Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.01% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011)
pmorey

08-29-2014 19:16:49 | More by riordancm
dalygnus

Maryland

3.83/5  rDev +20.1%

Appearance: golden reddish pour -- head quickly dissipates, no lacing -- l like some head and lacing so this was a sore spot for my tastes
Smell: fruity as expected, no problem
Taste: l liked it a lot -- the grapefruit and carbonation resembled a Fresca, my fave soda
Mouthfeel: ok, very drinkable due to carbonation and low alcohol content
Overall: done in by no head. Sam Adams Summer Ale still the summer beer of choice

07-13-2013 21:40:35 | More by dalygnus
DrDemento456

3.83/5  rDev +20.1%

Pours red amber mostly light in color with a 1/2 inch of head that actually sticks around for quite a while.

Smell is pretty nice I do get some grapefruit and maybe ginger. The wheat base in this smells very fluid.

Taste was actually quite impressive since it makes for a pretty sweet/tart summer beer. Grapefruit isn't bitter but it does seem very natural with the balance of wheat. Not getting much ginger but it contributes to the balance of the beer.

Mouthfeel is light to medium. Not bad.

Overall I could see picking up a six pack since most places around here have Shiner for around 9 bucks a six pack. Not a bad fruit based beer at all.

05-29-2012 21:28:04 | More by DrDemento456
shand

3.85/5  rDev +20.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Well, if nothing else this is sure to be interesting. This one pours out an orange-gold color with a tiny head, no lace. Smells a touch like sugar-sweet ginger ale, with just a touch of maltiness. The taste is a lot like ginger ale, with some sweet red grapefruit on the back. The taste is nice, the ginger and grapefruit are really up front, with just a little bit of nutty malt on the very backend. A very drinkable beer. The mouthfeel is light and carbonated. This is a pretty solid summer brew that's quite unique.

05-31-2011 01:58:11 | More by shand
brewdlyhooked13

3.88/5  rDev +21.6%

Appearance - this beer has a golden color with a touch of red. Observe the head quickly because it disappears fast.

Aroma - the initial hit is sweet, pink grapefruit. Only after it settles down can I pick up some spicy ginger. I like the combo.

Taste - only a hint of sourish grain at first sip. Lots of grapefruit and ginger flavor. It could easily go sweet but does not. The flavors stay light and with good balance between the two flavorings. The finish is clean if not plain. Tastier as a fruit beverage than a beer, but I do like it.

Mouthfeel - bubbly and crisp, light and refreshing.

Drinkability - these are good. I think pounding through them short-circuits the mild but interesting flavors, yet they are easy to drink down. Toasting this one to my in-laws down in Katy, dodging firestorms tonight. Be safe folks, and to all my Lone Star pals down there, too. Safe home.

06-22-2011 03:22:10 | More by brewdlyhooked13
scottblaze

3.9/5  rDev +22.3%

I guess I gotta hand it to Spoetzl for doing something a little different. (fondly recollecting the "peachy" Holiday Cheer...I got along with that one okay). This unusual concoction sparked me to stroke a review, the first one in a while.

Worked really hard to get a 1/2" head...very short lived. zero lacing

Redish amber...looks OK. Almost like bourbon in a glass.

Can detect a little lemon and grapefruit in the nose, a little rosemary.

First taste catches me totally off guard... Rosemary! Almost as if I had bitten into a fresh sprig! Was not expecting that..I guess it is the ginger, cascade, grapefruit combo.

A little thin on the mouthfeel

At first, the unusual nature of this struck me as, well, astrigently off the mark. After a couple more, and then a couple more the next day, I am coming to embrace it as a decent summer refresher. On one of those scorching hot summer days, its low alcohol, light bodied, citrusy nature could cause me to beg for more.

EDIT (10/23/11) : After this long long HOT HOT HOT and DRY summer, it seemd that I could not get enough of this one. Ice cold on a hot days straight out of the bottle, went down several 12 packs.

05-08-2011 19:43:32 | More by scottblaze
CDRSchafer

3.9/5  rDev +22.3%

Here in South Texas where today the heat index will be above 100 again, this is a great beer to have after sweating. It's relatively low alcohol (4.75%) so you can drink a few of them without getting too intoxicated. It is a very dry and tart beer so it is not for everyone. This has to be served very cold, I have not yet let it grow warm so I'm not sure what it would taste like but I doubt it would improve with a higher temperature. I eat grapefruit often so I love this beer.

08-07-2014 14:06:55 | More by CDRSchafer
SitkaSteve

Alaska

3.9/5  rDev +22.3%

Changed my mind on just "ticking." Let's see what I can say about this one.
I took one from the six pack and poured into a pint glass.
It had a semi - clear yellow color with lots of carbonation to be seen rising throughout a bubbly looking head that quickly died down.
It smelled exactly as the can said, ginger with some grapefruit and it tasted the same as well.
The mouthfeel was slightly harsh but didn't bother me too much as I just figured it was the ginger.
Overall, huh, well how about that, when I sit down and take the time to actually take a look at this beer, it's not that bad. Refreshing, heck yeah, I could be wrong but I'm not sure if I could find anything more refreshing in at least Southeast Alaska.

07-24-2014 06:21:44 | More by SitkaSteve
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.93/5  rDev +23.2%

Shiner Ruby Redbird has a thick, white head that doesn’t last long and leaves behind no lacing. The appearance is clear old gold, with very few streaming bubbles. Aroma is of sharp, tart grapefruit zest and some sweet white bread, with a ginger background. Taste is of red grapefruit, citrus sweetness, a touch of ginger, and tap water. Mouthfeel is between light and medium, and Shiner Ruby Redbird finishes dry, refreshing, easy-drinking, and sweet. Overall, this is a good fruit beer.

RJT

06-03-2013 23:43:31 | More by RonaldTheriot
mattkoon

South Carolina

3.93/5  rDev +23.2%

i used to drink shiner bock a good bit- it was the $2 beer at a bar i used to visit when i was in college. i havnt drank it much since. i tried this shiner ruby redbird expecting it to be super sweet. i was surprised and happy to be wrong.
it pours darker than i expected for a summer seasonal. its a golden pressing toward amber. the smell is heavy on the ginger with a little citrus. the taste is full of ginger with a nice, not overpowering, bitter.
i like this beer a good bit and i am gonna pick up some more of it.

05-02-2013 18:25:46 | More by mattkoon
Beerfreak676

3.93/5  rDev +23.2%

Basically it has a light taste of ginger, fresh grapefruit, lemongrass and other citrus characteristics.It all comes together perfectly.To be honest with y'all,look at all the reviews on tap.Not many huh...but there aren't any bad ones.Where as the bottle has horrible reviews mixed in with OK(& great ones scattered around). Sounds like with the bottle of this beer sometimes there is too much carbonation and off tap that problem has not come up at Bombay bar.I have a 32oz bottle of this in my fridge right now but I'm leaving this review for the "tap" because it's simply better and every connoisseur "knows this".In my opinion if you thought it tasted like "bad soda" then I recommend you look up a bar in your area and ask if they have it on tap,guarantee that shit won't happen to you again.

05-10-2012 07:49:22 | More by Beerfreak676
tjsdomer2

3.95/5  rDev +23.8%

Appearance: I don't love the foam or the lacing. I like the carbonation. I absolutely love the color! It's glowing amber-red-pink, almost radiant, but not unnaturally so.

Smell: Sour/bitter grapefruit. Extremely refreshing.

Taste/Mouthfeel: I have to admit I really liked this. It's amazingly refreshing on a hot summer day in Chicago. It definitely tastes like grapefruit, but doesn't seem artificial (although I don't actually know if this is the case or not). To be fair, the grapefruit does make it fairly one dimensional.

Overall Drinkability: A fruit beer that actually tastes like beer.

08-31-2012 03:21:58 | More by tjsdomer2