Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.01% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011)
View: Beers (22) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Minkybut

2.13/5  rDev -33%

I poured this seriously nasty brew into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The brew (and I'm calling that because its not beer) was slightly red/pinkish and poured a really weak head. It smelled like coca cola believe it or not and was just about as carbonated tasting. The taste was fruity/sour yuk!. I love Shiner Bock but I'll never put another of these up to my mouth.

08-03-2012 17:47:51 | More by Minkybut
TheHoppiest

2.2/5  rDev -30.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a light tangerine color with a fizzy head that fizzles away like a soda. The remaining liquid looks like a deep colored ginger ale, complete with active carbonation.

Smells like ginger ale as well, with a sweet gingery aroma, with undertones of malt. I'm doing a double take at this point to make sure that this is, in fact, a beer and not a soda.

Taste is... odd. Like unsweetened ginger-ale, or ginger-flavored soda water. The carbonation is present in the taste, with a dry maltiness underlying the beer. Absolutely no bitterness exists whatsoever. This is almost more like a lightly flavored malted wine cooler, and not a beer.

Light bodied, heavily carbonated with CO2 and not yeast, this is not the most enjoyable mouthfeel I've ever had.

Can you say chick-beer? Give this a pass, unless slightly flavored soda water is your idea of a beer.

06-08-2011 00:56:19 | More by TheHoppiest
Klassicchris

Tennessee

2.2/5  rDev -30.8%

Strong smell of grapefruit and ginger. Called the perfect summer beer but I have had many that were better. I generally prefer dark beer and reds but this red didn't work. Taste was unpleasant and fruit overpowered the beer. Bad aftertaste. Prefer regular Shiner to this. Not for me and I like just about any beer..

04-26-2011 01:26:26 | More by Klassicchris
Stinkypuss

2.2/5  rDev -30.8%

Pours a lifeless deep gold bordering copper, no head or retention. Aroma of grated citrus peel and ginger, light malts. In the flavor, twangy ginger, yeast and sour citrus. Flaccid bitterness and bone dry. Over carbonated, too much grapefruit, not enough balance. Unless you love dry grapefruit juice, I'd select a different beer than this.

06-07-2013 00:52:39 | More by Stinkypuss
enusbaum

2.23/5  rDev -29.9%

I'd heard mixed reviews of this beer from folks around town and needless to say the almost bi-polar reviews on here intrigued me. Like another reviewer before me, I've never actually written a review on BA for anything, but felt that I should chime in on this one.

A: Poured into a pint glass straight down the middle looking for a head to really release the aroma. About a 1/2 finger head was present for a few seconds before quickly dissipating. Has a nice amber color and visible carbonation.

S: Fresca. No joke. You get a nose full of citrus-y grapefruit which I think it just amped up by the ginger.

T: The first thing I noticed about this beer as it hit the tongue was the carbonation. Next you get a mouthful of grapefruit and citrus notes. Mild, mild hops are present but are just blown away by the grapefruit. Leaves a bitter citrus aftertaste on the back of the tongue.

M: Light and heavy carbonation. Like drinking a 7-Up or Fresca.

O: I'm not sure where I stand on this one. Compared to other "fruit beers" such as Dogfish Head Aprihop or Magic Hat #9, this is falls terribly short. I wouldn't put it in the same flavor category as a Lambic due to how watered down this would taste in comparison.

The closest comparison I can think of would be Miller 64 with a slice ruby red grapefruit added. Very drinkable, but worth it?

Opinions are mixed though. Some people really love it, and some like myself feel let down. All in all, I'd at least say give it a try and reach your own opinion.

04-18-2011 00:38:35 | More by enusbaum

05-05-2014 13:12:57 | More by Schlafly33
TucsonTom

Arizona

2.25/5  rDev -29.2%

I wanted to like this beer, really I did.

I like Citra hops, and right there on the back label is says Citra, Cascade and Mt. Hood are used; all excellent. So, I'm thinking: "Ruby red grapefruit with Citra ... what a wonderful, tangy combination!" Then there's the 4% ABV, which is right up the alley I've been walking lately: beers with 5% ABV or less. And to cap it off, Shiner's stuff is often on sale for $4.99 a sixer.

But I should have gone to the Shiner website before my purchase. The Ruby Redbird webpage says nothing about the hops used, AND THE IBUS ARE ONLY 13. THIRTEEN?? What'd you do, Spoetzl, pass an open baggie of hops over the kettle like you do with Vermouth when making a super-dry martini? I found little hop presence, as a 13 IBU wound suggest. But why promote hops on the label when their contribution to smell and taste are hardly noticeable?

The color is actually very nice; looks like filtered apply juice. I did find the grapefruit and ginger in the smell and taste ... BUT NO DARN HOPS! It was also about as flat as apple juice; no carbonation to speak of.

The more I think of it, the more I think the mention of any hops at all on the back label is deceptive advertising. Either fix the beer with more hops, Spoetzl, or print up some new labels that promote this beer for what it really is: a grapefruit/ginger beer.

04-14-2014 00:22:46 | More by TucsonTom

Ranz

07-23-2012 22:28:15 | More by Ranz
obrike

2.28/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bought a sixer at Round Rock Specs for 7 bucks...was hoping this might be my easy drinking lawnmower beer this summer...umm, it won't be.

Poured a very light orange...a head that lasted about 14 seconds...absolutely no lacing at all after that...nothing.

Interesting...Smelled like...kinda like a ginger ale or a sprite. Seriously, smelled more like a soda than a beer...maybe a bit of grapefruit...certainly no hint of booze.

What is this? Is it really beer? Is it? Tasted like a watered down ginger ale...not even a good ginger ale at all. Did not taste like beer whatsoever. What the hell are you thinking Shiner?

This is a gimmick beer at best...brewed for people who miss Zima or do not even like to drink beer. I'm upset I bought a sixer...wish i'd only bought a single.

05-26-2011 02:28:31 | More by obrike
AdvocateFan

2.3/5  rDev -27.7%

Light, just a few steps off from being refreshing/thirst-quenching. Grapefruit is prominent, but not as satisfying as I'd hoped for. Ginger kicks a bit of spice. No alcohol flavor detected. Notes of lemon zest/rind. Spritzy (very highly carbonated.)

Best way to sum this up is "Zima reincarnated." Not kidding. Maybe a touch of Tequiza too... Definitely alcopoppy.

I applaud the brewery's continued efforts to add more beers to their line up. Shiner is a trusted TX brand and these excursions help turn people on to drinking better beer and to not fear exploration. But this one I will not be purchasing again. Can't win 'em all!

05-03-2011 02:53:19 | More by AdvocateFan