2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery

Shiner Ruby RedbirdShiner Ruby Redbird

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.01% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011)
View: Beers (22) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 656 | Reviews: 183 | Show All Ratings:
DeFaz

3.29/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Pours a fairly large (for a summer beer) white head that quickly fades and leaves no lacing. I was expecting a bright ruby color, but it really has more of a red tint.

Smell: Pleasant but unremarkable. Grapefruit and ginger.

Taste: Not complex, but still interesting. It's simple and refreshing. You'll taste the grapefruit and ginger. Somewhat dry and somewhat sweet--not spicy, but certainly crisp.

Mouthfeel: Pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Body is typical of a summer beer: somewhat (but not in my opinion too) thin and carbonation is on the high end. This goes down easy and despite being somewhat sweet it's not sticky.

Overall: Look, if the idea of a beer with considerable grapefruit and ginger flavors sounds uninviting, then this probably isn't your best option. For me, as someone who likes ginger and grapefruit, I enjoyed drinking this while acknowledging that it's not complex. It's not the best fruit beer out there, but if you happen to crave both beer and grapefruit on a warm day and are looking for one with only natural flavors, this isn't a bad choice.

07-12-2013 01:36:30 | More by DeFaz
UTCengOwl

3.7/5  rDev +17.5%

Bought some at Central Market after I started a small debate about it on the Southwest forum. Definitely a unique beer and maybe my favorite Shiner beer... though I guess that's not exactly a ringing endorsement. Served in a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

The beer pours a clear solid gold with a white head that dissipates quite quickly. If there was any sort of head whatsoever, I'd really like the looks... but there's not.

The nose is ginger ale. Interesting. Am I really drinking beer? Deeper sniffs reveal fleshy, authentic grapefruit. I don't think I've ever had this fruity of a grapefruit flavor in a beer. I'm not sure that I prefer that, but it sure is interesting.

The taste is also mostly Ginger ale. There's also a good adjunct lager behind that. These flavors flow into that same fleshy grapefruit, which leaves a grapefruity bitterness... which doesn't really call forth hops. Interesting again. I wish they used some of the fruitiness of the hops (mmmm.... Citra), but this is a unique offering.

The mouthfeel is that of a smooth adjunct lager. Highly drinkable. Not over carbonated. This stuff goes down quickly and I've already finished my second in half an hour. Just plain interesting stuff.

04-06-2011 00:28:27 | More by UTCengOwl
drunkboxer1

3.58/5  rDev +13.7%

I guess this is what shiner replaced their Smokehaus (RIP) beer with. Smells quite a bit like grapefruit and a hint of ginger. I disagree with other reviewers on here that say the ginger is overpowering, I think it works fine. It doesn't suffer from the obnoxious sweetness that plagues a lot of the fruity beers I've tried. Fairly refreshing. I will miss the Smokehaus though (~~RIP~~)

05-24-2011 22:30:38 | More by drunkboxer1
MurphyMacManus

3.75/5  rDev +19%

Bottle into pint glass.

A: clear gold with a short-lived white head.

S: Ginger beer, with a vague grapefruit undertone. Judging by the smell alone, this should taste like some sort of sweet soft drink with a strong ginger kick.

T/M: Soft drink mouthfeel -- quite thin, minimal body. Impressive ginger kick that serves to mask some of the grapefruit's bitterness in the finish. Pleasant sweetness up front, most likely from the malt and the grapefruit. (Texas grapefruits are sweet.)

Overall: Does not taste like beer and is quite dangerous in that respect. Though the alcohol content is fairly low, it drinks like a good ginger beer and, thus, can lead to unexpected intoxication. It's great as a thirst quencher and balances ginger bite, sweetness and bitterness well enough to be quite effective as a session beer. Except that 4%ABV is sneaky.

05-30-2011 06:15:45 | More by MurphyMacManus
julian89

Georgia

2.78/5  rDev -11.7%

I've been told that this is an excellent beer to drink cold on a summer afternoon, which is what I did. It's also been considered a good session beer... I can see that.
Poured from bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a yellow orange with a small white head with zero retention. A few bubbles seen rising to the top.

Smell: More ginger than grapefruit. It smells like a ginger ale honestly, with maybe a splash of citrus.

Taste: Man it's exactly like a ginger soda with a little malt and grapefruit thrown in. I can't feel or taste much alcohol at all. It's highly drinkable, but somehow for 4% it doesn't seem like a beer.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Lightly carbonated.

Overall: Definitely more of a girl beer than guy. Light and simple, not bad, but I prefer the traditional bock if I'm going in the Shiner direction.

04-29-2012 01:52:02 | More by julian89
ranger7

3.23/5  rDev +2.5%

A - A clear, light, and bright amber, akin to lighter beers. High carbonation to begin, lessens as you drink. Head is thin and quickly vanishes.

S - About an equal amount ginger and sweet grapefruit aromas, no hint of alcohol.

T - More ginger than grapefruit. The ginger tingles in your mouth first, with a light and tangy grapefruit finish. I'm surprised (and a little disappointed) there isn't more grapefruit flavor here.

M - Definitely one of the more carbonated beers I’ve tasted. Also very gingery, not unlike ginger ale actually.

O - Ruby Redbird is a fairly good at what it does: refresh. If you enjoy a lighter beer on a hot summer day, this is a nice change of pace. Plenty of flavor, but anyone that doesn't care for ginger should steer clear.

05-03-2011 02:13:23 | More by ranger7
TownDunkel

4.03/5  rDev +27.9%

Shiner makes a great product, I may be biased due to it being the beer of Texas.

Appearance - The grapefruit makes the usual shiner look a reddish brown. It matches the taste and expectations well

Smell - It has a decent smell of the usual shiner but I didn't pick up any citrus. If it would have just a little bit more scent to it I would have been very satisfied

Taste - Now this is a summer beer! It is a great lambric style with a shiner front along with the beautiful sour/sweet grapefruit. I never would have thought it would be good mix, but it works well.

Mouthfeel - Superb mouthfeel with the right amount of carbonation with citrus.

Overall - This is my summer beer. I usually do the Shiner 102 or hefeweizen but I have a new daily drinker

05-21-2012 00:47:35 | More by TownDunkel
specksnreds

3.38/5  rDev +7.3%

This is why I try new beers...even when it's Shiner. I really like this beer. I smell and taste more rosemary than grapefruit, but I can pick out the grapefruit. Either flavor is a bit much on the tongue. Golden in color with, as George would say, "...a pinkish hue." Plenty of carbon dioxide, but not much of a head. Zero head, as a matter of fact. Put it in a can, and it'll be my new fishin' beer. Ooooh, I almost forgot, it's got a tangy finish. Genuinely tangy, but not Tang. That would be gross.

05-19-2011 23:10:23 | More by specksnreds
Bierlerner

Oklahoma

3.63/5  rDev +15.2%

A- A pale rusty gold color. Head starts to rise but as quickly as it rises it disappears into nothing. Lots of little bubblies active throughout rest of beer.

S- A faint but very pleasurable aroma of pepper and yeast with kicks of citrus and red grapefruits.

T- Taste is decent. Again with the yeast and pepper, great pepper and grapefruit notes. But, the taste could be a little stronger and more complex. A great small biting bitterness in the finish. But again, taste is almost as faint as the smell.

M- Medium to light body. Tingly mild carbonation.

O- Refreshing summer beer. Pretty decent, I guess. I like the hints of grapefruit throughout.

06-06-2011 22:43:08 | More by Bierlerner
videofrog

2.48/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. No freshness date on bottle.

A: Apple juice. 1/2 finger white head dissipated almost instantly. No carbonation bubbles rising.

S: Ginger and grapefruit. As advertised.

T: Grapefruit bitterness and tartness with a bit of the ginger there, too. Citrus hops are in the background.

M: Thin. Also lacking in carbonation.

O: Not on par with last two Shiner seasonals (Winter Warmer & Dortmunder). I worry that I may have gotten a bad bottle from an HEB make your own 6 pack. But no skunk or oxidation symptoms. I totally missed the Munich malt and the Mt. Hood & Cascade hops mentioned on the back label.

06-19-2011 03:44:38 | More by videofrog
yesferro

Mississippi

1.78/5  rDev -43.5%

Picked up a 6pack at The Smoke Stack in Westpoint MS, I promise I won't hold this beer against them...

Poured a pretty golden color, promising!
Then I smelled it... and I should have stopped right there, soapy ginger smell, kinda like pickled ginger but more unpleasant. Tasted even worse to me, overwhelmingly ginger flavored with a bad almost stale beer undertone. I couldn't get past my 2nd sip. Maybe this is right to its style, if there even is such thing, but it sure isn't for me. I have no clue what I'll do with the remaining 5 bottles, too bad, I like most of their other offerings

04-29-2011 20:33:59 | More by yesferro
Bills453

2.33/5  rDev -26%

Appearance - no head retention whatsoever. Looks a bit watery.

Smell - sweet. Citrus. Very lemony smell!

Taste - unfortunately not much of a taste, and anything I do get isn't very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - average

Overall - I will not have this again.

05-11-2013 21:33:14 | More by Bills453
hdf561

2.76/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Picked this beer up at the local grocery store in a make your own 6 pack...it boasts on the bottle that it is "the perfect summer brew"

Noting very minimal lemon, and some spices with hops in the initial smell, really not very appealing.

Can taste a very small amount of lemon in the first sip but not enough, spices, hops, and carbonation dominate the flavor. This beer is highly carbonated and actually takes a lot away from the taste of the beer, and actually hurt my stomach a little bit.

For a beer claiming to be the perfect summer beer, this one leaves a little to be desired, it is just average or even below average.

07-21-2013 22:17:34 | More by hdf561
scottblaze

3.9/5  rDev +23.8%

I guess I gotta hand it to Spoetzl for doing something a little different. (fondly recollecting the "peachy" Holiday Cheer...I got along with that one okay). This unusual concoction sparked me to stroke a review, the first one in a while.

Worked really hard to get a 1/2" head...very short lived. zero lacing

Redish amber...looks OK. Almost like bourbon in a glass.

Can detect a little lemon and grapefruit in the nose, a little rosemary.

First taste catches me totally off guard... Rosemary! Almost as if I had bitten into a fresh sprig! Was not expecting that..I guess it is the ginger, cascade, grapefruit combo.

A little thin on the mouthfeel

At first, the unusual nature of this struck me as, well, astrigently off the mark. After a couple more, and then a couple more the next day, I am coming to embrace it as a decent summer refresher. On one of those scorching hot summer days, its low alcohol, light bodied, citrusy nature could cause me to beg for more.

EDIT (10/23/11) : After this long long HOT HOT HOT and DRY summer, it seemd that I could not get enough of this one. Ice cold on a hot days straight out of the bottle, went down several 12 packs.

05-08-2011 19:43:32 | More by scottblaze
beerdiablo

2.35/5  rDev -25.4%

This is a love-hate beer and I find myself in the hate camp and surprised to see it still on store shelves.

The body and taste is "watery"/thin -plenty of citrus yet is more like a lager than a radler/shandy. I do enjoy the citrus aspect of hops and like grapefruit -which is showcased in this beer but the flavor comes from the fruit and not the hops in the case of Shiner Ruby Redbird. Perhaps as a Pale ale with grapefruit the beer would be more appealing.

08-12-2013 17:18:48 | More by beerdiablo
LordHammer

2.13/5  rDev -32.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my River Horse glass.

A: Light gold with the faintest hint of pink? Or is that my imagination? Head faded very quickly to nothing.

S: Some sweetness, but the nose is dominated by spice, strangely enough. Just a big ginger smell, maybe a bit of clove. Much more intriguing if this were soda.

T: Bit of sweet malt out front, then a total grapefruit/tart citrus bomb. The ginger is present at the end. Seems to get a little better with each sip, perhaps that's my palate being obliterated?

M: Thin, watery, and highly carbonated. Refreshing? I guess.

O: Hard to call this beer. The fruit and spice flavors are the huge majority of the flavor. I get that it is supposed to be refreshing, but I can't imagine enjoying this no matter how thirsty I was.

EDIT: Based on having a second one out of the bottle whilst hot and sweaty, I've adjusted the scores slightly. Not good, but a bit better.

08-16-2011 23:19:17 | More by LordHammer
kyleelton

1.18/5  rDev -62.5%

Out of a bottle into a pint glass.

I've been on BA for awhile and never written a review, but this time I just couldn't stay silent. I knew this would either be awesome or wretched:

As soon as I poured the glass I knew I was in for trouble. The color was okay, but the head and clarity was very seltzery and the light foam dissipated quickly.

I put the glass to my nose and was hit by a fruity, citrus smell that reminded me of a bad Grocery store Sprite knock-off.

My wife, who usually likes fruitier beers, summed it up fairly well. It tastes like watered down Sprite. You know how after ice has melted and you water down the carbonation as well as the flavor.

Too much carbonation and very watery, despite a very prominent nasty grapefruit aftertaste. I like grapefruit, but this tastes like chemical, over-produced, from concentrate type. Think of Orange Juice vs. Orange Drink.

Overall Impression:
When I last visited Sea World several years back (before I really knew much about beer besides that I did not like BMCs) I went to their Anheuser-Busch beer school and learned that beer is made of barley, water *rice? and hops. I'm a little shocked they still use hops. But that's another story. After the beer school they gave us free samples. They were trying out beer infused with fruit (this was before the BL Lime and Miller Chill crap) and they literally poured a Mich Ultra and mixed it with cherry (or whatever) syrup. It was God-awful. My point is that this beer is the closest thing I've tasted to that, since. It should be noted I've never tried BL lime. I was hoping for a light, slightly fruity nod to the IPA bitterness that can taste grapfruity. As a Texas beer drinker I'm also always in Shiner's corner, morally speaking. But this beer was so bad. So bad.

04-15-2011 00:17:11 | More by kyleelton
OverToad

1.1/5  rDev -65.1%

I had high hopes for this beer. Shiner makes some good beer so I thought what a great idea. Boy was I wrong.

The beer looks nice as you pour it but that's where it stops.

Taste is just horrible. All I taste Is strong ginger ale and no grapefruit.

Mouthful reminds me of the fountain drInks that run out of syrup.

This has to be the worst beer I have ever had and I've had some bad ones.

06-20-2011 13:23:39 | More by OverToad
turfy

1.83/5  rDev -41.9%

Had seen this recently and took a chance on a single for $1.49. Oh well...

A - Poured into a Guinness pint glass. A deep gold color with a fizzy, one finger head that dissapated in 30 seconds. No lacing whatsoever.

S - Reminded me of ginger-ale, which makes sense because of the ginger added to beer. Also a faint resin/grapefruit smell.

T - A sour, tart taste with some hop bitterness. A strange experience for my tasttebuds.

M - Very light with more than adequate carbonation. Not much body at all.

D - Bodywise you could drink a ton of these. Taste-wise, one was more than enough for me.

I could see how a combination of Ruby red grapefruit and ginger could make for a very nice summer beer. I imagined it in a well-made wheat or Kolsch with at least some quality and body to it. But for me, this was not it.

04-01-2011 23:35:01 | More by turfy
AdvocateFan

2.3/5  rDev -27%

Light, just a few steps off from being refreshing/thirst-quenching. Grapefruit is prominent, but not as satisfying as I'd hoped for. Ginger kicks a bit of spice. No alcohol flavor detected. Notes of lemon zest/rind. Spritzy (very highly carbonated.)

Best way to sum this up is "Zima reincarnated." Not kidding. Maybe a touch of Tequiza too... Definitely alcopoppy.

I applaud the brewery's continued efforts to add more beers to their line up. Shiner is a trusted TX brand and these excursions help turn people on to drinking better beer and to not fear exploration. But this one I will not be purchasing again. Can't win 'em all!

05-03-2011 02:53:19 | More by AdvocateFan
Beerwolf666

Maryland

3.45/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I have to Admit it,this took some Major Balls by the brewer..I mean right off the bat, Grapefruit & Beer? Seriously? I mean maybe if it was a California brewer,But TEXAS? they shoot you for this Kind of stuff in Texas dont they? hehe;)
Anyway,Came across this @ my local Beer shop,and since I will try Any Beer Once,I had to check it out,purty cheap too~5 bucks a 6er,so what the Hell!
Now I was Not expecting Much going in,I mean Beer & Grapefruit does not sound that gr8 to me,but I do like a lot of fruit beers,and I dig a good Ginger beer also~
Poured a 12oz Bottle of "Ruby Redbird" into a Pabst Pint Glass~
humm? Looks Kinda Nice Actually,maybe a Ginger ale/Light Lager with a shot of Grenadine..perhaps a strawberry Blondish color more or less.
It Smells Very Nice too,Grapefruit,spicy Ginger,with just a Hint of Malt,No hop odor whatsoever,Citrus Hints..about it.
Taste~Purty damn tasty to be Honest,Very Light and zesty,I get a little Malt taste up front with a Grapefruit/Citrus Mix following,and then a rather nice Ginger Finish,and just like the smell,I really can not detect any Hops @ all.
Now this Beer probably will not win you any Tough Guy Points with your meathead Buddies,or earn you any respect from your Hop Head Friends,who Only Drink IPA's,but I could care less about that kind of crap.
Now I am not saying "Ruby Redbird" is going to take the place of my Favorite summer time beers anytime soon [Flying Dog's woody Creek & Sam Adams Summer Ale] but Hell ya! I think it's a very good choice when you have some Yard work to do,and a soda or lemonade just aint cuttin it,or washing the car,Painting the house..whatever, with a very Low ABV [4.1%] it's a good choice when you want a crisp refreshing VERY Light beer with something off the beatin track..Grapefruit! hehe;)
Cant really think of much Grub this would go with besides Fruit & perhaps some Buttery cheeses..perhaps Guda,Edam & Brie may be ok,though probably best as an "Apertif~Cheers & Peace2All.

09-04-2013 16:50:48 | More by Beerwolf666
oreo

3.7/5  rDev +17.5%

Got this bottle for free today from my beer guy.

Drank straight from the bottle, but poured a bit out to see the color and head.

Poured a nice amber with a short bright white head. Gone within seconds.

Smells pretty neat, lots of grapefruit and ginger. More fruit and citrus than ginger which is good.

Tastes pretty damn good. I can see how they call this the "perfect summer beer" Very light and refreshing. Easily drinkable on a hot summer day. Over the course of the beer, the ginger makes more of an appearance in the taste. Kinda kills all the wonderful grapefruit I had at the beginning.

Very light and crisp mouthfeel, as a summer beer should be.

Overall this is a good beer. Not great, but enough to keep me happy during ahot summer day. Well done shiner!

04-06-2011 00:25:11 | More by oreo
loobear

3.43/5  rDev +8.9%

A - Golden orange body with a spritey head that dissolves quickly.

S - Smells like a malty grapefruit. Slightly sweet, slightly bitter. Interesting.

T - Intense grapefruit on the front, finishes with decent smoothness. Lots of crispness and bite with little harshness. Interesting.

M - I'm yearning for a bit more carbonation. I think that this would make the beer much more enjoyable for me. It has such a smooth finish and plenty of grapefruit character, it seems like the intensity could be lacking in this dept.

O - I've never had a grapefruit beer before. The concept is interesting. Did Shiner deliver? Certainly in flavor. Some areas were lacking IMO, but I did enjoy.

04-19-2011 16:42:37 | More by loobear
alohaspicoli

3.2/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: Sort of a hazy brownish gold color. No head or lacing.

S: Grapefruit, citrus.

T: Bitter but strangely nice and refreshing. Grapefruit is the most prominent w/some citrus.

M: Not much body or carbonation.

O: I'm kind of torn on how to wrap this up. When I break it apart into the above sections nothing really stands out as great, but overall I thought it worked in a weird way. Especially when this beer is served ice cold on a hot, humid, summer day (which was when I tried it). Sort of a polarizing beer, as opinions on it were divided right down the middle at the BBQ I had it at. But I'll definitely pick some up next summer to give it another shot.

10-14-2011 13:25:07 | More by alohaspicoli
justinjj1280

Georgia

2.58/5  rDev -18.1%

Pours an orange/amber, and the head dissipates fairly quickly.

Aroma is very strong on citrus, and the taste follows. It's grapefruit, but tastes more like lemon to me. The acidic citrus flavor and the ginger are just overpowering, and overshadow any other beer flavors that might be there.

This is a confusing beer. It is crisp and refreshing, but just tastes out of balance. If they tweaked the recipe a bit, they might be on to something. For summertime concept fruit beers, I'd go with 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon or Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy. This is not a repeat buy for me, even though I give them credit for creativity.

06-29-2011 03:21:49 | More by justinjj1280