Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.01% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011)

2.23/5  rDev -29.9%

I'd heard mixed reviews of this beer from folks around town and needless to say the almost bi-polar reviews on here intrigued me. Like another reviewer before me, I've never actually written a review on BA for anything, but felt that I should chime in on this one.

A: Poured into a pint glass straight down the middle looking for a head to really release the aroma. About a 1/2 finger head was present for a few seconds before quickly dissipating. Has a nice amber color and visible carbonation.

S: Fresca. No joke. You get a nose full of citrus-y grapefruit which I think it just amped up by the ginger.

T: The first thing I noticed about this beer as it hit the tongue was the carbonation. Next you get a mouthful of grapefruit and citrus notes. Mild, mild hops are present but are just blown away by the grapefruit. Leaves a bitter citrus aftertaste on the back of the tongue.

M: Light and heavy carbonation. Like drinking a 7-Up or Fresca.

O: I'm not sure where I stand on this one. Compared to other "fruit beers" such as Dogfish Head Aprihop or Magic Hat #9, this is falls terribly short. I wouldn't put it in the same flavor category as a Lambic due to how watered down this would taste in comparison.

The closest comparison I can think of would be Miller 64 with a slice ruby red grapefruit added. Very drinkable, but worth it?

Opinions are mixed though. Some people really love it, and some like myself feel let down. All in all, I'd at least say give it a try and reach your own opinion.

2.2/5  rDev -30.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a light tangerine color with a fizzy head that fizzles away like a soda. The remaining liquid looks like a deep colored ginger ale, complete with active carbonation.

Smells like ginger ale as well, with a sweet gingery aroma, with undertones of malt. I'm doing a double take at this point to make sure that this is, in fact, a beer and not a soda.

Taste is... odd. Like unsweetened ginger-ale, or ginger-flavored soda water. The carbonation is present in the taste, with a dry maltiness underlying the beer. Absolutely no bitterness exists whatsoever. This is almost more like a lightly flavored malted wine cooler, and not a beer.

Light bodied, heavily carbonated with CO2 and not yeast, this is not the most enjoyable mouthfeel I've ever had.

Can you say chick-beer? Give this a pass, unless slightly flavored soda water is your idea of a beer.

2.2/5  rDev -30.8%

Strong smell of grapefruit and ginger. Called the perfect summer beer but I have had many that were better. I generally prefer dark beer and reds but this red didn't work. Taste was unpleasant and fruit overpowered the beer. Bad aftertaste. Prefer regular Shiner to this. Not for me and I like just about any beer..

2.2/5  rDev -30.8%

Pours a lifeless deep gold bordering copper, no head or retention. Aroma of grated citrus peel and ginger, light malts. In the flavor, twangy ginger, yeast and sour citrus. Flaccid bitterness and bone dry. Over carbonated, too much grapefruit, not enough balance. Unless you love dry grapefruit juice, I'd select a different beer than this.

2.13/5  rDev -33%

This was recommended by a clerk in my favorite beer store when another customer asked about it. It sounded appealing because grapefruit and ginger are favorites and I'm open to trying fruit beers. I bought a six-pack to try and what a disappoinment. I like ginger a lot but the bitter ginger flavor in this overpowered all other flavors. I tried a small serving again with friends a few days later during a meal and it was slightly better with food. Others thought it would be good on a hot summer day but I can think of many other beers I'd rather drink as an afternoon cooler. I will defintely pass on this.

2.13/5  rDev -33%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my River Horse glass.

A: Light gold with the faintest hint of pink? Or is that my imagination? Head faded very quickly to nothing.

S: Some sweetness, but the nose is dominated by spice, strangely enough. Just a big ginger smell, maybe a bit of clove. Much more intriguing if this were soda.

T: Bit of sweet malt out front, then a total grapefruit/tart citrus bomb. The ginger is present at the end. Seems to get a little better with each sip, perhaps that's my palate being obliterated?

M: Thin, watery, and highly carbonated. Refreshing? I guess.

O: Hard to call this beer. The fruit and spice flavors are the huge majority of the flavor. I get that it is supposed to be refreshing, but I can't imagine enjoying this no matter how thirsty I was.

EDIT: Based on having a second one out of the bottle whilst hot and sweaty, I've adjusted the scores slightly. Not good, but a bit better.

2.13/5  rDev -33%

I poured this seriously nasty brew into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The brew (and I'm calling that because its not beer) was slightly red/pinkish and poured a really weak head. It smelled like coca cola believe it or not and was just about as carbonated tasting. The taste was fruity/sour yuk!. I love Shiner Bock but I'll never put another of these up to my mouth.

2.1/5  rDev -34%

Gets off to an unpromising start by topping its orangish golden body with a head as thin and short lived as soda fizz. Aromas are subdued to the point of barely existing. I get a whiff of something like sparkling mineral water, a hint a citrus, and light grains. The grapefruit is only slightly more prominent on the palate. Has flavors of light, nondescript grains, with a few drops of watery fruit punch, with nothing really popping or asserting its presence. I don't detect much in the way of ginger (which the label says it was brewed with). Easily my least favorite of the Shiner lineup.

2.08/5  rDev -34.6%

2.04/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Bought a sixer at Round Rock Specs for 7 bucks...was hoping this might be my easy drinking lawnmower beer this summer...umm, it won't be.

Poured a very light orange...a head that lasted about 14 seconds...absolutely no lacing at all after that...nothing.

Interesting...Smelled like...kinda like a ginger ale or a sprite. Seriously, smelled more like a soda than a beer...maybe a bit of grapefruit...certainly no hint of booze.

What is this? Is it really beer? Is it? Tasted like a watered down ginger ale...not even a good ginger ale at all. Did not taste like beer whatsoever. What the hell are you thinking Shiner?

This is a gimmick beer at best...brewed for people who miss Zima or do not even like to drink beer. I'm upset I bought a sixer...wish i'd only bought a single.

2.03/5  rDev -36.2%

Amber golden color with a fluffy head that is short lived.
Predominant sweet aroma of oxidized grapefruit juice and ginger.
Soda flavor with artificial notes of grapefruit and mostly ginger, not otherwise.
Dry aftertaste with a very mild bitterness.
Light body with soda like carbonation.
This didn't taste it as beer, it sure tasted as a ginger beer. I was expecting a flavorful grapefruit APA, but it came out as a sugary soda drink. This could have been so much better.

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery