Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.01% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Ratings: 1,098 | Reviews: 252

A: pale to medium amber beer in a pint - very brief finger of off-white head left no trace and no lace

S: grapefruit - the fruit not the hop aroma - right up front - was interesting, but also conflicted with the malt and hop aromas

T: its beer with red grapefruit juice in it - take it for what you will - I served it ice cold, as suggested on the label, but I didn't notice any perceptible changes for the better or worse as it warmed

M: thin, crisp, light, sparkly

O: perhaps its just not my cup of tea, and I do enjoy grapefruit juice, and i obviously enjoy beer, but this marriage didn't appeal to me.

3.26/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Fizzy, clear copper.

Smell is a bit worrisome; jarring citrus/lager combination.

Taste is a relief. Crisp and dry. Ginger and grapefruit dominate, malt hard to discern. Pleasant but shallow in spite of multiple flavors.

Imagine a ginger ale shandy, but drier, with a slice of grapefruit. Well-balanced but a little peculiar. Certainly refreshing, though I'd be at a loss what to pair it with.

3.96/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

i used to drink shiner bock a good bit- it was the $2 beer at a bar i used to visit when i was in college. i havnt drank it much since. i tried this shiner ruby redbird expecting it to be super sweet. i was surprised and happy to be wrong.
it pours darker than i expected for a summer seasonal. its a golden pressing toward amber. the smell is heavy on the ginger with a little citrus. the taste is full of ginger with a nice, not overpowering, bitter.
i like this beer a good bit and i am gonna pick up some more of it.

3.42/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Somewhat of an orange-ish tan color, clear, not a lot of head or lacing.

Aroma is pleasant, you can definitely smell the ginger. The grapefruit is less pronounced, but it's probably there in what I would describe as more of a citrusy note. There's a light background of malts as well.

The taste follows the smell pretty nicely. Plenty of ginger, especially on the finish. Citrus notes all the way. Malts are basic but ample. There's not a lot of hops.

Body is light and refreshing, and despite the lackluster appearance, it's amply carbonated.

It's a very pleasant and enjoyable beer. I wouldn't mind having a few of these while messing around in the shed in the back yard on a summer day.

1.47/5  rDev -53.9%

Bottled: unk

Got real excited for this, I love grapefruit raddlers, maybe this can be my summer 2013 beer?!

Pours a copper ale with brilliant clarity and no foam. Smells like sugar, some grapefruit (way too sweet), some pear and a little english malt. Pretty unimpressed so far. Tastes like a hot dog with some artificial sweetener and a little grapefruit - horrible. Thin with moderate carb and an off dry finish. That is a shitty beer.

3.15/5  rDev -1.3%

A: The beer is clear yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high off white head that died down rather quickly, leaving only a thin collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of ginger are present in the nose.
T: The taste is somewhat similar to a mixture of Fresca and ginger ale (with some malts) and has notes of ruby red grapefruit and ginger, the latter of which lingers through the finish. No bitterness is detectable.
M: It feels light-bodied and slightly watery on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This 'beer' is really easy to drink, but it's not interesting enough for me to want more than one of these where I would call it sessionable.

4.04/5  rDev +26.6%

Served on tap at Sam's in Durham. Poured into a DFH pint glass

Pours a light golden color with a very minor head. It has a very pronounced sweet and fruity nose. Very pleasant. The taste is best described as refreshing. Extremely easy to drink. Medium carbonation and a light feel make the drinkability extremely high.

Overall a solid, enjoyable summer beer. Probably my go to beer for the summer. If you dont like this beer, then you dont like summer!

3.5/5  rDev +9.7%

I like grapefruit and I taste it some IPA so when I saw this I had to try it. Its not an IPA but its good. hard to describe, similar to a Weiss Bier and fruity. Better than Shiner Bock. Low alcohol. easy to drink. This is good for a hot humid summer night. I just with the ABV was higher.

3.66/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I don't care what anyone says, this is a pretty good brew. far superior to the original shiner bock, and with a well executed twist of creativity that I find just right for warm weather sessioning. the appearance is nothing special, an understated pale ale color with a moderate but rapidly fading white head and very little visible carbonation. the nose has some fresh ginger and a medium American malt base. there is also some interesting citrus notes coming from this, I cant yet pick it out as grapefruit, but it absolutely smells thirst quenching. the flavor is sharp sweet red tangy grapefruit right up front. really fresh and tasty, with the ginger taking more of the spotlight towards the finish. a very refreshing beer indeed. only mildly acidic from the grapefruit, and very very light in body with dancing carbonation, this is a beer I could drink all day on the boat or at a picnic. its got that summery vie to it without using lemons or lager yeast or any of the usual suspects really. easily the best diner brew ive had, despite its mostly negative feedback here on BA. ill buy this again.

4.35/5  rDev +36.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I CAN hardly CANtain my joy at having found this in the cooler at Bocktown (Robinson) during my recent visit to Da Burgh. The CANQuest (TM) rejoices!

From the CAN: "Summer Seasonal Beer"; "Beer brewed with Texas Ruby Red grapefruit juice and with ginger and natural flavor added"; "Serve ice cold on hot days".

It is hot and humid and my asthma is kicking into high gear today, so this would be the day for it. It is plenty cold, coming right out of my reefer and once the Crack happens, an inverted Glug into my glass. The nose is amazing! The ginger is pungent and the grapefruit only enhances the smell. I got a brief finger of tawny head following the Glug, but the humidity killed it. Mouthfeel was thin and a little watery, but the taste was very gingery, almost tea-like in its mellowness. Finish was really dry and quite refreshing. I would load a cooler with CANs for a day at the beach.

My original Bottle review of 16 Feb 2013:

Local trader, tone77, recently dropped this off for me, along with a buncha others in a mixed case. I always look forward to his CARE packages and I try to reCANpricate as best as I CAN muster between visits.

From the bottle: "The perfect summer brew"; "Summer seasonal ale brewed with Texas Ruby Red grapefruit juice and with ginger and natural flavor added"; "Ginger [-] all natural tropical spice"; "Grapefruit [-] sweet citrus of the Rio Grande Valley"; "Serve ice cold on hot days"; "This crisp, refreshing summer seasonal is brewed with Texas Ruby Red grapefruit juice, the signature citrus of the Rio Grande Valley. Tartness from the grapefruit and a delightful kick from ginger combine for a taste that's perfect for hot summer days. Its deep gold color and full body come from pure Munich malt and Mt. Hood, Citra and Cascade hops balance the flavor well."; "There's nothing finer! Than a summertime Shiner!"

I am always put in mind of the early Hawaiian Punch ads with Punchy, asking the tourist if he'd like a nice Hawaiian Punch. When he responds in the affirmative, Punchy promptly punches him, resulting in a black eye. I cringe in Texas, especially when ogling the Flying Saucer waitstaff and someone asks me, "Hey, pal, how'd you like a Shiner?" I do not follow my instinct and likewise nod in the affirmative and then go into a defensive stance. YMMV.

Did I mention my new student, named "Tawny"? What a great name, and I had a dense finger of tawny head with good retention following my pour. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. The nose was AMAZING - I caught an initial whiff of grapefruit, but then the ginger suddenly hit me in the sinus cavity! I actually sneezed in surprise. I am all for truth in advertising, but this was unexpected. The mouthfeel was medium, but it was abrasive in its flavor as I was basking in the ginger on the tongue. I still think that Clove Life Savers were the best I ever had as a kid and this reminded me of one of them. The tart of the grapefruit seemed to be lost until the swallow and its incredibly dry finish. No wonder this is a summer beer - it was like liquid alum. My throat constricted and I began to gasp for air. This wasn't dry, it was downright arid! Wow. I definitely want one at a more appropriate time of year.

2.71/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Im usually a huge fan of Shiner beer, however this one didn't settle too well with me. I had picked up this beer last summer thinking it might be a good one to quench the horrible Texas summer heat. Turns out I was wrong.

The beer has a nice red tint to it.

The smell is like a large piece of ginger, some grapefruit and a lemon got blended together and was stuck inside the bottle. It smells pretty good but can be a little overwhelming.

The taste is highly acidic for a beer (grapefruit causes this). It's pretty smooth but a bitter after taste.

Overall, id say this one isn't as enjoyable as I'd hoped it be. Nice try though Shiner.

Big thanks goes out to Mississipping and StayWhatYouAre2’s dad for sharing this one at a tasting recently! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured golden yellow with a half finger white head that subsided to none extremely quickly. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, ginger, and rice. The flavor was of sweet malt, ginger, wheat, and fruit. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty bad brew. I was wondering why their dad was laughing as he brought this one out from the garage fridge to share. He even got more of a kick when I went to smell it. This was definitely not what I was looking for when I came to this tasting. The ginger on this one was what made it so bad in my opinion. While I usually like ginger, this one presented it in a way that I did not enjoy at all. Definitely would make a rather amusing prank on someone if you feel the urge, so keep that in mind.

3.23/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with amber hues and a 1/2 inch head. Smell is dominated by grapefruit. Taste is tart, grapefruit, a touch of malt, not terrible but not really my thing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent beer.

2.95/5  rDev -7.5%

Appearance is orange and brown in the glass. Soda pop carbonation that due palates hickory to nothing. Mouthfeel is also somewhat flat. Smell is not remarkable - smells like an ale with a hint of citrus. Grapefruit is present on the taste. It is upfront and provides a semi interesting twist to this beer. Probably it's best feature is the low ABV and sessionable nature. Best for a hot summer day served real cold.

3.59/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint: Transparent light gold with no head.

Smells of grapefruit & ginger (duh, I know, but yeah), lemon, a little tea.

Taste is citrus soda (Fresca, like) with ginger & a light, slightly musty & dry Euro-ish lager taste. Moderately crisp bitter at the end with nice grapefruit peel & ginger aftertaste.

Light-bodied with an assertive dryness & kick from carbonation that's apparently hidden visually. Leave a sort of heavy bristle in aftertaste.

Good summer sipper, & this is my own bias but I'm very into ginger late so that maybe gives it an extra little boost for me right now. Half-soda, half-beer.

3.54/5  rDev +11%

Pours a clear golden with hints of orange. Non-existent head. Nice pickled ginger aroma. Taste begins with a big blast of ginger, followed by a bit of grapefruit sweetness. After that is a little bready maltiness. Very clean, neutral finish. Not bitter at all despite the grapefruit flavor. Mouthfeel is a bit thin. Overall a pretty good beer, light and refreshing.

3.04/5  rDev -4.7%

Let me start off by saying that I'm not a big fan of grapefruit, but my wife is. So, my review of this has this as a starting point. To start off, it had a nice looking color in the glass but not much in the way of head. You can definitely smell the ginger and grapefruit. It's a very interesting conversation. The taste is an interesting mix of grapefruit, ginger, and beer. I can't say that I preferred the taste, but my wife loved it.

2.58/5  rDev -19.1%

A-Pours a cloudy red grapefruit juice color. Head fizzles off to nothing. Actually does look like fruit juice. Doesn't really lace.

S-Ginger ale. Grapefruit too (and not derived from hops) Just grapefruit doused in granulated sugar. The creepy spawn of a Schweppes and Schlitz.

T-Ginger ale with sugary grapefruit. Then an odd yeasty component. Flavors combat one another. The ginger ale is very off putting. Beer?

M-Light but sugary. Plenty of bubbles. Like a soft drink; not surprising.

O/D-Ale brewed with ginger and grapefruit? About $6.75 a six-pack? I guess I'll give her a shot. Bad idea. My girlfriend loved it because it tasted so much like ginger ale. I hated it for the same reason. And boy, when this beer warmed, it really became frightening.

3.93/5  rDev +23.2%

Appearance: I don't love the foam or the lacing. I like the carbonation. I absolutely love the color! It's glowing amber-red-pink, almost radiant, but not unnaturally so.

Smell: Sour/bitter grapefruit. Extremely refreshing.

Taste/Mouthfeel: I have to admit I really liked this. It's amazingly refreshing on a hot summer day in Chicago. It definitely tastes like grapefruit, but doesn't seem artificial (although I don't actually know if this is the case or not). To be fair, the grapefruit does make it fairly one dimensional.

Overall Drinkability: A fruit beer that actually tastes like beer.

3.99/5  rDev +25.1%

To me this is one of the best summer seasonal beers. In my experience the summer seasonal beers can either be way too fruity or a bit lacking in body and flavor. I found this both refreshing and full of flavor.

As weird as grapefruit beer sounded it was just what my taste buds expected. The balance of citrus and bitter taste on my tongue was perfect. Top that off with a hint of ginger and they have me coming back for more. It is a shame that this one can only come once a year.

The color was what I expected from the shiner family. It had a slight hue of red or amber. The head was only 1/8 inch but that could be to to a poor pour on my part.

All in all my favorite summer beer.

2.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 14 oz "pint" glass. Pours a dark straw color with a small white head that dissipates quickly. Smells of very light grain and a little citrus, but not that strong. Tastes of grain with citrus flavoring added, not that great. Beer is very smooth with its light body, but has a little too much carbonation. Overall, a very average beer.

3.12/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours golden with no head and no real lacing.

The smell is of sweet grapefruit and some ginger. There is a slight "beer" smell, but it smells more like a fruity malt drink.

The taste is of sweet grapefruit juice. Grapefruit from the juice, slightly "artificial", certainly not from the hops. There is some dryness from the ginger in the finish.

It is light-bodied and crisp.

If you want a nicely carbonated summer refresher with grapefruit juice and ginger that has some "beer" character it's not a bad choice. It is what it is.

4.22/5  rDev +32.3%

This is my favorite Shiner beer, but I also do like and drink grapefruit juice as well. Despite that fact, I was a bit apprehensive about "beer and grapefruit" but it was quite good. The amount and flavor of grapefruit was just right; not overbearing but enough to tell (without knowing the name) what fruit was included. Will definitely buy this again.

4.79/5  rDev +50.2%

This is my favorite all-time beer. It's really hard to describe-the grapefruit is there, but subtle. The ginger is there-but it's also just right. I don't usually like "fruit-infused" beers at all, and "Blue Moon" is too sweet for me, but this beer is incredible!

I literally almost got into a row over the last 12 pack last fall, when me and this other guy came into the store at the same time, panicked that it was almost gone. We lamented that this beer is seasonal.

3.67/5  rDev +15%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

It appeared as any other summer offering that's not too light.

Didn't have a strong smell, was crisp and light.

The taste reminded me somewhat of a shandy, with grapefruit juice used as opposed to lemonade. Very drinkable.

The mouthfeel, again, reminded me of a shandy. Not filling but very clean, easy to drink down.

It was enjoyable, seems to be a nice compliment to TexMex or other spicy foods. A good beer for a hot summer day.

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner