Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Reviews: 246 | Hads: 1,160
2.89/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

P- Wegmans in Mechanicsburg, PA

A- clear light copper tone color. Minimal head and little lacing. No carbonation either.

S- ginger, ginger, and more ginger. Almost like smelling ginger ale soda. I don't get any grapefruit at all.

F- umm...its like drinking ginger ale with some grapefruit juice thrown in for good measure. The malts are weak and give no definition to the beer.

M- crisp, smooth and light bodied. Ginger Ginger Ginger

O- its good if you like drinking ginger ale with alcohol. I wont be having another.

3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

A - Poured a very small head that dissapated quickly. Otherwise has a very nice clear, reddish amber color. Carbonation level looks good.

S - mostly pick up the ginger, the grapefruit juice is also present. Otherwise just enough yeast/hops/malts to tell its a beer. Doesn't smell like beer but still smells pretty good.

T - it's not beer, but it's good. Reminds me very much of reeds ginger beer. The ginger is the most noticeable, with fruity undertones and a slight cereal grain flavor that let's you know it's still a beer.

M - not overly carbonated, good for what it is, less than a ginger ale which is good here.

O - this is something I picked up in a cheap make your own six pack at the grocery store just to give it a try. Honestly I thought it was just a summer seasonal from shiner and didn't see the grapefruit and ginger part of the label, and probably wouldn't have tried it if I had. I'm actually glad I did. Don't get me wrong, by my standards this isn't beer, which makes rating it here kind of difficult, but I gave it a decent rating because whatever it is, it's pretty good. I mentioned reeds ginger beer, which I really like, and this really reminds me of it. Very refreshing after a hot day. I would probably buy this again if I was in the mood for something a little different.

3.25/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

24oz bottles -- buy 2 get one free Shiner promotion at the local Publix Jupiter,Fl.,, including their wheat "belgian" (i doubt it)
served around 65° , has good carbonation ,nose light malt, citrus nose,
yea ginger is in here a little on the finish
The finish is actually of coriander when beer warmed up some.
I know what citra and similar hops taste like, not citra hops, more like the citrus pulp residue left over from juicing citrus in the beer.
Sam Adams and Oregon brewer's successfully use citra hops, but not in this beer.
I have made ale with citra,cascade hops naaa

ah yes good for chili like a few suggested good for cooking..not overwhelming however
I dont mind adding my own citrus such as lime in an iced beer when making Michelados on a hot day, this would make a good Michelados.

Having been out to Fredericksburg,kerrville and sampled the local ales, a Munich ale it isn't claims full body Munich ale .. no.
Served cold it's ok not awfull, just ok.

Pretty Lite beer for a German style, well to serve the yuppie larvae all i can figure. Need some good barley malted ales here cut back on the rice and corn malts and you'll have a winner.

3.63/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer has a singular purpose - quench your thirst on a hot hot day, and THAT it will do exquisitely well.

The addition of the ruby red grapefruit and ginger, adding to the astringency of the hops - outstanding combination.

This is a rather "light" brew allowing the flavor of the grapefruit and ginger to "shine" through without being overwhelming... You still know it's beer.

What tastes better after a long day in the hot sun; gardening, weeding, mowing? Of course - a cold brew. What tastes better than a cold brew after a long day doing yard work in the hot sun? Yeah... a Shiner Ruby Redbird.

No wonder the store sold out. (They had a whole pallet of this stuff on the floor on Friday. Monday it was GONE!)

Until now I did not like fruit in my beer. I may have to rethink that.

3.03/5  rDev -2.6%

A- light amber with no head. Therefore, no lacing. There is a small amount of visible carbonation. It looks relatively lifeless.

S- very very light. Some ginger and yeast...not much else.

T- warming ginger spice, some grapefruit. Yeasty finish. Once again, this one falls short.

M- light bodied, prickly carbonation.

O- I was expecting strong ginger and acidic grapefruit... I received none of that. Not good.

2.2/5  rDev -29.3%

This was recommended by a clerk in my favorite beer store when another customer asked about it. It sounded appealing because grapefruit and ginger are favorites and I'm open to trying fruit beers. I bought a six-pack to try and what a disappoinment. I like ginger a lot but the bitter ginger flavor in this overpowered all other flavors. I tried a small serving again with friends a few days later during a meal and it was slightly better with food. Others thought it would be good on a hot summer day but I can think of many other beers I'd rather drink as an afternoon cooler. I will defintely pass on this.

3.64/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This is the first time that I have ever heard of this beer and I bought some and It is actually really good. It is refreshing and has a fruity taste to it. I have always liked shiner beers but this one is really good. The smell to it is not that bad as well. I tried it for the first time on vacation and I really liked it. I am hoping that I can find some here at home. Shiner made a good summer beer. It is refreshing and not too strong of a taste at the same time. The smell is actually good as well. It is not too heavy or too light and I like that. For anyone who likes Shiner beers they should try this beer.

4.35/5  rDev +39.9%

Not a huge Shiner fan but i love this beer despite that most reviews here are not favorable. It's a specific beer for a specific time of year (i.e. on a hot summer day). I find it incredibly light and refreshing. A perfect beer for a hot summers day.

2.45/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 oz. bottle poured into a Burley Oak snifter

A: Orange copper color with no head or lacing. A lot of bubbles stuck to the side initially.

S: I just get malty citrus in the form of grapefruit, plus a a tinge of ginger.

T: Grapefruit flavored ale, period. Ugh. As I was eyeing it up, a person in the aisle grabbed a six pack and said that he loved it, so I figured that would be the last one in my mix six.

M: Smooth, with just a bit of carbonation.

O: This was a letdown. I'd recently had Harpoon's Big Squeeze, which is a shandy with grapefruit juice and I'd loved it. But this is billed as a fruit/vegetable beer, so I guess that is the big difference. Anyways, not a fan and didn't finish it (cooked with it instead).

2.98/5  rDev -4.2%

Clear amber with almost no head or lacing. Smell is grapefruit ginger and light malt.
Taste is lightly bitter with red grapefruit ginger and light bready malt. Grapefruit tastes more bitter than I expected. Maybe some grapefruit zest included?
Mouthfeel was light with low carbonation. No crispness or zing. Overall it tastes like a beer with a shot of pink grapefruit added. The ginger was in the background mostly with a bit of spice in the finish.

2.9/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy dark orange with a foamy khaki head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. No lacing on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, ginger, and grapefruit juice aromas. Taste is much the same with ginger and grapefruit flavors on the finish. However, when the beer warms up the flavors turn metallic and salty. There is a mild amount of earth bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty poor beer that smells like a solid ginger beer soda, but has a shift in flavors that make it hard to drink when it warms up.

3.14/5  rDev +1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Overall not a bad beer but wasn't one of my favorites. The appearance was light yellow with a nice head, sniffed and found an abundance of grapefruit in the nose. The taste was a little odd with a quick yet intense grapefruit flavor, but then it immediately was gone and overtaken by a sweet, almost molasses, flavor that tasted like breakfast sausage. Interesting but not the best I've tried.

3.6/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

You need to like Grapefruit to enjoy this beer
Its a bit sweet as well, all in all a good grab for a hot day

it pours light to medium gold with a grapefruit citrus hitting you in the face, the hops are lacking like others have commented. The key here is the grapefruit and effervescent quality. So if your looking for an enjoyable summer beer you have one

3.69/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled last night on 4/14/14. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a amber in color with a pinkish hue that has about a 1-finger off-white head that settles down to just the top. Some spotty lacing was seen. The aroma is of some ginger and citrus with some hops. The taste actually has a lot going on with a good amount of ginger mixed with various hops and grapefruit coming through. Strange finish as it tasty a bit 'soapy' for some reason. Lots of carbonation as is noticed by the small streaming bubbles. Overall, it is different and isn't bad.

2.28/5  rDev -26.7%

I wanted to like this beer, really I did.

I like Citra hops, and right there on the back label is says Citra, Cascade and Mt. Hood are used; all excellent. So, I'm thinking: "Ruby red grapefruit with Citra ... what a wonderful, tangy combination!" Then there's the 4% ABV, which is right up the alley I've been walking lately: beers with 5% ABV or less. And to cap it off, Shiner's stuff is often on sale for $4.99 a sixer.

But I should have gone to the Shiner website before my purchase. The Ruby Redbird webpage says nothing about the hops used, AND THE IBUS ARE ONLY 13. THIRTEEN?? What'd you do, Spoetzl, pass an open baggie of hops over the kettle like you do with Vermouth when making a super-dry martini? I found little hop presence, as a 13 IBU wound suggest. But why promote hops on the label when their contribution to smell and taste are hardly noticeable?

The color is actually very nice; looks like filtered apply juice. I did find the grapefruit and ginger in the smell and taste ... BUT NO DARN HOPS! It was also about as flat as apple juice; no carbonation to speak of.

The more I think of it, the more I think the mention of any hops at all on the back label is deceptive advertising. Either fix the beer with more hops, Spoetzl, or print up some new labels that promote this beer for what it really is: a grapefruit/ginger beer.

2.48/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Pours a medium amber with a pinkish hue. Zero head upon pour, looks like a glass of fruit juice. The nose feature musty grainy notes paired with notes of wheat, vegetal notes reminiscent of squash, no real discernible grapefruit. The taste is a mess. It starts with tart citric grapefruit notes which are undercut by strong husky grain flavor. No hops to speak of, and no real balance between flavors. Mouthfeel is absent of appropriate carbonation... all I get is a bit of prickle sensation, but it seems out of place. Overall, not impressed. A grapefruit beer with citrus hops would be way more exciting than this, all we get here is an artificial tasting lackluster brew.

3.44/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I have to Admit it,this took some Major Balls by the brewer..I mean right off the bat, Grapefruit & Beer? Seriously? I mean maybe if it was a California brewer,But TEXAS? they shoot you for this Kind of stuff in Texas dont they? hehe;)
Anyway,Came across this @ my local Beer shop,and since I will try Any Beer Once,I had to check it out,purty cheap too~5 bucks a 6er,so what the Hell!
Now I was Not expecting Much going in,I mean Beer & Grapefruit does not sound that gr8 to me,but I do like a lot of fruit beers,and I dig a good Ginger beer also~
Poured a 12oz Bottle of "Ruby Redbird" into a Pabst Pint Glass~
humm? Looks Kinda Nice Actually,maybe a Ginger ale/Light Lager with a shot of Grenadine..perhaps a strawberry Blondish color more or less.
It Smells Very Nice too,Grapefruit,spicy Ginger,with just a Hint of Malt,No hop odor whatsoever,Citrus Hints..about it.
Taste~Purty damn tasty to be Honest,Very Light and zesty,I get a little Malt taste up front with a Grapefruit/Citrus Mix following,and then a rather nice Ginger Finish,and just like the smell,I really can not detect any Hops @ all.
Now this Beer probably will not win you any Tough Guy Points with your meathead Buddies,or earn you any respect from your Hop Head Friends,who Only Drink IPA's,but I could care less about that kind of crap.
Now I am not saying "Ruby Redbird" is going to take the place of my Favorite summer time beers anytime soon [Flying Dog's woody Creek & Sam Adams Summer Ale] but Hell ya! I think it's a very good choice when you have some Yard work to do,and a soda or lemonade just aint cuttin it,or washing the car,Painting the house..whatever, with a very Low ABV [4.1%] it's a good choice when you want a crisp refreshing VERY Light beer with something off the beatin track..Grapefruit! hehe;)
Cant really think of much Grub this would go with besides Fruit & perhaps some Buttery cheeses..perhaps Guda,Edam & Brie may be ok,though probably best as an "Apertif~Cheers & Peace2All.

2.98/5  rDev -4.2%

Oddly compelling, Shiner quenches the thirst of Texas with light bodied ale that's jazzed up with grapefruit and ginger. This strange dialogue somehow works out is highly refreshing form.

Medium golden in color, the beer shows bright clarity to highlight its dance of carbonation that races to the surface. Once there, a cottony head emerges only to fall back into the beer soon after. Its a zesty and somewhat fizzy appearance that lacks any lacing at all.

Ginger spice dominates the nose. It tingles and tantalizes the olfactory senses with a backdrop of citrus, apples, and light caramel. A scent of bread crust can be uncovered after the nose becomes accustomed to the more prominent fruit and spice.

Again, getting past the peppery ginger focal point- the acidic taste of grapefruit, lemons, apples and white grapes provide both an estery complement to go along with citrus fruit additions. Supported by the taste of toasted grain and seemingly "Grapenuts" cereal, its a husky almost rye-like underpinning. Lightly hopped, the beer finishes with sassafras-type minty and citrusy bitterness.

Light and zesty in texture, at least while the bubbles are present. The beer feels playfully like champagne and gives the beer a scrubbing refreshment. But those bubbles are short lived and the beer falls quite flat very quickly. This reveals a watery finish that's full of mineral flavor and grain-derived astringency. The spice of ginger saves the beer by covering up its grain flaws with warmth.

Although Ruby Redbird doesn't appear to be the best formulated beer by any means, Its odd recipe comes together in much the same way that creative mixed drinks to. I just wish that the spice and fruit had more malt support

2.06/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

This sells pretty well at my store, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Pours darker than expected. Like a marzen, light copper/caramel. No head after a burst of bubbles.

Aroma is stale or rotten apple skins with some grapefruit rind thrown in there.

Flavors are worse. The grapefruit certainly isn't ruby red. Maybe green grapefruit skins and pulp. That rotten apple is still there in the background. Provides some sweetness, but the bitterness from citrus rinds is too much.

Too much rind and not enough grapefruit flavor. Although that would be unfavorable, too.

2.4/5  rDev -22.8%

This is a love-hate beer and I find myself in the hate camp and surprised to see it still on store shelves.

The body and taste is "watery"/thin -plenty of citrus yet is more like a lager than a radler/shandy. I do enjoy the citrus aspect of hops and like grapefruit -which is showcased in this beer but the flavor comes from the fruit and not the hops in the case of Shiner Ruby Redbird. Perhaps as a Pale ale with grapefruit the beer would be more appealing.

3.28/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Picked this up at Fairway in Woodland Park for a dirt cheap price of $5.99 (or was it $6.99), figuring that it would be a steal at best and a lawnmower beer at worst. My expectations were low for this given that I'm not a fan of this style of beer, but I wanted to see if this would buck that trend. Although it didn't, there wasn't anything not to like about this and it was so unoffensive that I actually had to pace myself when drinking this, in order to actually take the time and see if there was anything worth savoring.

Other reviewers on here saw a bit of a head on this when it was poured out but this was the first beer that I've ever seen where there wasn't a head at all to be found. Zero. Zilch. Nada - just like the lacing from start to finish. This allowed for the dull goldenrod hue to stand out a bit more and since there was hardly any carbonation to be seen, this had the appearance of flat soda. Not much of an aroma here either and the taste was that of a ginger beer, along with lemon zest and flat champagne. Any alcohol here was along the taste and feel of Zima and only the snap of ginger remained in the aftertaste, well into the next sip.

Sure, this was a session beer...but that's only assuming that more than one would be had in a sitting. For me, I could have a few at a time but it's easy to see why most people would only drink one of these before moving onto something else. There's not much to love here and unless you're looking to kick back with a few on a hot afternoon, there's not much to take away from this. This was pretty much a textbook example of what a Summer seasonal should be.

2.5/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint.

A: Dark amber hue. Lots of rising effervescence. Pours a slight, bubbly head, which disappears quickly. No lacing.

S: Malt, grapefruit, and copious amounts of ginger.

T: Tastes like it smells. Bitter pecan shells, fruit pith, and raw ginger.

M: Light body, syrupy palate-coating feel. Bitter finish. Kind of washed out and shallow.

D: Session.

Atmosphere is okay. Dark amber, with rising effervescence that eventually taps out, very slight head, and no lacing. Grains with lots of ginger and some grapefruit. Bitter fruit and raw ginger. Overall, this is a serviceable quaff.

2.77/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Picked this beer up at the local grocery store in a make your own 6 pack...it boasts on the bottle that it is "the perfect summer brew"

Noting very minimal lemon, and some spices with hops in the initial smell, really not very appealing.

Can taste a very small amount of lemon in the first sip but not enough, spices, hops, and carbonation dominate the flavor. This beer is highly carbonated and actually takes a lot away from the taste of the beer, and actually hurt my stomach a little bit.

For a beer claiming to be the perfect summer beer, this one leaves a little to be desired, it is just average or even below average.

3.15/5  rDev +1.3%

A: Pours a crystal clear medium golden yellow in color with light amounts of visible carbonation and some copper highlights. The beer has a quarter finger tall fizzy off-white head that quickly reduces to a tiny patch of extremely thin film and a very thin ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of lemon and ginger.

T: Upfront there is a light to moderate flavor of pale and caramel malts. That is followed by moderate flavors of ruby red grapefruit, lemon, and ginger which lingers through the finish. Minimal amounts of bitterness are present and fade very quickly.

M: Light bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Thin and watery.

O: This is easy to drink but reminds me more of a Radler than anything else. I don't think I enjoyed this one. As another reviewer stated, it reminds me of Fresca combined with ginger ale more than it does a beer.

3.79/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: golden reddish pour -- head quickly dissipates, no lacing -- l like some head and lacing so this was a sore spot for my tastes
Smell: fruity as expected, no problem
Taste: l liked it a lot -- the grapefruit and carbonation resembled a Fresca, my fave soda
Mouthfeel: ok, very drinkable due to carbonation and low alcohol content
Overall: done in by no head. Sam Adams Summer Ale still the summer beer of choice

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner