Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Reviews: 246 | Hads: 1,160
3.6/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

You need to like Grapefruit to enjoy this beer
Its a bit sweet as well, all in all a good grab for a hot day

it pours light to medium gold with a grapefruit citrus hitting you in the face, the hops are lacking like others have commented. The key here is the grapefruit and effervescent quality. So if your looking for an enjoyable summer beer you have one

2.33/5  rDev -25.1%

Light, just a few steps off from being refreshing/thirst-quenching. Grapefruit is prominent, but not as satisfying as I'd hoped for. Ginger kicks a bit of spice. No alcohol flavor detected. Notes of lemon zest/rind. Spritzy (very highly carbonated.)

Best way to sum this up is "Zima reincarnated." Not kidding. Maybe a touch of Tequiza too... Definitely alcopoppy.

I applaud the brewery's continued efforts to add more beers to their line up. Shiner is a trusted TX brand and these excursions help turn people on to drinking better beer and to not fear exploration. But this one I will not be purchasing again. Can't win 'em all!

4.21/5  rDev +35.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

The first thing I tasted was the ginger, which I liked because I like spicy. But it overpowers the grapefruit and the tart. It does have a grapefruit aftertaste. The spice enhances the carbonation. The color was a light amber and the head was very light.

4.5/5  rDev +44.7%

This is a brew that many will rate poorly based on their personal preference, as opposed to how well it was done within it's style. I'm not a huge Shiner fan nor am I a fruit beer person, but in my opinion, they hit the nail right on the head with this one.

The beer pours with a thin fizzy soda like head which vanishes seconds later. Right off the bat you are hit hard with ginger and citrus on the nose. It almost smells like some sort of fresh ginger cocktail. The initial flavor is smooth and on the sweet side, but the sweetness quickly fades as it hits the sides and back of the tongue where it becomes dry and crisp. The ginger is present from start to finish, and that juicy red grapefruit comes through perfectly in the finish. It's light bodied and so juicy, but it isn't a sweet fruit beer by any means. To me it makes a perfect substitute for juice with breakfast, or as a refreshing alternative to a cider on a hot day. This is a wonderfully crafted unique brew that serves it's intended purpose perfectly.

3.66/5  rDev +17.7%

Got this bottle for free today from my beer guy.

Drank straight from the bottle, but poured a bit out to see the color and head.

Poured a nice amber with a short bright white head. Gone within seconds.

Smells pretty neat, lots of grapefruit and ginger. More fruit and citrus than ginger which is good.

Tastes pretty damn good. I can see how they call this the "perfect summer beer" Very light and refreshing. Easily drinkable on a hot summer day. Over the course of the beer, the ginger makes more of an appearance in the taste. Kinda kills all the wonderful grapefruit I had at the beginning.

Very light and crisp mouthfeel, as a summer beer should be.

Overall this is a good beer. Not great, but enough to keep me happy during ahot summer day. Well done shiner!

3.44/5  rDev +10.6%

A - Golden orange body with a spritey head that dissolves quickly.

S - Smells like a malty grapefruit. Slightly sweet, slightly bitter. Interesting.

T - Intense grapefruit on the front, finishes with decent smoothness. Lots of crispness and bite with little harshness. Interesting.

M - I'm yearning for a bit more carbonation. I think that this would make the beer much more enjoyable for me. It has such a smooth finish and plenty of grapefruit character, it seems like the intensity could be lacking in this dept.

O - I've never had a grapefruit beer before. The concept is interesting. Did Shiner deliver? Certainly in flavor. Some areas were lacking IMO, but I did enjoy.

3.17/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: Sort of a hazy brownish gold color. No head or lacing.

S: Grapefruit, citrus.

T: Bitter but strangely nice and refreshing. Grapefruit is the most prominent w/some citrus.

M: Not much body or carbonation.

O: I'm kind of torn on how to wrap this up. When I break it apart into the above sections nothing really stands out as great, but overall I thought it worked in a weird way. Especially when this beer is served ice cold on a hot, humid, summer day (which was when I tried it). Sort of a polarizing beer, as opinions on it were divided right down the middle at the BBQ I had it at. But I'll definitely pick some up next summer to give it another shot.

2.28/5  rDev -26.7%

I wanted to like this beer, really I did.

I like Citra hops, and right there on the back label is says Citra, Cascade and Mt. Hood are used; all excellent. So, I'm thinking: "Ruby red grapefruit with Citra ... what a wonderful, tangy combination!" Then there's the 4% ABV, which is right up the alley I've been walking lately: beers with 5% ABV or less. And to cap it off, Shiner's stuff is often on sale for $4.99 a sixer.

But I should have gone to the Shiner website before my purchase. The Ruby Redbird webpage says nothing about the hops used, AND THE IBUS ARE ONLY 13. THIRTEEN?? What'd you do, Spoetzl, pass an open baggie of hops over the kettle like you do with Vermouth when making a super-dry martini? I found little hop presence, as a 13 IBU wound suggest. But why promote hops on the label when their contribution to smell and taste are hardly noticeable?

The color is actually very nice; looks like filtered apply juice. I did find the grapefruit and ginger in the smell and taste ... BUT NO DARN HOPS! It was also about as flat as apple juice; no carbonation to speak of.

The more I think of it, the more I think the mention of any hops at all on the back label is deceptive advertising. Either fix the beer with more hops, Spoetzl, or print up some new labels that promote this beer for what it really is: a grapefruit/ginger beer.

2.58/5  rDev -17%

Pours an orange/amber, and the head dissipates fairly quickly.

Aroma is very strong on citrus, and the taste follows. It's grapefruit, but tastes more like lemon to me. The acidic citrus flavor and the ginger are just overpowering, and overshadow any other beer flavors that might be there.

This is a confusing beer. It is crisp and refreshing, but just tastes out of balance. If they tweaked the recipe a bit, they might be on to something. For summertime concept fruit beers, I'd go with 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon or Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy. This is not a repeat buy for me, even though I give them credit for creativity.

3.56/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Understanding that the Shiner Brand isn't really a craft maker, they do offer a few beers that are worth a try and plus its a great local favorite for us Texans.

When poured in a Pint Glass:
The color is an amber with plenty of bubbles. The head fizzes out rather quickly. The taste holds obvious hints of the citrus fruit added. It goes down smooth and is a great summer refresher.

2.85/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

This is a pretty good ginger beer, and a pretty lacking grapefruit beer. My partner tore through the six pack on a hot day when I was out, but the one I had was marginal - nice, not offensive, but utterly absent the grapefruit flavor I was looking for when I bought it.

A nice 'it's really hot out' beer, but I don't know if that saves it - I really do think I'm being hung up on the grapefruit on the label; but, then, I wouldn't have bought it just for the ginger.

4.12/5  rDev +32.5%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: A very light amber. Pours with a very tiny head that dissipates instantly.

Smell: Frankly, it's bizarre. Not in a bad way, but definitely not a conventional beer whatsoever. The ginger and the grapefruit hit you in the nose right away, and that's all I'm getting out of it.

Taste: Again, bizarre, but in the best of ways. Has a very crisp, gingery bite, which mellows quickly. Finishes with a slight tanginess, and a bit of bitterness at the rear of the palate from the grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light. Moderately carbonated. Extremely drinkable.

Overall: This ain't your normal glass of beer. It's pretty out there, and definitely the most adventurous Shiner brew that I've ever had. It's nice to have a citrusy beer that doesn't taste like chemicals and failure (Bud Light Lime, anyone?) The bottle brags that it's the "Perfect Summer Beer", and it might be right. I think it would also pair pretty well with asian or asian fusion dishes. It would be especially good with sushi. I'm sure a lot of BeerAdvocate users are going to give this beer poor reviews ("WHY DOES IT NOT REEK OF HOPS?!?!?", they'll scream), because they seem to love rating beers without regard for their intended drinking context. But if you're looking for an unpretentious, unusual session beer - give this a shot.

4.23/5  rDev +36%

I... Like... this... beer! and i did NOT think i would! GO SHINER!!! I love SB and the black and some of the others but when my wife brought this home i was beyond skeptical - flash back to smokearse... i mean smokehaus... but it was a sorta hot day... i was ready for cold beer so... and the cute little label was so inviting. so i poured one in a cold glass - no much head, some bubbles nice gold color. but the smell was quite nice - i walked outside... the grapefruit and ginger were there and the hops too... somewhere back there... i walked out in the yard... the wind blew the trees around... kids where yelling... my neighbor was mowing. i downed a redbird and got another - and another... next day we had some friends over. we chilled out back and knocked back some redbirds... it was a good day... its gonna be a nice long summer... thanks shiner. its about DAMN time... this beer is unique- the grapefruit and ginger are up front but not overpowering - very tart and almost dry but very refreshing when its hot and humid... best ice cold. it is not sweet at all - i hate sweet beer but this is not sweet at all. i love to slosh it around in the glass it bubbles up and goes crazy - also lets that grapefruit smell out...

have not tried with food yet - i bet it would be great with pho!

i love ipa etc but this is something different and i'm so glad shiner did it. totally makes up for the smokehaus! i knew you had it in you shiner - now keep it up - GO CRAZY!!!

3.47/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: pale yellow-orange. Hardly any head.

As one other reviewer has said, this smelled like ginger ale.

It tasted like less-sweet ginger ale. Not much bitterness to speak of. I got the grapefruit flavor, but only because I was looking for it. As a grapefruit lover, I wish there had been more; it certainly could have helped balance the very-sweet flavor.

This is the first gingery-beer I've had, and I think I liked the idea of it more than the result; I'd rather it be a little more beer and less ginger-ale; mixing this 50-50 with a good wheat beer might result in a pretty good product.

Overall, it was a nice change and decent summer brew.

3.54/5  rDev +13.8%

Bottle into pint glass

A: Golden orange. Very bubbly. One finger head dissipates within a minute.

S: Notes of juniper and lemongrass over grapefruit and small amounts of citrus.

T: A bit watery. Ginger. I can't taste the grapefruit as much as others, I suppose. Lemon with a hint of mint.

M: Very crisp and refreshing. Light body. Highly carbonated.

O: Drink one (or two) after mowing your lawn.

3.99/5  rDev +28.3%

To me this is one of the best summer seasonal beers. In my experience the summer seasonal beers can either be way too fruity or a bit lacking in body and flavor. I found this both refreshing and full of flavor.

As weird as grapefruit beer sounded it was just what my taste buds expected. The balance of citrus and bitter taste on my tongue was perfect. Top that off with a hint of ginger and they have me coming back for more. It is a shame that this one can only come once a year.

The color was what I expected from the shiner family. It had a slight hue of red or amber. The head was only 1/8 inch but that could be to to a poor pour on my part.

All in all my favorite summer beer.

3.58/5  rDev +15.1%

12 fl oz bottle poured into a weizen glass

A: Apple juice color. Lots of fizzy head that dissipates in seconds. Less head then a soda. Bubbles of CO2 remind me of champagne.

S: Honestly, nice smell. Sweet ginger and then the bite of grapefruit. No 'beer' smell really.

T: Taste is nice too. Citrus taste with ginger hints. Slightly sweet. Not too sweet though.

M: Drinks like a sticky soda.

Drinkability is average. I could drink 2 maybe 3, but I wouldn't finish off the 6-pack.

4.11/5  rDev +32.2%

Poured into a St. Arnolds Pint Glass.

Appearance: Dark golden with a straw colored head that dissipated quickly.

Smell: Dominated by ginger, very much like ginger ale soda with earthy malt tones underneath.

Taste: A moderate ginger taste supplemented by the characteristic Shiner earthy malt taste, with a tart aftertaste added by the grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated, not particularly distinctive.

Overall: This would be a great session beer for me. I love the taste, it's refreshing, and it's crisp. It would be nice if it had a bit more complexity but overall I enjoyed it very much.

3.72/5  rDev +19.6%

This new seasonal from shiner cut the heat like A lightsaber. Even though most any frosty cold beer will cool you down on a hot summers day, The Ruby Rerbird did it with style.

I poured right into the pint glass, and though I was expecting a deep, sanguine red ale (on account of the name), I was surprised to see a hazy, rustic yellow ale. Either way it smelled fantastic, biting at my senses with that ginger aroma. Whooo-eee! If anything, the ginger kick dominates the grapefruit addition - but its still there. The fruity notes are undeniably there on the palette.

Good mouth feel, if not a little fizzy right? Better try a second to be absolutely sure.

2.71/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Im usually a huge fan of Shiner beer, however this one didn't settle too well with me. I had picked up this beer last summer thinking it might be a good one to quench the horrible Texas summer heat. Turns out I was wrong.

The beer has a nice red tint to it.

The smell is like a large piece of ginger, some grapefruit and a lemon got blended together and was stuck inside the bottle. It smells pretty good but can be a little overwhelming.

The taste is highly acidic for a beer (grapefruit causes this). It's pretty smooth but a bitter after taste.

Overall, id say this one isn't as enjoyable as I'd hoped it be. Nice try though Shiner.

4.22/5  rDev +35.7%

This is my favorite Shiner beer, but I also do like and drink grapefruit juice as well. Despite that fact, I was a bit apprehensive about "beer and grapefruit" but it was quite good. The amount and flavor of grapefruit was just right; not overbearing but enough to tell (without knowing the name) what fruit was included. Will definitely buy this again.

3.04/5  rDev -2.3%

Let me start off by saying that I'm not a big fan of grapefruit, but my wife is. So, my review of this has this as a starting point. To start off, it had a nice looking color in the glass but not much in the way of head. You can definitely smell the ginger and grapefruit. It's a very interesting conversation. The taste is an interesting mix of grapefruit, ginger, and beer. I can't say that I preferred the taste, but my wife loved it.

3.89/5  rDev +25.1%

Here in South Texas where today the heat index will be above 100 again, this is a great beer to have after sweating. It's relatively low alcohol (4.75%) so you can drink a few of them without getting too intoxicated. It is a very dry and tart beer so it is not for everyone. This has to be served very cold, I have not yet let it grow warm so I'm not sure what it would taste like but I doubt it would improve with a higher temperature. I eat grapefruit often so I love this beer.

3.26/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Fizzy, clear copper.

Smell is a bit worrisome; jarring citrus/lager combination.

Taste is a relief. Crisp and dry. Ginger and grapefruit dominate, malt hard to discern. Pleasant but shallow in spite of multiple flavors.

Imagine a ginger ale shandy, but drier, with a slice of grapefruit. Well-balanced but a little peculiar. Certainly refreshing, though I'd be at a loss what to pair it with.

3.51/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

What can I say? This epitomizes summer for me. A tasty, utterly refreshing seasonal brew that is light on its feet and refreshing when outside working or playing.

The grapefruit flavor is very evident in both the aroma and the taste and sets this apart from most citrusy summer brews—the grapefruit is very forward, very real and natural tasting, and if you like it (I do) very tasty.

This beer is pretty heavily carbonated; I feel like this makes it more refreshing and less of a complex, interesting drink.

This is my go-to summer-evening-outdoors beverage.

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner