Shiner Wild Hare Pale Ale - Spoetzl Brewery

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: gtermi on 01-24-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Wild Hare Pale Ale Alström Bros

Pyjack, Dec 14, 2012
1.4/5  rDev -58.1%

Umm... really? Why would a brewery create a bottle design DIRECTLY resembling Great Divide's? Here I am in the store, making a mix-a-six pack, and I pick this beer up thinking it belongs to Great Divide. I come home and look closely; lo and behold, it's from Spoetzl's! I smell a lawsuit coming shortly... someone educate me why this happened.

A: Mellow gold body, little to no head, nothing much here.

S: Smells like a stale beer to be quite honest, forget the "floral hops."

T: Taste is lacking. My tastebuds are not receiving the hops they used in the brewing process. I'm not exactly sure what's going on here.

M: Very light on the palate. Foregoing the taste, it is easily drinkable as I downed this in less than 3 minutes.

O: To be quite honest, I'm confused on why Spoetzl mirrored Great Divide's labeling and design. The beer is not all that "wild" and I'm disappointed overall.

MLasoski, Jun 26, 2012
1.48/5  rDev -55.7%

CtheGeneral99, Aug 22, 2014
1.7/5  rDev -49.1%

Pours out burnt orange into a pint glass with a two finger white frothy head. Good head retention.

Scent is unmistakable lager and metallic smell of Shiner. This is an Ale, right?

Taste has those same Shiner characteristics, lager and metal. It's almost like 103 years of lager brewing has permenatly penetrated their tanks to make any beer have the same characteristics, no matter how many Golding hops they put in.

The mouthfeel is actually correct for the style, which makes me think they at least tried.

But overall this is an EPIC FAILURE

whoneeds8, Jan 26, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -47.6%

carteravebrew, Aug 20, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -47.6%

mwar, Dec 01, 2012
1.78/5  rDev -46.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle into maudite glass.

A- Pours a orange copper color that isn't exactly what I'd call "pale."

S- All I get is malt and metal.

T- "More than a pound of hops per barrel were used to produce this beer." Did you put any of them in the brew kettle or did you use them in some other way? The taste isn't bad but according to style it is way off. Tastes more like an amber lager (Shiner Bock).

M- Not overly carbonated and actually has a nice feel to it.

O- My roommate brought this home and I thought that maybe Shiner was going to make something a little more "craft" but then I poured the bottle into the glass. Will not be buying ever, glad I didn't this time.

HopsKeepDroppin, Jan 29, 2012
1.94/5  rDev -41.9%

I really did not like this one. Upon reading reviews I was really excited to try this beer, as I love fruity beers. But I got no fruit flavor what so ever. I was very disappointed. The best thing about this beer was the appearance. It looked exactly how a beer is supposed to look. Nice amber color. Taste at first was kind of rotton but it got to tasting a bit bitter after that. I just did not care for it at all. I finished it out of obligation not to waste it honestly.

kingcripple, Jul 23, 2014

Scepter, Aug 17, 2014

djre4orm, Jun 13, 2013

Rozyravens, Apr 02, 2013
2.03/5  rDev -39.2%

Pours a very clear, light golden orange. Very clear. The head is thick and foamy, bright white, good retention. Leaves a sticky, pastey lace.

Has a floral, earthy, slightly grassy smell. Hint of malt in the nose.

Wow, tastes only slightly like a pale ale. Really, it tastes more like a watered down pilsner. Malts are present, but the wrong kind.

Doesn't feel much like a pale ale either. Way loose mouthfeel. Watered down. Hoppy bitter finish, but barely, mostly just a watery pilsner feel.

Big disappointment. Not even a good pilsner, but a pretty bad pale ale. Don't bother.

RickS95, Jun 28, 2012
2.05/5  rDev -38.6%

A: Very clear amber, copper color. Minimal head, some decent lacing.

S: Earthy, citrus aroma with a hint of some grass herbs as well.

T: Very mild bitterness, not a whole lot going on. It would be a good apa if it just had a little more hoppy bitter flavor to it.

M: Very clean and crisp, could stand a bit more carbonation. This is about the best part of the beer.

O: Overall, it is not bad I guess. Its nothing to go crazy about. If I wasn't from Texas and have a soft spot in my heart for Spoetzl brewery, I would not be happy with my purchase....

CEversole, Mar 27, 2012
2.23/5  rDev -33.2%

A-copper with a decently thick white head that leaves no lacing

S-floral, malty-it has a distinct nose that is more akin to an English Pale Ale than American

T-a total mess of flavors consisting of spices, floral notes, and a soapy flavor with a lingering earthiness. It really tastes more like an EPA than APA as the nose suggested. Honestly, this is borderline undrinkable when poured into a glass, but can be tolerated straight from the bottle.

M-slick and somewhat chewy.

D-I almost poured this out.

Overall, I will never drink this again.

thegodfather2701, Aug 02, 2013