Shiner Ryes & Shine - Spoetzl Brewery

Shiner Ryes & ShineShiner Ryes & Shine

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Rye Beer |  4.90% ABV

Medium-bodied, dark brown lager brewed with rye malt and chocolate rye from Germany, caramel malt and three hop varieties.

(Beer added by: tdm168 on 01-19-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Ryes & Shine Alström Bros

Dub12588, Jul 09, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +30.8%

Gusmanthecat, Mar 09, 2014
4.43/5  rDev +28.8%

Once again, I am going to go out on a limb and guess that this came to me via local in-person trader, tone77, but I am not certain. I am certain that I am going to winnow down my backlog of bottles so that I may refocus on what really matters - The CANQuest (TM)! For now, however, it is bottle time.

From the bottle: "Limited Edition Craft Brew Shiner Brewer's Pride Selection"; "Roasted sweetness [,] spicy rye notes"; "Every drop of Shiner is brewed in Shiner"; "A little something special from the little brewery in Shiner"; "This Small Batch Brew is the second in our Limited Edition Brewer's Pride Craft Brew Series. It's a medium-bodied, dark brown lager brewed with rye malt and chocolate rye from Germany, caramel malt and three hop varieties. The result is a rich, roasted dry finish with a touch of sweetness and hops, which honors our old-world brewing traditions."; "Prosit!"; "Brewer's Pride in every drop!"

I have to say - if you are a visual person, Shiner beers are for you! My pour got me two fingers of dense, light-brown head with great retention. Color was a deep coppery-brown with NE-plus quality clarity, enabling me to see into the future. Nose was chocolaty with a black pepper spiciness. Mole! Mouthfeel was thick and full and the taste was initially chocolate until the rye spiciness kicked in and a peppery flavor took hold. Finish was semi-dry but the extreme finish was literally breathtaking as the pepper flavor just seemed to linger. Man, I could drink more of this, I'll tell you!

woodychandler, Nov 06, 2012
4.28/5  rDev +24.4%

Part of the shiner family reunion six pack

Pours a dark brown, almost pumpernickle color. Clear but still hard to see through. Decent offwhite heaf.

Aroma is subtle and inoffensive.

Flavor is rich and toasty. A little bit of hop and rye spicyness. I would describe this beer as a dry brown lager with some rye notes in the background.

Excellent mouthfeel. Silky smooth with medium body.

jmbranum, May 04, 2012

LightsOut3000, Mar 15, 2013

Danielbt, May 10, 2012

precella, Apr 03, 2012
4.13/5  rDev +20.1%

It was just very good. So good I was prompted to join this community. It was the perfect combination of richness and sweetness, without going overboard in either direction. I gave the appearance and smell both a 3.0 as I didn't find anything remarkable (or off-putting) about either one. I'd write a more specific review if my boyfriend didn't finish them...which is fairly disappointing considering it's a four-hour drive to the closest place that sells it, and even then I have to hope they haven't run out of the limited release beer.

shirasong, Sep 18, 2012
4.05/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Dark-brown body with hints of amber when put in front of light. 1 finger head with fast retention.
Strong hints of malts, caramel, cinnamon, brown sugar, and toffee. Taste follows closely behind with a rather smooth backbone that disappears into a chocolately finish. Fair amount of biterness, but balanced by the sweet flavours that the caramel and brown sugar provide.
A bit over carbonated but still excellent.

Im glad I picked this up in a mix and match 6 pack. Very interesting and tasty. Well balanced and easy to sip on. Awesome.

intensify, May 18, 2012

Irish_Fan, Jun 15, 2014

jALEson, Feb 26, 2012

From the Shiner Family Tradition 12-pack. I split it with my brother-in-law on a recent trip to Texas.

I drank this one from the bottle while watching football. Some caramel, toffee, and chocolate can be smelled from the top of the bottle. The flavor is a balance of sweet and mildly spicy. The chocolate and caramel are strong and sweet up front followed by a smooth, mild spicy rye in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth with a moderate amount of carbonation.

For a Shiner beer this one is more complex, rich, and balanced than I have come to expect. The chocolate rye malt really is a great ingredient here. I wouldn’t mind having more of these, but I wouldn’t buy the family tradition 6- or 12-pack to get to it.

tdm168, Jan 19, 2012