Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.01% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011)

tbryan5, Dec 31, 2012

Dello, May 26, 2014

TCJosh, Jun 29, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +33.6%

This is my "mowing the lawn" beer.. or admiring the lawn after I pay someone else to do it... it's freakin hot in Texas. Easy to love.

grg001, Sep 04, 2014

sarahski, Dec 12, 2013

Steven21805, Nov 04, 2012

JeffSuttonTX, Mar 10, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +33.6%

This is my favorite Shiner beer, but I also do like and drink grapefruit juice as well. Despite that fact, I was a bit apprehensive about "beer and grapefruit" but it was quite good. The amount and flavor of grapefruit was just right; not overbearing but enough to tell (without knowing the name) what fruit was included. Will definitely buy this again.

razordm, Aug 26, 2012

lesslikemath, Mar 18, 2013

Tenente, Aug 18, 2012

jryanj927, Aug 18, 2014

bobtheseventh, Jun 10, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +33.6%

I... Like... this... beer! and i did NOT think i would! GO SHINER!!! I love SB and the black and some of the others but when my wife brought this home i was beyond skeptical - flash back to smokearse... i mean smokehaus... but it was a sorta hot day... i was ready for cold beer so... and the cute little label was so inviting. so i poured one in a cold glass - no much head, some bubbles nice gold color. but the smell was quite nice - i walked outside... the grapefruit and ginger were there and the hops too... somewhere back there... i walked out in the yard... the wind blew the trees around... kids where yelling... my neighbor was mowing. i downed a redbird and got another - and another... next day we had some friends over. we chilled out back and knocked back some redbirds... it was a good day... its gonna be a nice long summer... thanks shiner. its about DAMN time... this beer is unique- the grapefruit and ginger are up front but not overpowering - very tart and almost dry but very refreshing when its hot and humid... best ice cold. it is not sweet at all - i hate sweet beer but this is not sweet at all. i love to slosh it around in the glass it bubbles up and goes crazy - also lets that grapefruit smell out...

have not tried with food yet - i bet it would be great with pho!

i love ipa etc but this is something different and i'm so glad shiner did it. totally makes up for the smokehaus! i knew you had it in you shiner - now keep it up - GO CRAZY!!!

titusgroan, May 01, 2011

Rkeller93, Jul 18, 2014

Danielbt, May 10, 2012

rw1992, Aug 02, 2014
4.28/5  rDev +34.6%

This really is the perfect summer beer. I found myself googling the 2013 in stores date in the winter. This is my favorite beer and if you have not had it yet then you are missing out. Most bars and grocery stores have it available from March - September so pick some up if you haven't already

dwalthall12, Jun 28, 2013
4.33/5  rDev +36.2%

I CAN hardly CANtain my joy at having found this in the cooler at Bocktown (Robinson) during my recent visit to Da Burgh. The CANQuest (TM) rejoices!

From the CAN: "Summer Seasonal Beer"; "Beer brewed with Texas Ruby Red grapefruit juice and with ginger and natural flavor added"; "Serve ice cold on hot days".

It is hot and humid and my asthma is kicking into high gear today, so this would be the day for it. It is plenty cold, coming right out of my reefer and once the Crack happens, an inverted Glug into my glass. The nose is amazing! The ginger is pungent and the grapefruit only enhances the smell. I got a brief finger of tawny head following the Glug, but the humidity killed it. Mouthfeel was thin and a little watery, but the taste was very gingery, almost tea-like in its mellowness. Finish was really dry and quite refreshing. I would load a cooler with CANs for a day at the beach.

My original Bottle review of 16 Feb 2013:

Local trader, tone77, recently dropped this off for me, along with a buncha others in a mixed case. I always look forward to his CARE packages and I try to reCANpricate as best as I CAN muster between visits.

From the bottle: "The perfect summer brew"; "Summer seasonal ale brewed with Texas Ruby Red grapefruit juice and with ginger and natural flavor added"; "Ginger [-] all natural tropical spice"; "Grapefruit [-] sweet citrus of the Rio Grande Valley"; "Serve ice cold on hot days"; "This crisp, refreshing summer seasonal is brewed with Texas Ruby Red grapefruit juice, the signature citrus of the Rio Grande Valley. Tartness from the grapefruit and a delightful kick from ginger combine for a taste that's perfect for hot summer days. Its deep gold color and full body come from pure Munich malt and Mt. Hood, Citra and Cascade hops balance the flavor well."; "There's nothing finer! Than a summertime Shiner!"

I am always put in mind of the early Hawaiian Punch ads with Punchy, asking the tourist if he'd like a nice Hawaiian Punch. When he responds in the affirmative, Punchy promptly punches him, resulting in a black eye. I cringe in Texas, especially when ogling the Flying Saucer waitstaff and someone asks me, "Hey, pal, how'd you like a Shiner?" I do not follow my instinct and likewise nod in the affirmative and then go into a defensive stance. YMMV.

Did I mention my new student, named "Tawny"? What a great name, and I had a dense finger of tawny head with good retention following my pour. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. The nose was AMAZING - I caught an initial whiff of grapefruit, but then the ginger suddenly hit me in the sinus cavity! I actually sneezed in surprise. I am all for truth in advertising, but this was unexpected. The mouthfeel was medium, but it was abrasive in its flavor as I was basking in the ginger on the tongue. I still think that Clove Life Savers were the best I ever had as a kid and this reminded me of one of them. The tart of the grapefruit seemed to be lost until the swallow and its incredibly dry finish. No wonder this is a summer beer - it was like liquid alum. My throat constricted and I began to gasp for air. This wasn't dry, it was downright arid! Wow. I definitely want one at a more appropriate time of year.

woodychandler, Feb 16, 2013
4.39/5  rDev +38.1%

Not a huge Shiner fan but i love this beer despite that most reviews here are not favorable. It's a specific beer for a specific time of year (i.e. on a hot summer day). I find it incredibly light and refreshing. A perfect beer for a hot summers day.

no_scents, Jun 02, 2014
4.4/5  rDev +38.4%

martinproulx15, Aug 12, 2014
4.43/5  rDev +39.3%

pours a clear light orange. no head, thus no retention or lacing.

smell is outta this world. crisp ginger, fresh grapefruit, lemongrass notes and other citrus characteristics blend perfectly.

taste: nice ginger notes, grapefruit and a minimal malty flavor.

mouthfeel: a nice tart kick cleanses the palate to make way for all the fruity flavors. doesnt leave anything linfering

overall: without a doubt the best thing from shiner. pretty damn good on top of that!

northaustin, Jun 05, 2011