Microbrew Invitational

Availability: Summer

Added by wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Reviews: 261 | Ratings: 1,215
3.48/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear, pale-gold. One finger of frothy white head that dissipates to nothing rather quickly, almost like I was pouring a soda. No lacing whatsoever.

Smell: Smells a lot like ginger-ale, so I'm definitely picking up the ginger that the beer advertises. Some grapefruit rind in the background, but I'm not getting any of a grapefruit aroma.

Taste: Tastes a little like ginger ale, too. More bitter grapefruit flavors in the taste than in the smell. Bare hints of malt linger for quite a while, reminding me that this is a beer. There is a bitterness on the end, but it's hard to tell if it's from the ginger/grapefruit rind or from the hops. All that being said, this is a fruit/vegetable beer, advertised as being a summer beer, and in that sense, it succeeds. The ginger and grapefruit are both noticeable, though I would like to see a stronger flavor of both.

Mouthfeel: There's an initial fizzy bite with each sip, but the rest of each sip seems flat. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing with this beer, however, as it makes it easier to drink.

Overall: I think this is one of those beers where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. This is a different, enjoyable summer beer, very refreshing after a hot day. While I think the grapefruit and ginger flavors could be more pronounced, I enjoyed this.

3.46/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: pours out a clear, dark straw color with a thin white head that faded quickly. carbonation racing up the glass. It looks a lot like carbonated apple juice.

S: i get a lot of citrus in the nose. smells like grapefruit and lime. I also get a good amount of ginger, and some straw aromas. there is a sweetness in the aroma as well. i actually like the aroma.

T: i get quite a bit of ginger at first, and then it goes into a grapefruit flavor, and finishes bitter like a grapefruit. it needs a little more malt flavor i feel. it almost tastes like carbonated water, but at the same time i sort of like it.

M: thin and very carbonated.

O: overall i think this is a pretty good beer. it would be perfect for lounging at the pool here in phoenix. This is intended as a summer seasonal, and i think it fits that pretty well. It is thin and refreshing. i dont think i would buy this at the bar, but i would buy a six pack for my next pool party.

2.05/5  rDev -33.9%

Ruby Redbird

Served in New Belgium globe glass

A: Pours clear pale amber with a fizzy head that fizzles out immediately. Very good effervescence.

S: Smells like I cracked open a Vernor's. Beyond the ginger ale, I find no additional aromas.

T: No beer in taste, either. Grapefruit peels to ginger ale then medium bitterness and something like stewed vegetables. Bone dry. Finish is thin and faded ginger and grapefruit bitterness.

M: Light body and bright carbonation. Fizzy and crisp mouthfeel.

O: After a couple of drinks of Ruby Redbird, I thought to myself, "Are Texans really drinking this shit?" Honestly, the smell of freshly grated is such a tease when you follow it up with this beer. Gimmicky, one-trick pony.

1.98/5  rDev -36.1%

I knew this beer would suck as soon as I heard Shiner had released it. Honestly, I don't wish to bash a Texan brewery but this beer is so God awful that bashing is deserved. Whoever thought it was a good idea to brew this beer needs to be tarred and feathered, at least. "The perfect summer beer," my ass!

Now, the Ruby Redbird doesn't look too too bad...if it was a ginger ale, because that's what it looks like. When a beer looks like a soda and sounds like it when you pour it out it's never a good sign. It has a sort of deep orange color, clear, and the head is overly bubbly. Wait, check that. It's fizzy and recedes quickly and completely. The head is gone before you know it.

How does it smell? It smells awful. I almost didn't drink it because it smelled so bad. Have you ever smelled bathroom cleaner? Well, this smells like grapefruit-smelling cleaner. It doesn't smell natural at all.

As my friend said, it tastes like the sweaty asshole of an illegal migrant worker. Now, I don't know how my friend knows what that tastes like, but if it's an accurate description of the Ruby Redbird then I'll be steering clear of sexual encounters with illegal migrant workers. Hell, I've worked with (possibly) illegal migrant workers and I bet everything I own they'd spit this beer out after tasting it, claiming it to be some evil gringo poison. And I would agree with them. But seriously, all tastes like a soda with grapefruit flavoring. Ginger adds shittiness to the end, not complexity.

It has a light...fizzy body. The carbonation is more like a soda than a beer, as I've emphasized already. I can't really tell if it's drinkable or not because it tastes so bad.

DON'T GET THIS BEER! If this was the last beer on Earth I'd refuse it. Thankfully I chose not to finish the whole thing.

3.42/5  rDev +10.3%

L: dark gold in color. Small white head that did not last, has no lacing.

S: can smell the grapefruit and a hint of ginger. Has a very clean smell.

T: grapefruit hits you first and then the ginger sneaks in on the finish with a small bite

F: light carbonation leads to a dry tartness from the grapefruit

O: I like this but am not sure if it would be a beer I would grab if I had some other choice. The bottle said to drink ice cold but as I let it warm the favors started to pop better.

3.58/5  rDev +15.5%

I guess this is what shiner replaced their Smokehaus (RIP) beer with. Smells quite a bit like grapefruit and a hint of ginger. I disagree with other reviewers on here that say the ginger is overpowering, I think it works fine. It doesn't suffer from the obnoxious sweetness that plagues a lot of the fruity beers I've tried. Fairly refreshing. I will miss the Smokehaus though (~~RIP~~)

3.5/5  rDev +12.9%

A - Poured a very small head that dissapated quickly. Otherwise has a very nice clear, reddish amber color. Carbonation level looks good.

S - mostly pick up the ginger, the grapefruit juice is also present. Otherwise just enough yeast/hops/malts to tell its a beer. Doesn't smell like beer but still smells pretty good.

T - it's not beer, but it's good. Reminds me very much of reeds ginger beer. The ginger is the most noticeable, with fruity undertones and a slight cereal grain flavor that let's you know it's still a beer.

M - not overly carbonated, good for what it is, less than a ginger ale which is good here.

O - this is something I picked up in a cheap make your own six pack at the grocery store just to give it a try. Honestly I thought it was just a summer seasonal from shiner and didn't see the grapefruit and ginger part of the label, and probably wouldn't have tried it if I had. I'm actually glad I did. Don't get me wrong, by my standards this isn't beer, which makes rating it here kind of difficult, but I gave it a decent rating because whatever it is, it's pretty good. I mentioned reeds ginger beer, which I really like, and this really reminds me of it. Very refreshing after a hot day. I would probably buy this again if I was in the mood for something a little different.

3.63/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours clear copper bronze with little head, smells predominantly of ginger slight yeast and crackery malt, tastes of bright ginger slight bitterness up front with a sweetness and citrusy finish, light mouthfeel, dry crisp finish.

3.72/5  rDev +20%

Bottle into pint glass.

A: clear gold with a short-lived white head.

S: Ginger beer, with a vague grapefruit undertone. Judging by the smell alone, this should taste like some sort of sweet soft drink with a strong ginger kick.

T/M: Soft drink mouthfeel -- quite thin, minimal body. Impressive ginger kick that serves to mask some of the grapefruit's bitterness in the finish. Pleasant sweetness up front, most likely from the malt and the grapefruit. (Texas grapefruits are sweet.)

Overall: Does not taste like beer and is quite dangerous in that respect. Though the alcohol content is fairly low, it drinks like a good ginger beer and, thus, can lead to unexpected intoxication. It's great as a thirst quencher and balances ginger bite, sweetness and bitterness well enough to be quite effective as a session beer. Except that 4%ABV is sneaky.

3.52/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The perfect light, fruity summer beer for a hot day floating the river in Texas. Remember the Alamo, and remember to drink this beer in 100 degree heat.

2.8/5  rDev -9.7%

I've been told that this is an excellent beer to drink cold on a summer afternoon, which is what I did. It's also been considered a good session beer... I can see that.
Poured from bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a yellow orange with a small white head with zero retention. A few bubbles seen rising to the top.

Smell: More ginger than grapefruit. It smells like a ginger ale honestly, with maybe a splash of citrus.

Taste: Man it's exactly like a ginger soda with a little malt and grapefruit thrown in. I can't feel or taste much alcohol at all. It's highly drinkable, but somehow for 4% it doesn't seem like a beer.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Lightly carbonated.

Overall: Definitely more of a girl beer than guy. Light and simple, not bad, but I prefer the traditional bock if I'm going in the Shiner direction.

3.64/5  rDev +17.4%

A- A pale rusty gold color. Head starts to rise but as quickly as it rises it disappears into nothing. Lots of little bubblies active throughout rest of beer.

S- A faint but very pleasurable aroma of pepper and yeast with kicks of citrus and red grapefruits.

T- Taste is decent. Again with the yeast and pepper, great pepper and grapefruit notes. But, the taste could be a little stronger and more complex. A great small biting bitterness in the finish. But again, taste is almost as faint as the smell.

M- Medium to light body. Tingly mild carbonation.

O- Refreshing summer beer. Pretty decent, I guess. I like the hints of grapefruit throughout.

2.15/5  rDev -30.6%

I should've known better. Why did I buy a six pack? I could barely finish it. It's not a terrible summer beer, but Im not sure I wouldn't prefer a PBR on a hot summer day. I know I would if I'm buying.

2.77/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Picked this beer up at the local grocery store in a make your own 6 pack...it boasts on the bottle that it is "the perfect summer brew"

Noting very minimal lemon, and some spices with hops in the initial smell, really not very appealing.

Can taste a very small amount of lemon in the first sip but not enough, spices, hops, and carbonation dominate the flavor. This beer is highly carbonated and actually takes a lot away from the taste of the beer, and actually hurt my stomach a little bit.

For a beer claiming to be the perfect summer beer, this one leaves a little to be desired, it is just average or even below average.

3.5/5  rDev +12.9%

I like grapefruit and I taste it some IPA so when I saw this I had to try it. Its not an IPA but its good. hard to describe, similar to a Weiss Bier and fruity. Better than Shiner Bock. Low alcohol. easy to drink. This is good for a hot humid summer night. I just with the ABV was higher.

3.96/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

what an interesting color for a beer was happy to see this on tap the person next to me drying it and it looked like a sparkling wine

this aroma smells just like a citrus fruit but underneath that there is that beer smell if that makes any sense

I drank two of them and I'm glad I did it was almost like a breakfast drink I will have more if I see it

3.96/5  rDev +27.7%

Shiner makes a great product, I may be biased due to it being the beer of Texas.

Appearance - The grapefruit makes the usual shiner look a reddish brown. It matches the taste and expectations well

Smell - It has a decent smell of the usual shiner but I didn't pick up any citrus. If it would have just a little bit more scent to it I would have been very satisfied

Taste - Now this is a summer beer! It is a great lambric style with a shiner front along with the beautiful sour/sweet grapefruit. I never would have thought it would be good mix, but it works well.

Mouthfeel - Superb mouthfeel with the right amount of carbonation with citrus.

Overall - This is my summer beer. I usually do the Shiner 102 or hefeweizen but I have a new daily drinker

2.66/5  rDev -14.2%

Nice ruby-tinted amber color, but very little head.
Not much aroma to speak of.
Definite ginger flavor coming off the first sip. Little to no grapefruit flavor or feel despite the name sake.
Suggests it is best when served ice cold. Mildly refreshing at ice cold, but there are more refreshing beers with a lot more to offer.
Overall it doesn't do much well apart from color.

4.29/5  rDev +38.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I generally like your basic beers and ales, nothing extreme and I usually don't like beers with nontraditional ingredients like fruits and spices ... but this is the one that's the exception. The grapefruit and ginger aroma and taste is distinctive but not overwhelming. It balances well with this beer's other qualities. A very nice change of pace. I like it a lot.

4.5/5  rDev +45.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

This is one of my favorite summer beers. I love Shiner and I absolutely love ruby red grapefruit from the Rio Grande Valley. To me, this is a great combination coupled with some brisket and/or a day on the lake.

1.85/5  rDev -40.3%

Had seen this recently and took a chance on a single for $1.49. Oh well...

A - Poured into a Guinness pint glass. A deep gold color with a fizzy, one finger head that dissapated in 30 seconds. No lacing whatsoever.

S - Reminded me of ginger-ale, which makes sense because of the ginger added to beer. Also a faint resin/grapefruit smell.

T - A sour, tart taste with some hop bitterness. A strange experience for my tasttebuds.

M - Very light with more than adequate carbonation. Not much body at all.

D - Bodywise you could drink a ton of these. Taste-wise, one was more than enough for me.

I could see how a combination of Ruby red grapefruit and ginger could make for a very nice summer beer. I imagined it in a well-made wheat or Kolsch with at least some quality and body to it. But for me, this was not it.

2.37/5  rDev -23.5%

Appearance - no head retention whatsoever. Looks a bit watery.

Smell - sweet. Citrus. Very lemony smell!

Taste - unfortunately not much of a taste, and anything I do get isn't very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - average

Overall - I will not have this again.

3.35/5  rDev +8.1%

This is why I try new beers...even when it's Shiner. I really like this beer. I smell and taste more rosemary than grapefruit, but I can pick out the grapefruit. Either flavor is a bit much on the tongue. Golden in color with, as George would say, "...a pinkish hue." Plenty of carbon dioxide, but not much of a head. Zero head, as a matter of fact. Put it in a can, and it'll be my new fishin' beer. Ooooh, I almost forgot, it's got a tangy finish. Genuinely tangy, but not Tang. That would be gross.

3.27/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I had this on draught over at Hill Country in midtown last week, and I was able to get a 6-pack of it this weekend for a grilling party where I was able to review it. I poured a bottle into a regular pint glass.

A: Pours a nice bright hazy golden, with a tinge of redness--almost a light, strawberry blonde coloration. Not bad. The beer was highly carbonated and it showed, and there was a one-finger head of big bubbles that quickly went down. Nice and translucent. No lacing. 2.75

S: Nothing spectacular: you do pick up a bit of the bright citrus notes and the spice upon opening, although the crisp grapefruit and spice/ginger flavors that come through very strong in tasting are very muted. The scent does not linger. 2.5

T: Actually quite tasty and refreshing: the grapefruit hits you over the head, and the spice is also very pronounced. You can pick up ginger, but also some other blend (allspice? nutmeg?), and the grapefruit flavors does tend to fade into a general citrus and green brightness as the beer sits. It's very light but not insubstantial, and it all leads to a nice tart/sour flavor that reminded me slightly of a spiced-up Berliner Weisse. Very light on the hops, and very light on the malt also; I have to say that had I not seen that red grapefruit was being used (noted on the bottle), I would have thought white grapefruit. 3.5

M: Very carbonated, which I don't usually like--but it seemed to open up the bright flavors. Had the feel of a spiced Fresca soda, which on a very hot day (outside, grilling) worked very well and was very refreshing. 3.5

O: To me, this is a perfect example of a situational beer--and really, that's all you can expect from any sort of seasonal, let alone a summer seasonal. I found the beer very pleasant for a hot day out by the grill--it's tart and refreshing, the hint of spice went fine with our meats and grilled veggies, and the very light character went down really well. With the nice bright tartness, I didn't miss the hops or malt one bit. As long as you keep your beer cold (the experience went downhill considerably as my beer warmed up), it's a great light choice with some character. For any other day but a hot summer day, I'd give it somewhere in the high 2s, but for a hot summer day it got the job done and then some: 3.75.

1.8/5  rDev -41.9%

Picked up a 6pack at The Smoke Stack in Westpoint MS, I promise I won't hold this beer against them...

Poured a pretty golden color, promising!
Then I smelled it... and I should have stopped right there, soapy ginger smell, kinda like pickled ginger but more unpleasant. Tasted even worse to me, overwhelmingly ginger flavored with a bad almost stale beer undertone. I couldn't get past my 2nd sip. Maybe this is right to its style, if there even is such thing, but it sure isn't for me. I have no clue what I'll do with the remaining 5 bottles, too bad, I like most of their other offerings

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner