Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery

3.16/5  rDev -0.6%

2.75/5  rDev -13.5%

2.25/5  rDev -29.2%

3.1/5  rDev -2.5%

This was a decent beer. It had a strong grapefruit smell which is to be expected from a beer that hinges the flavor profile on the fruit. It often reminded me of Shiner's Hefeweizen, but that may have been due to the citrus notes. It was refreshing on a hot day and I would have it again, but I don't really see myself buying a six pack of it. Not great, not bad. A decent beer.

3.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Has a very floral and fruity note to it. Appearance is clear golden as expected. Grapefruit bitterness once you taste and that kinda ruins the feel. I know some folks like it so I gave it a decent review to help others along.

2.79/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours a clear deep gold producing 1 finger of rapidly diminishing, slightly off-white, champagne-like head that leaves not a hint of lacing. Aroma is remarkably reminiscent of Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale with hints of grapefruit, caramel, lemon/lime & grain in that order. Taste is overwhelmingly ginger (more Canada Dry-like in the mouth) with hints of grapefruit, lemon-lime, caramel & mineral water. Finishes thin & lemon-lime citrusy with a ginger, peppery spiciness. Aftertaste is a shortlived, low level citrus, mineral in a thin bitterness before fading to an afterthought. Mouthfeel is light bodied, thin, watery with lively carbonation, dry, spicy & prickly. I must confess that my rating is based on personal prefence & not on parameters & merits within the style as I not sure that I have ever had a representative of the style that I liked and would drink again.

2.13/5  rDev -33%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my River Horse glass.

A: Light gold with the faintest hint of pink? Or is that my imagination? Head faded very quickly to nothing.

S: Some sweetness, but the nose is dominated by spice, strangely enough. Just a big ginger smell, maybe a bit of clove. Much more intriguing if this were soda.

T: Bit of sweet malt out front, then a total grapefruit/tart citrus bomb. The ginger is present at the end. Seems to get a little better with each sip, perhaps that's my palate being obliterated?

M: Thin, watery, and highly carbonated. Refreshing? I guess.

O: Hard to call this beer. The fruit and spice flavors are the huge majority of the flavor. I get that it is supposed to be refreshing, but I can't imagine enjoying this no matter how thirsty I was.

EDIT: Based on having a second one out of the bottle whilst hot and sweaty, I've adjusted the scores slightly. Not good, but a bit better.

4.25/5  rDev +33.6%