Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Reviews: 246 | Hads: 1,160
3.48/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear, pale-gold. One finger of frothy white head that dissipates to nothing rather quickly, almost like I was pouring a soda. No lacing whatsoever.

Smell: Smells a lot like ginger-ale, so I'm definitely picking up the ginger that the beer advertises. Some grapefruit rind in the background, but I'm not getting any of a grapefruit aroma.

Taste: Tastes a little like ginger ale, too. More bitter grapefruit flavors in the taste than in the smell. Bare hints of malt linger for quite a while, reminding me that this is a beer. There is a bitterness on the end, but it's hard to tell if it's from the ginger/grapefruit rind or from the hops. All that being said, this is a fruit/vegetable beer, advertised as being a summer beer, and in that sense, it succeeds. The ginger and grapefruit are both noticeable, though I would like to see a stronger flavor of both.

Mouthfeel: There's an initial fizzy bite with each sip, but the rest of each sip seems flat. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing with this beer, however, as it makes it easier to drink.

Overall: I think this is one of those beers where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. This is a different, enjoyable summer beer, very refreshing after a hot day. While I think the grapefruit and ginger flavors could be more pronounced, I enjoyed this.

3.48/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear golden with a touch of ruby. Normal head volume, poor retention and no lacing.

Nice vibrant light nose of light sweet grapefruit over biscuit. As it warms, ginger comes to the forefront.

Light body with a texture similar to water. Superb carbonation with a bit of effervescence in the middle and a finely bubbled prickly finish.

With more intensity and complexity the flavor profile would be outstanding. Light grapefruit and ginger roll across the biscuit base. Middle bitterness is only a hint. The finish does deliver a nice burst of ginger and a nice spicy heat. Beef this beer up and it is an outstanding contender. As is, it's a good lawnmower beer.

3.47/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: pale yellow-orange. Hardly any head.

As one other reviewer has said, this smelled like ginger ale.

It tasted like less-sweet ginger ale. Not much bitterness to speak of. I got the grapefruit flavor, but only because I was looking for it. As a grapefruit lover, I wish there had been more; it certainly could have helped balance the very-sweet flavor.

This is the first gingery-beer I've had, and I think I liked the idea of it more than the result; I'd rather it be a little more beer and less ginger-ale; mixing this 50-50 with a good wheat beer might result in a pretty good product.

Overall, it was a nice change and decent summer brew.

3.47/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into the free Shiner Bock mug I got with the sixer. Woo Hoo.... Free shit!!!

A) It's a yellowish orange. I guess that makes it amber. There was very little head and no lacing.

S) It kind of smells like a combination pine/grapefruit car air freshener. I think I mean this in a good way.

T) The initial flavor to me is that of lemon and grapefruit peel. The ginger is quite present in the finish, probably a little too much ginger for my taste. It does make it quite refreshing.

M) A light bodied beer, as you would expect. The carbonation seems right for the style. There is sizzle from the ginger.

O) Pretty good on a hot and humid summer day. This beer is certainly not for everyone, but I think Shiner hit the target they were aiming for.

3.46/5  rDev +11.3%

Another fine Texan beer shared by Bobby.

Light amber color with a white head. Smells slightly citrusy, maybe some of the grapefruit coming though, but the ginger is much more prominent. Quite light overall. The flavor is quite heavy on the ginger, perhaps too much. A little bit of citrus, too. Quite refreshing, actually. Light body with medium carbonation.

3.46/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: pours out a clear, dark straw color with a thin white head that faded quickly. carbonation racing up the glass. It looks a lot like carbonated apple juice.

S: i get a lot of citrus in the nose. smells like grapefruit and lime. I also get a good amount of ginger, and some straw aromas. there is a sweetness in the aroma as well. i actually like the aroma.

T: i get quite a bit of ginger at first, and then it goes into a grapefruit flavor, and finishes bitter like a grapefruit. it needs a little more malt flavor i feel. it almost tastes like carbonated water, but at the same time i sort of like it.

M: thin and very carbonated.

O: overall i think this is a pretty good beer. it would be perfect for lounging at the pool here in phoenix. This is intended as a summer seasonal, and i think it fits that pretty well. It is thin and refreshing. i dont think i would buy this at the bar, but i would buy a six pack for my next pool party.

3.45/5  rDev +10.9%

Appearance: Firm pour gives me no head on an extremely clear amber glass.

Smell: Grapefruit rind with fresh ground ginger, pretty much what it says on the tin. There is some classic Shiner yeast and a bit of a soapy, candle scent, but all in all I like the core smell.

Taste: A small let down from the nose, much more of a soda taste, a ginger ale if you will. The ginger does leave a light heat behind, encouraging the next sip.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light body, fizzy carbonation, pretty dry finish.

Overall: Ok, I'm a bit of a fanboy for Shiner, but I could see picking up another 6er of this for a Summer sipper, and one I could see offering to guests. Walks a crazy line, but glad to see Shiner willing to take some risks.

3.44/5  rDev +10.6%

A grapefruit and ginger beer.

Looks like a clear golden colored soda with fizzy carbonation to match. No head at all, thin body, as if it is trying to be a shandy. The problem with this is that the beer was *brewed* with the grapefruit juice, so that it can't technically be called a shandy. Judged as a beer, the texture and appearance are not good.
The first thing that hits on the nose is the strong ginger aroma, followed by minor chords of citrus peel (but distinctly NOT from hops) and than the bready malt underneath. Perhaps even the slight hint of cinnamon. Tastes dry and pleasingly spicy, puckers you up with grapefruit acidity in the middle of the sip but that element gets out of the way rather than building up cloyingly, so bonus points for that.
Behaves like a 50/50 blend of summer beer and ginger ale that somebody squeezed the essential oils of a piece of red grapefruit rind into. Does indeed fill the role of a summer thirst-quencher, but it is one of those strange brews that fall into the category of "barely even able to call it beer anymore."
The basic malt and yeast of a beer are often lost beneath ginger ale elements in this brew, which may or may not be a problem for you depending upon what you are seeking from your bottle. An excellent thirst-quencher with nice flavor? It has you covered. A craft beer? Umm...not exactly.

look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I have to Admit it,this took some Major Balls by the brewer..I mean right off the bat, Grapefruit & Beer? Seriously? I mean maybe if it was a California brewer,But TEXAS? they shoot you for this Kind of stuff in Texas dont they? hehe;)
Anyway,Came across this @ my local Beer shop,and since I will try Any Beer Once,I had to check it out,purty cheap too~5 bucks a 6er,so what the Hell!
Now I was Not expecting Much going in,I mean Beer & Grapefruit does not sound that gr8 to me,but I do like a lot of fruit beers,and I dig a good Ginger beer also~
Poured a 12oz Bottle of "Ruby Redbird" into a Pabst Pint Glass~
humm? Looks Kinda Nice Actually,maybe a Ginger ale/Light Lager with a shot of Grenadine..perhaps a strawberry Blondish color more or less.
It Smells Very Nice too,Grapefruit,spicy Ginger,with just a Hint of Malt,No hop odor whatsoever,Citrus Hints..about it.
Taste~Purty damn tasty to be Honest,Very Light and zesty,I get a little Malt taste up front with a Grapefruit/Citrus Mix following,and then a rather nice Ginger Finish,and just like the smell,I really can not detect any Hops @ all.
Now this Beer probably will not win you any Tough Guy Points with your meathead Buddies,or earn you any respect from your Hop Head Friends,who Only Drink IPA's,but I could care less about that kind of crap.
Now I am not saying "Ruby Redbird" is going to take the place of my Favorite summer time beers anytime soon [Flying Dog's woody Creek & Sam Adams Summer Ale] but Hell ya! I think it's a very good choice when you have some Yard work to do,and a soda or lemonade just aint cuttin it,or washing the car,Painting the house..whatever, with a very Low ABV [4.1%] it's a good choice when you want a crisp refreshing VERY Light beer with something off the beatin track..Grapefruit! hehe;)
Cant really think of much Grub this would go with besides Fruit & perhaps some Buttery cheeses..perhaps Guda,Edam & Brie may be ok,though probably best as an "Apertif~Cheers & Peace2All.

3.44/5  rDev +10.6%

A - Golden orange body with a spritey head that dissolves quickly.

S - Smells like a malty grapefruit. Slightly sweet, slightly bitter. Interesting.

T - Intense grapefruit on the front, finishes with decent smoothness. Lots of crispness and bite with little harshness. Interesting.

M - I'm yearning for a bit more carbonation. I think that this would make the beer much more enjoyable for me. It has such a smooth finish and plenty of grapefruit character, it seems like the intensity could be lacking in this dept.

O - I've never had a grapefruit beer before. The concept is interesting. Did Shiner deliver? Certainly in flavor. Some areas were lacking IMO, but I did enjoy.

3.43/5  rDev +10.3%

Had tied this at the local beer grotto. Ended up getting it a lot over the summer at the house as it FLEW out of the fridge.

Admittedly, my wife is a fan of flavored beers. Not me. But this was different. Not a foo foo beer at all. The best our neighborhood could come up with is that it is the perfect summer beer. Light in taste. Crisp citrus finish then a hint of grapefruit. Not overpowering, but a tease.

A hard beer to get/keep in Ft. Lauderdale with good reason!

3.42/5  rDev +10%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Somewhat of an orange-ish tan color, clear, not a lot of head or lacing.

Aroma is pleasant, you can definitely smell the ginger. The grapefruit is less pronounced, but it's probably there in what I would describe as more of a citrusy note. There's a light background of malts as well.

The taste follows the smell pretty nicely. Plenty of ginger, especially on the finish. Citrus notes all the way. Malts are basic but ample. There's not a lot of hops.

Body is light and refreshing, and despite the lackluster appearance, it's amply carbonated.

It's a very pleasant and enjoyable beer. I wouldn't mind having a few of these while messing around in the shed in the back yard on a summer day.

3.42/5  rDev +10%

Poured almost exactly like ginger ale, fizzy carbonation that disappeared instantly. Slightly yellower than ginger ale, but otherwise looks like pop.

Ginger is the main thing I pick up in the nose.

Interesting. I think I could create this with 50% ginger ale, 30% water, and 20% macro lager. Not really picking up the grapefruit, I guess that's why people use hops instead of actual grapefruit. That said, the flavor is growing on me. Light and crisp. Ginger in the finish, though sort of a stale grassy note in there as well.

Very carbonated.

You know, this was interesting, and I'm still not convinced it's actually a beer, but if I were in Texas and it was like 120 degrees out, I bet it would go down easy. Maybe I'm feeling charitable, or I just like ginger ale, but as a mindless summer beer, this was all right.

3.42/5  rDev +10%

It pours nicely, looks like an IPA colourwise, good 1 finger head of foam, not much lacing. The foam leaves the scene very quickly but the colour is nice.

The smell is attractive to me; strong nose of ginger, side note of some grapefruit.

The taste is so similar to the smell and what I expected after taking a few whiffs. Ginger takes no. 1, grapefruit no.2, and for what Spoetzl intended, or at least what I think they intended, they hit the nail on this one. I love a good ginger ale, ginger beer...so I'm enjoying sipping and drinking this 4.01%abv concoction. I guess it *could* have been listed as one of them there malternatives but like I said it's doing okay for me and I do find it rather refreshing. My bucks wasted on a 6 pack? Nah.

3.42/5  rDev +10%

L: dark gold in color. Small white head that did not last, has no lacing.

S: can smell the grapefruit and a hint of ginger. Has a very clean smell.

T: grapefruit hits you first and then the ginger sneaks in on the finish with a small bite

F: light carbonation leads to a dry tartness from the grapefruit

O: I like this but am not sure if it would be a beer I would grab if I had some other choice. The bottle said to drink ice cold but as I let it warm the favors started to pop better.

3.4/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Good light summer beer. Has a nice grapefruit undertones. Nothing spectacular but good for what it is. I keep it out by the pool to enjoy on hot summer days in Houston. It is a bit thin, but part of the summer beer appeal. I drink it straight from the bottle so I can not comment on color or head.

3.36/5  rDev +8%

Okay, so it's a fruit beer, and fruit beer's really don't taste like traditional beers with a solid malt bill.

Shiner Ruby Redbird is kind of like a ginger ale, but with alcohol. I'm talking about a serious ginger ale, not the mass produced "natural flavors" ginger ale.

In my light it looks amber-orange. The head left in a hurry. It smells of ginger up front with the sweet bitterness of grapefruit in the shadows. Again, it tastes and feels like a ginger ale. My guess is there is not one cultivar of hops listed in the ingredients for this recipe, but I haven't seen the blackbook of the brewmaster. Call it a hop-free beer if you can stand to imagine such a blasphemous concoction.

Refreshing? Yes. Satisfying? Sure. Does it stand a chance when I've got a choice between it and Bell's Amber Ale or another favorite of mine, Sierra Nevada's Torpedo? No. That being said, nice try.

I like you Shiner Ruby Redbird, but I don't love you.

3.35/5  rDev +7.7%

This is why I try new beers...even when it's Shiner. I really like this beer. I smell and taste more rosemary than grapefruit, but I can pick out the grapefruit. Either flavor is a bit much on the tongue. Golden in color with, as George would say, "...a pinkish hue." Plenty of carbon dioxide, but not much of a head. Zero head, as a matter of fact. Put it in a can, and it'll be my new fishin' beer. Ooooh, I almost forgot, it's got a tangy finish. Genuinely tangy, but not Tang. That would be gross.

3.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured a amber with no head or lace.
Aroma of citric, earth and pine.
Taste of a slight citric grapefruit with a ginger dryness.
The mouth is left with a sweet tart lingering grapefruit tartness.
Overall an ok summer beer but not a fan of lower abv brews that tip-toe into its flavor profile.

3.32/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours clear and the color of a dark apple cider with no head or lacing. Smells of citrus and ginger, very similar to Bud Light Lime, slightly artificial.

Taste-Light and refreshing, well balanced. The grapefruit gives is a sweet taste with a faint taste of giner lingering on the back end. Seems to have more of a malt presence than most other summer fruit beers. Mouthfeel is light and refreshing.

Overall this beer serves it's purpose well. Very refreshing on a hot summer day or for grilling out.

3.32/5  rDev +6.8%

A: Clear orange color with no head and lots of noticable carbonation.

S: Smells like malt and ginger.

T: A bready, honey malt background gives way to a ginger and grapefruit flavor. The flavors aren't strong and then disappear quickly.

M: highly carbonated.

O: Call me crazy, but for a summer seasonal beer, this is pretty good. But I do love ginger ale, so I may be biased here. It's light, refreshing, easy drinking, and not overbearing. A great summer session beer.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a clear dark golden color with a thin carbonated head. Head retention is non-existent. Lacing is minimal. Has a lot of carbonated bubbles. Has more of a sweet, berry and grapefruit aroma with a hint of spicy hops at the end. Very little malt in the taste. Mainly a light grapefruit with a mild spicy hop at the end. I still taste some berry in there, maybe raspberry. Light bodied with heavy carbonation. Taste artificial to me. Not much to it. Would drink again, but it would have to be if only adjuvant lagers are only other option.

3.31/5  rDev +6.4%

Shiner Ruby Redbird
12 oz. bottle; $1.49 Total Wine & More, Claymont, DE

So I have a Shiner Ruby Redbird sitting here before me. I know nothing about it except that it's listed here on BA as a "Fruit / Vegetable Beer". Odd.

It poured a clear deep-golden orange amber body beneath a short head of white that simply vanished. Perhaps my glass is not "beer clean", but it only leaves minor spots of lace that appear and fade between sips.

The aroma is interesting. It's sweetish, and spicy. I'm thinking ginger and lemon, and perhaps some berries (which is probably coming from the yeast). It's clean and inviting.

In the mouth it's light-medium in body and gently zesty.

The flavor clearly displays the ginger. It has the spiciness, but it also has the more 'meaty' flavor of the ginger. I'm not sure about the lemon I found in the nose as it seems more like lime here. Regardless, there's a little bit of citric acid tartness that helps balance it as there's very little bitterness; however, the malt isn't really that sweet, it's just a slightly bready, straightforward golden malt. You notice the malt at the end, but upfront it's all ginger.

I sampled this beer fairly warm, and I wonder what it would be like ice-cold on a sunny day while cooking outdoors. The cold might make it seem a little more spicy and gingery. And it would cover up the malt a bit more... it's almost not a "beer". But OK, it's at least refreshing, and a touch interesting. It's not a beer that I'd immediately reach for or buy again, but I can think of quite a few mainstream American lagers and/or light beers that I'd pass over for this one. I'm not sure I can give this one a "worth trying", but that wouldn't be the worst thing you could do.

3.3/5  rDev +6.1%

- Beer brewed with ruby red grapefruit juice and ginger. Served cold as suggested.

A: Rustic oxidized orange with a translucent clarity and a quickly diminishing fizzy beige head that showed a polished clean surface. Carbonation was quick at pace of fine misty bubbles while no window dressing was evident.

S: The aroma was distinct of fresh pink grapefruit, juice like in character, fresh pulp variety. Beyond the pink grapefruit you may be hard pressed to pick up much else.

T: The flavor was fresh grapefruit juice, sweet and tart notes. Again hard to distinguish hop, yeast, or malt character, but this isn’t uncommon per style. Some ginger notes come on, but is the grapefruit juice that is front and center focus of this beer. Smooth and refreshing.

M: Good amount of body, though only a slight amount of carbonation.

O: You may forget your drinking a beer here, though it keeps within the guidelines, low malt and low hop profile, clean yeast, with a forefront of the fruit/vegetable highlighted. Has no mention of alcohol, and drinks like a dream if you are a fan of grapefruit juice (of which I am). Labeled as a great summer time beverage, consumed cold on a hot day, hell I will go as far to say this is the ultimate breakfast beverage as you may not be able to tell this apart from virgin grapefruit juice. Overall as a beer would call this worthy per style, and a solid good rating if you’re a fan of grapefruit juice.

3.3/5  rDev +6.1%

Pleasant soft aroma with hints of the grapefruit and slightly stronger the ginger. The grapefruit grows in time making an interesting and enjoyable nose presentation.
Smallish fairly dense white head caps a brilliantly clear dark gold body.
Soft malt flavors going towards breadiness. Tartness from the grapefruit leads to a very extended dryness closing in on more astringency than I appreciate. Pick ups of the grapefruit primarily and the ginger secondarily add interest to the flavors.
Lighter body with a wee bit bigger carbonation that fits the beer well.
Ya' know this is an all right beer. There are several components that are quite good, but the flavors for me ultimately aren't satisfying, however, as a summer seasonal, it's an interesting and unique alternative of which I give the brewery kudos.
Thanks Dave.