Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Reviews: 236 | Hads: 1,127
3.09/5  rDev -1%

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Clear golden color with a slight red tinge. One fingers worth of quickly disappearing head with no lacing.

Smell- Grain and ginger aromas with a hint of citrus.

Taste- Ginger flavor with a hint of pale malt and a sweet grapefruit finish.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied with a slightly below average amount of carbonation.

Overall- While this isn't a bad tasting beer, it is not one I would try again. (447 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Gold in color. Light tinge of ruby/amber. Goes flat in under a minute.

Big ginger in the nose with a citrusy backdrop. Notes of treacle and faint grapefruit.

Tastes a little like ginger ale. Prominent ginger note comes off very refreshing. Faint citrus notes. Grapefruit is actually a bit of a stretch. A little minty in the finish. I think that's a hop contribution.

Higher carbonation. Weak, because the beer doesn't hold its own in the body.

Refreshing, I guess. Totally one-note. Works like an alcoholic ginger ale. That's pretty more much it. (551 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Tasted On: 06-09-2013
Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 12 oz. brown bottle, twist-cap
Glassware: Globe glass
Purchased: 6-pack from Kroger

Orange-amber in color, clear, with a small white head. The head fades quickly with low retention and really no lacing to speak of.

Aromas are of grapefruit, and ginger, giving it a smell akin to a ginger ale soda with some fruit additions.

The taste has a bit of tartness up front from the grapefruit, and then features a good amount of ginger - enough to notice, but not so much as to overwhelm like some ginger beers I've had. Tastes like a fruity ginger ale in many ways, but still has some beery characteristics.

The mouthfeel is prickly from the high carbonation, on a light body. Finishes with quite a bit of ginger aftertaste.

Overall an easy-drinking and refreshing hot weather beer, although it doesn't taste quite like a traditional beer. (897 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -28.2%

Pours a lifeless deep gold bordering copper, no head or retention. Aroma of grated citrus peel and ginger, light malts. In the flavor, twangy ginger, yeast and sour citrus. Flaccid bitterness and bone dry. Over carbonated, too much grapefruit, not enough balance. Unless you love dry grapefruit juice, I'd select a different beer than this. (340 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +25.6%

Shiner Ruby Redbird has a thick, white head that doesn’t last long and leaves behind no lacing. The appearance is clear old gold, with very few streaming bubbles. Aroma is of sharp, tart grapefruit zest and some sweet white bread, with a ginger background. Taste is of red grapefruit, citrus sweetness, a touch of ginger, and tap water. Mouthfeel is between light and medium, and Shiner Ruby Redbird finishes dry, refreshing, easy-drinking, and sweet. Overall, this is a good fruit beer.

RJT (495 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -17%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.75

Pours to a thin white head that falls to a tiny white ring that eventually fades and no lacing. Honey gold color. Aroma is ruby red grapefruit juice and ginger ale. Flavor is a burning acidic grapefruit and spicy ginger with not much else standing out. Mouthfeel is like ginger ale with a slight burning sensation and not like beer at all. Overall, what;'s the point? It's practically "alcopop" anyway. It was recommended by the store owner, but perhaps just to get rid of it? (476 characters)

3.29/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

No bottling date that I could find.

A: Crystal clear amber pour. Small soda-like fizzy white head (with just a hint of pink in it?). Head fizzes away fast. Slight bits of lacing, minimal retention.

S: Lots and lots of ginger for sure. Hint of grapefruit. Smells mostly like a ginger beer or a ginger ale.

T: Yup, lots and lots of ginger again. Mild grapefruit flavor. Not grapefruit hoppy flavor, just like grapefruit juice only sweeter. Almost no bitterness at all in fact, just a hint in the aftertaste. Just some sweet grapefruit (ruby red I assume) and ginger pretty much throughout.

M: High carbonation with a light body.

O: Not a horrible beer but hardly a beer at the same time. Tastes like someone mixed a little ruby red grapefruit juice and ginger ale and called it good. Good summer beer, I guess. I'd rather an APA or a witbier or a saison, myself. This is more of a quasi-craft beer, IMO. Gateway beer. Not horrifying but nothing special. (957 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours with a nice head which evaporates before too long. Lovely orangey yellow shade of beer tone, however. Gingery aroma. Watery body and a pleasant prickly mouthfeel. A richer carbonation would improve this summer beer, however.

Lots of fruit with a citrus edge. The grapefruit taste is distinct without being very bitter. Actually, it doesn't taste anything like the grapefruit we say big hop IPAs taste like. Tangy ginger flavor gives this a spicy touch. Ginger ale, lemonade, and a Witbier taste. Thoroughly drinkable. From the 22 oz botle bought at Depot Liquor in Brownwood, Texas. (589 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -24%

Appearance - no head retention whatsoever. Looks a bit watery.

Smell - sweet. Citrus. Very lemony smell!

Taste - unfortunately not much of a taste, and anything I do get isn't very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - average

Overall - I will not have this again. (253 characters)

A: pale to medium amber beer in a pint - very brief finger of off-white head left no trace and no lace

S: grapefruit - the fruit not the hop aroma - right up front - was interesting, but also conflicted with the malt and hop aromas

T: its beer with red grapefruit juice in it - take it for what you will - I served it ice cold, as suggested on the label, but I didn't notice any perceptible changes for the better or worse as it warmed

M: thin, crisp, light, sparkly

O: perhaps its just not my cup of tea, and I do enjoy grapefruit juice, and i obviously enjoy beer, but this marriage didn't appeal to me. (609 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Fizzy, clear copper.

Smell is a bit worrisome; jarring citrus/lager combination.

Taste is a relief. Crisp and dry. Ginger and grapefruit dominate, malt hard to discern. Pleasant but shallow in spite of multiple flavors.

Imagine a ginger ale shandy, but drier, with a slice of grapefruit. Well-balanced but a little peculiar. Certainly refreshing, though I'd be at a loss what to pair it with. (395 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

i used to drink shiner bock a good bit- it was the $2 beer at a bar i used to visit when i was in college. i havnt drank it much since. i tried this shiner ruby redbird expecting it to be super sweet. i was surprised and happy to be wrong.
it pours darker than i expected for a summer seasonal. its a golden pressing toward amber. the smell is heavy on the ginger with a little citrus. the taste is full of ginger with a nice, not overpowering, bitter.
i like this beer a good bit and i am gonna pick up some more of it. (522 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Somewhat of an orange-ish tan color, clear, not a lot of head or lacing.

Aroma is pleasant, you can definitely smell the ginger. The grapefruit is less pronounced, but it's probably there in what I would describe as more of a citrusy note. There's a light background of malts as well.

The taste follows the smell pretty nicely. Plenty of ginger, especially on the finish. Citrus notes all the way. Malts are basic but ample. There's not a lot of hops.

Body is light and refreshing, and despite the lackluster appearance, it's amply carbonated.

It's a very pleasant and enjoyable beer. I wouldn't mind having a few of these while messing around in the shed in the back yard on a summer day. (695 characters)

1.47/5  rDev -52.9%

Bottled: unk

Got real excited for this, I love grapefruit raddlers, maybe this can be my summer 2013 beer?!

Pours a copper ale with brilliant clarity and no foam. Smells like sugar, some grapefruit (way too sweet), some pear and a little english malt. Pretty unimpressed so far. Tastes like a hot dog with some artificial sweetener and a little grapefruit - horrible. Thin with moderate carb and an off dry finish. That is a shitty beer. (439 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +1%

A: The beer is clear yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high off white head that died down rather quickly, leaving only a thin collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of ginger are present in the nose.
T: The taste is somewhat similar to a mixture of Fresca and ginger ale (with some malts) and has notes of ruby red grapefruit and ginger, the latter of which lingers through the finish. No bitterness is detectable.
M: It feels light-bodied and slightly watery on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This 'beer' is really easy to drink, but it's not interesting enough for me to want more than one of these where I would call it sessionable. (727 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +29.5%

Served on tap at Sam's in Durham. Poured into a DFH pint glass

Pours a light golden color with a very minor head. It has a very pronounced sweet and fruity nose. Very pleasant. The taste is best described as refreshing. Extremely easy to drink. Medium carbonation and a light feel make the drinkability extremely high.

Overall a solid, enjoyable summer beer. Probably my go to beer for the summer. If you dont like this beer, then you dont like summer! (454 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

I like grapefruit and I taste it some IPA so when I saw this I had to try it. Its not an IPA but its good. hard to describe, similar to a Weiss Bier and fruity. Better than Shiner Bock. Low alcohol. easy to drink. This is good for a hot humid summer night. I just with the ABV was higher. (288 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I don't care what anyone says, this is a pretty good brew. far superior to the original shiner bock, and with a well executed twist of creativity that I find just right for warm weather sessioning. the appearance is nothing special, an understated pale ale color with a moderate but rapidly fading white head and very little visible carbonation. the nose has some fresh ginger and a medium American malt base. there is also some interesting citrus notes coming from this, I cant yet pick it out as grapefruit, but it absolutely smells thirst quenching. the flavor is sharp sweet red tangy grapefruit right up front. really fresh and tasty, with the ginger taking more of the spotlight towards the finish. a very refreshing beer indeed. only mildly acidic from the grapefruit, and very very light in body with dancing carbonation, this is a beer I could drink all day on the boat or at a picnic. its got that summery vie to it without using lemons or lager yeast or any of the usual suspects really. easily the best diner brew ive had, despite its mostly negative feedback here on BA. ill buy this again. (1,103 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +39.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I CAN hardly CANtain my joy at having found this in the cooler at Bocktown (Robinson) during my recent visit to Da Burgh. The CANQuest (TM) rejoices!

From the CAN: "Summer Seasonal Beer"; "Beer brewed with Texas Ruby Red grapefruit juice and with ginger and natural flavor added"; "Serve ice cold on hot days".

It is hot and humid and my asthma is kicking into high gear today, so this would be the day for it. It is plenty cold, coming right out of my reefer and once the Crack happens, an inverted Glug into my glass. The nose is amazing! The ginger is pungent and the grapefruit only enhances the smell. I got a brief finger of tawny head following the Glug, but the humidity killed it. Mouthfeel was thin and a little watery, but the taste was very gingery, almost tea-like in its mellowness. Finish was really dry and quite refreshing. I would load a cooler with CANs for a day at the beach.

My original Bottle review of 16 Feb 2013:

Local trader, tone77, recently dropped this off for me, along with a buncha others in a mixed case. I always look forward to his CARE packages and I try to reCANpricate as best as I CAN muster between visits.

From the bottle: "The perfect summer brew"; "Summer seasonal ale brewed with Texas Ruby Red grapefruit juice and with ginger and natural flavor added"; "Ginger [-] all natural tropical spice"; "Grapefruit [-] sweet citrus of the Rio Grande Valley"; "Serve ice cold on hot days"; "This crisp, refreshing summer seasonal is brewed with Texas Ruby Red grapefruit juice, the signature citrus of the Rio Grande Valley. Tartness from the grapefruit and a delightful kick from ginger combine for a taste that's perfect for hot summer days. Its deep gold color and full body come from pure Munich malt and Mt. Hood, Citra and Cascade hops balance the flavor well."; "There's nothing finer! Than a summertime Shiner!"

I am always put in mind of the early Hawaiian Punch ads with Punchy, asking the tourist if he'd like a nice Hawaiian Punch. When he responds in the affirmative, Punchy promptly punches him, resulting in a black eye. I cringe in Texas, especially when ogling the Flying Saucer waitstaff and someone asks me, "Hey, pal, how'd you like a Shiner?" I do not follow my instinct and likewise nod in the affirmative and then go into a defensive stance. YMMV.

Did I mention my new student, named "Tawny"? What a great name, and I had a dense finger of tawny head with good retention following my pour. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. The nose was AMAZING - I caught an initial whiff of grapefruit, but then the ginger suddenly hit me in the sinus cavity! I actually sneezed in surprise. I am all for truth in advertising, but this was unexpected. The mouthfeel was medium, but it was abrasive in its flavor as I was basking in the ginger on the tongue. I still think that Clove Life Savers were the best I ever had as a kid and this reminded me of one of them. The tart of the grapefruit seemed to be lost until the swallow and its incredibly dry finish. No wonder this is a summer beer - it was like liquid alum. My throat constricted and I began to gasp for air. This wasn't dry, it was downright arid! Wow. I definitely want one at a more appropriate time of year. (3,247 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Im usually a huge fan of Shiner beer, however this one didn't settle too well with me. I had picked up this beer last summer thinking it might be a good one to quench the horrible Texas summer heat. Turns out I was wrong.

The beer has a nice red tint to it.

The smell is like a large piece of ginger, some grapefruit and a lemon got blended together and was stuck inside the bottle. It smells pretty good but can be a little overwhelming.

The taste is highly acidic for a beer (grapefruit causes this). It's pretty smooth but a bitter after taste.

Overall, id say this one isn't as enjoyable as I'd hoped it be. Nice try though Shiner. (639 characters)

Big thanks goes out to Mississipping and StayWhatYouAre2’s dad for sharing this one at a tasting recently! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured golden yellow with a half finger white head that subsided to none extremely quickly. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, ginger, and rice. The flavor was of sweet malt, ginger, wheat, and fruit. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty bad brew. I was wondering why their dad was laughing as he brought this one out from the garage fridge to share. He even got more of a kick when I went to smell it. This was definitely not what I was looking for when I came to this tasting. The ginger on this one was what made it so bad in my opinion. While I usually like ginger, this one presented it in a way that I did not enjoy at all. Definitely would make a rather amusing prank on someone if you feel the urge, so keep that in mind. (990 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with amber hues and a 1/2 inch head. Smell is dominated by grapefruit. Taste is tart, grapefruit, a touch of malt, not terrible but not really my thing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent beer. (269 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -5.4%

Appearance is orange and brown in the glass. Soda pop carbonation that due palates hickory to nothing. Mouthfeel is also somewhat flat. Smell is not remarkable - smells like an ale with a hint of citrus. Grapefruit is present on the taste. It is upfront and provides a semi interesting twist to this beer. Probably it's best feature is the low ABV and sessionable nature. Best for a hot summer day served real cold. (415 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint: Transparent light gold with no head.

Smells of grapefruit & ginger (duh, I know, but yeah), lemon, a little tea.

Taste is citrus soda (Fresca, like) with ginger & a light, slightly musty & dry Euro-ish lager taste. Moderately crisp bitter at the end with nice grapefruit peel & ginger aftertaste.

Light-bodied with an assertive dryness & kick from carbonation that's apparently hidden visually. Leave a sort of heavy bristle in aftertaste.

Good summer sipper, & this is my own bias but I'm very into ginger late so that maybe gives it an extra little boost for me right now. Half-soda, half-beer. (641 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours a clear golden with hints of orange. Non-existent head. Nice pickled ginger aroma. Taste begins with a big blast of ginger, followed by a bit of grapefruit sweetness. After that is a little bready maltiness. Very clean, neutral finish. Not bitter at all despite the grapefruit flavor. Mouthfeel is a bit thin. Overall a pretty good beer, light and refreshing. (365 characters)

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner