the taste. It's not bad, it just tastes more like a ginger ale soda than a beer. (749 characters)

3.49/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours joney colored with near zero beige head.
Zero head rentention & lacing

S: Peaches & grassyness, faint ginger notes

T: Peaches & grassy notes, plus red grapefruit up front. A touch of dryness, a bit of honey & more red grapefruit, along with white grape & faint peach notes. Finishes fairly crisp with a nice grapefruit sweetness/bitterness

MF: Light bodied crisp

A very easy drinker, that exceeded my expectations, going down good on a "cool" 95 degree Oklahoma evening (480 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours clear and amber in color with an off-white finger width head. Fair retention, resulting in a broken layer of suds across the surface. Lacing is spotty with fair stick.

Smell - Moderate grain aroma. Light grapefruit.

Taste - Moderate notes of slightly toasted grain. Ginger and less discernible spices. Maybe some nutmeg? Grapefruit builds throughout the process, coming through in moderation near and into the finish. More sweet than bitter.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium body with fair to lively carbonation. Goes down easy before a crisp finish.

Overall - A fair summer brew. The grapefruit doesn't quite shine in the way one might expect from the labeling, but it's presence is certainly not amiss. I'd drink this again if offered, but I don't think I'd buy it again. (791 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear, pale-gold. One finger of frothy white head that dissipates to nothing rather quickly, almost like I was pouring a soda. No lacing whatsoever.

Smell: Smells a lot like ginger-ale, so I'm definitely picking up the ginger that the beer advertises. Some grapefruit rind in the background, but I'm not getting any of a grapefruit aroma.

Taste: Tastes a little like ginger ale, too. More bitter grapefruit flavors in the taste than in the smell. Bare hints of malt linger for quite a while, reminding me that this is a beer. There is a bitterness on the end, but it's hard to tell if it's from the ginger/grapefruit rind or from the hops. All that being said, this is a fruit/vegetable beer, advertised as being a summer beer, and in that sense, it succeeds. The ginger and grapefruit are both noticeable, though I would like to see a stronger flavor of both.

Mouthfeel: There's an initial fizzy bite with each sip, but the rest of each sip seems flat. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing with this beer, however, as it makes it easier to drink.

Overall: I think this is one of those beers where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. This is a different, enjoyable summer beer, very refreshing after a hot day. While I think the grapefruit and ginger flavors could be more pronounced, I enjoyed this. (1,398 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: pale yellow-orange. Hardly any head.

As one other reviewer has said, this smelled like ginger ale.

It tasted like less-sweet ginger ale. Not much bitterness to speak of. I got the grapefruit flavor, but only because I was looking for it. As a grapefruit lover, I wish there had been more; it certainly could have helped balance the very-sweet flavor.

This is the first gingery-beer I've had, and I think I liked the idea of it more than the result; I'd rather it be a little more beer and less ginger-ale; mixing this 50-50 with a good wheat beer might result in a pretty good product.

Overall, it was a nice change and decent summer brew. (655 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into the free Shiner Bock mug I got with the sixer. Woo Hoo.... Free shit!!!

A) It's a yellowish orange. I guess that makes it amber. There was very little head and no lacing.

S) It kind of smells like a combination pine/grapefruit car air freshener. I think I mean this in a good way.

T) The initial flavor to me is that of lemon and grapefruit peel. The ginger is quite present in the finish, probably a little too much ginger for my taste. It does make it quite refreshing.

M) A light bodied beer, as you would expect. The carbonation seems right for the style. There is sizzle from the ginger.

O) Pretty good on a hot and humid summer day. This beer is certainly not for everyone, but I think Shiner hit the target they were aiming for. (773 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +10.9%

Another fine Texan beer shared by Bobby.

Light amber color with a white head. Smells slightly citrusy, maybe some of the grapefruit coming though, but the ginger is much more prominent. Quite light overall. The flavor is quite heavy on the ginger, perhaps too much. A little bit of citrus, too. Quite refreshing, actually. Light body with medium carbonation. (359 characters)

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner