Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last
Reviews: 236 | Hads: 1,127
3.4/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Good light summer beer. Has a nice grapefruit undertones. Nothing spectacular but good for what it is. I keep it out by the pool to enjoy on hot summer days in Houston. It is a bit thin, but part of the summer beer appeal. I drink it straight from the bottle so I can not comment on color or head. (297 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +51%

I've been rapidly tasting craft beers for a few years and this is by far my favorite summer ale.. Grapefruit is f*&%ing disgusting but I was completely blown away by this fantastic beer. Very crisp light enough to drink a ton of em on a full stomach AND plenty of flavor.. This beer is not sissy although it is light. Reminds me of water skiing, the beach, the pool and grilled food. GANGSTA! (392 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12 oz amber bottle poured into glass mug. Could not locate a manufacturing date on bottle.

A – Clear & golden-red in color. The head only lasted during the pour - the carbonation hissed and ultimately left behind no head or lacing. Some bubbling observed.

S – Mild citrus peel aroma, subtle spiciness. Smell is mild and does not
linger. Nothing unpleasant.

T – Initially I am hit with mild citrus fruitiness - grapefruit and perhaps strawberries (neither sweetness nor tartness dominates). The ginger flavor is less intense than a ginger ale. Hard to notice other flavors. A slight fruity aftertaste - almost no bitterness.

M – A little watery at first, but the carbonation is enough to produce foam to tickle the tongue.

O - An easy, pleasant and simple beer. The overall flavor profile is not robust enough for my liking, but is still refreshing. (871 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -45.2%

I had this on Tap and in a bottle to make sure the first one wasn't spoiled or tainted. This beer is a decent amber color and smells like grapefruit and ginger. Not sweet Grapefruit and spicy ginger, but more like the essential oils used for perfumes. It tastes just like it smells, perfume and beer. I guess I give it points for the style and trying something new, but this is one of the worst beers I have ever had in my life. Not for me. (440 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -28.2%

I'd heard mixed reviews of this beer from folks around town and needless to say the almost bi-polar reviews on here intrigued me. Like another reviewer before me, I've never actually written a review on BA for anything, but felt that I should chime in on this one.

A: Poured into a pint glass straight down the middle looking for a head to really release the aroma. About a 1/2 finger head was present for a few seconds before quickly dissipating. Has a nice amber color and visible carbonation.

S: Fresca. No joke. You get a nose full of citrus-y grapefruit which I think it just amped up by the ginger.

T: The first thing I noticed about this beer as it hit the tongue was the carbonation. Next you get a mouthful of grapefruit and citrus notes. Mild, mild hops are present but are just blown away by the grapefruit. Leaves a bitter citrus aftertaste on the back of the tongue.

M: Light and heavy carbonation. Like drinking a 7-Up or Fresca.

O: I'm not sure where I stand on this one. Compared to other "fruit beers" such as Dogfish Head Aprihop or Magic Hat #9, this is falls terribly short. I wouldn't put it in the same flavor category as a Lambic due to how watered down this would taste in comparison.

The closest comparison I can think of would be Miller 64 with a slice ruby red grapefruit added. Very drinkable, but worth it?

Opinions are mixed though. Some people really love it, and some like myself feel let down. All in all, I'd at least say give it a try and reach your own opinion. (1,504 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -40.4%

I actually like beers with fruits brewed in them, but this just wasn't for me. The ginger side of things was a little strange. I feel it was too light for my taste. Seemed thin although it has flavor. The alcohol content is very low for a Shiner beer as well.

Overall I'm not very impressed, but to some that enjoy their beers brewed with fruit, it could be acceptable. (370 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +25.6%

Basically it has a light taste of ginger, fresh grapefruit, lemongrass and other citrus characteristics.It all comes together perfectly.To be honest with y'all,look at all the reviews on tap.Not many huh...but there aren't any bad ones.Where as the bottle has horrible reviews mixed in with OK(& great ones scattered around). Sounds like with the bottle of this beer sometimes there is too much carbonation and off tap that problem has not come up at Bombay bar.I have a 32oz bottle of this in my fridge right now but I'm leaving this review for the "tap" because it's simply better and every connoisseur "knows this".In my opinion if you thought it tasted like "bad soda" then I recommend you look up a bar in your area and ask if they have it on tap,guarantee that shit won't happen to you again. (798 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +53.5%

This is my favorite all-time beer. It's really hard to describe-the grapefruit is there, but subtle. The ginger is there-but it's also just right. I don't usually like "fruit-infused" beers at all, and "Blue Moon" is too sweet for me, but this beer is incredible!

I literally almost got into a row over the last 12 pack last fall, when me and this other guy came into the store at the same time, panicked that it was almost gone. We lamented that this beer is seasonal. (470 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +36.2%

This really is the perfect summer beer. I found myself googling the 2013 in stores date in the winter. This is my favorite beer and if you have not had it yet then you are missing out. Most bars and grocery stores have it available from March - September so pick some up if you haven't already (293 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +39.4%

Not a huge Shiner fan but i love this beer despite that most reviews here are not favorable. It's a specific beer for a specific time of year (i.e. on a hot summer day). I find it incredibly light and refreshing. A perfect beer for a hot summers day. (250 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -7.7%

It tastes like Ginger ale with a hint of grapefruit juice. Not bad for someone who doesn't really like that hoppy beer taste but wants something summery. I had this mid July with chicken wings, I'd say that's the best pairing for this beer. Nothing to write home about but refreshing with a light dinner. (304 characters)

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last