Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Reviews: 236 | Hads: 1,127
3.09/5  rDev -1%

12 ounce bottle - $1.49 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours out a golden-orange body, quite clear, and with a bubbly white head that was gone in the time it took to yell at Meemo the cat for clawing up the poor, defenseless carpet. That idiot.

Smell: Ginger. Ginger. Ginger. Ginger. Ginger. Grapefruit. It's like a game of "Duck, Duck, Goose" where every so often you'll pick up a hint of grapefruit and then can jump and run around the room waving your arms and hollering about.

Taste: The malts and hops really take a backseat here to the ginger, if they're even in the car at all, though there is a very small hint of basic grains. As my tongue develops an eventually immunity to the heavy ginger, I can pick up some of that grapefruit character with some tinges of tartness and citric acidity to it. That's about all there is to it.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Lightly carbonated.

Overall: Maybe the ladies will like it. I was considering waking up the girlfriend for a sniff and taste (of the beer, you horrible monsters), but I can already hear the "you woke me up to try some goofy beer?!" rant, so I'll bypass that headache. Me, I was not a fan of this, but I didn't get too angry about it. That'd be like getting angry at a can of Vernors. (1,275 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured into a pint glass, i got a thick bubbly head that quickly dissipated and was left with no head at all. There are strong apple, orange and pear aromas that are very pleasing to the nose. Its crystal clear with very little carbonation and is a dark golden/blonde color. Its light bodied with strong citrus flavors (grapefruit and orange mainly) and is tart overall. There’s no alcohol taste at any point when you drink this beer. (436 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +25%

I guess I gotta hand it to Spoetzl for doing something a little different. (fondly recollecting the "peachy" Holiday Cheer...I got along with that one okay). This unusual concoction sparked me to stroke a review, the first one in a while.

Worked really hard to get a 1/2" head...very short lived. zero lacing

Redish amber...looks OK. Almost like bourbon in a glass.

Can detect a little lemon and grapefruit in the nose, a little rosemary.

First taste catches me totally off guard... Rosemary! Almost as if I had bitten into a fresh sprig! Was not expecting that..I guess it is the ginger, cascade, grapefruit combo.

A little thin on the mouthfeel

At first, the unusual nature of this struck me as, well, astrigently off the mark. After a couple more, and then a couple more the next day, I am coming to embrace it as a decent summer refresher. On one of those scorching hot summer days, its low alcohol, light bodied, citrusy nature could cause me to beg for more.

EDIT (10/23/11) : After this long long HOT HOT HOT and DRY summer, it seemd that I could not get enough of this one. Ice cold on a hot days straight out of the bottle, went down several 12 packs. (1,168 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Bright clear amber-gold with a very small head. Little lacing. Aroma is bland, with some hints of ginger. Flavor: about what can be expected: a mix of solid ginger with citrus tartness. The ginger is fine, but the grapefruit doesn't really work; it's not identifiably grapefruit, to me. Malt and hops are barely detectable at all.

A very average beer. Shiner has one really good beer in their line-up: Holiday Cheer. I was hoping for this one to show off Texas grapefruit like the Cheer does Texas peaches, but this is another forgettable beer from the "little" brewery in Spoetzl. (583 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -25.3%

Light, just a few steps off from being refreshing/thirst-quenching. Grapefruit is prominent, but not as satisfying as I'd hoped for. Ginger kicks a bit of spice. No alcohol flavor detected. Notes of lemon zest/rind. Spritzy (very highly carbonated.)

Best way to sum this up is "Zima reincarnated." Not kidding. Maybe a touch of Tequiza too... Definitely alcopoppy.

I applaud the brewery's continued efforts to add more beers to their line up. Shiner is a trusted TX brand and these excursions help turn people on to drinking better beer and to not fear exploration. But this one I will not be purchasing again. Can't win 'em all! (633 characters)

3.27/5  rDev +4.8%

A - A clear, light, and bright amber, akin to lighter beers. High carbonation to begin, lessens as you drink. Head is thin and quickly vanishes.

S - About an equal amount ginger and sweet grapefruit aromas, no hint of alcohol.

T - More ginger than grapefruit. The ginger tingles in your mouth first, with a light and tangy grapefruit finish. I'm surprised (and a little disappointed) there isn't more grapefruit flavor here.

M - Definitely one of the more carbonated beers I’ve tasted. Also very gingery, not unlike ginger ale actually.

O - Ruby Redbird is a fairly good at what it does: refresh. If you enjoy a lighter beer on a hot summer day, this is a nice change of pace. Plenty of flavor, but anyone that doesn't care for ginger should steer clear. (760 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +35.6%

I... Like... this... beer! and i did NOT think i would! GO SHINER!!! I love SB and the black and some of the others but when my wife brought this home i was beyond skeptical - flash back to smokearse... i mean smokehaus... but it was a sorta hot day... i was ready for cold beer so... and the cute little label was so inviting. so i poured one in a cold glass - no much head, some bubbles nice gold color. but the smell was quite nice - i walked outside... the grapefruit and ginger were there and the hops too... somewhere back there... i walked out in the yard... the wind blew the trees around... kids where yelling... my neighbor was mowing. i downed a redbird and got another - and another... next day we had some friends over. we chilled out back and knocked back some redbirds... it was a good day... its gonna be a nice long summer... thanks shiner. its about DAMN time... this beer is unique- the grapefruit and ginger are up front but not overpowering - very tart and almost dry but very refreshing when its hot and humid... best ice cold. it is not sweet at all - i hate sweet beer but this is not sweet at all. i love to slosh it around in the glass it bubbles up and goes crazy - also lets that grapefruit smell out...

have not tried with food yet - i bet it would be great with pho!

i love ipa etc but this is something different and i'm so glad shiner did it. totally makes up for the smokehaus! i knew you had it in you shiner - now keep it up - GO CRAZY!!! (1,475 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +26.9%

This is the first time I've ever seen this in stores, I wonder if I've just missed it the past few years or if it's really that new? Anyway, I had to try it, being a big fan of regular shiner and their bohemian black. It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect, I read other people's reviews that said the ginger is overwhelming, not for me, it's barely there. The grapefruit comes through the most, and honestly it's hard to tell this is a beer. It's quite refreshing and the ABV is low enough that the citrus tastes pretty much drowns tasting any alcohol. The only thing about this beer that isn't superb is the aftertaste... grapefruit always did have an odd aftertaste and it comes through in this. You know the pine-y aftertaste you get from a really deep IPA? Have you ever tried grapefruit seed extract? It's pretty similar. This beer has a pretty heavy, not particularly pleasant aftertaste. It's not horrible, but it caught me off guard. Overall, I like it, it's something new and different and definitely fits the season. (1,031 characters)

1.28/5  rDev -59%

I will make this review short and sweet. This beer is straight up nasty. The ginger is way over powering and totally dominates anything and everything. It tastes like diluted ginger beer, with a sickly ill deathly twang. The mouthfeel and carbonation is atrocious. This beer is just not viable to drink by itself.

The one saving grace is, it may make a perfect base for mixing. Grab some dark rum and use it to make a Dark and Stormy and thank me later. Really disappointing, by far the worst Shiner offering to date. (519 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +17.6%

I poured a 12 oz bottle into my Sierra Nevada pint glass.

The beer was a golden amber color with a white soapsy head that disappeared quickly. The smell is mostly ginger with grapefruit backing it up and a hint of citrus peel. The taste is dominated by ginger, it's tart and a bit sour, the aftertaste is grapefruit rind. The beer is very light and spritzy with attacking carbontaion and a nice dry finish. This beer kind of shocked me coming from Shiner, most of there beers are plain and similar but this is very different, but good. (536 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -42.3%

Picked up a 6pack at The Smoke Stack in Westpoint MS, I promise I won't hold this beer against them...

Poured a pretty golden color, promising!
Then I smelled it... and I should have stopped right there, soapy ginger smell, kinda like pickled ginger but more unpleasant. Tasted even worse to me, overwhelmingly ginger flavored with a bad almost stale beer undertone. I couldn't get past my 2nd sip. Maybe this is right to its style, if there even is such thing, but it sure isn't for me. I have no clue what I'll do with the remaining 5 bottles, too bad, I like most of their other offerings (592 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -4.8%

My wife picked up a six pack of this one earlier today, and temptation got the best of me. Poured a translucent amber color with an instantly disappearing tan head. Aromas of tart grapefruit, lemon zest and tea. Light bodied and crackly, with flavors of grapefruit, lemon zest and a little ginger. (297 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +31.7%

Poured into a St. Arnolds Pint Glass.

Appearance: Dark golden with a straw colored head that dissipated quickly.

Smell: Dominated by ginger, very much like ginger ale soda with earthy malt tones underneath.

Taste: A moderate ginger taste supplemented by the characteristic Shiner earthy malt taste, with a tart aftertaste added by the grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated, not particularly distinctive.

Overall: This would be a great session beer for me. I love the taste, it's refreshing, and it's crisp. It would be nice if it had a bit more complexity but overall I enjoyed it very much. (599 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -28.2%

Strong smell of grapefruit and ginger. Called the perfect summer beer but I have had many that were better. I generally prefer dark beer and reds but this red didn't work. Taste was unpleasant and fruit overpowered the beer. Bad aftertaste. Prefer regular Shiner to this. Not for me and I like just about any beer.. (315 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured into a straight pint glass.

A. Kind of an orange-amber colour with no head and plenty of rising bubbles.

S. Not bad - some ginger spice and plenty of citrus. A bit grainy too I think.

T. I'm getting much less grapefruit in the taste than I did in the nose, and much more ginger, but the spice is still relatively subdued and not overpowering. I can feel it more than taste it.

M. Kinda thin and watery. Lots of prickly carbonation... or is that the ginger?

O. I could definitely see me drinking a couple of these on a sweltering, baking Texas day in July or August. For all its faults it's a pretty good thirst quencher. Put a pint of Live Oak Pilz next to this though... no contest.

I'm always interested to see what Shiner come up with - sometimes it's a winner, sometimes not. I go with thumbs up for this one. (828 characters)

3.16/5  rDev +1.3%

The beer pours a clear golden-orange color with a white head. The first thing I get in the aroma is some ginger, but I then get some grapefruit notes. The flavor is more of the same. I get some slightly tart grapefruit, ginger and bready malt. Refreshing. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not a great beer, but this is better than some other Shiner beers. (363 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -46.2%

Pours a clear golden amber color, spritzy, but with no head formation whatsoever.

Aroma is strong ginger spice, with a lemony fresh scent.

Flavor follows. Ginger dominates, finishing with a hint of bitterness from a hint of lemon rind.

Medium-light body, with bright carbonation. In all honesty, the lemony freshness of this beer tastes more and more like dish soap the more this warms. After a good run of new beers from Shiner, I have to say this one is ill conceived.

In six years on BA I have never rated a beer an F. Unfortunately, that string is now broken. (567 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice finish.

Its not too sweet, not to fruity. The grapefruit is there but its not too strong, the ginger is slightly watered down. The smell is there more than anything.

its a good summer beer from what I've had, grant it I haven't had too many grapefruit beers. Overall, I enjoyed it. (290 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +15.4%

A- Pours a light orange color, quite clear. Basically no head even with a fairly agressive pour- I've got to dock some points for that, the beer just looks kinda of syrupy- like a warm orange soda.

S- A kick of ginger hits my nose. It's kind of nice- somewhere between fresh and candied ginger. I'm searching for some fruit or malt or hops but all I'm getting is ginger. But to be honest I like that. It really appeals to my proclivity for ginger ale, and spicy gingery ginger ale.

T- That is... weird. Much drier and more minerally than expected. I guess the look tricked me into expecting a super sweet beer, but that's not what I get. The ginger flavor is watered down. The grapefruit is there, not super strong, but coming out especially in the aftertaste, like eating a fresh grapefruit slice pith and all.

M- I could definitely take more carbonation in this beer. The ginger makes it sharper than it would be otherwise, but even so it would make for a better refreshing beer.

O- I expected to really like a grapefruit and ginger flavored beer, but I wasn't expecting to be super impressed with a Shiner beer. So I think this met those combined expectations. I like the ginger smell, but the taste is a little too watery. (1,230 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: pours out a clear, dark straw color with a thin white head that faded quickly. carbonation racing up the glass. It looks a lot like carbonated apple juice.

S: i get a lot of citrus in the nose. smells like grapefruit and lime. I also get a good amount of ginger, and some straw aromas. there is a sweetness in the aroma as well. i actually like the aroma.

T: i get quite a bit of ginger at first, and then it goes into a grapefruit flavor, and finishes bitter like a grapefruit. it needs a little more malt flavor i feel. it almost tastes like carbonated water, but at the same time i sort of like it.

M: thin and very carbonated.

O: overall i think this is a pretty good beer. it would be perfect for lounging at the pool here in phoenix. This is intended as a summer seasonal, and i think it fits that pretty well. It is thin and refreshing. i dont think i would buy this at the bar, but i would buy a six pack for my next pool party. (945 characters)

3.44/5  rDev +10.3%

A - Golden orange body with a spritey head that dissolves quickly.

S - Smells like a malty grapefruit. Slightly sweet, slightly bitter. Interesting.

T - Intense grapefruit on the front, finishes with decent smoothness. Lots of crispness and bite with little harshness. Interesting.

M - I'm yearning for a bit more carbonation. I think that this would make the beer much more enjoyable for me. It has such a smooth finish and plenty of grapefruit character, it seems like the intensity could be lacking in this dept.

O - I've never had a grapefruit beer before. The concept is interesting. Did Shiner deliver? Certainly in flavor. Some areas were lacking IMO, but I did enjoy. (680 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -37.2%

12 bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance - Clear light golden bronze body with no real head to speak of, just a very thin lace that doesn't stick at all.

Smell - Reminds me of a Squirt softdrink. Maybe a little grapefruit. Very familiar smell, just can't pinpoint it. Maybe a Capri Sun or Hi C...

Taste - Extremely bland. Slight citrus bitter aftertaste. Tastes like seltzer water with an exceedingly small splash of artificial grapejuice.

Mouthfeel - Very slight effervescence. Feels pretty flat overall .

Overall Drinkability - This beer has no redeeming value. It is among the most bland beers I've ever had. Basically a michelob ultra with a worse mouthfeel. (673 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +10.6%

Appearance: Firm pour gives me no head on an extremely clear amber glass.

Smell: Grapefruit rind with fresh ground ginger, pretty much what it says on the tin. There is some classic Shiner yeast and a bit of a soapy, candle scent, but all in all I like the core smell.

Taste: A small let down from the nose, much more of a soda taste, a ginger ale if you will. The ginger does leave a light heat behind, encouraging the next sip.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light body, fizzy carbonation, pretty dry finish.

Overall: Ok, I'm a bit of a fanboy for Shiner, but I could see picking up another 6er of this for a Summer sipper, and one I could see offering to guests. Walks a crazy line, but glad to see Shiner willing to take some risks. (727 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -28.2%

I'd heard mixed reviews of this beer from folks around town and needless to say the almost bi-polar reviews on here intrigued me. Like another reviewer before me, I've never actually written a review on BA for anything, but felt that I should chime in on this one.

A: Poured into a pint glass straight down the middle looking for a head to really release the aroma. About a 1/2 finger head was present for a few seconds before quickly dissipating. Has a nice amber color and visible carbonation.

S: Fresca. No joke. You get a nose full of citrus-y grapefruit which I think it just amped up by the ginger.

T: The first thing I noticed about this beer as it hit the tongue was the carbonation. Next you get a mouthful of grapefruit and citrus notes. Mild, mild hops are present but are just blown away by the grapefruit. Leaves a bitter citrus aftertaste on the back of the tongue.

M: Light and heavy carbonation. Like drinking a 7-Up or Fresca.

O: I'm not sure where I stand on this one. Compared to other "fruit beers" such as Dogfish Head Aprihop or Magic Hat #9, this is falls terribly short. I wouldn't put it in the same flavor category as a Lambic due to how watered down this would taste in comparison.

The closest comparison I can think of would be Miller 64 with a slice ruby red grapefruit added. Very drinkable, but worth it?

Opinions are mixed though. Some people really love it, and some like myself feel let down. All in all, I'd at least say give it a try and reach your own opinion. (1,504 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +17.6%

This beer seems to be pretty polarizing, either you like it or hate it. One thing is for sure though - it IS different. 12 oz bottle pours a mostly clear, dark gold color with a small off-white head. Dissipates quickly to near nothingness.

Nose is mostly ginger but some of the grapefruit pokes out if you look for it. Not much in the way of malt and a faint citra hop presence is barely detectable. I would love for the hops to be more bold on the aroma, but this is Shiner were talkin about.

Taste is out there, that is for sure. More depth than a ginger beer, but the asian root still dominates for the most part. The grapefruit is a nice addition and the malts are kept light and grainy. Hops are low-key but the bitterness is not really missed with the zesty grapefruit and ginger. If it were my recipe, I would dial down the ginger and dry hop it with lots more amarillo and citra. Having said that, I am really enjoying this seasonal offering and am already on my 3rd sixer of it. It is a very good, refreshing summer beer to go with the hot, humid dog days of summer soon to be here. Say what you will about Shiner’s regular lineup, but their seasonals have been innovative and for the most part quite good. (1,219 characters)

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner