Shiner Prickly Pear - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: EgadBananas on 06-29-2012

Doubly good in triple digits, our unique summer seasonal is made with the fruit of the prickly pear, a cactus native to Shiner, Texas. With a tart, citrusy flavor and a crisp finish, it’s the best use of cactus yet.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Prickly Pear Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev +18.4%

Found in a Shiner Family Reunion 6-pack.

I thought the beer was good. it was refreshing and smooth. I am not a huge fan of fruity beers but this one was pretty mellow and not over the top flavored with fruit.

A: had it out of the bottle.
S: nice and light.
T: smooth and light, very nice.
M: very nice, light and not overdone for a fruit beer. (345 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass

A: Amber, clear, about a pinky sized head, little carbonation, big air bubbles stick to the glass.

S: Pear, honey, and a perfumy smell that comes under the pear. It smells very fruity.

T: Sweet. This is probably a little sweeter than I would like but I would attribute that to the fact that there isn't much hop flavor to balance out the sweetness. It's not bad, it's just very fruity.

MF: Creamy, smooth, and leave an oily feel to the mouth. Very light beer.

O: I've had other fruit beers before but I didn't enjoy this one as much as I would've liked. I thought it wasn't very balanced and was overly sweet. (644 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Found this in my local supermarket's make-your-own six pack selection, bought with a couple of other less popular Shiners. I'm not a big "fruit beer" fan, but I found this one pretty enjoyable, especially b/c you get the fruitiness a bit more in the smell than in the taste.

Appearance -- deep amber golden, really lovely pour w/ nice creamy head
Smell -- pear in the forefront but a really nice, not-too-sweet malty honey nose
Mouthfeel -- really drinkable, not watery at all, smooth
Taste -- what I love about the taste is that it comes off less "fruity-sweet" and more "fruity-deep", as in a good wine, if that makes sense. Still not as malty/hoppy as I like, but wonderful for a "fruit beer."

Enjoyed this one (715 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint.

A: Translucent, medium amber hue. Pours a 1 finger, bubbly, white head which quickly dissipates. Slight lacing quickly retreats into the body of the brew.

S: Light malt, but the prickly pear is prominent. Not overwhelming are anything, but it is the outstanding aroma.

T: Light, pungent, bready flavor base. Some clove, fruit pith, and bubble gum.

M: Light, bitter, and pungent. Kind of tongue-coating, bitter finish.

D: Session.

Atmosphere is okay. Bubbly head, no real lacing. Nose is light with a distinct fruit aroma. Light, pungent, and bitter with a slight sweetness. Overall, this is a decent quaff. (652 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A - dark copper with a thin, bubbly, loose, white head that fades quickly

S - hints of prickly pear and alcohol

T - grainy, faint toasted malt notes, faint caramel, hints of the prickly pear

M - crisp, over carbonated, medium bodied that is thinned out by the carbonation

I'm not really sure what to say about this one. I was expecting a more pungent fruit presence, but it's really subdued. The bottle also promised a citra hop citrus character, but I don't get any of that. In the end, this is a rather nondescript, simple fruit beer. I'm glad I tried it once, but I don't think I'll be buying any more of this. (617 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Found in a Shiner Family Reunion 6-pack.
From the bottle to a Sam Adams laser-etched glass.

A - Nice golden color, with a thin and quickly dissipating head.

S - Sweet, fruity, surprisingly sour smelling. It smells slightly similar to sour candy.

T - I can taste the cactus, it's "green" tasting, kind of grassy and refreshing.

M - Medium bodied with a light aftertaste and some lingering cactus.

Summary - I really enjoyed this brew. It's better than Shiner's other fruit beer attempt "Ruby Redbird" and I would be much more likely to buy a 6-pack of this. It's different, has a unique flavor, and would go well with food or alone (which is how I drank it). (662 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -9.3%

Shiner Prickly Pear pours an orange color with an off white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. The aroma is very sweet almost to the point of being cloying. The body is quite thin, the flavor is on the sweet side, but not as sweet as one would guess from the aroma. A touch fruity, but not a lot going on. This cactus flavored beer is an interesting oddity, but hardly a compelling beer. (391 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Dogfish signature snifter. No freshness date.

A- Pours a dark amber with a 1/4 inch light tan head that retains a bit before soon fading to a thin ring around the edge of the glass and a small patch of surface foam. Half decent lacing compared to other Shiner beers.

S- Crisp aroma with some apple/pear-like sweetness that reminds me of Juicy Juice. The malt comes in and lends a toasty characteristic leading to notes of brown sugar and sweet tea.

T- Flavor isn't as lively with more of a lager flavor pushed up against a minimal amount of pear and berry-like sweetness. There's a noticeable amount of toasty malt that balances things out. Highly drinkable.

M- Certainly not prickly but rather thin and slick. Medium carbonation and a medium-full body.

O- Probably the best Shiner beer I've had which, as you can see by the score, isn't saying much (868 characters)

3.41/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

"This small batch brew is the third in our Limited Edition Brewer's Price Craft Brew Series. A combination of Citra and U.S. Golding hops gives this refreshing lager its citrus flavor and floral aroma. The brew's signature tartness comes from the fruit of the prickly pear, a cactus native to our brewery's landscape that's hearty, rugged and unmistakably unique- qualities we surely appreciate. Prosit!" Brewed in the style of a fruit lager. Available as part of the 2012 Family Reunion 6 packs or 12 packs. No visible date.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass. Served above 45º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a crunchy, crispy off-white head with average staying power, surprisingly good for my standards with Shiner. Lacing is specked and very light. Body color is a very mildly hazy amber-orange with sporadic spritely carbonation. The appearance is quite good for this beer. 3.75

(Smell) Wow, this is a very fruity aroma. Very fruit notes forward, highly potent, perceivably prickly pear, but a little less cidery and more berry-like in its aroma. Mild grassy and citrus hops lend a hand but have a hard time cutting through the already fruit-heavy aroma. A subtle pale malt sweetness doesn't contribute much to the aroma but probably isn't needed as much anyways- the aroma is already very sweet from the fruit character. The fruit, while unique and enjoyable is a bit syrupy sweet in the aroma, making for a natural imbalance, but this is certain to find a few people's likings. 3.25

(Taste) Flavor has an equal emphasis on the sweet as well as on a bitter tartness, always welcome for me. Mildly tart wildberry flavor with a faint residual sweetness is a better-balanced sweetness character for me. It's still front-and-center in the flavor, with a pale malt profile giving it a hint of body and a grassy hop note here and there complimenting the tartness for a better balanced but spritely and clean finish. I have a bit of a soft spot for fruit beers, as I personally enjoy the flavor but understand that a bit more balance would have been more desirable. The malt character is a touch shallow, and I don't doubt some malt body would have created an even more complex and unique flavor. Mildly dry finish with a bit of soft grain huskiness. 3.25

(Mouthfeel) There's a buzzy carbonation presence that does more creaminess and foam than stinging crispness. Body for the style is medium, and amongst all beers is slightly below medium. Alcohol presence is very well hidden by the fruit notes. I found the carbonation presence enjoyable for this beer. 4

(Overall) I still don't get why Shiner holds out these types of beers for their limited releases when they're easily more enjoyable and flavorful than their staple beers. If you haven't had a prickly pear-led beer before then you're in for a treat. A more berry-tart aroma than cidery acidity obviously leads this beer, but it's not a complete palate wrecker- somewhat light body makes for likely repeat drinks, and if I had more to enjoy I'd certainly take them up on that. 3.5

Spoetzl Brewery's
Shiner Brewer's Pride Craft Brew No. 3: Prickly Pear
3.4/5.00 (3,135 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

a: pours a deep copper with around a half finger of tan head, dissipates to a thin film

s: very sweet, aroma of raspberries, and an underlying hint of malt and corn. while an enjoyable scent, the image it brought up was a Four Loko without fusel alcohols.

t: while I will admit I don't know what prickly pear fruit tastes like, the flavor is much less sweet. perhaps a bit like a less wheaty and less sweet Abita Purple Haze. nicely carbonated to cut the sweetness.

o: of course more of a hot weather beer. i know lots of non-craft beer friends that would quite enjoy this. more of a novelty for me. (641 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Produced about a finger, and a half of white head. The beer color is a translucent, medium amber.
The aroma is of prickly pear, and biscuits.
The taste is similar, but not as bold as the smell had indicated.
Light mouth-feel, and fairly high carbonation.
Good beer, for what it is. My wife would enjoy this more than me. (320 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A - Nice Amber to dark ruby color with a nice white ehad that diasapated rather quickly. Very pretty beer

S- Very sweet smelling. Smellled like raspberries to me.

T - Not nearly as sweet as it smelled. I was not expecting that. I would almost call iit more tangy than sweet. There is a definate bitterness on the finish.

M - Would call it a light to medium bodied beer. Lots of bubbles.

O - A very intersting beer. I was happy with it. Not something I would drink all the time but wouldnt mind picking up a sixer every now and then. Very drinkable beer. I wouldn't call it complex but it has some very interesting flavors. (628 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -5.1%

Thanks to my Uncle for this donation... Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, Shiner Prickly Pear is a perfectly clear, slightly caramel but golden in color with a pillowy white head. Beautiful looking Lager. The nose is quite fruity sweet, much more than I had anticipated - smells more like a wine-cooler than a beer. The flavor reflects the same, very fruity - almost berry like flavor that again is more reminescent of a Segram's. Mouthfeel is medium in body with a creamy, viscous carbonation and a smooth, neutral finish. Overall, I may have over-reacted to the beer's fruitiness. While offputting at first just due to the immense berry fruitiness of it, the beer is actually well balanced, finishes clean and leaves you wanting another drink. I would like to know how much of this is prickly pear and how much is "natural flavor added". (847 characters)

3.44/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Discovered as part of the Shiner family sampler pack.

This one pours a lighter saffron amber, with a generous finger or so of head that quickly dissipates. The lacing's spotty, no retention. Some clouds.

The smells hits you as soon as the beer leaves the bottle. It reminds me of carbonated juices like Izze - Not an artificial or sugary smell, just a faint whiff of fruit.

The taste is pretty faint as well. Flowery and fruity, but barely so. It's backed by a clean grain and an agave-like sweetness. That said, the aftertaste is tinny and reminiscent of the average stadium beer.

The mouthfeel is thin, but not off par for the style. It could be livelier in the carbonation department, given the bright, more subtle flavors.

Overall, I give shiner points for effort. I was impressed by the quality of some of their beers, and while this one fell short of the rest, I do commend them for bringing in a fruit beer that is unique, geographically pertinent, and not loaded with unnecessary sugar and spice. (1,009 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into 9oz pilsener glass. Poured a clean, clear amber-gold color with less than 1/2 inch of off-white head that had OK retention and low lacing.

The aroma was certainly on the sweet side, a bit sweet, with some gentle grains and nice even hops. On the tongue, it was the same story. A soft grain base, a bit of smooth hops and mostly the fruity sweetness.

The body was pretty good, smooth, even, clean and easy drinking. Drinkability was very good, I'd have a couple of these on a warm day. Overall, I liked this beer. It was somewhat of a surprise (the only other Prickly Pear beer I'd had, hadn't impressed me, but it was from Widmer), I'd say it's probably a must try if you see it, but maybe not worth a lot of effort to obtain. (740 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A pretty good easy-drinking pool side, refreshing, lawnmower beer. Not the greatest. I would like it to be a bit more tart (its not very tart to begin with).

Slightly tart, a fruitiness. maybe a bit of watermelon? Obviously from the cactus, but not really sure what that taste like on its own. slight hint of raspberry...like you would get in a raspberry wit that is light on raspberry (387 characters)

3.32/5  rDev 0%

Auburn colored and clear, head was about a finger and lace is so-so.

Aroma is that of grape soda, sweet and fruity.

Flavor is a bit more complex, fruity and sweet, herbal, and I suppose.... cactus.

Body is light and well carbonated, with an almost dry finish.

It's interesting, if not the brewery's best effort. Not bad. (325 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -34%

Poured fresh from bottle to a glass.

Appearance: Something of a light copper color. Easy to see through and quite effervescent. It certainly looks appealing and inviting. Slighter more copperish than a standard pale ale.

Smell: It doesn't have much of a smell other than sweetness. Specifically, my first impression of the smell is something like agave syrup.

Taste: Disappointing. At first I thought it was just too cold to taste all of the flavors so I let it get to a cask temperature. There is almost no taste to this beer. The sweetness is either overpowering all of the other flavors or it is just only a sweet beer. I know that a prickly pear is somewhat sweet but this reminds me more of an agave beer than anything else. No hop flavors and no usual malts are detectable.

Mouth: Also disappointing. Very light mouth-feel; not much thicker than water. Dissipated rapidly on the tongue.

Drinkability: Moderate. I say this instead of high, frankly because the taste doesn't make me want to drink much of it. If you had a six pack of this you could easily blow through all of them rapidly, thanks to lightness and low alcohol content.

Serving type: bottle (1,170 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -20.2%

Part of the family reunion sixer picked up at the local convenience. Lets give it a whirl. Popping the top is a very sweet not pear but raspberry smell. Pours to a light bronze wit a multisize bubble off white head that disappears immediately. Taste is a deep sour fruit with some bitterness and a dry light finish. Mouthfeel is sparkly. Not my style. (351 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -4.5%

A: poured from 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, copper colored with a 1" white head that dissipates leaving some lacing, clear
S: sweet fruit smells of apple and pear, citrus hops, sweetest and fresh
T: taste is watery with little happening, sour fruits mixed with light lager
M: thin with a ton of carbonation, constant streams of bubbles,finish is crisp
O: I got excited over the look and smell, let down by taste, I would have liked more complex flavors to match the delicious smell (484 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -10.8%

Clear amber in the glass and a nice appearance. Well carbonated with a light moouthfeel. Faint aroma of

Rather sweet and quite fruity. Somewhat tangy, but not at all like citrus taste. Rather faint grape flavor. A touch of cherry Kool Aid as the tartness kicks in. Quite mellow and not the least trace of hops. Just an earthy touch at the end.

Actually too bad, though it's hard to pin the flavors down. Not the usual faint wheat beers with fruity flavors, either. The lack of malty and hoppy beeriness will cause me to skip it next time. From the 12 oz bottle purchased at H and H Beverages in Abilene, Texas. (613 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -12%

Appearance: Pumpkin orange with very little foam and lacing. It's flat too.

Smell: Raspberries and apples. Very faint, but it's pleasant enough.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Extremely bitter. Nothing else really. I guess I taste a bit of lemon or even some burnt cedar or quinine. The mouthfeel is like soda water, which permeates the bitterness.

Overall Drinkability: I used to live in Arizona, and also wondered what cactus beer would taste like. A friend told me it wouldn't be easy, and that's apparent here. I will give bonus points for trying to pull it off. (555 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -33.7%

Pours out a golden color. Head doesn't stay around very long. Very clear. Smells like artificial fruit aroma and grainy malt. The beer base is a decent enough lager (based on other Shiner products) but it is dominated by artificial flavorings. Tastes like melon and kiwi. Strange. Doesn't taste like prickly pear at all, really. Prickly pear is a delicate flavor and should have been left alone. The ¨natural¨ flavors just kill it. Like a cross between a fruit soda and some Michelob Ultra fruit mess. Mouthfeel is alright, but the sweetness kind of makes it sticky on the tongue. Not very drinkable at all. (609 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -14.8%

In the "Family Reunion" mixed six pack.
Poured aggressively in a 12 ounce hotel tumbler. Liquid the color of strong iced tea, dark brown with red throughout. Clear with a light tan head developing. Retention is weak, dropping to a thin film within 30 seconds. Some decent lace left behind.
Smell is sweet, fruity - kind of raspberry/apple mix, no idea what a prickly pear smells like-, some weak malt and nothing else. Smells a lot like a fruity soda, like a Dayton Redpop.
Taste is strawberry-like fruit, malt and that's it. Fortunately, the overriding sweetness of the nose is well restrained here. Still, it drinks like an under-sweetened soda. Balance is fine but with only two notes how hard is that?
Medium plus body, sharp upfront effervescence (but lighter than anticipated) mellowed quickly. Feels similar to a strawberry lambic in many ways but falls well short of that style. All told, an "interesting" beer but not really worth seeking out. (952 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – Pours a lighter copper / deep amber color. Upon pouring there is a two finger white head. The head fades over a moderate amount of time to leave a decent level of lacing.

Smell -The smell is very sweet and can be detected from the pour, well before bringing my nose to the glass. In the aroma are huge smells of lighter (in color) fruit aromas with big peach, pear, berry (raspberry and strawberry), kiwi, as well as some citrus. There is also a prickly pear aroma that comes through with the rest. Overall its smell is massive of sweet and smells heavily of candy; it is tasty, but rather strange for a brew.

Taste - The taste begins with a lighter bready flavor and a good dose of pear, peach and berry. These taste remains relativity constant, except for an increasing prickly pear and kiwi flavor that continually grow stronger as the taste advances further on. In the end a sweet fruity flavor is left on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the lighter side while the carbonation level is on the higher side. For the sweeter flavors the body and carbonation are both very fitting for the brew and make it easy drinking and more refreshing (lemonade refreshing as opposed to cold water refreshing).

Overall – It was sweet and had some nice flavors, although for me it was a bit too fruity. It would likely be nice on a warmer day when looking for something sweet as well as refreshing. (1,463 characters)

Shiner Prickly Pear from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner