Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.01% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011)
3.75/5  rDev +17.9%

This new seasonal from shiner cut the heat like A lightsaber. Even though most any frosty cold beer will cool you down on a hot summers day, The Ruby Rerbird did it with style.

I poured right into the pint glass, and though I was expecting a deep, sanguine red ale (on account of the name), I was surprised to see a hazy, rustic yellow ale. Either way it smelled fantastic, biting at my senses with that ginger aroma. Whooo-eee! If anything, the ginger kick dominates the grapefruit addition - but its still there. The fruity notes are undeniably there on the palette.

Good mouth feel, if not a little fizzy right? Better try a second to be absolutely sure.

DuncanIdaho86, Jul 01, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -18.9%

Pours an orange/amber, and the head dissipates fairly quickly.

Aroma is very strong on citrus, and the taste follows. It's grapefruit, but tastes more like lemon to me. The acidic citrus flavor and the ginger are just overpowering, and overshadow any other beer flavors that might be there.

This is a confusing beer. It is crisp and refreshing, but just tastes out of balance. If they tweaked the recipe a bit, they might be on to something. For summertime concept fruit beers, I'd go with 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon or Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy. This is not a repeat buy for me, even though I give them credit for creativity.

justinjj1280, Jun 29, 2011
2.55/5  rDev -19.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass. Big thanks to my friend Audrey who brought some up with her from the ATL.

A: Crystal clear pale golden. Aggressive pour has head foam up big and fast and disappear almost as quickly. Strong bubbles come up from the middle. No lacing to speak of.

S: Hmmm...the grapefruit and ginger are there but so is the smell of pale malt. It literally smells like a weak ginger ale. Interesting smell but I've definitely smelled better from fruit/vegetable beers.

T: Yeesh. Um. A weak mix of ginger and um...beer. Sorta. Man. This is a tough one to power through. Like a flat not-so-sweet ginger ale.

M: Light-bodied, highly carbonated, watery even. Leaves a weird stickiness that disappears quickly.

O: Thankfully this was a freebie. There are just so many good summer beers, I'm not sad that this one is available in a store near me. Avoid.

suspect, Jun 29, 2011

A: Clear amber color. No head or lacing.

S: Ginger, citrus and malty grains.

T&M: Very thin and highly carbonated. Slightly bitter up front, more of that grapefruit bitterness. Fades with a nice ginger flavor.

Okay and great to drink in the summer. Not much of a beer though, more of a flavored malt beverage.

cdizinno, Jun 28, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -4.1%

Appearance: Clear medium amber in color, with a large, persistent and coarse off-white head. Streams of miniscule bubbles drift lazily to the surface. The lacing is thin and scattered.

Aroma: Ginger and grapefruit rind dominate the aroma. Thankfully, the aroma is more spicy than sweet, avoiding disturbing comparisons to "malternatives". There is a moderate pale malt note as well.

Taste: Citrus and ginger flavors dominate from start to finish, but, thankfully, without any syrupy sweetness. Clean malt notes are present as well, but in a supporting role. The taste finishes with a mild, lingering grapefruit rind note.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, and pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: Its different, but not at all bad. Served very cold, it is actually quite refreshing on a hot Texas summer day. Cheers to Shiner for something out of the ordinary.

Presentation: Packaged n a twelve-ounce brown glass longneck bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a standard Pilsenerr glass.

Pegasus, Jun 28, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -0.9%

A golden color and a little hazy. The head that dies immediately. No head retention and no lacing. Lots of bubbles let you know that the beer is still alive though.

Sweet, citrusy and a good helping of ginger. It's actually a pretty nice aroma.

Thin and spritzer like. All of the carbonation and sweet citrus flavor up front almost makes you think you're drinking a soda but then you get a mix of grapefruit and ginger. Those flavors are then joined by a light malt base but it's the ginger that rides your tongue all the way through the finish.

It's very refreshing but it barely feels like I'm drinking a beer. I think I could get something very similar by mixing ginger ale and grapefruit juice. It's very refreshing and good for the summertime heat, but it needs to look and feel like a beer.

SuperSpy, Jun 26, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +22%

Appearance - this beer has a golden color with a touch of red. Observe the head quickly because it disappears fast.

Aroma - the initial hit is sweet, pink grapefruit. Only after it settles down can I pick up some spicy ginger. I like the combo.

Taste - only a hint of sourish grain at first sip. Lots of grapefruit and ginger flavor. It could easily go sweet but does not. The flavors stay light and with good balance between the two flavorings. The finish is clean if not plain. Tastier as a fruit beverage than a beer, but I do like it.

Mouthfeel - bubbly and crisp, light and refreshing.

Drinkability - these are good. I think pounding through them short-circuits the mild but interesting flavors, yet they are easy to drink down. Toasting this one to my in-laws down in Katy, dodging firestorms tonight. Be safe folks, and to all my Lone Star pals down there, too. Safe home.

brewdlyhooked13, Jun 22, 2011
3.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Shiner Ruby Redbird
12 oz. bottle; $1.49 Total Wine & More, Claymont, DE

So I have a Shiner Ruby Redbird sitting here before me. I know nothing about it except that it's listed here on BA as a "Fruit / Vegetable Beer". Odd.

It poured a clear deep-golden orange amber body beneath a short head of white that simply vanished. Perhaps my glass is not "beer clean", but it only leaves minor spots of lace that appear and fade between sips.

The aroma is interesting. It's sweetish, and spicy. I'm thinking ginger and lemon, and perhaps some berries (which is probably coming from the yeast). It's clean and inviting.

In the mouth it's light-medium in body and gently zesty.

The flavor clearly displays the ginger. It has the spiciness, but it also has the more 'meaty' flavor of the ginger. I'm not sure about the lemon I found in the nose as it seems more like lime here. Regardless, there's a little bit of citric acid tartness that helps balance it as there's very little bitterness; however, the malt isn't really that sweet, it's just a slightly bready, straightforward golden malt. You notice the malt at the end, but upfront it's all ginger.

I sampled this beer fairly warm, and I wonder what it would be like ice-cold on a sunny day while cooking outdoors. The cold might make it seem a little more spicy and gingery. And it would cover up the malt a bit more... it's almost not a "beer". But OK, it's at least refreshing, and a touch interesting. It's not a beer that I'd immediately reach for or buy again, but I can think of quite a few mainstream American lagers and/or light beers that I'd pass over for this one. I'm not sure I can give this one a "worth trying", but that wouldn't be the worst thing you could do.

NeroFiddled, Jun 21, 2011
2.42/5  rDev -23.9%

This beer pours a clear amber color with no head whatsoever. The aroma is strong with Ginger and grapefruit. The taste is similar to a Ginger ale and not much else. The mouthfeel is overcarbonated and dry. Overall an interesting idea for a beer style, but poorly executed.

csiewert, Jun 20, 2011
1.1/5  rDev -65.4%

I had high hopes for this beer. Shiner makes some good beer so I thought what a great idea. Boy was I wrong.

The beer looks nice as you pour it but that's where it stops.

Taste is just horrible. All I taste Is strong ginger ale and no grapefruit.

Mouthful reminds me of the fountain drInks that run out of syrup.

This has to be the worst beer I have ever had and I've had some bad ones.

OverToad, Jun 20, 2011
2.33/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured the color of light apple cider into a pint glass with a finger of fluffy white head. Medicinal aroma of ginger ale and grapefruit.

Lowish carbonation and a thin mouthfeel. Ginger up front followed by light grain and grapefruit (but not the hoppy kind).

Love the flavor combination in theory, but this wasn't for me (the wife enjoyed it, though). Tasted like flat ginger ale and dish soap.

grittybrews, Jun 20, 2011
2.35/5  rDev -26.1%

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a clean, clear light gold color, with less than a half-inch of white head that dissipated instantly and left no lacing.

The aroma was fairly neutral and bland, certainly a bit of grapefruit but no real beer scent. The beer had a bit more grapefruit on the tongue and a moderate amount of basic beer taste came through, in a very subdued manner.

The body was very thin and just a little sticky. Drinkability was OK, but with the beer being so blah, why would you several? Overall, nothing special. Try it if you like grapefruit, otherwise drink something else.

beertunes, Jun 19, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a golden brown color and a completely clear texture. There was a half inch of foamy, quickly dissipating head. Zero lacing.

S: A somewhat subdued aroma of grapefruit and ginger.

T: Tasted of ginger up front, with grapefruit and malt in the finish. Fruit/vegetable beers aren't the most complex brews by nature, but this one doesn't do that reputation any favors.

M: A solid amount of carbonation with a slick finish. Light-bodied.

O: While not a completely horrid beer, it certainly doesn't stick in your mind after you've finished it.

avalon07, Jun 19, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -22%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. No freshness date on bottle.

A: Apple juice. 1/2 finger white head dissipated almost instantly. No carbonation bubbles rising.

S: Ginger and grapefruit. As advertised.

T: Grapefruit bitterness and tartness with a bit of the ginger there, too. Citrus hops are in the background.

M: Thin. Also lacking in carbonation.

O: Not on par with last two Shiner seasonals (Winter Warmer & Dortmunder). I worry that I may have gotten a bad bottle from an HEB make your own 6 pack. But no skunk or oxidation symptoms. I totally missed the Munich malt and the Mt. Hood & Cascade hops mentioned on the back label.

videofrog, Jun 19, 2011
2.3/5  rDev -27.7%

12 oz single for about a $1.50

A: Looked great at the beginning, a really dense head, but then it just petered out in a blink of an eye.

S: Artificial grapefruit, not getting much ginger here. Almost reminds me of bathroom/kitchen disinfectant.

T: The malts are so weak, there is no hop. All there is is fizziness and bitter non-juicy grapefruit. The worst tasting ginger flavor lingers long after a sip. Terrible.

M: Really fizzy, might be thirst quenching in Texas weather.

O: Can't recommend this one at all. I don't know what Shiner was thinking. Smokehaus was leaps better than this.

diamondc, Jun 15, 2011
3.53/5  rDev +11%

Bottle into pint glass

A: Golden orange. Very bubbly. One finger head dissipates within a minute.

S: Notes of juniper and lemongrass over grapefruit and small amounts of citrus.

T: A bit watery. Ginger. I can't taste the grapefruit as much as others, I suppose. Lemon with a hint of mint.

M: Very crisp and refreshing. Light body. Highly carbonated.

O: Drink one (or two) after mowing your lawn.

moosemoose, Jun 14, 2011
1.93/5  rDev -39.3%

I knew this beer would suck as soon as I heard Shiner had released it. Honestly, I don't wish to bash a Texan brewery but this beer is so God awful that bashing is deserved. Whoever thought it was a good idea to brew this beer needs to be tarred and feathered, at least. "The perfect summer beer," my ass!

Now, the Ruby Redbird doesn't look too too bad...if it was a ginger ale, because that's what it looks like. When a beer looks like a soda and sounds like it when you pour it out it's never a good sign. It has a sort of deep orange color, clear, and the head is overly bubbly. Wait, check that. It's fizzy and recedes quickly and completely. The head is gone before you know it.

How does it smell? It smells awful. I almost didn't drink it because it smelled so bad. Have you ever smelled bathroom cleaner? Well, this smells like grapefruit-smelling cleaner. It doesn't smell natural at all.

As my friend said, it tastes like the sweaty asshole of an illegal migrant worker. Now, I don't know how my friend knows what that tastes like, but if it's an accurate description of the Ruby Redbird then I'll be steering clear of sexual encounters with illegal migrant workers. Hell, I've worked with (possibly) illegal migrant workers and I bet everything I own they'd spit this beer out after tasting it, claiming it to be some evil gringo poison. And I would agree with them. But seriously, all tastes like a soda with grapefruit flavoring. Ginger adds shittiness to the end, not complexity.

It has a light...fizzy body. The carbonation is more like a soda than a beer, as I've emphasized already. I can't really tell if it's drinkable or not because it tastes so bad.

DON'T GET THIS BEER! If this was the last beer on Earth I'd refuse it. Thankfully I chose not to finish the whole thing.

BeardedRiker, Jun 14, 2011
3.23/5  rDev +1.6%

Pleasant soft aroma with hints of the grapefruit and slightly stronger the ginger. The grapefruit grows in time making an interesting and enjoyable nose presentation.
Smallish fairly dense white head caps a brilliantly clear dark gold body.
Soft malt flavors going towards breadiness. Tartness from the grapefruit leads to a very extended dryness closing in on more astringency than I appreciate. Pick ups of the grapefruit primarily and the ginger secondarily add interest to the flavors.
Lighter body with a wee bit bigger carbonation that fits the beer well.
Ya' know this is an all right beer. There are several components that are quite good, but the flavors for me ultimately aren't satisfying, however, as a summer seasonal, it's an interesting and unique alternative of which I give the brewery kudos.
Thanks Dave.

garymuchow, Jun 12, 2011
3.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

My father-in-law brought me most of a 12-pack of this beer. In all honesty, that was a red flag for me. i wondered if he had a couple, realized it wasn't that great, and wasn't broken-hearted to part with it. After he told me grapefruit, I was a bit skeptical, but kept an open-mind, and I have to say, I enjoy this beer alright.

A: Pale, light golden color; transparent; looks a bit like a cider; absolutely no head or lacing

S: fragrant ginger but not too over the top, slight citrus undertones

T: sweet and tart balanced with spice and bitterness

M: light in body; very little carbonation; perfect i think for a hot, muggy day

O/D: This beer may not be for everyone, but it's an interesting and I think enjoyable combination of grapefruit and ginger. Better than expected.

leagr, Jun 10, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -30.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a light tangerine color with a fizzy head that fizzles away like a soda. The remaining liquid looks like a deep colored ginger ale, complete with active carbonation.

Smells like ginger ale as well, with a sweet gingery aroma, with undertones of malt. I'm doing a double take at this point to make sure that this is, in fact, a beer and not a soda.

Taste is... odd. Like unsweetened ginger-ale, or ginger-flavored soda water. The carbonation is present in the taste, with a dry maltiness underlying the beer. Absolutely no bitterness exists whatsoever. This is almost more like a lightly flavored malted wine cooler, and not a beer.

Light bodied, heavily carbonated with CO2 and not yeast, this is not the most enjoyable mouthfeel I've ever had.

Can you say chick-beer? Give this a pass, unless slightly flavored soda water is your idea of a beer.

TheHoppiest, Jun 08, 2011
2.8/5  rDev -11.9%

Clear golden with thin soda pop head that doesn't stick around or retain itself at all.

Sharp ginger with a cleanser type character is at the forefront. The grapefruit is faint and the Citra and Cascade hops are nonexistent. Malt does little other than provide a base for the spices and adjunct.

Another oddly spiced seasonal from Shiner. The ginger overwhelms, in fact it could be mistaken for a ginger ale soda, only not as good.

bump8628, Jun 07, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +14.2%

A- A pale rusty gold color. Head starts to rise but as quickly as it rises it disappears into nothing. Lots of little bubblies active throughout rest of beer.

S- A faint but very pleasurable aroma of pepper and yeast with kicks of citrus and red grapefruits.

T- Taste is decent. Again with the yeast and pepper, great pepper and grapefruit notes. But, the taste could be a little stronger and more complex. A great small biting bitterness in the finish. But again, taste is almost as faint as the smell.

M- Medium to light body. Tingly mild carbonation.

O- Refreshing summer beer. Pretty decent, I guess. I like the hints of grapefruit throughout.

Bierlerner, Jun 06, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass,
Clear gold in color, with a thin, quickly fading head of white foam.
Aroma-Juicy ruby red grapefruit
Taste-Faint malt note, thin bodied, almost watery. Muted grapefruit flavor. A bit of a letdown to be sure. I had high hopes for this one on a 90 degree day but it was not to be. But hey, a little more carbonation and body to fill this beer out and we could be talking a great summer brew here. But until then, my score must stand. C'mon Shiner!

hosehead83, Jun 05, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +39.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a clear light orange. no head, thus no retention or lacing.

smell is outta this world. crisp ginger, fresh grapefruit, lemongrass notes and other citrus characteristics blend perfectly.

taste: nice ginger notes, grapefruit and a minimal malty flavor.

mouthfeel: a nice tart kick cleanses the palate to make way for all the fruity flavors. doesnt leave anything linfering

overall: without a doubt the best thing from shiner. pretty damn good on top of that!

northaustin, Jun 05, 2011
3.48/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into the free Shiner Bock mug I got with the sixer. Woo Hoo.... Free shit!!!

A) It's a yellowish orange. I guess that makes it amber. There was very little head and no lacing.

S) It kind of smells like a combination pine/grapefruit car air freshener. I think I mean this in a good way.

T) The initial flavor to me is that of lemon and grapefruit peel. The ginger is quite present in the finish, probably a little too much ginger for my taste. It does make it quite refreshing.

M) A light bodied beer, as you would expect. The carbonation seems right for the style. There is sizzle from the ginger.

O) Pretty good on a hot and humid summer day. This beer is certainly not for everyone, but I think Shiner hit the target they were aiming for.

RoamingGnome, Jun 04, 2011