Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.01% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011)

blinx64, Nov 23, 2011

3.25/5  rDev +2.2%

martyl1000, Nov 16, 2011

wyatt, Nov 15, 2011
2.53/5  rDev -20.4%

Pours with a small off white to light tan head that quickly fades into nothing above a clear carbonated honey golden colored beer.

Aroma is laced with ginger and lemon with some other fruits coming through, maybe grapefruit, with a very light washed out grassy malt hint.

Taste is more ginger, lemon, washed out sweet malts, with other light citrus fruits coming through.

Not very impressed with this outing from Spoetzl.

LXIXME, Nov 08, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +17.3%

A. Poured a amber copper color with a short diminishing off white head no lacing on the glass.

S. Grapefruit, cinnomon, lemmon, grass,some ginger

T. Slightly sourand aslight spiciness.strange taste but I liked it, has tea like quality

M. Light and effervecent. A good duration

O. Even though this brew has a verry strange flavor I liked it I would have to say it would be even better on a really hot summer day.

smibroncos, Nov 06, 2011
3.35/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours clear and the color of a dark apple cider with no head or lacing. Smells of citrus and ginger, very similar to Bud Light Lime, slightly artificial.

Taste-Light and refreshing, well balanced. The grapefruit gives is a sweet taste with a faint taste of giner lingering on the back end. Seems to have more of a malt presence than most other summer fruit beers. Mouthfeel is light and refreshing.

Overall this beer serves it's purpose well. Very refreshing on a hot summer day or for grilling out.

Treyliff, Oct 27, 2011
3.2/5  rDev +0.6%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: Sort of a hazy brownish gold color. No head or lacing.

S: Grapefruit, citrus.

T: Bitter but strangely nice and refreshing. Grapefruit is the most prominent w/some citrus.

M: Not much body or carbonation.

O: I'm kind of torn on how to wrap this up. When I break it apart into the above sections nothing really stands out as great, but overall I thought it worked in a weird way. Especially when this beer is served ice cold on a hot, humid, summer day (which was when I tried it). Sort of a polarizing beer, as opinions on it were divided right down the middle at the BBQ I had it at. But I'll definitely pick some up next summer to give it another shot.

alohaspicoli, Oct 14, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -4.1%

This was an interesting beer. Pours a pale, dingy yellow with a fizzy body, medium head, low retention and ok lacing.

The aroma is of pale malts, grapefruit, and ginger.

The taste follows with over the top ginger and grapefruit juice, pale bready malts underneath and a touch of caramel sweetness. Interesting, but tart and strange.

Thin, crisp and watery..a little overcarbonated.

Overall, interesting, not bad, wouldn't drink more than one.

JayS2629, Oct 03, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -7.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a sickly off yellow color with a finger of foam that disappears almost instantly. No lacing whatsoever. Does not looks very nice. Aroma is strong with ginger... reminds me of sushi.

First sip is just a strong ginger flavor. Very lightly carbonated, so it tastes kind of stale as well. I will say it is refreshingly dry, but the flavor itself is pretty unappealing. Thin bodied.

All I really get is the ginger flavor. No sweetness or anything else appealing. I wouldn't get this again.

FickleBeast, Sep 11, 2011
3.33/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a clear, copper color. 1/5 inch head of an off-white color. Poor retention and poor lacing. Smells of ginger, pale malt, and slight citrus. Fits the style of a Fruit / Vegetable beer. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of ginger, slight sweet malt, slight pale malt, and hint of citrus. Overall, session-able, not complex, and almost completely a ginger beer.

Tone, Aug 30, 2011
2.1/5  rDev -34%

Gets off to an unpromising start by topping its orangish golden body with a head as thin and short lived as soda fizz. Aromas are subdued to the point of barely existing. I get a whiff of something like sparkling mineral water, a hint a citrus, and light grains. The grapefruit is only slightly more prominent on the palate. Has flavors of light, nondescript grains, with a few drops of watery fruit punch, with nothing really popping or asserting its presence. I don't detect much in the way of ginger (which the label says it was brewed with). Easily my least favorite of the Shiner lineup.

droomyster, Aug 28, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -3.1%

A: poured a clear dark golden color. No hint of head.
S: citrus, ginger, grapefruit...interesting.
T: kind of astringent..a tad bitter, pick up on ginger and grapefruit the most.
M: thin body, mild carbonation. Tad of a bite on the tongue. Bitter hang. Unremarkable.
O: not a great effort. It could stand to be more flavorful and not quite as cloying.

Infamous7100, Aug 23, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -4.1%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint glass. No obvious date on the bottle - there appears to be a batch stamp but the numbers are meaningless to me.

Appearance: Solid golden orange with a hint of haze to it. Initial white foam upon poured died to nothing - no foam at all. Nice color, but the lack of lacing takes away from it all.

Smell: Very strong ginger smell along with some earthy notes and just a tiny hint of grapefruit. Interesting, but a bit odd as well.

Taste: Solid ginger hit right at the front - like taking a sip of Blenheim Ginger ale. Immediately after the ginger there is that tart grapefruit citrus, but that passes quickly and moves into a earthy spicy finish. It's a very crisp and almost, but not quite, bone dry mouth puckering finish.

Mouthfeel: Super fizzy and highly scouring carbonation on the palate. Very much like ginger ale. If there is anything else in there besides the carbonation I sure can't find it.

Overall: It's like someone combined citrus and a spicy ginger ale - if there is a beer in here it is well hidden. I can see the refreshing aspect to this beer though - especially when the beer is cold and crisp. Definitely would wake you up on a lethargic summer day. But perfect summer beer? No, not quite. Interesting to try but I can't see myself deliberately trying it again.

damndirtyape, Aug 20, 2011
2.13/5  rDev -33%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my River Horse glass.

A: Light gold with the faintest hint of pink? Or is that my imagination? Head faded very quickly to nothing.

S: Some sweetness, but the nose is dominated by spice, strangely enough. Just a big ginger smell, maybe a bit of clove. Much more intriguing if this were soda.

T: Bit of sweet malt out front, then a total grapefruit/tart citrus bomb. The ginger is present at the end. Seems to get a little better with each sip, perhaps that's my palate being obliterated?

M: Thin, watery, and highly carbonated. Refreshing? I guess.

O: Hard to call this beer. The fruit and spice flavors are the huge majority of the flavor. I get that it is supposed to be refreshing, but I can't imagine enjoying this no matter how thirsty I was.

EDIT: Based on having a second one out of the bottle whilst hot and sweaty, I've adjusted the scores slightly. Not good, but a bit better.

LordHammer, Aug 17, 2011

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass. No visible best before date.

A: Head dissipates before it can even form, leaving nothing on the top. A view bubbles inside a clear, dull golden beer.

S: The ginger overwhelms almost everything. Seriously, it smells like ginger ale. Underneath, the nose catches a glimpse of citrus and maybe hops, it's hard to tell.

T: The grapefruit does serve to partially balance the gingerness, but most of the flavour and feel still comes from the sharp, pervasive spice. Otherwise, the beer is watery (to avoid the pejorative, perhaps I should say 'quenching') and plain. The label claims Citra and Cascade hops, but I can't find them, unless it's the within the gingery dryness right at the end. More likely, they're buried under the copious amounts of (pleasant) grapefruit. I still think this beer tastes like a soft drink -- lemon-lime ginger ale?

M: Well done. Both interesting and thirst-quenching. Nice on a hot day. I suspect this beer is meant to be drunk from the bottle; perhaps I would find it improved if the emphasis were on feel than smell and taste.

O: An interesting beer, if not a good one. I didn't mind drinking it. I wouldn't have another, but I wouldn't say anything against ordering one.

AgentMunky, Aug 09, 2011
3.55/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours joney colored with near zero beige head.
Zero head rentention & lacing

S: Peaches & grassyness, faint ginger notes

T: Peaches & grassy notes, plus red grapefruit up front. A touch of dryness, a bit of honey & more red grapefruit, along with white grape & faint peach notes. Finishes fairly crisp with a nice grapefruit sweetness/bitterness

MF: Light bodied crisp

A very easy drinker, that exceeded my expectations, going down good on a "cool" 95 degree Oklahoma evening

russpowell, Aug 09, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a light copper, no head, and a lot of carbonation rising to the top. Nose is strong ginger with just a hint of citrus. Taste is predominantly ginger with hints of grapefruit. The ginger really dominates, not in a bad way (because I like ginger), but the grapefruit doesn't get an equal share here. This beer is heavily carbonated, very light, and crisp.

It's not awful. It's at least different from most light, tasteless summer beers.

tdm168, Aug 06, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -22%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Poured a golden color.... no head, no lacing... Not a good start... looks flat.. giving a 1.5 because it looks a little like beer.

S: I'm getting the grapefruit right up front.... little hint of ginger.

T: OK, the ginger and malt hit first.... when a wave of tart grapefruit hits you and it hits hard... Finish is pretty clean with a little tart after taste.. Not much else here.

M: Light to mid bodied with no carbonation. A little flat.

O: Strangely not a horrible beer... I'm thinking I got a bad beer here... The tartness of the grapefruit was a little different from most fruit beers I've had.

mralphabet, Jul 31, 2011
1.98/5  rDev -37.7%

Ruby Redbird

Served in New Belgium globe glass

A: Pours clear pale amber with a fizzy head that fizzles out immediately. Very good effervescence.

S: Smells like I cracked open a Vernor's. Beyond the ginger ale, I find no additional aromas.

T: No beer in taste, either. Grapefruit peels to ginger ale then medium bitterness and something like stewed vegetables. Bone dry. Finish is thin and faded ginger and grapefruit bitterness.

M: Light body and bright carbonation. Fizzy and crisp mouthfeel.

O: After a couple of drinks of Ruby Redbird, I thought to myself, "Are Texans really drinking this shit?" Honestly, the smell of freshly grated is such a tease when you follow it up with this beer. Gimmicky, one-trick pony.

Wadsey, Jul 31, 2011
2.78/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass, no bottle date.

Pours a light golden color with a minimal white head which dissipates almost instantly, no lacing what so ever, a stream of carbonation forms in the middle, nothing special. Smells are of ginger with hints of grapefruit. Feel is very light but perhaps what you'd expect with a summer beer. The taste is light of ginger with a little bread malts with a grapefruit after taste and not a good hoppy grapefruit, but a rancid rotten one which I hope doesn't linger much longer. Yeah its a summer beer, pretty light and maybe easy to drink (don't confuse with worthwhile to drink), but not at all to my taste. What a disappointment considering how much I love a good ginger beer (the non alcoholic stuff).

DavidST, Jul 27, 2011
3.43/5  rDev +7.9%

It pours nicely, looks like an IPA colourwise, good 1 finger head of foam, not much lacing. The foam leaves the scene very quickly but the colour is nice.

The smell is attractive to me; strong nose of ginger, side note of some grapefruit.

The taste is so similar to the smell and what I expected after taking a few whiffs. Ginger takes no. 1, grapefruit no.2, and for what Spoetzl intended, or at least what I think they intended, they hit the nail on this one. I love a good ginger ale, ginger beer...so I'm enjoying sipping and drinking this 4.01%abv concoction. I guess it *could* have been listed as one of them there malternatives but like I said it's doing okay for me and I do find it rather refreshing. My bucks wasted on a 6 pack? Nah.

Bitterbill, Jul 26, 2011