Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.01% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011)
4.25/5  rDev +33.6%

This is my "mowing the lawn" beer.. or admiring the lawn after I pay someone else to do it... it's freakin hot in Texas. Easy to love.

grg001, Sep 04, 2014
3.29/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Fizzy, clear copper.

Smell is a bit worrisome; jarring citrus/lager combination.

Taste is a relief. Crisp and dry. Ginger and grapefruit dominate, malt hard to discern. Pleasant but shallow in spite of multiple flavors.

Imagine a ginger ale shandy, but drier, with a slice of grapefruit. Well-balanced but a little peculiar. Certainly refreshing, though I'd be at a loss what to pair it with.

blacktieman, May 07, 2013

David1938, Jun 22, 2014
3.28/5  rDev +3.1%

adjective, Aug 31, 2014
3.83/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: golden reddish pour -- head quickly dissipates, no lacing -- l like some head and lacing so this was a sore spot for my tastes
Smell: fruity as expected, no problem
Taste: l liked it a lot -- the grapefruit and carbonation resembled a Fresca, my fave soda
Mouthfeel: ok, very drinkable due to carbonation and low alcohol content
Overall: done in by no head. Sam Adams Summer Ale still the summer beer of choice

dalygnus, Jul 13, 2013
3.48/5  rDev +9.4%

Had tied this at the local beer grotto. Ended up getting it a lot over the summer at the house as it FLEW out of the fridge.

Admittedly, my wife is a fan of flavored beers. Not me. But this was different. Not a foo foo beer at all. The best our neighborhood could come up with is that it is the perfect summer beer. Light in taste. Crisp citrus finish then a hint of grapefruit. Not overpowering, but a tease.

A hard beer to get/keep in Ft. Lauderdale with good reason!

Ghohn, Dec 13, 2011
3.7/5  rDev +16.4%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

It appeared as any other summer offering that's not too light.

Didn't have a strong smell, was crisp and light.

The taste reminded me somewhat of a shandy, with grapefruit juice used as opposed to lemonade. Very drinkable.

The mouthfeel, again, reminded me of a shandy. Not filling but very clean, easy to drink down.

It was enjoyable, seems to be a nice compliment to TexMex or other spicy foods. A good beer for a hot summer day.

ChrisAceGates, Aug 09, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +33.6%

This is my favorite Shiner beer, but I also do like and drink grapefruit juice as well. Despite that fact, I was a bit apprehensive about "beer and grapefruit" but it was quite good. The amount and flavor of grapefruit was just right; not overbearing but enough to tell (without knowing the name) what fruit was included. Will definitely buy this again.

razordm, Aug 26, 2012

1.84/5  rDev -42.1%

pherring11, Sep 04, 2014

Ewhits, Aug 06, 2014
2.2/5  rDev -30.8%

Strong smell of grapefruit and ginger. Called the perfect summer beer but I have had many that were better. I generally prefer dark beer and reds but this red didn't work. Taste was unpleasant and fruit overpowered the beer. Bad aftertaste. Prefer regular Shiner to this. Not for me and I like just about any beer..

Klassicchris, Apr 26, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -21.4%

machinegunphunk, Jun 21, 2012

bpa4bes, May 28, 2013
3.54/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

What can I say? This epitomizes summer for me. A tasty, utterly refreshing seasonal brew that is light on its feet and refreshing when outside working or playing.

The grapefruit flavor is very evident in both the aroma and the taste and sets this apart from most citrusy summer brews—the grapefruit is very forward, very real and natural tasting, and if you like it (I do) very tasty.

This beer is pretty heavily carbonated; I feel like this makes it more refreshing and less of a complex, interesting drink.

This is my go-to summer-evening-outdoors beverage.

GorillaMedic, Jun 29, 2013

29Engine, Jun 16, 2014

sarahski, Dec 12, 2013
3.64/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer has a singular purpose - quench your thirst on a hot hot day, and THAT it will do exquisitely well.

The addition of the ruby red grapefruit and ginger, adding to the astringency of the hops - outstanding combination.

This is a rather "light" brew allowing the flavor of the grapefruit and ginger to "shine" through without being overwhelming... You still know it's beer.

What tastes better after a long day in the hot sun; gardening, weeding, mowing? Of course - a cold brew. What tastes better than a cold brew after a long day doing yard work in the hot sun? Yeah... a Shiner Ruby Redbird.

No wonder the store sold out. (They had a whole pallet of this stuff on the floor on Friday. Monday it was GONE!)

Until now I did not like fruit in my beer. I may have to rethink that.

EcurbTheProphet, Jun 12, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +41.5%

Bsucilla, Jul 11, 2014
4.6/5  rDev +44.7%

SarahHammett, Sunday at 09:06 PM

Bospher, Jun 16, 2014
2.13/5  rDev -33%

This was recommended by a clerk in my favorite beer store when another customer asked about it. It sounded appealing because grapefruit and ginger are favorites and I'm open to trying fruit beers. I bought a six-pack to try and what a disappoinment. I like ginger a lot but the bitter ginger flavor in this overpowered all other flavors. I tried a small serving again with friends a few days later during a meal and it was slightly better with food. Others thought it would be good on a hot summer day but I can think of many other beers I'd rather drink as an afternoon cooler. I will defintely pass on this.

BenFS4505, Jun 05, 2014
4.03/5  rDev +26.7%

This is the first time I've ever seen this in stores, I wonder if I've just missed it the past few years or if it's really that new? Anyway, I had to try it, being a big fan of regular shiner and their bohemian black. It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect, I read other people's reviews that said the ginger is overwhelming, not for me, it's barely there. The grapefruit comes through the most, and honestly it's hard to tell this is a beer. It's quite refreshing and the ABV is low enough that the citrus tastes pretty much drowns tasting any alcohol. The only thing about this beer that isn't superb is the aftertaste... grapefruit always did have an odd aftertaste and it comes through in this. You know the pine-y aftertaste you get from a really deep IPA? Have you ever tried grapefruit seed extract? It's pretty similar. This beer has a pretty heavy, not particularly pleasant aftertaste. It's not horrible, but it caught me off guard. Overall, I like it, it's something new and different and definitely fits the season.

krazycure, May 01, 2011