2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery

Shiner Ruby RedbirdShiner Ruby Redbird

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.01% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011)
View: Beers (22) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 657 | Reviews: 183 | Show All Ratings:
BKBassist

2.8/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Summer is a tough season for me with beers. Refreshment is generally not my main reason for drinking beer, flavor is. So summer seasonals, with a few exceptions, usually leave me wanting. Despite trying something different, Shiner Ruby Redbird is no exception.

Appearance was light golden blonde with the tiniest hint of amber/red. Little to no head retention.

Smell was heavy on the ginger with hints of citrus, more lemon than grapefruit. Also a bit of a must I usually associate with a macro lager.

Taste was that of a dry, slightly sweet ginger ale that someone had squeezed a lemon wedge in. There was very little hint that you were drinking a beer and not a slightly alcoholic ginger ale. Grapefruit was nowhere to be found.

Mouthfeel was light and heavily carbonated with tiny bubbles.

Overall, while it tasted fine, it did not taste like beer. Shiner attempted to do something pretty interesting here, and while a crisp lager with notes of ginger and grapefruit still appeals to me, this unfortunately, is not that beer.

06-18-2013 00:15:34 | More by BKBassist
TucsonTom

Arizona

2.25/5  rDev -28.6%

I wanted to like this beer, really I did.

I like Citra hops, and right there on the back label is says Citra, Cascade and Mt. Hood are used; all excellent. So, I'm thinking: "Ruby red grapefruit with Citra ... what a wonderful, tangy combination!" Then there's the 4% ABV, which is right up the alley I've been walking lately: beers with 5% ABV or less. And to cap it off, Shiner's stuff is often on sale for $4.99 a sixer.

But I should have gone to the Shiner website before my purchase. The Ruby Redbird webpage says nothing about the hops used, AND THE IBUS ARE ONLY 13. THIRTEEN?? What'd you do, Spoetzl, pass an open baggie of hops over the kettle like you do with Vermouth when making a super-dry martini? I found little hop presence, as a 13 IBU wound suggest. But why promote hops on the label when their contribution to smell and taste are hardly noticeable?

The color is actually very nice; looks like filtered apply juice. I did find the grapefruit and ginger in the smell and taste ... BUT NO DARN HOPS! It was also about as flat as apple juice; no carbonation to speak of.

The more I think of it, the more I think the mention of any hops at all on the back label is deceptive advertising. Either fix the beer with more hops, Spoetzl, or print up some new labels that promote this beer for what it really is: a grapefruit/ginger beer.

04-14-2014 00:22:46 | More by TucsonTom
BrandonWardlaw

4.1/5  rDev +30.2%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: A very light amber. Pours with a very tiny head that dissipates instantly.

Smell: Frankly, it's bizarre. Not in a bad way, but definitely not a conventional beer whatsoever. The ginger and the grapefruit hit you in the nose right away, and that's all I'm getting out of it.

Taste: Again, bizarre, but in the best of ways. Has a very crisp, gingery bite, which mellows quickly. Finishes with a slight tanginess, and a bit of bitterness at the rear of the palate from the grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light. Moderately carbonated. Extremely drinkable.

Overall: This ain't your normal glass of beer. It's pretty out there, and definitely the most adventurous Shiner brew that I've ever had. It's nice to have a citrusy beer that doesn't taste like chemicals and failure (Bud Light Lime, anyone?) The bottle brags that it's the "Perfect Summer Beer", and it might be right. I think it would also pair pretty well with asian or asian fusion dishes. It would be especially good with sushi. I'm sure a lot of BeerAdvocate users are going to give this beer poor reviews ("WHY DOES IT NOT REEK OF HOPS?!?!?", they'll scream), because they seem to love rating beers without regard for their intended drinking context. But if you're looking for an unpretentious, unusual session beer - give this a shot.

03-29-2011 21:13:44 | More by BrandonWardlaw
brother_rat

3.31/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I had this on draught over at Hill Country in midtown last week, and I was able to get a 6-pack of it this weekend for a grilling party where I was able to review it. I poured a bottle into a regular pint glass.

A: Pours a nice bright hazy golden, with a tinge of redness--almost a light, strawberry blonde coloration. Not bad. The beer was highly carbonated and it showed, and there was a one-finger head of big bubbles that quickly went down. Nice and translucent. No lacing. 2.75

S: Nothing spectacular: you do pick up a bit of the bright citrus notes and the spice upon opening, although the crisp grapefruit and spice/ginger flavors that come through very strong in tasting are very muted. The scent does not linger. 2.5

T: Actually quite tasty and refreshing: the grapefruit hits you over the head, and the spice is also very pronounced. You can pick up ginger, but also some other blend (allspice? nutmeg?), and the grapefruit flavors does tend to fade into a general citrus and green brightness as the beer sits. It's very light but not insubstantial, and it all leads to a nice tart/sour flavor that reminded me slightly of a spiced-up Berliner Weisse. Very light on the hops, and very light on the malt also; I have to say that had I not seen that red grapefruit was being used (noted on the bottle), I would have thought white grapefruit. 3.5

M: Very carbonated, which I don't usually like--but it seemed to open up the bright flavors. Had the feel of a spiced Fresca soda, which on a very hot day (outside, grilling) worked very well and was very refreshing. 3.5

O: To me, this is a perfect example of a situational beer--and really, that's all you can expect from any sort of seasonal, let alone a summer seasonal. I found the beer very pleasant for a hot day out by the grill--it's tart and refreshing, the hint of spice went fine with our meats and grilled veggies, and the very light character went down really well. With the nice bright tartness, I didn't miss the hops or malt one bit. As long as you keep your beer cold (the experience went downhill considerably as my beer warmed up), it's a great light choice with some character. For any other day but a hot summer day, I'd give it somewhere in the high 2s, but for a hot summer day it got the job done and then some: 3.75.

06-24-2013 15:50:37 | More by brother_rat
moosemoose

Oklahoma

3.53/5  rDev +12.1%

Bottle into pint glass

A: Golden orange. Very bubbly. One finger head dissipates within a minute.

S: Notes of juniper and lemongrass over grapefruit and small amounts of citrus.

T: A bit watery. Ginger. I can't taste the grapefruit as much as others, I suppose. Lemon with a hint of mint.

M: Very crisp and refreshing. Light body. Highly carbonated.

O: Drink one (or two) after mowing your lawn.

06-14-2011 03:52:19 | More by moosemoose
lwootton

4.1/5  rDev +30.2%

Poured into a St. Arnolds Pint Glass.

Appearance: Dark golden with a straw colored head that dissipated quickly.

Smell: Dominated by ginger, very much like ginger ale soda with earthy malt tones underneath.

Taste: A moderate ginger taste supplemented by the characteristic Shiner earthy malt taste, with a tart aftertaste added by the grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated, not particularly distinctive.

Overall: This would be a great session beer for me. I love the taste, it's refreshing, and it's crisp. It would be nice if it had a bit more complexity but overall I enjoyed it very much.

04-27-2011 01:30:09 | More by lwootton
titusgroan

4.25/5  rDev +34.9%

I... Like... this... beer! and i did NOT think i would! GO SHINER!!! I love SB and the black and some of the others but when my wife brought this home i was beyond skeptical - flash back to smokearse... i mean smokehaus... but it was a sorta hot day... i was ready for cold beer so... and the cute little label was so inviting. so i poured one in a cold glass - no much head, some bubbles nice gold color. but the smell was quite nice - i walked outside... the grapefruit and ginger were there and the hops too... somewhere back there... i walked out in the yard... the wind blew the trees around... kids where yelling... my neighbor was mowing. i downed a redbird and got another - and another... next day we had some friends over. we chilled out back and knocked back some redbirds... it was a good day... its gonna be a nice long summer... thanks shiner. its about DAMN time... this beer is unique- the grapefruit and ginger are up front but not overpowering - very tart and almost dry but very refreshing when its hot and humid... best ice cold. it is not sweet at all - i hate sweet beer but this is not sweet at all. i love to slosh it around in the glass it bubbles up and goes crazy - also lets that grapefruit smell out...

have not tried with food yet - i bet it would be great with pho!

i love ipa etc but this is something different and i'm so glad shiner did it. totally makes up for the smokehaus! i knew you had it in you shiner - now keep it up - GO CRAZY!!!

05-01-2011 05:03:24 | More by titusgroan
DuncanIdaho86

3.75/5  rDev +19%

This new seasonal from shiner cut the heat like A lightsaber. Even though most any frosty cold beer will cool you down on a hot summers day, The Ruby Rerbird did it with style.

I poured right into the pint glass, and though I was expecting a deep, sanguine red ale (on account of the name), I was surprised to see a hazy, rustic yellow ale. Either way it smelled fantastic, biting at my senses with that ginger aroma. Whooo-eee! If anything, the ginger kick dominates the grapefruit addition - but its still there. The fruity notes are undeniably there on the palette.

Good mouth feel, if not a little fizzy right? Better try a second to be absolutely sure.

07-01-2011 17:01:22 | More by DuncanIdaho86
drewy813

3.6/5  rDev +14.3%

12 fl oz bottle poured into a weizen glass

A: Apple juice color. Lots of fizzy head that dissipates in seconds. Less head then a soda. Bubbles of CO2 remind me of champagne.

S: Honestly, nice smell. Sweet ginger and then the bite of grapefruit. No 'beer' smell really.

T: Taste is nice too. Citrus taste with ginger hints. Slightly sweet. Not too sweet though.

M: Drinks like a sticky soda.

Drinkability is average. I could drink 2 maybe 3, but I wouldn't finish off the 6-pack.

05-28-2011 03:18:25 | More by drewy813
leagr

Missouri

3.25/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

My father-in-law brought me most of a 12-pack of this beer. In all honesty, that was a red flag for me. i wondered if he had a couple, realized it wasn't that great, and wasn't broken-hearted to part with it. After he told me grapefruit, I was a bit skeptical, but kept an open-mind, and I have to say, I enjoy this beer alright.

A: Pale, light golden color; transparent; looks a bit like a cider; absolutely no head or lacing

S: fragrant ginger but not too over the top, slight citrus undertones

T: sweet and tart balanced with spice and bitterness

M: light in body; very little carbonation; perfect i think for a hot, muggy day

O/D: This beer may not be for everyone, but it's an interesting and I think enjoyable combination of grapefruit and ginger. Better than expected.

06-10-2011 01:00:10 | More by leagr
Travix1516

3.1/5  rDev -1.6%

This was a decent beer. It had a strong grapefruit smell which is to be expected from a beer that hinges the flavor profile on the fruit. It often reminded me of Shiner's Hefeweizen, but that may have been due to the citrus notes. It was refreshing on a hot day and I would have it again, but I don't really see myself buying a six pack of it. Not great, not bad. A decent beer.

07-04-2011 01:56:04 | More by Travix1516
wejohnsn

3.5/5  rDev +11.1%

I like grapefruit and I taste it some IPA so when I saw this I had to try it. Its not an IPA but its good. hard to describe, similar to a Weiss Bier and fruity. Better than Shiner Bock. Low alcohol. easy to drink. This is good for a hot humid summer night. I just with the ABV was higher.

04-09-2013 23:12:23 | More by wejohnsn
DerbeerSlug

2.98/5  rDev -5.4%

Let me start off by saying that I'm not a big fan of grapefruit, but my wife is. So, my review of this has this as a starting point. To start off, it had a nice looking color in the glass but not much in the way of head. You can definitely smell the ginger and grapefruit. It's a very interesting conversation. The taste is an interesting mix of grapefruit, ginger, and beer. I can't say that I preferred the taste, but my wife loved it.

09-12-2012 15:55:33 | More by DerbeerSlug
blacktieman

Tennessee

3.29/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Fizzy, clear copper.

Smell is a bit worrisome; jarring citrus/lager combination.

Taste is a relief. Crisp and dry. Ginger and grapefruit dominate, malt hard to discern. Pleasant but shallow in spite of multiple flavors.

Imagine a ginger ale shandy, but drier, with a slice of grapefruit. Well-balanced but a little peculiar. Certainly refreshing, though I'd be at a loss what to pair it with.

05-07-2013 06:38:30 | More by blacktieman
ChrisAceGates

3.7/5  rDev +17.5%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

It appeared as any other summer offering that's not too light.

Didn't have a strong smell, was crisp and light.

The taste reminded me somewhat of a shandy, with grapefruit juice used as opposed to lemonade. Very drinkable.

The mouthfeel, again, reminded me of a shandy. Not filling but very clean, easy to drink down.

It was enjoyable, seems to be a nice compliment to TexMex or other spicy foods. A good beer for a hot summer day.

08-09-2012 15:33:20 | More by ChrisAceGates
razordm

4.25/5  rDev +34.9%

This is my favorite Shiner beer, but I also do like and drink grapefruit juice as well. Despite that fact, I was a bit apprehensive about "beer and grapefruit" but it was quite good. The amount and flavor of grapefruit was just right; not overbearing but enough to tell (without knowing the name) what fruit was included. Will definitely buy this again.

08-26-2012 22:25:55 | More by razordm
dalygnus

Maryland

3.83/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: golden reddish pour -- head quickly dissipates, no lacing -- l like some head and lacing so this was a sore spot for my tastes
Smell: fruity as expected, no problem
Taste: l liked it a lot -- the grapefruit and carbonation resembled a Fresca, my fave soda
Mouthfeel: ok, very drinkable due to carbonation and low alcohol content
Overall: done in by no head. Sam Adams Summer Ale still the summer beer of choice

07-13-2013 21:40:35 | More by dalygnus
Klassicchris

Tennessee

2.2/5  rDev -30.2%

Strong smell of grapefruit and ginger. Called the perfect summer beer but I have had many that were better. I generally prefer dark beer and reds but this red didn't work. Taste was unpleasant and fruit overpowered the beer. Bad aftertaste. Prefer regular Shiner to this. Not for me and I like just about any beer..

04-26-2011 01:26:26 | More by Klassicchris
Ghohn

3.48/5  rDev +10.5%

Had tied this at the local beer grotto. Ended up getting it a lot over the summer at the house as it FLEW out of the fridge.

Admittedly, my wife is a fan of flavored beers. Not me. But this was different. Not a foo foo beer at all. The best our neighborhood could come up with is that it is the perfect summer beer. Light in taste. Crisp citrus finish then a hint of grapefruit. Not overpowering, but a tease.

A hard beer to get/keep in Ft. Lauderdale with good reason!

12-13-2011 00:00:49 | More by Ghohn
GorillaMedic

3.54/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

What can I say? This epitomizes summer for me. A tasty, utterly refreshing seasonal brew that is light on its feet and refreshing when outside working or playing.

The grapefruit flavor is very evident in both the aroma and the taste and sets this apart from most citrusy summer brews—the grapefruit is very forward, very real and natural tasting, and if you like it (I do) very tasty.

This beer is pretty heavily carbonated; I feel like this makes it more refreshing and less of a complex, interesting drink.

This is my go-to summer-evening-outdoors beverage.

06-29-2013 00:28:54 | More by GorillaMedic
y0crystal

Maryland

3.18/5  rDev +1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice finish.

Its not too sweet, not to fruity. The grapefruit is there but its not too strong, the ginger is slightly watered down. The smell is there more than anything.

its a good summer beer from what I've had, grant it I haven't had too many grapefruit beers. Overall, I enjoyed it.

04-23-2011 02:48:19 | More by y0crystal
krazycure

4.03/5  rDev +27.9%

This is the first time I've ever seen this in stores, I wonder if I've just missed it the past few years or if it's really that new? Anyway, I had to try it, being a big fan of regular shiner and their bohemian black. It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect, I read other people's reviews that said the ginger is overwhelming, not for me, it's barely there. The grapefruit comes through the most, and honestly it's hard to tell this is a beer. It's quite refreshing and the ABV is low enough that the citrus tastes pretty much drowns tasting any alcohol. The only thing about this beer that isn't superb is the aftertaste... grapefruit always did have an odd aftertaste and it comes through in this. You know the pine-y aftertaste you get from a really deep IPA? Have you ever tried grapefruit seed extract? It's pretty similar. This beer has a pretty heavy, not particularly pleasant aftertaste. It's not horrible, but it caught me off guard. Overall, I like it, it's something new and different and definitely fits the season.

05-01-2011 04:06:50 | More by krazycure
RandyWood

2.55/5  rDev -19%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A-Amber/Gold, almost no head and what head is there dissipates quickly with no lacing.

S-Grapefruit/Ginger. It kinda reminds me of lemon lime Alka Seltzer.

T-Citrus/Ginger. Similar to Zima.

M-Dry with good carbonation.

O-If your are really hot and thirsty, you can pound these like water. Good beer for cutting grass. The fruity taste may appeal to women.

04-28-2012 01:02:51 | More by RandyWood
jeffack

3.48/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: pale yellow-orange. Hardly any head.

As one other reviewer has said, this smelled like ginger ale.

It tasted like less-sweet ginger ale. Not much bitterness to speak of. I got the grapefruit flavor, but only because I was looking for it. As a grapefruit lover, I wish there had been more; it certainly could have helped balance the very-sweet flavor.

This is the first gingery-beer I've had, and I think I liked the idea of it more than the result; I'd rather it be a little more beer and less ginger-ale; mixing this 50-50 with a good wheat beer might result in a pretty good product.

Overall, it was a nice change and decent summer brew.

07-19-2012 22:40:05 | More by jeffack
Pgstarr

3.4/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Good light summer beer. Has a nice grapefruit undertones. Nothing spectacular but good for what it is. I keep it out by the pool to enjoy on hot summer days in Houston. It is a bit thin, but part of the summer beer appeal. I drink it straight from the bottle so I can not comment on color or head.

08-07-2012 19:27:58 | More by Pgstarr