Shiner Prickly Pear - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: EgadBananas on 06-29-2012

Doubly good in triple digits, our unique summer seasonal is made with the fruit of the prickly pear, a cactus native to Shiner, Texas. With a tart, citrusy flavor and a crisp finish, it’s the best use of cactus yet.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Prickly Pear Alström Bros
firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
2.19/5  rDev -33.8%

Poured fresh from bottle to a glass.

Appearance: Something of a light copper color. Easy to see through and quite effervescent. It certainly looks appealing and inviting. Slighter more copperish than a standard pale ale.

Smell: It doesn't have much of a smell other than sweetness. Specifically, my first impression of the smell is something like agave syrup.

Taste: Disappointing. At first I thought it was just too cold to taste all of the flavors so I let it get to a cask temperature. There is almost no taste to this beer. The sweetness is either overpowering all of the other flavors or it is just only a sweet beer. I know that a prickly pear is somewhat sweet but this reminds me more of an agave beer than anything else. No hop flavors and no usual malts are detectable.

Mouth: Also disappointing. Very light mouth-feel; not much thicker than water. Dissipated rapidly on the tongue.

Drinkability: Moderate. I say this instead of high, frankly because the taste doesn't make me want to drink much of it. If you had a six pack of this you could easily blow through all of them rapidly, thanks to lightness and low alcohol content.

Serving type: bottle (1,170 characters)

It tasted like it was full of artificial sweetener. I had a couple, no where near drunk, and I was puking later that night. Maybe from this, maybe not, but the association will always be there. No thanks. (207 characters)

From a bottle into a snifter. I got this in a shiner variety pack a month or so again. I see it's been retired since then.

Champaign gold in color with thin head but lots of lace.

Smell is pair and orange. It's almost overwhelmingly fruity in the nose.

Tast follows the smell exactly. Orange and pair with some bitter hops. Very unique match of flavor and heavy sweetness.

Lightly carbonated and smooth but not as easy drinking. I couldn't have more than one before the sweetness got to me! (497 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

purchased as part of a sampler case, and it was the lease enjoyable in the pack, don't let the pear inference miss lead you this is a cactus beer, their are some citrus notes, but this beer is too sour for me. (209 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -45.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.25

Terrible. Shiner is pretty awful brewery. No IPAs, no imperial stouts, no barleywines, nothing interesting at all. This is one of the worst beers I've ever had. I went in thinking fruits and refreshing. The pear flavor was horrible, very artificial tasting. I'd drink piss over this. (283 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -50.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.5

Not prickly pear at all. Way too much raspberry artificial flavoring!Overwhelming raspberry
smell. Yuk. Prickly pear would be much more subtle and it would have more of a watermelon smell. (190 characters)

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last