Shiner Prickly Pear - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: EgadBananas on 06-29-2012

Doubly good in triple digits, our unique summer seasonal is made with the fruit of the prickly pear, a cactus native to Shiner, Texas. With a tart, citrusy flavor and a crisp finish, it’s the best use of cactus yet.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Prickly Pear Alström Bros
Ratings: 597 | Reviews: 130
1.64/5  rDev -51%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.5

Not prickly pear at all. Way too much raspberry artificial flavoring!Overwhelming raspberry
smell. Yuk. Prickly pear would be much more subtle and it would have more of a watermelon smell.

1.81/5  rDev -46%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.25

Terrible. Shiner is pretty awful brewery. No IPAs, no imperial stouts, no barleywines, nothing interesting at all. This is one of the worst beers I've ever had. I went in thinking fruits and refreshing. The pear flavor was horrible, very artificial tasting. I'd drink piss over this.

1.9/5  rDev -43.3%

This review is hereby justified

1.96/5  rDev -41.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

If you like the taste sensation you get from licking an old ladies neck, then this shit is right up your alley.

It tasted like it was full of artificial sweetener. I had a couple, no where near drunk, and I was puking later that night. Maybe from this, maybe not, but the association will always be there. No thanks.

From a bottle into a snifter. I got this in a shiner variety pack a month or so again. I see it's been retired since then.

Champaign gold in color with thin head but lots of lace.

Smell is pair and orange. It's almost overwhelmingly fruity in the nose.

Tast follows the smell exactly. Orange and pair with some bitter hops. Very unique match of flavor and heavy sweetness.

Lightly carbonated and smooth but not as easy drinking. I couldn't have more than one before the sweetness got to me!

look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

purchased as part of a sampler case, and it was the lease enjoyable in the pack, don't let the pear inference miss lead you this is a cactus beer, their are some citrus notes, but this beer is too sour for me.

2.02/5  rDev -39.7%

I would rather have a coors light. In fact it tasted a lot like it other than some weird flavor that I assume was the prickly pear.

2.19/5  rDev -34.6%

Poured fresh from bottle to a glass.

Appearance: Something of a light copper color. Easy to see through and quite effervescent. It certainly looks appealing and inviting. Slighter more copperish than a standard pale ale.

Smell: It doesn't have much of a smell other than sweetness. Specifically, my first impression of the smell is something like agave syrup.

Taste: Disappointing. At first I thought it was just too cold to taste all of the flavors so I let it get to a cask temperature. There is almost no taste to this beer. The sweetness is either overpowering all of the other flavors or it is just only a sweet beer. I know that a prickly pear is somewhat sweet but this reminds me more of an agave beer than anything else. No hop flavors and no usual malts are detectable.

Mouth: Also disappointing. Very light mouth-feel; not much thicker than water. Dissipated rapidly on the tongue.

Drinkability: Moderate. I say this instead of high, frankly because the taste doesn't make me want to drink much of it. If you had a six pack of this you could easily blow through all of them rapidly, thanks to lightness and low alcohol content.

2.2/5  rDev -34.3%

Pours out a golden color. Head doesn't stay around very long. Very clear. Smells like artificial fruit aroma and grainy malt. The beer base is a decent enough lager (based on other Shiner products) but it is dominated by artificial flavorings. Tastes like melon and kiwi. Strange. Doesn't taste like prickly pear at all, really. Prickly pear is a delicate flavor and should have been left alone. The ¨natural¨ flavors just kill it. Like a cross between a fruit soda and some Michelob Ultra fruit mess. Mouthfeel is alright, but the sweetness kind of makes it sticky on the tongue. Not very drinkable at all.

2.24/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

REALLY did not like this beer. Weirdly malty, not tart with a strange medicinal flavor.

2.25/5  rDev -32.8%

Pours a dull golden color with a huge head into my glass. I haven't seen too many beers with prickly pear flavoring.

The use of pear adds a light, crisp sensation to the nose. It does seem sweeter than normal but I'm unsure of the taste.

Clean, refreshing and light. The malt base works because it plays along to the strengths of the pear itself.

Grainy, baked bread texture at the back with just a touch of pear.

Not bad. A change of pace from the other Spoetzl offerings I've had as of late.

2.29/5  rDev -31.6%

Wow.. Wow.. This brings to mind the flavour of bottle cap candy and fizzies mixed together. Fruity like straw candy bad.. except straw candy fruity tastes a bit better than this entry. This is a bit of a throwback to the Bartles and Jaymes Era of Fruit Coolers.. Ack!! I mean.. this is NOT a good bear. Wait did I say Bear?? I meant it's difficult to bear this "beer"!. It's debatable that this IS a beer..!!! I really Like Shiner Breweries Entries for the most part. this is NOT one of them..
Wow! and not in a good way..
~Carry On Citizens!!!~
sMc

2.35/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Looks smells and sounds great. Initial taste is sweet then highly artificial and chemical and then the finish is that of a bitter beer. Not to my liking due to the artificial flavor

2.49/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

tastes like perfume! Not impressed

2.5/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Nice looking brew, full head and leaves a nice crown. Huge fruity aromas. Smells like prickly pear juice or sorbet. Taste is crazy. Intense prickly pear. You have to respect that. This is not a tolken fruit beer... They embrace the ingredient. But it doesn't work for me. Too sweet, too soda like. They try to balance that with bitter hops, but the combo doesn't work. Sticky sweet in the front and bitingly bitter on the finish. All that and the alcohol comes through. Feels like a bad wine cooler at the end of the day. I really want to like this...

2.5/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I rate this beer a 2.5 out of 5.

2.61/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Horrible smell ruined any potential taste that may not have been, but was not, present. I meant that. Awful beer. Nothing like real prickly pear taste, feel, smell, or anything. Fake ingredients made from pulverized garbage.

2.63/5  rDev -21.5%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass

A: Amber, clear, about a pinky sized head, little carbonation, big air bubbles stick to the glass.

S: Pear, honey, and a perfumy smell that comes under the pear. It smells very fruity.

T: Sweet. This is probably a little sweeter than I would like but I would attribute that to the fact that there isn't much hop flavor to balance out the sweetness. It's not bad, it's just very fruity.

MF: Creamy, smooth, and leave an oily feel to the mouth. Very light beer.

O: I've had other fruit beers before but I didn't enjoy this one as much as I would've liked. I thought it wasn't very balanced and was overly sweet.

2.65/5  rDev -20.9%

Part of the family reunion sixer picked up at the local convenience. Lets give it a whirl. Popping the top is a very sweet not pear but raspberry smell. Pours to a light bronze wit a multisize bubble off white head that disappears immediately. Taste is a deep sour fruit with some bitterness and a dry light finish. Mouthfeel is sparkly. Not my style.

2.69/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with branded twist-off pressure cap and standard label art acquired as part of a Shiner variety pack and served into an Independence Brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average given the brewery and concept - I like the idea of a pear lager (I love Tusker Lager, which has a great pear flavour). Reviewed as a fruity lager because it identifies as such itso-facto on the label. "Beer brewed with prickly pear fruit and with natural flavor added."

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a two finger wide head of beige colour. Disappointingly thin. Little creaminess or frothiness. Decent inconsistent lacing as the head recedes. Head retention is average - about two minutes.

Body colour is a clear yellow-copper of average vibrance. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it looks pretty standard for a pear lager. No overt flaws are obvious. Not unique or special.

Sm: Immediately, I recognize artificial fruit extract flavoring - green apple and pear. Sweet and candi-like. Not quite cloying. Pilsner malts, pale malts. Has a minimal floral hop presence. A pleasant aroma of moderate strength.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

T: Heavy fruit extract/flavoring. Green apple, pear, grape. Lightly tart. Minimal floral hop presence. Too sweet and artificial overall. Pilsner malts, pale malts. Dreadfully simple and one-dimensional. Zero complexity and subtlety. The balance could use work as well (in spite of its simplicity). Candied. I'm not a big fan of this one.Too sweet.

Very shallow depth of flavour. Average intensity and duration of flavour.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Overcarbonated. Okay body and thickness. Okay presence on the palate. Suits the flavour profile generally well, but doesn't come off custom-tailored to it.

Dr: Downable but uninspired. I wouldn't get this again; very artificial. Pedestrian beer for the hoi polloi. I wouldn't recommend it to friends or trade partners. I'm glad I didn't buy a 6 pack or anything. A disappointment from Spoetzl.

High C-

2.73/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Strange taste. Not sure the color and flavor match.

2.75/5  rDev -17.9%

From the 12 fl oz bottle. This may be retired but I tried it on November 30, 2014.

Average looking pale yellow to light amber pour and a long lasting bug white head.

The aroma has plenty of pear on the nose and I guess that is what it should have considering its name. Sweet overall.

Light to medium body.

Like the aroma there are many fruit characteristics happening here. In some respects it reminds me of one of those Dole fruit cups from the grocery store. Steeped in syrup and sweet all around but nothing extraordinary.

2.78/5  rDev -17%

Straight from the bottle while playing pool and not really thinking about the beer. Picked it up and for a second I thought I'd grabbed someone's friut drink. Gag.

I'm just not a fan of fruity brews. I'd probably rate it lower if I hadn't had a few big beers beforehand.

2.83/5  rDev -15.5%

In the "Family Reunion" mixed six pack.
Poured aggressively in a 12 ounce hotel tumbler. Liquid the color of strong iced tea, dark brown with red throughout. Clear with a light tan head developing. Retention is weak, dropping to a thin film within 30 seconds. Some decent lace left behind.
Smell is sweet, fruity - kind of raspberry/apple mix, no idea what a prickly pear smells like-, some weak malt and nothing else. Smells a lot like a fruity soda, like a Dayton Redpop.
Taste is strawberry-like fruit, malt and that's it. Fortunately, the overriding sweetness of the nose is well restrained here. Still, it drinks like an under-sweetened soda. Balance is fine but with only two notes how hard is that?
Medium plus body, sharp upfront effervescence (but lighter than anticipated) mellowed quickly. Feels similar to a strawberry lambic in many ways but falls well short of that style. All told, an "interesting" beer but not really worth seeking out.

Shiner Prickly Pear from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner