Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Ratings: 1,093 | Reviews: 250
3.67/5  rDev +15%

The appearance is of a flat golden hue that had a nice head that disappated quickly leaving minamal lace.

Wow, the ginger and grapefruit are out on the front for sure, This is interesting.A slight malty goodness is up front then the ginger grapefuit kicks in hard. There seems to be some hops in there but they must be teased out.

The flavor follows the nose with the exception that therte is a hop bitterness and some hop citrus.

This is light and for good reason, It is from the south.

I like this brew, it is true to a summer beer for us in the extreme heat. Bravo Spoetzl we love your stuff here in south carolina.

3.69/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled last night on 4/14/14. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a amber in color with a pinkish hue that has about a 1-finger off-white head that settles down to just the top. Some spotty lacing was seen. The aroma is of some ginger and citrus with some hops. The taste actually has a lot going on with a good amount of ginger mixed with various hops and grapefruit coming through. Strange finish as it tasty a bit 'soapy' for some reason. Lots of carbonation as is noticed by the small streaming bubbles. Overall, it is different and isn't bad.

3.69/5  rDev +15.7%

A. Poured a amber copper color with a short diminishing off white head no lacing on the glass.

S. Grapefruit, cinnomon, lemmon, grass,some ginger

T. Slightly sourand aslight spiciness.strange taste but I liked it, has tea like quality

M. Light and effervecent. A good duration

O. Even though this brew has a verry strange flavor I liked it I would have to say it would be even better on a really hot summer day.

3.71/5  rDev +16.3%

Bought some at Central Market after I started a small debate about it on the Southwest forum. Definitely a unique beer and maybe my favorite Shiner beer... though I guess that's not exactly a ringing endorsement. Served in a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

The beer pours a clear solid gold with a white head that dissipates quite quickly. If there was any sort of head whatsoever, I'd really like the looks... but there's not.

The nose is ginger ale. Interesting. Am I really drinking beer? Deeper sniffs reveal fleshy, authentic grapefruit. I don't think I've ever had this fruity of a grapefruit flavor in a beer. I'm not sure that I prefer that, but it sure is interesting.

The taste is also mostly Ginger ale. There's also a good adjunct lager behind that. These flavors flow into that same fleshy grapefruit, which leaves a grapefruity bitterness... which doesn't really call forth hops. Interesting again. I wish they used some of the fruitiness of the hops (mmmm.... Citra), but this is a unique offering.

The mouthfeel is that of a smooth adjunct lager. Highly drinkable. Not over carbonated. This stuff goes down quickly and I've already finished my second in half an hour. Just plain interesting stuff.

3.72/5  rDev +16.6%

Bottle into pint glass.

A: clear gold with a short-lived white head.

S: Ginger beer, with a vague grapefruit undertone. Judging by the smell alone, this should taste like some sort of sweet soft drink with a strong ginger kick.

T/M: Soft drink mouthfeel -- quite thin, minimal body. Impressive ginger kick that serves to mask some of the grapefruit's bitterness in the finish. Pleasant sweetness up front, most likely from the malt and the grapefruit. (Texas grapefruits are sweet.)

Overall: Does not taste like beer and is quite dangerous in that respect. Though the alcohol content is fairly low, it drinks like a good ginger beer and, thus, can lead to unexpected intoxication. It's great as a thirst quencher and balances ginger bite, sweetness and bitterness well enough to be quite effective as a session beer. Except that 4%ABV is sneaky.

3.72/5  rDev +16.6%

This new seasonal from shiner cut the heat like A lightsaber. Even though most any frosty cold beer will cool you down on a hot summers day, The Ruby Rerbird did it with style.

I poured right into the pint glass, and though I was expecting a deep, sanguine red ale (on account of the name), I was surprised to see a hazy, rustic yellow ale. Either way it smelled fantastic, biting at my senses with that ginger aroma. Whooo-eee! If anything, the ginger kick dominates the grapefruit addition - but its still there. The fruity notes are undeniably there on the palette.

Good mouth feel, if not a little fizzy right? Better try a second to be absolutely sure.

3.79/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: golden reddish pour -- head quickly dissipates, no lacing -- l like some head and lacing so this was a sore spot for my tastes
Smell: fruity as expected, no problem
Taste: l liked it a lot -- the grapefruit and carbonation resembled a Fresca, my fave soda
Mouthfeel: ok, very drinkable due to carbonation and low alcohol content
Overall: done in by no head. Sam Adams Summer Ale still the summer beer of choice

3.82/5  rDev +19.7%

Pours red amber mostly light in color with a 1/2 inch of head that actually sticks around for quite a while.

Smell is pretty nice I do get some grapefruit and maybe ginger. The wheat base in this smells very fluid.

Taste was actually quite impressive since it makes for a pretty sweet/tart summer beer. Grapefruit isn't bitter but it does seem very natural with the balance of wheat. Not getting much ginger but it contributes to the balance of the beer.

Mouthfeel is light to medium. Not bad.

Overall I could see picking up a six pack since most places around here have Shiner for around 9 bucks a six pack. Not a bad fruit based beer at all.

3.82/5  rDev +19.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Well, if nothing else this is sure to be interesting. This one pours out an orange-gold color with a tiny head, no lace. Smells a touch like sugar-sweet ginger ale, with just a touch of maltiness. The taste is a lot like ginger ale, with some sweet red grapefruit on the back. The taste is nice, the ginger and grapefruit are really up front, with just a little bit of nutty malt on the very backend. A very drinkable beer. The mouthfeel is light and carbonated. This is a pretty solid summer brew that's quite unique.

3.86/5  rDev +21%

Nice orange gold color. Smells of grapefruit with floral notes. Taste is crisp clean grapefruit followed by ginger with a nice warning effect. It is good and refreshing.

3.89/5  rDev +21.9%

Appearance - this beer has a golden color with a touch of red. Observe the head quickly because it disappears fast.

Aroma - the initial hit is sweet, pink grapefruit. Only after it settles down can I pick up some spicy ginger. I like the combo.

Taste - only a hint of sourish grain at first sip. Lots of grapefruit and ginger flavor. It could easily go sweet but does not. The flavors stay light and with good balance between the two flavorings. The finish is clean if not plain. Tastier as a fruit beverage than a beer, but I do like it.

Mouthfeel - bubbly and crisp, light and refreshing.

Drinkability - these are good. I think pounding through them short-circuits the mild but interesting flavors, yet they are easy to drink down. Toasting this one to my in-laws down in Katy, dodging firestorms tonight. Be safe folks, and to all my Lone Star pals down there, too. Safe home.

3.89/5  rDev +21.9%

Here in South Texas where today the heat index will be above 100 again, this is a great beer to have after sweating. It's relatively low alcohol (4.75%) so you can drink a few of them without getting too intoxicated. It is a very dry and tart beer so it is not for everyone. This has to be served very cold, I have not yet let it grow warm so I'm not sure what it would taste like but I doubt it would improve with a higher temperature. I eat grapefruit often so I love this beer.

3.9/5  rDev +22.3%

I guess I gotta hand it to Spoetzl for doing something a little different. (fondly recollecting the "peachy" Holiday Cheer...I got along with that one okay). This unusual concoction sparked me to stroke a review, the first one in a while.

Worked really hard to get a 1/2" head...very short lived. zero lacing

Redish amber...looks OK. Almost like bourbon in a glass.

Can detect a little lemon and grapefruit in the nose, a little rosemary.

First taste catches me totally off guard... Rosemary! Almost as if I had bitten into a fresh sprig! Was not expecting that..I guess it is the ginger, cascade, grapefruit combo.

A little thin on the mouthfeel

At first, the unusual nature of this struck me as, well, astrigently off the mark. After a couple more, and then a couple more the next day, I am coming to embrace it as a decent summer refresher. On one of those scorching hot summer days, its low alcohol, light bodied, citrusy nature could cause me to beg for more.

EDIT (10/23/11) : After this long long HOT HOT HOT and DRY summer, it seemd that I could not get enough of this one. Ice cold on a hot days straight out of the bottle, went down several 12 packs.

3.9/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I took one from my six pack and poured into a pint glass.
It had a semi - clear yellow color with lots of carbonation to be seen rising throughout a bubbly looking head that quickly died down.
It smelled exactly as the can said, ginger with some grapefruit and it tasted the same as well.
The mouthfeel was slightly harsh but didn't bother me too much as I just figured it was the ginger.
Overall, huh, well how about that, when I sit down and take the time to actually take a look at this beer, it's not that bad. Refreshing, heck yeah, I could be wrong but I'm not sure if I could find anything more refreshing in at least Southeast Alaska.

3.91/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Good for what it is. Very drinkable.

3.92/5  rDev +22.9%

Shiner Ruby Redbird has a thick, white head that doesn’t last long and leaves behind no lacing. The appearance is clear old gold, with very few streaming bubbles. Aroma is of sharp, tart grapefruit zest and some sweet white bread, with a ginger background. Taste is of red grapefruit, citrus sweetness, a touch of ginger, and tap water. Mouthfeel is between light and medium, and Shiner Ruby Redbird finishes dry, refreshing, easy-drinking, and sweet. Overall, this is a good fruit beer.

RJT

3.92/5  rDev +22.9%

Basically it has a light taste of ginger, fresh grapefruit, lemongrass and other citrus characteristics.It all comes together perfectly.To be honest with y'all,look at all the reviews on tap.Not many huh...but there aren't any bad ones.Where as the bottle has horrible reviews mixed in with OK(& great ones scattered around). Sounds like with the bottle of this beer sometimes there is too much carbonation and off tap that problem has not come up at Bombay bar.I have a 32oz bottle of this in my fridge right now but I'm leaving this review for the "tap" because it's simply better and every connoisseur "knows this".In my opinion if you thought it tasted like "bad soda" then I recommend you look up a bar in your area and ask if they have it on tap,guarantee that shit won't happen to you again.

3.93/5  rDev +23.2%

Appearance: I don't love the foam or the lacing. I like the carbonation. I absolutely love the color! It's glowing amber-red-pink, almost radiant, but not unnaturally so.

Smell: Sour/bitter grapefruit. Extremely refreshing.

Taste/Mouthfeel: I have to admit I really liked this. It's amazingly refreshing on a hot summer day in Chicago. It definitely tastes like grapefruit, but doesn't seem artificial (although I don't actually know if this is the case or not). To be fair, the grapefruit does make it fairly one dimensional.

Overall Drinkability: A fruit beer that actually tastes like beer.

3.95/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Great smelling and tasting beer. Lots of ginger and grapefruit.

3.96/5  rDev +24.1%

Shiner makes a great product, I may be biased due to it being the beer of Texas.

Appearance - The grapefruit makes the usual shiner look a reddish brown. It matches the taste and expectations well

Smell - It has a decent smell of the usual shiner but I didn't pick up any citrus. If it would have just a little bit more scent to it I would have been very satisfied

Taste - Now this is a summer beer! It is a great lambric style with a shiner front along with the beautiful sour/sweet grapefruit. I never would have thought it would be good mix, but it works well.

Mouthfeel - Superb mouthfeel with the right amount of carbonation with citrus.

Overall - This is my summer beer. I usually do the Shiner 102 or hefeweizen but I have a new daily drinker

3.96/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

i used to drink shiner bock a good bit- it was the $2 beer at a bar i used to visit when i was in college. i havnt drank it much since. i tried this shiner ruby redbird expecting it to be super sweet. i was surprised and happy to be wrong.
it pours darker than i expected for a summer seasonal. its a golden pressing toward amber. the smell is heavy on the ginger with a little citrus. the taste is full of ginger with a nice, not overpowering, bitter.
i like this beer a good bit and i am gonna pick up some more of it.

3.96/5  rDev +24.1%

This is the first time I've ever seen this in stores, I wonder if I've just missed it the past few years or if it's really that new? Anyway, I had to try it, being a big fan of regular shiner and their bohemian black. It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect, I read other people's reviews that said the ginger is overwhelming, not for me, it's barely there. The grapefruit comes through the most, and honestly it's hard to tell this is a beer. It's quite refreshing and the ABV is low enough that the citrus tastes pretty much drowns tasting any alcohol. The only thing about this beer that isn't superb is the aftertaste... grapefruit always did have an odd aftertaste and it comes through in this. You know the pine-y aftertaste you get from a really deep IPA? Have you ever tried grapefruit seed extract? It's pretty similar. This beer has a pretty heavy, not particularly pleasant aftertaste. It's not horrible, but it caught me off guard. Overall, I like it, it's something new and different and definitely fits the season.

3.99/5  rDev +25.1%

To me this is one of the best summer seasonal beers. In my experience the summer seasonal beers can either be way too fruity or a bit lacking in body and flavor. I found this both refreshing and full of flavor.

As weird as grapefruit beer sounded it was just what my taste buds expected. The balance of citrus and bitter taste on my tongue was perfect. Top that off with a hint of ginger and they have me coming back for more. It is a shame that this one can only come once a year.

The color was what I expected from the shiner family. It had a slight hue of red or amber. The head was only 1/8 inch but that could be to to a poor pour on my part.

All in all my favorite summer beer.

Drinkable and not very sweet.

4.03/5  rDev +26.3%

Made with grapfruit and the that does come through in the taste. This is N excellent summer beer...goes done easy and is very refreshing.

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner