Join our email list →

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Reviews: 251 | Hads: 1,187
3.42/5  rDev +9.6%

L: dark gold in color. Small white head that did not last, has no lacing.

S: can smell the grapefruit and a hint of ginger. Has a very clean smell.

T: grapefruit hits you first and then the ginger sneaks in on the finish with a small bite

F: light carbonation leads to a dry tartness from the grapefruit

O: I like this but am not sure if it would be a beer I would grab if I had some other choice. The bottle said to drink ice cold but as I let it warm the favors started to pop better.

3.72/5  rDev +19.2%

Bottle into pint glass.

A: clear gold with a short-lived white head.

S: Ginger beer, with a vague grapefruit undertone. Judging by the smell alone, this should taste like some sort of sweet soft drink with a strong ginger kick.

T/M: Soft drink mouthfeel -- quite thin, minimal body. Impressive ginger kick that serves to mask some of the grapefruit's bitterness in the finish. Pleasant sweetness up front, most likely from the malt and the grapefruit. (Texas grapefruits are sweet.)

Overall: Does not taste like beer and is quite dangerous in that respect. Though the alcohol content is fairly low, it drinks like a good ginger beer and, thus, can lead to unexpected intoxication. It's great as a thirst quencher and balances ginger bite, sweetness and bitterness well enough to be quite effective as a session beer. Except that 4%ABV is sneaky.

3.63/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours clear copper bronze with little head, smells predominantly of ginger slight yeast and crackery malt, tastes of bright ginger slight bitterness up front with a sweetness and citrusy finish, light mouthfeel, dry crisp finish.

3.52/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The perfect light, fruity summer beer for a hot day floating the river in Texas. Remember the Alamo, and remember to drink this beer in 100 degree heat.

2.8/5  rDev -10.3%

I've been told that this is an excellent beer to drink cold on a summer afternoon, which is what I did. It's also been considered a good session beer... I can see that.
Poured from bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a yellow orange with a small white head with zero retention. A few bubbles seen rising to the top.

Smell: More ginger than grapefruit. It smells like a ginger ale honestly, with maybe a splash of citrus.

Taste: Man it's exactly like a ginger soda with a little malt and grapefruit thrown in. I can't feel or taste much alcohol at all. It's highly drinkable, but somehow for 4% it doesn't seem like a beer.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Lightly carbonated.

Overall: Definitely more of a girl beer than guy. Light and simple, not bad, but I prefer the traditional bock if I'm going in the Shiner direction.

3.64/5  rDev +16.7%

A- A pale rusty gold color. Head starts to rise but as quickly as it rises it disappears into nothing. Lots of little bubblies active throughout rest of beer.

S- A faint but very pleasurable aroma of pepper and yeast with kicks of citrus and red grapefruits.

T- Taste is decent. Again with the yeast and pepper, great pepper and grapefruit notes. But, the taste could be a little stronger and more complex. A great small biting bitterness in the finish. But again, taste is almost as faint as the smell.

M- Medium to light body. Tingly mild carbonation.

O- Refreshing summer beer. Pretty decent, I guess. I like the hints of grapefruit throughout.

2.15/5  rDev -31.1%

I should've known better. Why did I buy a six pack? I could barely finish it. It's not a terrible summer beer, but Im not sure I wouldn't prefer a PBR on a hot summer day. I know I would if I'm buying.

3.96/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

what an interesting color for a beer was happy to see this on tap the person next to me drying it and it looked like a sparkling wine

this aroma smells just like a citrus fruit but underneath that there is that beer smell if that makes any sense

I drank two of them and I'm glad I did it was almost like a breakfast drink I will have more if I see it

3.96/5  rDev +26.9%

Shiner makes a great product, I may be biased due to it being the beer of Texas.

Appearance - The grapefruit makes the usual shiner look a reddish brown. It matches the taste and expectations well

Smell - It has a decent smell of the usual shiner but I didn't pick up any citrus. If it would have just a little bit more scent to it I would have been very satisfied

Taste - Now this is a summer beer! It is a great lambric style with a shiner front along with the beautiful sour/sweet grapefruit. I never would have thought it would be good mix, but it works well.

Mouthfeel - Superb mouthfeel with the right amount of carbonation with citrus.

Overall - This is my summer beer. I usually do the Shiner 102 or hefeweizen but I have a new daily drinker

2.66/5  rDev -14.7%

Nice ruby-tinted amber color, but very little head.
Not much aroma to speak of.
Definite ginger flavor coming off the first sip. Little to no grapefruit flavor or feel despite the name sake.
Suggests it is best when served ice cold. Mildly refreshing at ice cold, but there are more refreshing beers with a lot more to offer.
Overall it doesn't do much well apart from color.

2.77/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Picked this beer up at the local grocery store in a make your own 6 pack...it boasts on the bottle that it is "the perfect summer brew"

Noting very minimal lemon, and some spices with hops in the initial smell, really not very appealing.

Can taste a very small amount of lemon in the first sip but not enough, spices, hops, and carbonation dominate the flavor. This beer is highly carbonated and actually takes a lot away from the taste of the beer, and actually hurt my stomach a little bit.

For a beer claiming to be the perfect summer beer, this one leaves a little to be desired, it is just average or even below average.

4.29/5  rDev +37.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I generally like your basic beers and ales, nothing extreme and I usually don't like beers with nontraditional ingredients like fruits and spices ... but this is the one that's the exception. The grapefruit and ginger aroma and taste is distinctive but not overwhelming. It balances well with this beer's other qualities. A very nice change of pace. I like it a lot.

1.85/5  rDev -40.7%

Had seen this recently and took a chance on a single for $1.49. Oh well...

A - Poured into a Guinness pint glass. A deep gold color with a fizzy, one finger head that dissapated in 30 seconds. No lacing whatsoever.

S - Reminded me of ginger-ale, which makes sense because of the ginger added to beer. Also a faint resin/grapefruit smell.

T - A sour, tart taste with some hop bitterness. A strange experience for my tasttebuds.

M - Very light with more than adequate carbonation. Not much body at all.

D - Bodywise you could drink a ton of these. Taste-wise, one was more than enough for me.

I could see how a combination of Ruby red grapefruit and ginger could make for a very nice summer beer. I imagined it in a well-made wheat or Kolsch with at least some quality and body to it. But for me, this was not it.

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

I like grapefruit and I taste it some IPA so when I saw this I had to try it. Its not an IPA but its good. hard to describe, similar to a Weiss Bier and fruity. Better than Shiner Bock. Low alcohol. easy to drink. This is good for a hot humid summer night. I just with the ABV was higher.

2.37/5  rDev -24%

Appearance - no head retention whatsoever. Looks a bit watery.

Smell - sweet. Citrus. Very lemony smell!

Taste - unfortunately not much of a taste, and anything I do get isn't very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - average

Overall - I will not have this again.

3.35/5  rDev +7.4%

This is why I try new beers...even when it's Shiner. I really like this beer. I smell and taste more rosemary than grapefruit, but I can pick out the grapefruit. Either flavor is a bit much on the tongue. Golden in color with, as George would say, "...a pinkish hue." Plenty of carbon dioxide, but not much of a head. Zero head, as a matter of fact. Put it in a can, and it'll be my new fishin' beer. Ooooh, I almost forgot, it's got a tangy finish. Genuinely tangy, but not Tang. That would be gross.

4.5/5  rDev +44.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

This is one of my favorite summer beers. I love Shiner and I absolutely love ruby red grapefruit from the Rio Grande Valley. To me, this is a great combination coupled with some brisket and/or a day on the lake.

3.27/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I had this on draught over at Hill Country in midtown last week, and I was able to get a 6-pack of it this weekend for a grilling party where I was able to review it. I poured a bottle into a regular pint glass.

A: Pours a nice bright hazy golden, with a tinge of redness--almost a light, strawberry blonde coloration. Not bad. The beer was highly carbonated and it showed, and there was a one-finger head of big bubbles that quickly went down. Nice and translucent. No lacing. 2.75

S: Nothing spectacular: you do pick up a bit of the bright citrus notes and the spice upon opening, although the crisp grapefruit and spice/ginger flavors that come through very strong in tasting are very muted. The scent does not linger. 2.5

T: Actually quite tasty and refreshing: the grapefruit hits you over the head, and the spice is also very pronounced. You can pick up ginger, but also some other blend (allspice? nutmeg?), and the grapefruit flavors does tend to fade into a general citrus and green brightness as the beer sits. It's very light but not insubstantial, and it all leads to a nice tart/sour flavor that reminded me slightly of a spiced-up Berliner Weisse. Very light on the hops, and very light on the malt also; I have to say that had I not seen that red grapefruit was being used (noted on the bottle), I would have thought white grapefruit. 3.5

M: Very carbonated, which I don't usually like--but it seemed to open up the bright flavors. Had the feel of a spiced Fresca soda, which on a very hot day (outside, grilling) worked very well and was very refreshing. 3.5

O: To me, this is a perfect example of a situational beer--and really, that's all you can expect from any sort of seasonal, let alone a summer seasonal. I found the beer very pleasant for a hot day out by the grill--it's tart and refreshing, the hint of spice went fine with our meats and grilled veggies, and the very light character went down really well. With the nice bright tartness, I didn't miss the hops or malt one bit. As long as you keep your beer cold (the experience went downhill considerably as my beer warmed up), it's a great light choice with some character. For any other day but a hot summer day, I'd give it somewhere in the high 2s, but for a hot summer day it got the job done and then some: 3.75.

1.8/5  rDev -42.3%

Picked up a 6pack at The Smoke Stack in Westpoint MS, I promise I won't hold this beer against them...

Poured a pretty golden color, promising!
Then I smelled it... and I should have stopped right there, soapy ginger smell, kinda like pickled ginger but more unpleasant. Tasted even worse to me, overwhelmingly ginger flavored with a bad almost stale beer undertone. I couldn't get past my 2nd sip. Maybe this is right to its style, if there even is such thing, but it sure isn't for me. I have no clue what I'll do with the remaining 5 bottles, too bad, I like most of their other offerings

3.9/5  rDev +25%

I guess I gotta hand it to Spoetzl for doing something a little different. (fondly recollecting the "peachy" Holiday Cheer...I got along with that one okay). This unusual concoction sparked me to stroke a review, the first one in a while.

Worked really hard to get a 1/2" head...very short lived. zero lacing

Redish amber...looks OK. Almost like bourbon in a glass.

Can detect a little lemon and grapefruit in the nose, a little rosemary.

First taste catches me totally off guard... Rosemary! Almost as if I had bitten into a fresh sprig! Was not expecting that..I guess it is the ginger, cascade, grapefruit combo.

A little thin on the mouthfeel

At first, the unusual nature of this struck me as, well, astrigently off the mark. After a couple more, and then a couple more the next day, I am coming to embrace it as a decent summer refresher. On one of those scorching hot summer days, its low alcohol, light bodied, citrusy nature could cause me to beg for more.

EDIT (10/23/11) : After this long long HOT HOT HOT and DRY summer, it seemd that I could not get enough of this one. Ice cold on a hot days straight out of the bottle, went down several 12 packs.

3.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

24oz bottles -- buy 2 get one free Shiner promotion at the local Publix Jupiter,Fl.,, including their wheat "belgian" (i doubt it)
served around 65° , has good carbonation ,nose light malt, citrus nose,
yea ginger is in here a little on the finish
The finish is actually of coriander when beer warmed up some.
I know what citra and similar hops taste like, not citra hops, more like the citrus pulp residue left over from juicing citrus in the beer.
Sam Adams and Oregon brewer's successfully use citra hops, but not in this beer.
I have made ale with citra,cascade hops naaa

burrrrpppp

ah yes good for chili like a few suggested good for cooking..not overwhelming however
I dont mind adding my own citrus such as lime in an iced beer when making Michelados on a hot day, this would make a good Michelados.

Having been out to Fredericksburg,kerrville and sampled the local ales, a Munich ale it isn't claims full body Munich ale .. no.
Served cold it's ok not awfull, just ok.

Pretty Lite beer for a German style, well to serve the yuppie larvae all i can figure. Need some good barley malted ales here cut back on the rice and corn malts and you'll have a winner.

3.52/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I was expecting another shandy type offering but this is way more interesting.

a: nothing too special, thin head.

s: really, really gorgeous. Grapefruit and ginger on top of a mellow toasty smell.

t: not sweet. It's beer, not a cooler or a shandy. There's ginger but it doesn't taste like ginger ale, and there's grapefruit but it doesn't taste like a cocktail. No one particular flavour is really dominant, but it all blends really well.

m: fizzy and refreshing.

o: I bought one of these out of a singles bin and then went back for a twelve-pack. Really well done and more interesting than a lot of the other seasonals.

3.18/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Best thing about this is its color. Gorgeous ruby red with tiny tiny head. Zero lacing. Actually tastes quite nice, fruity. Grapefruit and citrus notes predominate. Great for beach or hot summer day when you want something light and cold.

2.4/5  rDev -23.1%

This is a love-hate beer and I find myself in the hate camp and surprised to see it still on store shelves.

The body and taste is "watery"/thin -plenty of citrus yet is more like a lager than a radler/shandy. I do enjoy the citrus aspect of hops and like grapefruit -which is showcased in this beer but the flavor comes from the fruit and not the hops in the case of Shiner Ruby Redbird. Perhaps as a Pale ale with grapefruit the beer would be more appealing.

3.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Has a very floral and fruity note to it. Appearance is clear golden as expected. Grapefruit bitterness once you taste and that kinda ruins the feel. I know some folks like it so I gave it a decent review to help others along.

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner