Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Reviews: 231 | Hads: 1,111
3.24/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

On-tap 8/17/2014 at Battleship Brewhouse in Fall River, MA, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a very thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma smells a lot like ginger ale up front, then the grapefruit scent comes in along with some light malts.

T: The taste starts out with flavors of grapefruit and spices, but mostly ginger. The malt character is very thin and there is very little hops presence. The after-taste is slightly spicy and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

O: A little flavorful, goes down ok, not filling at all, very mild kick, decent variation of style, this is just a mediocre beer at best. (777 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +25.1%

Here in South Texas where today the heat index will be above 100 again, this is a great beer to have after sweating. It's relatively low alcohol (4.75%) so you can drink a few of them without getting too intoxicated. It is a very dry and tart beer so it is not for everyone. This has to be served very cold, I have not yet let it grow warm so I'm not sure what it would taste like but I doubt it would improve with a higher temperature. I eat grapefruit often so I love this beer. (480 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I was expecting refreshing and light. It was light, and there were some interesting flavors brought about by the grapefruit and the ginger, but I didn't find it all that refreshing, a quality I seek in a brew that's billed as a refreshing summer beer. If it needs to be Ice Cold like the can says, then I guess that's a problem for me. I like a good ginger ale. I enjoy grapefruit very much. I'm not overly excited by this particular combination for refreshment. Maybe if it had been more wheat based without the ginger, I would have found it more refreshing. (559 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I took one from my six pack and poured into a pint glass.
It had a semi - clear yellow color with lots of carbonation to be seen rising throughout a bubbly looking head that quickly died down.
It smelled exactly as the can said, ginger with some grapefruit and it tasted the same as well.
The mouthfeel was slightly harsh but didn't bother me too much as I just figured it was the ginger.
Overall, huh, well how about that, when I sit down and take the time to actually take a look at this beer, it's not that bad. Refreshing, heck yeah, I could be wrong but I'm not sure if I could find anything more refreshing in at least Southeast Alaska. (645 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -7.4%

It tastes like Ginger ale with a hint of grapefruit juice. Not bad for someone who doesn't really like that hoppy beer taste but wants something summery. I had this mid July with chicken wings, I'd say that's the best pairing for this beer. Nothing to write home about but refreshing with a light dinner. (304 characters)

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass

Appearance: pours a 2" pillowy white head that falls with some nice lacing left behind. Color is a clear amber with moderate streaming carbonation.

Aroma: gingerbread cookie dough is the dominate smell. Also a bit of lemony citrus.

Mouthfeel: light and quite tangy with a somewhat dry finish.

Flavor: ginger is a bit more subdued than in the aroma, blends nicely with caramel malts and the citrus flavor.

Overall: Definitely a unique beer. It is quite refreshing on a hot summer day. Not something I would buy or drink regularly, but enjoyable none the less. (604 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +35.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I love grapefruit and it's my favorite out of all of the various citrus fruits. It would have been nice if the grapefruit flavor was more prominent. I definitely smell grapefruit but I get more ginger flavor than anything else. It's not necessarily a bad thing either. Overall, very refreshing to drink and not too sweet either. (328 characters)

3.12/5  rDev +0.3%

$ 8.99/sixer at Wegmans
Undated bottle at 40 degrees into imperial pint
Aroma of grapefruit and ginger
Head small (2 cm), white, fizzy, very rapidly diminishing to leave no layer of ring
No lacing
Body medium yellow, clear
Flavor begins with grapefruit and quickly fades to leave ginger. No alcohol, no hops, no diacetyl
Palate light, watery, lively carbonation

When I first had this three years ago, I really liked it. Now, not so much. It appears that the ginger has become predominant with the grapefruit taking a lesser role. It’s still OK, particularly since it’s a lawnmower beer. I can also detect a little skunkiness, probably thanks to Wegmans well-lighted cooler. It loses points for lack of head and lacing and for the skunkiness. (746 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I guess my impression of this was to be a Radler but a bit more beer, instead this never appealed to me. The color and appearance was thin and watery, as was the feel but it seemed to be more nothingness. The taste and nose are acrid and saccharine with an artificial grapefruit. The ginger is sour and earthy, very vegetative, with little malt. Not my favorite. (362 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +51.4%

I've been rapidly tasting craft beers for a few years and this is by far my favorite summer ale.. Grapefruit is f*&%ing disgusting but I was completely blown away by this fantastic beer. Very crisp light enough to drink a ton of em on a full stomach AND plenty of flavor.. This beer is not sissy although it is light. Reminds me of water skiing, the beach, the pool and grilled food. GANGSTA! (392 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I was expecting another shandy type offering but this is way more interesting.

a: nothing too special, thin head.

s: really, really gorgeous. Grapefruit and ginger on top of a mellow toasty smell.

t: not sweet. It's beer, not a cooler or a shandy. There's ginger but it doesn't taste like ginger ale, and there's grapefruit but it doesn't taste like a cocktail. No one particular flavour is really dominant, but it all blends really well.

m: fizzy and refreshing.

o: I bought one of these out of a singles bin and then went back for a twelve-pack. Really well done and more interesting than a lot of the other seasonals. (625 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

P- Wegmans in Mechanicsburg, PA

A- clear light copper tone color. Minimal head and little lacing. No carbonation either.

S- ginger, ginger, and more ginger. Almost like smelling ginger ale soda. I don't get any grapefruit at all.

F- umm...its like drinking ginger ale with some grapefruit juice thrown in for good measure. The malts are weak and give no definition to the beer.

M- crisp, smooth and light bodied. Ginger Ginger Ginger

O- its good if you like drinking ginger ale with alcohol. I wont be having another. (522 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

A - Poured a very small head that dissapated quickly. Otherwise has a very nice clear, reddish amber color. Carbonation level looks good.

S - mostly pick up the ginger, the grapefruit juice is also present. Otherwise just enough yeast/hops/malts to tell its a beer. Doesn't smell like beer but still smells pretty good.

T - it's not beer, but it's good. Reminds me very much of reeds ginger beer. The ginger is the most noticeable, with fruity undertones and a slight cereal grain flavor that let's you know it's still a beer.

M - not overly carbonated, good for what it is, less than a ginger ale which is good here.

O - this is something I picked up in a cheap make your own six pack at the grocery store just to give it a try. Honestly I thought it was just a summer seasonal from shiner and didn't see the grapefruit and ginger part of the label, and probably wouldn't have tried it if I had. I'm actually glad I did. Don't get me wrong, by my standards this isn't beer, which makes rating it here kind of difficult, but I gave it a decent rating because whatever it is, it's pretty good. I mentioned reeds ginger beer, which I really like, and this really reminds me of it. Very refreshing after a hot day. I would probably buy this again if I was in the mood for something a little different. (1,302 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

24oz bottles -- buy 2 get one free Shiner promotion at the local Publix Jupiter,Fl.,, including their wheat "belgian" (i doubt it)
served around 65° , has good carbonation ,nose light malt, citrus nose,
yea ginger is in here a little on the finish
The finish is actually of coriander when beer warmed up some.
I know what citra and similar hops taste like, not citra hops, more like the citrus pulp residue left over from juicing citrus in the beer.
Sam Adams and Oregon brewer's successfully use citra hops, but not in this beer.
I have made ale with citra,cascade hops naaa

burrrrpppp

ah yes good for chili like a few suggested good for cooking..not overwhelming however
I dont mind adding my own citrus such as lime in an iced beer when making Michelados on a hot day, this would make a good Michelados.

Having been out to Fredericksburg,kerrville and sampled the local ales, a Munich ale it isn't claims full body Munich ale .. no.
Served cold it's ok not awfull, just ok.

Pretty Lite beer for a German style, well to serve the yuppie larvae all i can figure. Need some good barley malted ales here cut back on the rice and corn malts and you'll have a winner. (1,176 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer has a singular purpose - quench your thirst on a hot hot day, and THAT it will do exquisitely well.

The addition of the ruby red grapefruit and ginger, adding to the astringency of the hops - outstanding combination.

This is a rather "light" brew allowing the flavor of the grapefruit and ginger to "shine" through without being overwhelming... You still know it's beer.

What tastes better after a long day in the hot sun; gardening, weeding, mowing? Of course - a cold brew. What tastes better than a cold brew after a long day doing yard work in the hot sun? Yeah... a Shiner Ruby Redbird.

No wonder the store sold out. (They had a whole pallet of this stuff on the floor on Friday. Monday it was GONE!)

Until now I did not like fruit in my beer. I may have to rethink that. (794 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -2.6%

A- light amber with no head. Therefore, no lacing. There is a small amount of visible carbonation. It looks relatively lifeless.

S- very very light. Some ginger and yeast...not much else.

T- warming ginger spice, some grapefruit. Yeasty finish. Once again, this one falls short.

M- light bodied, prickly carbonation.

O- I was expecting strong ginger and acidic grapefruit... I received none of that. Not good. (414 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -29.3%

This was recommended by a clerk in my favorite beer store when another customer asked about it. It sounded appealing because grapefruit and ginger are favorites and I'm open to trying fruit beers. I bought a six-pack to try and what a disappoinment. I like ginger a lot but the bitter ginger flavor in this overpowered all other flavors. I tried a small serving again with friends a few days later during a meal and it was slightly better with food. Others thought it would be good on a hot summer day but I can think of many other beers I'd rather drink as an afternoon cooler. I will defintely pass on this. (609 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This is the first time that I have ever heard of this beer and I bought some and It is actually really good. It is refreshing and has a fruity taste to it. I have always liked shiner beers but this one is really good. The smell to it is not that bad as well. I tried it for the first time on vacation and I really liked it. I am hoping that I can find some here at home. Shiner made a good summer beer. It is refreshing and not too strong of a taste at the same time. The smell is actually good as well. It is not too heavy or too light and I like that. For anyone who likes Shiner beers they should try this beer. (614 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +39.9%

Not a huge Shiner fan but i love this beer despite that most reviews here are not favorable. It's a specific beer for a specific time of year (i.e. on a hot summer day). I find it incredibly light and refreshing. A perfect beer for a hot summers day. (250 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 oz. bottle poured into a Burley Oak snifter

A: Orange copper color with no head or lacing. A lot of bubbles stuck to the side initially.

S: I just get malty citrus in the form of grapefruit, plus a a tinge of ginger.

T: Grapefruit flavored ale, period. Ugh. As I was eyeing it up, a person in the aisle grabbed a six pack and said that he loved it, so I figured that would be the last one in my mix six.

M: Smooth, with just a bit of carbonation.

O: This was a letdown. I'd recently had Harpoon's Big Squeeze, which is a shandy with grapefruit juice and I'd loved it. But this is billed as a fruit/vegetable beer, so I guess that is the big difference. Anyways, not a fan and didn't finish it (cooked with it instead). (726 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -4.2%

Clear amber with almost no head or lacing. Smell is grapefruit ginger and light malt.
Taste is lightly bitter with red grapefruit ginger and light bready malt. Grapefruit tastes more bitter than I expected. Maybe some grapefruit zest included?
Mouthfeel was light with low carbonation. No crispness or zing. Overall it tastes like a beer with a shot of pink grapefruit added. The ginger was in the background mostly with a bit of spice in the finish. (450 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy dark orange with a foamy khaki head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. No lacing on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, ginger, and grapefruit juice aromas. Taste is much the same with ginger and grapefruit flavors on the finish. However, when the beer warms up the flavors turn metallic and salty. There is a mild amount of earth bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty poor beer that smells like a solid ginger beer soda, but has a shift in flavors that make it hard to drink when it warms up. (630 characters)

3.14/5  rDev +1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Overall not a bad beer but wasn't one of my favorites. The appearance was light yellow with a nice head, sniffed and found an abundance of grapefruit in the nose. The taste was a little odd with a quick yet intense grapefruit flavor, but then it immediately was gone and overtaken by a sweet, almost molasses, flavor that tasted like breakfast sausage. Interesting but not the best I've tried. (393 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

You need to like Grapefruit to enjoy this beer
Its a bit sweet as well, all in all a good grab for a hot day

it pours light to medium gold with a grapefruit citrus hitting you in the face, the hops are lacking like others have commented. The key here is the grapefruit and effervescent quality. So if your looking for an enjoyable summer beer you have one (357 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled last night on 4/14/14. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a amber in color with a pinkish hue that has about a 1-finger off-white head that settles down to just the top. Some spotty lacing was seen. The aroma is of some ginger and citrus with some hops. The taste actually has a lot going on with a good amount of ginger mixed with various hops and grapefruit coming through. Strange finish as it tasty a bit 'soapy' for some reason. Lots of carbonation as is noticed by the small streaming bubbles. Overall, it is different and isn't bad. (604 characters)

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner