Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Reviews: 231 | Hads: 1,110
3.12/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours golden with no head and no real lacing.

The smell is of sweet grapefruit and some ginger. There is a slight "beer" smell, but it smells more like a fruity malt drink.

The taste is of sweet grapefruit juice. Grapefruit from the juice, slightly "artificial", certainly not from the hops. There is some dryness from the ginger in the finish.

It is light-bodied and crisp.

If you want a nicely carbonated summer refresher with grapefruit juice and ginger that has some "beer" character it's not a bad choice. It is what it is. (532 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +35.7%

This is my favorite Shiner beer, but I also do like and drink grapefruit juice as well. Despite that fact, I was a bit apprehensive about "beer and grapefruit" but it was quite good. The amount and flavor of grapefruit was just right; not overbearing but enough to tell (without knowing the name) what fruit was included. Will definitely buy this again. (353 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +54%

This is my favorite all-time beer. It's really hard to describe-the grapefruit is there, but subtle. The ginger is there-but it's also just right. I don't usually like "fruit-infused" beers at all, and "Blue Moon" is too sweet for me, but this beer is incredible!

I literally almost got into a row over the last 12 pack last fall, when me and this other guy came into the store at the same time, panicked that it was almost gone. We lamented that this beer is seasonal. (470 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +18%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

It appeared as any other summer offering that's not too light.

Didn't have a strong smell, was crisp and light.

The taste reminded me somewhat of a shandy, with grapefruit juice used as opposed to lemonade. Very drinkable.

The mouthfeel, again, reminded me of a shandy. Not filling but very clean, easy to drink down.

It was enjoyable, seems to be a nice compliment to TexMex or other spicy foods. A good beer for a hot summer day. (469 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Good light summer beer. Has a nice grapefruit undertones. Nothing spectacular but good for what it is. I keep it out by the pool to enjoy on hot summer days in Houston. It is a bit thin, but part of the summer beer appeal. I drink it straight from the bottle so I can not comment on color or head. (297 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +17.4%

Pours a pretty clear, slightly reddish amber - no head, but that must have been an artifact of the pour. Malty aroma has a dusty tone, like powdered fruit drink. Malty flavor has a fruity undertone, apple and cherry with a hint of pear, and a subtle sour undertone. Texture has about average body and fizz. I didn’t seem to get any grapefruit, but this is a tasty and distinctive beer. Let it fly down your throat. (416 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -30.9%

I poured this seriously nasty brew into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The brew (and I'm calling that because its not beer) was slightly red/pinkish and poured a really weak head. It smelled like coca cola believe it or not and was just about as carbonated tasting. The taste was fruity/sour yuk!. I love Shiner Bock but I'll never put another of these up to my mouth. (363 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -7.1%

Doesn't look like much, but it's not a total loss. Dark golden straw colored, think Bud only darker. There is the faintest of red mixed in. The head is white and you can hear the bubbles start to explode immediately. The head is thick, and gone, in no time.

I like the smell. Candy notes envelope the nose almost as soon as the cap is off the bottle. Has more of a cherry smell than anything.

Has a fruit-ish flavor to it, but not something I'd guess to be red grapefruit. It's clearly citrus of some sort, but it tastes like juice concentrate more than anything.

Little feel. Watered down. Slight carbonation. Tart. Almost a medicinal feel. Some heat on the throat in the swallow, but not sure where it comes from because it's not alcohol and it's not very hoppy (it's the ginger as it turns out).

Another swing and miss by the Shiner folks. Not something I'd want to drink again, even on a hot day as the bottle suggests. No character. (942 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: Pours a clear bright copper color with a small head that fades quickly to no lacing.

S: Aroma of citrus primarily grapefruit and ginger.

T: Taste of ginger and grapefruit with a hint of grain in the background. More of a tart than bitterness and a bit of lingering ginger.

F: Light body, crisp and refreshing.

O: Not bad for what it is. Goes best with hot summer days. (375 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance: It pours a clear golden color and is topped with no head at all, when I poured it the carbonation that appeared left quicker than I could get it to show up.
Smell: The beer smells rather clean with just a hint of malt and hop aromas.
Taste: The beer tastes exactly as it smells clean and simple just like a beer on a hot day should be.
Mouthfeel: Redbird is a rather thin bodied easy drinking beer that I would have liked a lot more if it had a better flavor profile. This is a rather disappointing beer out of Shiner, TX. (536 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: pale yellow-orange. Hardly any head.

As one other reviewer has said, this smelled like ginger ale.

It tasted like less-sweet ginger ale. Not much bitterness to speak of. I got the grapefruit flavor, but only because I was looking for it. As a grapefruit lover, I wish there had been more; it certainly could have helped balance the very-sweet flavor.

This is the first gingery-beer I've had, and I think I liked the idea of it more than the result; I'd rather it be a little more beer and less ginger-ale; mixing this 50-50 with a good wheat beer might result in a pretty good product.

Overall, it was a nice change and decent summer brew. (655 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +10%

Poured almost exactly like ginger ale, fizzy carbonation that disappeared instantly. Slightly yellower than ginger ale, but otherwise looks like pop.

Ginger is the main thing I pick up in the nose.

Interesting. I think I could create this with 50% ginger ale, 30% water, and 20% macro lager. Not really picking up the grapefruit, I guess that's why people use hops instead of actual grapefruit. That said, the flavor is growing on me. Light and crisp. Ginger in the finish, though sort of a stale grassy note in there as well.

Very carbonated.

You know, this was interesting, and I'm still not convinced it's actually a beer, but if I were in Texas and it was like 120 degrees out, I bet it would go down easy. Maybe I'm feeling charitable, or I just like ginger ale, but as a mindless summer beer, this was all right. (822 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a clear, golden straw color. Head is 1/3 inch and white. Lots of bubbles rising throughout, head retention and lacing were average at best.

Beer smells of sweet citrus and some straw malt. For some reason I'm getting the aroma of Sprite or 7-up. Ginger or cinnamon is also detected.

Taste is unique, part mexican lager, part fruit flavored malt beverage ie: Smirnoff. Ginger is probably the most dominant flavor in the beer. Light, crisp malts are also present, hops are not. Alcohol is non existent.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, crisp and well carbonated. Head didnt contribute to beer, grapefruit left a bitter citrus-y aftertaste

Overall this was a good, light, thirst quenching summertime beer. Definitely unique with the ginger/grapefruit combo. Wish I could take a growler of this to the pool, great outdoor/patio beer. (835 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from the bottle a clear amber orange with a thin off-white head.

Aroma was primarily ginger with a hint of light fruit.

Like the aroma, ginger is the primary taste. I note a hint taste of grapefruit and light cracker.

Lighter bodied and a bit dry with a moderate carbonation.

This was more of a ginger beer than anything. I wish the grapefruit had been more bold. Probably won't have again. (401 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -11.6%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a nonical pint glass in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are below average.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with pretzel rods.

A: Pours a half finger head of white colour, awful thickness, no cream, and pathetic retention. Colour is a boring predictable clear copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Heavy fruit citrus hops - primarily weak grapefruit. Watery ginger. A poor aroma. Fairly strong.

T: Heavy ginger, water, and grapefruit. Maybe some clean malts. A hint of cannabis. Not particularly full-bodied. Boring and bland. Balanced poorly; water should not be a note. I'm severely disappointed. Not at all complex or subtle.

Mf: Smooth, wet, and watery. A bit undercarbonated. Thin.

Dr: Drinkable and decent for a ginger beer, but severely lacking. It's got flavour, but is overly watery. I wouldn't get it again - maybe on draught I guess. A disappointing beer from Spoetzl.

Low C (1,121 characters)

3.12/5  rDev +0.3%

Served on tap in a pint glass

Appearance – Served a amber color with a tiny white foam of a head. The foam head faded fast to give almost no lacing.

Smell – The aromas were of a light wheat maltiness with a good deal of sweet grapefruit aroma.

Taste – The taste was very similar to the nose. It had a light wheat base which in the beginning that was mixed with a sweeter grapefruit flavor. The grapefruit bittered a bit as the taste went on leaving a light sour taste to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer was quite light and the carbonation level was very average. The light body suited the grapefruit flavors well, although a more robust level of carbonation may have been more fitting for the beer.

Overall – Very easy to drink on a warm summer day (which is how I had it). With the low abv and easy drinking style it makes for a good session beer. (886 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -1.3%

Appearance: Dark golden brown. The small white head dissipates immediately and there's no lacing. The cabonation looks OK.

Smell: Grapefruit

Taste: Grapefruit juice in water.

M: Light body, nice carbonation, thin and watery.

Beer shouldn't taste like grapefruit. It should be reclassified as cider or something. I'll never drink it again. (342 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured a amber with no head or lace.
Aroma of citric, earth and pine.
Taste of a slight citric grapefruit with a ginger dryness.
The mouth is left with a sweet tart lingering grapefruit tartness.
Overall an ok summer beer but not a fan of lower abv brews that tip-toe into its flavor profile. (292 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +4.5%

hazy amber pour with a giant release sound of carbonation when twisting off, yet no visible head. smells of bread, lemongrass, grapefruit. a tart funky grapefruit taste with a slightly bitter finish. hints of bread, and grass.

the mouthfeel is perfect for a summer beer. seltzer-like carbonation, light body.

overall, this is nice for a one-off. i don't think i'd ever get a 6-pk of this (though i did last year but only drank half), even though it's probably the most refreshing beer i've ever had. could use a bit more definition in the appearance, and the smell/taste may be fine where it is. it's pretty subtle for a grapefruit beer (expected it to be IN YOUR FACE) (671 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +22.8%

Pours red amber mostly light in color with a 1/2 inch of head that actually sticks around for quite a while.

Smell is pretty nice I do get some grapefruit and maybe ginger. The wheat base in this smells very fluid.

Taste was actually quite impressive since it makes for a pretty sweet/tart summer beer. Grapefruit isn't bitter but it does seem very natural with the balance of wheat. Not getting much ginger but it contributes to the balance of the beer.

Mouthfeel is light to medium. Not bad.

Overall I could see picking up a six pack since most places around here have Shiner for around 9 bucks a six pack. Not a bad fruit based beer at all. (647 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +27.3%

Shiner makes a great product, I may be biased due to it being the beer of Texas.

Appearance - The grapefruit makes the usual shiner look a reddish brown. It matches the taste and expectations well

Smell - It has a decent smell of the usual shiner but I didn't pick up any citrus. If it would have just a little bit more scent to it I would have been very satisfied

Taste - Now this is a summer beer! It is a great lambric style with a shiner front along with the beautiful sour/sweet grapefruit. I never would have thought it would be good mix, but it works well.

Mouthfeel - Superb mouthfeel with the right amount of carbonation with citrus.

Overall - This is my summer beer. I usually do the Shiner 102 or hefeweizen but I have a new daily drinker (754 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +26%

Basically it has a light taste of ginger, fresh grapefruit, lemongrass and other citrus characteristics.It all comes together perfectly.To be honest with y'all,look at all the reviews on tap.Not many huh...but there aren't any bad ones.Where as the bottle has horrible reviews mixed in with OK(& great ones scattered around). Sounds like with the bottle of this beer sometimes there is too much carbonation and off tap that problem has not come up at Bombay bar.I have a 32oz bottle of this in my fridge right now but I'm leaving this review for the "tap" because it's simply better and every connoisseur "knows this".In my opinion if you thought it tasted like "bad soda" then I recommend you look up a bar in your area and ask if they have it on tap,guarantee that shit won't happen to you again. (798 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -48.6%

Poured into a pint glass. Pours light clear caramel yellow wtih a quickly dissipating fizzy white head. No lacing is left behind. The bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass are plentiful. This is very carbonated. It reminded me of pouring a soda with how the carbonation rushed out of it. The aroma is very faint. I can pick up some ginger, though it's pretty faint. There is some wheat in the smell as well. For being a grapefruit flavored beer, I can't really pick that up much of it in the aroma. There flavor is slightly tart from the grapefruit and spicy from the ginger. The flavors of the wheat malt are overpowered here. The grapefruit isn't as forward as the ginger, which is a little overpowering. The excessive carbonation is prickly on the palate. The body is light and the carbonation, as noted, is intense. What should be an easy drinker is actually very difficult to consume. It reminds me of a soda in many ways, but a low quality one. Overall, this is easily one of the worst beers I've ever had. Plenty of other breweries have produced better fruit beer that embraces the fruit while not betraying the beer characteristics. Shiner gets a failing grade for this one. (1,188 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into a pilsener glass.

While the initial, crackling head doesn't stick around (or to the sides of the glass) for long, the ample supply of carbonation provides a consistent cap of spittle foam. Body is a deep golden-straw color, and crystal clear. The aroma is equal parts Ginger Ale and 7UP. I wish the Citra hops were more prominent. Lots of spicy ginger sweetness, though, with a pleasant undertone of fresh, fleshy grapefruit. A bit of bleached crackers and wheat in the background.

Ginger picks up in intensity with the flavor of Ruby Redbird. Spicy, crisp, and pickled. Grapefruit is an afterthought, and struggles to maintain relevance behind a drying cereal graininess in the finish. A bit too vegetal for my liking. Effervescent mouthfeel is thin and clean with a lingering sharpness from the ginger root. Overall, one of Spoetzl's more unique offerings. Definitely worth trying, if only for the novelty. (927 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -10%

I've been told that this is an excellent beer to drink cold on a summer afternoon, which is what I did. It's also been considered a good session beer... I can see that.
Poured from bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a yellow orange with a small white head with zero retention. A few bubbles seen rising to the top.

Smell: More ginger than grapefruit. It smells like a ginger ale honestly, with maybe a splash of citrus.

Taste: Man it's exactly like a ginger soda with a little malt and grapefruit thrown in. I can't feel or taste much alcohol at all. It's highly drinkable, but somehow for 4% it doesn't seem like a beer.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Lightly carbonated.

Overall: Definitely more of a girl beer than guy. Light and simple, not bad, but I prefer the traditional bock if I'm going in the Shiner direction. (827 characters)

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner