2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery

Shiner Ruby RedbirdShiner Ruby Redbird

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.01% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011)
View: Beers (22) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 657 | Reviews: 183 | Show All Ratings:
DavidST

2.78/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass, no bottle date.

Pours a light golden color with a minimal white head which dissipates almost instantly, no lacing what so ever, a stream of carbonation forms in the middle, nothing special. Smells are of ginger with hints of grapefruit. Feel is very light but perhaps what you'd expect with a summer beer. The taste is light of ginger with a little bread malts with a grapefruit after taste and not a good hoppy grapefruit, but a rancid rotten one which I hope doesn't linger much longer. Yeah its a summer beer, pretty light and maybe easy to drink (don't confuse with worthwhile to drink), but not at all to my taste. What a disappointment considering how much I love a good ginger beer (the non alcoholic stuff).

07-27-2011 01:42:06 | More by DavidST
Bitterbill

Wyoming

3.43/5  rDev +8.9%

It pours nicely, looks like an IPA colourwise, good 1 finger head of foam, not much lacing. The foam leaves the scene very quickly but the colour is nice.

The smell is attractive to me; strong nose of ginger, side note of some grapefruit.

The taste is so similar to the smell and what I expected after taking a few whiffs. Ginger takes no. 1, grapefruit no.2, and for what Spoetzl intended, or at least what I think they intended, they hit the nail on this one. I love a good ginger ale, ginger beer...so I'm enjoying sipping and drinking this 4.01%abv concoction. I guess it *could* have been listed as one of them there malternatives but like I said it's doing okay for me and I do find it rather refreshing. My bucks wasted on a 6 pack? Nah.

07-26-2011 22:48:20 | More by Bitterbill
wingman14

2.8/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours dark orangish yellow with a foamy white head. The smell is tart, with a noticeable grapefruit smell, but not overwhelming. The taste in interesting, the citrus and grapefruit dominate, with the other beer qualities taking a back seat. The flavors are not as expected, but they do push the limits of fruit beers. This one had light carbonation and a decent mouthfeel. I do not think I would buy this again, the flavor just wasn't refreshing as I thought it would be.

07-26-2011 22:25:22 | More by wingman14
WastingFreetime

Wisconsin

3.48/5  rDev +10.5%

A grapefruit and ginger beer.

Looks like a clear golden colored soda with fizzy carbonation to match. No head at all, thin body, as if it is trying to be a shandy. The problem with this is that the beer was *brewed* with the grapefruit juice, so that it can't technically be called a shandy. Judged as a beer, the texture and appearance are not good.
The first thing that hits on the nose is the strong ginger aroma, followed by minor chords of citrus peel (but distinctly NOT from hops) and than the bready malt underneath. Perhaps even the slight hint of cinnamon. Tastes dry and pleasingly spicy, puckers you up with grapefruit acidity in the middle of the sip but that element gets out of the way rather than building up cloyingly, so bonus points for that.
Behaves like a 50/50 blend of summer beer and ginger ale that somebody squeezed the essential oils of a piece of red grapefruit rind into. Does indeed fill the role of a summer thirst-quencher, but it is one of those strange brews that fall into the category of "barely even able to call it beer anymore."
The basic malt and yeast of a beer are often lost beneath ginger ale elements in this brew, which may or may not be a problem for you depending upon what you are seeking from your bottle. An excellent thirst-quencher with nice flavor? It has you covered. A craft beer? Umm...not exactly.

07-23-2011 02:21:15 | More by WastingFreetime
budgood1

3.03/5  rDev -3.8%

pours out a clear dark gold colour with athin fizzy head reducing to nothing in a heartbeat. fruity aroma...of course there is grapefruit, then a mix of malty sugar and other sweet, slightly tropical smells. flavour follows suit with fruity overtones of grapefruit and sweet malts. pretty dry in the finish and there is the slightest hint of some herbal and astringent hopping. crisp and clean mouthfeel with a bottomless body. i could pound the hell out of this on a hot day, like today.

overall...another shiner product that appeals to the least sophisticated of us...BUT...this has a certain appeal to those of us that enjoy and like marguiritas, etc. on hot days and in the sun. a summer quencher for sure that can be drank right out of the bottle with no regrets.

the label does say serve ice cold on a hot day...fair enough!!

07-17-2011 20:43:36 | More by budgood1
Redrover

3.13/5  rDev -0.6%

I saw this one on tap during my last visit to Houston. I like some of Shiner’s offerings so I thought I would give this one a try.

Served in a standard shaker, the beer is copper with minimal head. It has a nose of citrus, sugars and malts.

Taste starts sweet. Red grapefruit, minimal hops some grainy malt. Beer turns citrus puckering midglass. In fact it becomes more unbalanced as it warms.

Mouth is bordering thin but zippy carbonation makes it average. Glad I tried it, would only repeat on occasion.

07-15-2011 17:52:33 | More by Redrover
mdwalsh

Iowa

2.95/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

A; A not unattractive beer with a deep golden body and light beige, tightly bubbled head. Brilliant Clarity and pretty good active carbonation, though head retention is poor.

S: Grapefruit, but not hoppy. Closer inspection gives some amber malts, but a displeasing...something. Musty?

T: Hmmm, yeah. No. Tastes more like rind than fruit. No classic off flavors, just a poor blending on ingredients I think.

M: Good, just what I would expect from a summer beer. Appropriate carbonation for fruity styles as well.

D; Nope.

07-10-2011 18:17:59 | More by mdwalsh
Travix1516

3.1/5  rDev -1.6%

This was a decent beer. It had a strong grapefruit smell which is to be expected from a beer that hinges the flavor profile on the fruit. It often reminded me of Shiner's Hefeweizen, but that may have been due to the citrus notes. It was refreshing on a hot day and I would have it again, but I don't really see myself buying a six pack of it. Not great, not bad. A decent beer.

07-04-2011 01:56:04 | More by Travix1516
DerekP

3.38/5  rDev +7.3%

Okay, so it's a fruit beer, and fruit beer's really don't taste like traditional beers with a solid malt bill.

Shiner Ruby Redbird is kind of like a ginger ale, but with alcohol. I'm talking about a serious ginger ale, not the mass produced "natural flavors" ginger ale.

In my light it looks amber-orange. The head left in a hurry. It smells of ginger up front with the sweet bitterness of grapefruit in the shadows. Again, it tastes and feels like a ginger ale. My guess is there is not one cultivar of hops listed in the ingredients for this recipe, but I haven't seen the blackbook of the brewmaster. Call it a hop-free beer if you can stand to imagine such a blasphemous concoction.

Refreshing? Yes. Satisfying? Sure. Does it stand a chance when I've got a choice between it and Bell's Amber Ale or another favorite of mine, Sierra Nevada's Torpedo? No. That being said, nice try.

I like you Shiner Ruby Redbird, but I don't love you.

07-03-2011 01:43:23 | More by DerekP
DuncanIdaho86

3.75/5  rDev +19%

This new seasonal from shiner cut the heat like A lightsaber. Even though most any frosty cold beer will cool you down on a hot summers day, The Ruby Rerbird did it with style.

I poured right into the pint glass, and though I was expecting a deep, sanguine red ale (on account of the name), I was surprised to see a hazy, rustic yellow ale. Either way it smelled fantastic, biting at my senses with that ginger aroma. Whooo-eee! If anything, the ginger kick dominates the grapefruit addition - but its still there. The fruity notes are undeniably there on the palette.

Good mouth feel, if not a little fizzy right? Better try a second to be absolutely sure.

07-01-2011 17:01:22 | More by DuncanIdaho86
justinjj1280

Georgia

2.58/5  rDev -18.1%

Pours an orange/amber, and the head dissipates fairly quickly.

Aroma is very strong on citrus, and the taste follows. It's grapefruit, but tastes more like lemon to me. The acidic citrus flavor and the ginger are just overpowering, and overshadow any other beer flavors that might be there.

This is a confusing beer. It is crisp and refreshing, but just tastes out of balance. If they tweaked the recipe a bit, they might be on to something. For summertime concept fruit beers, I'd go with 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon or Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy. This is not a repeat buy for me, even though I give them credit for creativity.

06-29-2011 03:21:49 | More by justinjj1280
suspect

2.55/5  rDev -19%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass. Big thanks to my friend Audrey who brought some up with her from the ATL.

A: Crystal clear pale golden. Aggressive pour has head foam up big and fast and disappear almost as quickly. Strong bubbles come up from the middle. No lacing to speak of.

S: Hmmm...the grapefruit and ginger are there but so is the smell of pale malt. It literally smells like a weak ginger ale. Interesting smell but I've definitely smelled better from fruit/vegetable beers.

T: Yeesh. Um. A weak mix of ginger and um...beer. Sorta. Man. This is a tough one to power through. Like a flat not-so-sweet ginger ale.

M: Light-bodied, highly carbonated, watery even. Leaves a weird stickiness that disappears quickly.

O: Thankfully this was a freebie. There are just so many good summer beers, I'm not sad that this one is available in a store near me. Avoid.

06-29-2011 01:31:00 | More by suspect
cdizinno

South Carolina

A: Clear amber color. No head or lacing.

S: Ginger, citrus and malty grains.

T&M: Very thin and highly carbonated. Slightly bitter up front, more of that grapefruit bitterness. Fades with a nice ginger flavor.

Okay and great to drink in the summer. Not much of a beer though, more of a flavored malt beverage.

06-28-2011 21:29:10 | More by cdizinno
Pegasus

3.05/5  rDev -3.2%

Appearance: Clear medium amber in color, with a large, persistent and coarse off-white head. Streams of miniscule bubbles drift lazily to the surface. The lacing is thin and scattered.

Aroma: Ginger and grapefruit rind dominate the aroma. Thankfully, the aroma is more spicy than sweet, avoiding disturbing comparisons to "malternatives". There is a moderate pale malt note as well.

Taste: Citrus and ginger flavors dominate from start to finish, but, thankfully, without any syrupy sweetness. Clean malt notes are present as well, but in a supporting role. The taste finishes with a mild, lingering grapefruit rind note.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, and pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: Its different, but not at all bad. Served very cold, it is actually quite refreshing on a hot Texas summer day. Cheers to Shiner for something out of the ordinary.

Presentation: Packaged n a twelve-ounce brown glass longneck bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a standard Pilsenerr glass.

06-28-2011 01:08:12 | More by Pegasus
SuperSpy

Georgia

3.15/5  rDev 0%

A golden color and a little hazy. The head that dies immediately. No head retention and no lacing. Lots of bubbles let you know that the beer is still alive though.

Sweet, citrusy and a good helping of ginger. It's actually a pretty nice aroma.

Thin and spritzer like. All of the carbonation and sweet citrus flavor up front almost makes you think you're drinking a soda but then you get a mix of grapefruit and ginger. Those flavors are then joined by a light malt base but it's the ginger that rides your tongue all the way through the finish.

It's very refreshing but it barely feels like I'm drinking a beer. I think I could get something very similar by mixing ginger ale and grapefruit juice. It's very refreshing and good for the summertime heat, but it needs to look and feel like a beer.

06-26-2011 19:23:06 | More by SuperSpy
brewdlyhooked13

3.88/5  rDev +23.2%

Appearance - this beer has a golden color with a touch of red. Observe the head quickly because it disappears fast.

Aroma - the initial hit is sweet, pink grapefruit. Only after it settles down can I pick up some spicy ginger. I like the combo.

Taste - only a hint of sourish grain at first sip. Lots of grapefruit and ginger flavor. It could easily go sweet but does not. The flavors stay light and with good balance between the two flavorings. The finish is clean if not plain. Tastier as a fruit beverage than a beer, but I do like it.

Mouthfeel - bubbly and crisp, light and refreshing.

Drinkability - these are good. I think pounding through them short-circuits the mild but interesting flavors, yet they are easy to drink down. Toasting this one to my in-laws down in Katy, dodging firestorms tonight. Be safe folks, and to all my Lone Star pals down there, too. Safe home.

06-22-2011 03:22:10 | More by brewdlyhooked13
NeroFiddled

3.28/5  rDev +4.1%

Shiner Ruby Redbird
12 oz. bottle; $1.49 Total Wine & More, Claymont, DE

So I have a Shiner Ruby Redbird sitting here before me. I know nothing about it except that it's listed here on BA as a "Fruit / Vegetable Beer". Odd.

It poured a clear deep-golden orange amber body beneath a short head of white that simply vanished. Perhaps my glass is not "beer clean", but it only leaves minor spots of lace that appear and fade between sips.

The aroma is interesting. It's sweetish, and spicy. I'm thinking ginger and lemon, and perhaps some berries (which is probably coming from the yeast). It's clean and inviting.

In the mouth it's light-medium in body and gently zesty.

The flavor clearly displays the ginger. It has the spiciness, but it also has the more 'meaty' flavor of the ginger. I'm not sure about the lemon I found in the nose as it seems more like lime here. Regardless, there's a little bit of citric acid tartness that helps balance it as there's very little bitterness; however, the malt isn't really that sweet, it's just a slightly bready, straightforward golden malt. You notice the malt at the end, but upfront it's all ginger.

I sampled this beer fairly warm, and I wonder what it would be like ice-cold on a sunny day while cooking outdoors. The cold might make it seem a little more spicy and gingery. And it would cover up the malt a bit more... it's almost not a "beer". But OK, it's at least refreshing, and a touch interesting. It's not a beer that I'd immediately reach for or buy again, but I can think of quite a few mainstream American lagers and/or light beers that I'd pass over for this one. I'm not sure I can give this one a "worth trying", but that wouldn't be the worst thing you could do.

06-21-2011 14:46:46 | More by NeroFiddled
csiewert

Oregon

2.42/5  rDev -23.2%

This beer pours a clear amber color with no head whatsoever. The aroma is strong with Ginger and grapefruit. The taste is similar to a Ginger ale and not much else. The mouthfeel is overcarbonated and dry. Overall an interesting idea for a beer style, but poorly executed.

06-20-2011 22:08:49 | More by csiewert
OverToad

1.1/5  rDev -65.1%

I had high hopes for this beer. Shiner makes some good beer so I thought what a great idea. Boy was I wrong.

The beer looks nice as you pour it but that's where it stops.

Taste is just horrible. All I taste Is strong ginger ale and no grapefruit.

Mouthful reminds me of the fountain drInks that run out of syrup.

This has to be the worst beer I have ever had and I've had some bad ones.

06-20-2011 13:23:39 | More by OverToad
grittybrews

Washington

2.33/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured the color of light apple cider into a pint glass with a finger of fluffy white head. Medicinal aroma of ginger ale and grapefruit.

Lowish carbonation and a thin mouthfeel. Ginger up front followed by light grain and grapefruit (but not the hoppy kind).

Love the flavor combination in theory, but this wasn't for me (the wife enjoyed it, though). Tasted like flat ginger ale and dish soap.

06-20-2011 04:03:50 | More by grittybrews
beertunes

Washington

2.35/5  rDev -25.4%

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a clean, clear light gold color, with less than a half-inch of white head that dissipated instantly and left no lacing.

The aroma was fairly neutral and bland, certainly a bit of grapefruit but no real beer scent. The beer had a bit more grapefruit on the tongue and a moderate amount of basic beer taste came through, in a very subdued manner.

The body was very thin and just a little sticky. Drinkability was OK, but with the beer being so blah, why would you several? Overall, nothing special. Try it if you like grapefruit, otherwise drink something else.

06-19-2011 20:52:06 | More by beertunes
avalon07

South Carolina

3.03/5  rDev -3.8%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a golden brown color and a completely clear texture. There was a half inch of foamy, quickly dissipating head. Zero lacing.

S: A somewhat subdued aroma of grapefruit and ginger.

T: Tasted of ginger up front, with grapefruit and malt in the finish. Fruit/vegetable beers aren't the most complex brews by nature, but this one doesn't do that reputation any favors.

M: A solid amount of carbonation with a slick finish. Light-bodied.

O: While not a completely horrid beer, it certainly doesn't stick in your mind after you've finished it.

06-19-2011 12:10:05 | More by avalon07
videofrog

2.48/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. No freshness date on bottle.

A: Apple juice. 1/2 finger white head dissipated almost instantly. No carbonation bubbles rising.

S: Ginger and grapefruit. As advertised.

T: Grapefruit bitterness and tartness with a bit of the ginger there, too. Citrus hops are in the background.

M: Thin. Also lacking in carbonation.

O: Not on par with last two Shiner seasonals (Winter Warmer & Dortmunder). I worry that I may have gotten a bad bottle from an HEB make your own 6 pack. But no skunk or oxidation symptoms. I totally missed the Munich malt and the Mt. Hood & Cascade hops mentioned on the back label.

06-19-2011 03:44:38 | More by videofrog
diamondc

2.3/5  rDev -27%

12 oz single for about a $1.50

A: Looked great at the beginning, a really dense head, but then it just petered out in a blink of an eye.

S: Artificial grapefruit, not getting much ginger here. Almost reminds me of bathroom/kitchen disinfectant.

T: The malts are so weak, there is no hop. All there is is fizziness and bitter non-juicy grapefruit. The worst tasting ginger flavor lingers long after a sip. Terrible.

M: Really fizzy, might be thirst quenching in Texas weather.

O: Can't recommend this one at all. I don't know what Shiner was thinking. Smokehaus was leaps better than this.

06-15-2011 10:55:30 | More by diamondc
moosemoose

Oklahoma

3.53/5  rDev +12.1%

Bottle into pint glass

A: Golden orange. Very bubbly. One finger head dissipates within a minute.

S: Notes of juniper and lemongrass over grapefruit and small amounts of citrus.

T: A bit watery. Ginger. I can't taste the grapefruit as much as others, I suppose. Lemon with a hint of mint.

M: Very crisp and refreshing. Light body. Highly carbonated.

O: Drink one (or two) after mowing your lawn.

06-14-2011 03:52:19 | More by moosemoose