Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Ratings: 1,096 | Reviews: 251
3.09/5  rDev -3.1%

Probably expired. I got a bomber of this for $1.99, it's February, and this is a summer beer.
That asside, I just bought a grapefruit sculpin and decided I needed this as well.
Obviously pales in comparison to the former.
The head fades fast, no lacing
Smells of grapefruit and ginger. Not much else.
Tastes like the same.
Could be a great refreshing summer beer, but I would like it to have a little more beer flavor to it.
If it were a bit worse, I might guess it was a mass produced flavored beer.

3.91/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Good for what it is. Very drinkable.

4.24/5  rDev +32.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A really well crafted spiced brew. This is a well balanced spiced beer. very enjoyable with a small white head and excellent spicy aroma. A great beer for a hot summer day.

2.79/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours a clear deep gold producing 1 finger of rapidly diminishing, slightly off-white, champagne-like head that leaves not a hint of lacing. Aroma is remarkably reminiscent of Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale with hints of grapefruit, caramel, lemon/lime & grain in that order. Taste is overwhelmingly ginger (more Canada Dry-like in the mouth) with hints of grapefruit, lemon-lime, caramel & mineral water. Finishes thin & lemon-lime citrusy with a ginger, peppery spiciness. Aftertaste is a shortlived, low level citrus, mineral in a thin bitterness before fading to an afterthought. Mouthfeel is light bodied, thin, watery with lively carbonation, dry, spicy & prickly. I must confess that my rating is based on personal prefence & not on parameters & merits within the style as I not sure that I have ever had a representative of the style that I liked and would drink again.

2.6/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Interesting, my first review for a Spoetzl beer. I haven't noticed them around MA much but just saw this on a local shelf and got a single because... why not. Grapefruit and ginger surely sounds like a good combo.

A- Filtered dark orange body with some red hues in the center as you might expect from the name. A fizzy puff appears on the beer for very briefly before transforming to a tiny ring at the edges. Lacing is rather rare.

S- Ginger (which isn't exactly that aromatic here) and rarely anything else. Other hints I get are grapefruit juice, pale grains, fruit esters and caramelized sugar.

T- Ginger ale soda with a fairly strong hint of grapefruit juice and general citrus. A moderate sweetness and caramelized sugar note joins that with hints of apple and light fruit esters. Ginger spiciness has an authenticity to it.

MF- Extremely light bodied and defining watery as far as beers go. As far as texture, all I can really list is fizziness reminiscent of a soda with high-end carbonation. Finishes with slight spiciness on the palate from the ginger.

Refreshing with a moderate amount of true ginger flavor and spiciness. Similar to a ginger soda in both flavor and mouthfeel which is both a good and bad thing for a beer. For me it is just too watery and soda-like to be taken seriously.

4.1/5  rDev +28.5%

Outlier detected. Please enter a review.

4.5/5  rDev +41.1%

This is a brew that many will rate poorly based on their personal preference, as opposed to how well it was done within it's style. I'm not a huge Shiner fan nor am I a fruit beer person, but in my opinion, they hit the nail right on the head with this one.

The beer pours with a thin fizzy soda like head which vanishes seconds later. Right off the bat you are hit hard with ginger and citrus on the nose. It almost smells like some sort of fresh ginger cocktail. The initial flavor is smooth and on the sweet side, but the sweetness quickly fades as it hits the sides and back of the tongue where it becomes dry and crisp. The ginger is present from start to finish, and that juicy red grapefruit comes through perfectly in the finish. It's light bodied and so juicy, but it isn't a sweet fruit beer by any means. To me it makes a perfect substitute for juice with breakfast, or as a refreshing alternative to a cider on a hot day. This is a wonderfully crafted unique brew that serves it's intended purpose perfectly.

4.5/5  rDev +41.1%

The grapefruit taste isn't too overwhelming. It combines perfectly with the hint of ginger.

Tastes awful...served it at a Beer Festival and waited for everyone to make an awful face...we called it Red Bird Face.

4.75/5  rDev +48.9%

I miss this seasonal beer, and I love the citrus flavor that is hinted at with the grapefruit.

A pretty average summer beer. Poured into a flute, there was some initial carbonation with lots of bubbles and a fizzy white head. The head died down pretty quick and left no lacing on the glass. The reddish copper color ws nice though.

Smell was pretty faint, some ginger and a little grapefruit.. Taste was a little stronger, the grapefruit came out more and the ginger was subdued enough not to be annoying. No strong flavors though, not much in the way of malt. The bitterness was provided by the grapefruit.

Mouthfeel is light, with a little kick from the ginger and grapefruit.

In all, a pretty average drink. I could not see myself doing pitchers of this even on a hot day.

2.03/5  rDev -36.4%

Amber golden color with a fluffy head that is short lived.
Predominant sweet aroma of oxidized grapefruit juice and ginger.
Soda flavor with artificial notes of grapefruit and mostly ginger, not otherwise.
Dry aftertaste with a very mild bitterness.
Light body with soda like carbonation.
This didn't taste it as beer, it sure tasted as a ginger beer. I was expecting a flavorful grapefruit APA, but it came out as a sugary soda drink. This could have been so much better.

1.5/5  rDev -53%

Terrible. There's more ginger in this beer than in ginger beers I have had. The grapefruit adds nothing but an awful foil to the ginger.

3.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Has a very floral and fruity note to it. Appearance is clear golden as expected. Grapefruit bitterness once you taste and that kinda ruins the feel. I know some folks like it so I gave it a decent review to help others along.

4.25/5  rDev +33.2%

This is my "mowing the lawn" beer.. or admiring the lawn after I pay someone else to do it... it's freakin hot in Texas. Easy to love.

3.6/5  rDev +12.9%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12 oz bottle into a Samuel Adams tasting glass. The label lists the abv at 4.01% and it also gives a nice description of the beer.

Appearance: The body is very clear and light to medium amber in color. It head is off white and quick fading despite a very active carbonation flowing up though the beer. After the first sip the head has completely disappeared and subsequently there is no lacing to speak of.

Smell: The aroma is light overall. I get some dry spicy gingerbread notes standing out over light grainy maltiness.

Taste / Palate: The flavor starts with a light grainy base malt with notes of ginger and mild white peppercorn. Very mild notes of tart grapefruit like citrus move in and lead into the dry snappy finnish. Hop favor seems very subdued but very complimentary to the Ruby Red grapefruit juice and it definitely adds to the dryness. The palate feels light and quite lively.

2.5/5  rDev -21.6%

A: clear; bronze; less than 1 finger of white head that receded quickly to almost no sign of any carbonation;

S: muted; what was there was ginger, with a touch of grapefruit in the background;

T: like flat, watered down ginger ale; I really had to search for the grapefruit;

M: medium bodied; light carbonation;

O: not much positive to say; I expect a fruit beer to distinctly smell like the fruit it's brewed with - not the case here; also, even without real red grapefruit, it's so easy to impart grapefruit flavor in a beer with hops; finally, my bottle was poorly carbonated;

3.5/5  rDev +9.7%

A great session or nightcap beer. Really light and refreshing.

3.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Grapefruit flavors throughout

4.03/5  rDev +26.3%

Made with grapfruit and the that does come through in the taste. This is N excellent summer beer...goes done easy and is very refreshing.

3.24/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

On-tap 8/17/2014 at Battleship Brewhouse in Fall River, MA, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a very thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma smells a lot like ginger ale up front, then the grapefruit scent comes in along with some light malts.

T: The taste starts out with flavors of grapefruit and spices, but mostly ginger. The malt character is very thin and there is very little hops presence. The after-taste is slightly spicy and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

O: A little flavorful, goes down ok, not filling at all, very mild kick, decent variation of style, this is just a mediocre beer at best.

3.89/5  rDev +21.9%

Here in South Texas where today the heat index will be above 100 again, this is a great beer to have after sweating. It's relatively low alcohol (4.75%) so you can drink a few of them without getting too intoxicated. It is a very dry and tart beer so it is not for everyone. This has to be served very cold, I have not yet let it grow warm so I'm not sure what it would taste like but I doubt it would improve with a higher temperature. I eat grapefruit often so I love this beer.

2.73/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I was expecting refreshing and light. It was light, and there were some interesting flavors brought about by the grapefruit and the ginger, but I didn't find it all that refreshing, a quality I seek in a brew that's billed as a refreshing summer beer. If it needs to be Ice Cold like the can says, then I guess that's a problem for me. I like a good ginger ale. I enjoy grapefruit very much. I'm not overly excited by this particular combination for refreshment. Maybe if it had been more wheat based without the ginger, I would have found it more refreshing.

3.9/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I took one from my six pack and poured into a pint glass.
It had a semi - clear yellow color with lots of carbonation to be seen rising throughout a bubbly looking head that quickly died down.
It smelled exactly as the can said, ginger with some grapefruit and it tasted the same as well.
The mouthfeel was slightly harsh but didn't bother me too much as I just figured it was the ginger.
Overall, huh, well how about that, when I sit down and take the time to actually take a look at this beer, it's not that bad. Refreshing, heck yeah, I could be wrong but I'm not sure if I could find anything more refreshing in at least Southeast Alaska.

2.88/5  rDev -9.7%

It tastes like Ginger ale with a hint of grapefruit juice. Not bad for someone who doesn't really like that hoppy beer taste but wants something summery. I had this mid July with chicken wings, I'd say that's the best pairing for this beer. Nothing to write home about but refreshing with a light dinner.

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner