Shiner FM 966 - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Texas, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Lawl3ss on 12-24-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner FM 966 Alström Bros
Ratings: 533 | Reviews: 94
4.21/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I’m going to be the contrarian here and say I liked this one.

This pours an auburn gold color with tight lacing. There’s a pleasing honey-floral aroma to it. It’s pleasant smelling—pleasant enough, at any rate.

The flavor has a light, hoppy (for a Shiner) Belgo-IPA character to it, like a floral, slightly sweeter saison. It’s affordable and sessionable and I wouldn’t complain if I had another. To be honest this beer surprised me with its approachability, its character, and its drinkability. Not at all what I expected from Shiner, and one which I would stand up against any number of second-tier domestic saisons (at double or triple the price).

Thanks to XicanoBeerRun for passing this one my way.

3.56/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Color is a bit darker than what I’m used to, with more orange color than straw yellow; clear-bodied; fine head formation though not good retention.

Definitely saison in aroma with that sulfur/white pepper/yeast smell. Also some sweet biscuit malt in there.

First impression is that it’s a good thirst-quenching beer with its dry character. Body seems just right, as does carbonation. A few more sips and I’m noticing a lingering malt sweetness that I’m not a fan of. It’s slight, but I want that finish to be drier.

Overall I’d say it’s a middle-of-the-road saison. I’m glad I tried it but I’m also glad I didn’t buy six of them.

4.05/5  rDev +22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

FM 966 has a pleasant amber color with a white head, neither spectacular nor off-putting.

The smell is that of a light citrus and hops combination, somewhat earthy and mildly fragrant.

FM 966 tastes excellent in my opinion, though I tend to favor lighter beers. It tastes like a wheat beer with perhaps a bit more complexity than most. Somewhat light, fragrant hops flavor with citrus undertones and mild carbonation lend this beer to utter drink-ability. A- in my book. I'll certainly buy this beer again.

The beer feels light in the mouth with mild carbonation. I personally find the beer utterly drinkable. However, I tend to favor beers with more mild carbonation. From a tap, (at least the one I had it from) this beer comes out slightly less carbonated, which I tend to favor. Certainly not sticky with a very mild hops aftertaste I find the mouthfeel to be very favorable.

I would, and do, recommend this beer to anyone interested in trying new, if somewhat familiar, beers which evoke both spring and summer.

3.24/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a clear haylike yellow with a white head. Simple and straightforward aroma for the style, but enjoyable nonetheless; belgian yeast giving off some bubble gum, slight fruity esters. Flavor starts off nicely with the yeast giving off the fruity esters and some gum but it then gives off to pilsner malt and some crackers, and by the end all flavor has seemed to vanish. A crisp, medium body. Overall, average beer at best by the standards of a craft saison but I feel as though I am doing a disservice to the beer comparing it in that light. To me, this beer feels like it serves the same role as Yuengling Lager does: cheap, highly drinkable, decent flavor. You drink the beer under a microscopes you will find things to fault with it, but to drink it while sitting back, hanging out with friends, watching some baseball, it will serve me well.

3.7/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It pours a golden haze, small white head though it does maintain. Lace, not so much. Carbonation is lite.

Aroma of malts, hey and eayst.

Taste of a nice tasty malt backed by a spicy peppery mix with the hop. Some citric balance. Belgium yeast notes are noted.

Mouthfeel is left with a slight hop coat of spice.

Overall a real surprise here, I enjoyed this beer as a farmhouse, I haven't found a staple, till now. I will buy this beer again even if seasonal.

Appearance: This beer pours a clear pale golden color and is topped with ½” of angel white head that lingers.
Smell: The beer smells of malt and a Belgian style yeast rather typical of this style I would say.
Taste: The taste of this beer is rather delicious a good malt base with a nice blend of spices and yeast that play nice with each other, neither one dominating the other.
Mouthfeel: It is a tad on the thin side but it makes for a smooth easy drinking beer.

3.44/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bought from Trader Joe's, poured from bottle into a Sam Adams etched glass.
"There's Nothing Finer Than a Springtime Shiner" - Have never tried this style, so we'll see about that.

A - Very light gold appearance. Not much of a head. It's inviting, but nothing spectacular.

S - Smells a lot like a wheat beer. Some citrus tones, as well as some yeast. Maybe some hops. I like it - I can see where the "It's Refreshing & Spicy" claim on the bottle came from.

T - Interesting. Again, I would say it is a wheat beer if someone gave this to me as a blind tasting. However, it is not as smooth overall as a wheat, and does have a tang at the end. Nice.

M - Overall, it's a pretty light mouth feel. Some carbonation, but not much. There is a bit of a lingering aftertaste, of which I'm not a fan.

Summary - I got this as a single bottle from TJ's, but I wouldn't have minded a six-pack. I like Shiner's experimentation with different styles from year-to-year, it makes things interesting. As for this beer, I can envision it being a good "everyday" beer in the Spring and Summer months when it's warm. The light body and refreshing wheat-style make it a good choice.

3.37/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: gold in color it poured slightly cloudy into a pint glass not too big of a head but decent lacing

S: slightly fruity some spices and maybe a little yeast

T: first there was a strong hop flavor that played well with the spices then followed the fruit flavors

M: crisp and light bodied it gives a pleasant feel on the tongue

O: this is a good spring time beer i had never had saison before but i rather liked it i would drink it again

2.29/5  rDev -31%

I poured this awful beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer poured a pretty golden color and poured a nice big white head. Thats all the good I can say about it. The smell was skunky and terrible. The taste was sour and terrible. I like Shiner products for the most part but this beer got a YUK in my personal beer data base. I would not buy again and Shiner should not produce it again.

3.58/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a golden color with very light, thin layer of white foam.

S: Hints of banana and light tropical fruits, maybe mango. Some mild malt sweetness.

T: Lots of banana. Sharp carbonation that almost drowns the very mild hops. Decent amount of malty sweetness.

M: Light bodied, but has some small amount of heft, which balances out the sharp carbonation.

O: Well balanced, though rather light all around. Easy drinking, with just enough flavor to make it tasty and refreshing.

2.36/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle, appears to be best by 5/8/13, Ommegang tulip.

A pale, rich gold greets me on the pour. There is not all that much head, but it is stark, clean white and hangs around.

The nose is largely fruity, banana focused yeast. A whiff of pale malt. It's pretty tame and one-dimensional.

It's fruity here too, but the yeast oscillates between a clean lager crackeriness and banana and some apricot. There's pale malt, a matte yeast feeling combined with a slight bitter finish, but not much else.

Too much carbonation, thin body.

I suppose this is pretty much what you'd expect if Shiner tried a Saison. It's pretty good, but could go a lot further. There's a fairly strong, but not delicious, Belgian yeast strain popped in a wort of simple pale malt.

2.9/5  rDev -12.7%

Almost a finger of head on a hazy, orange/golden colored body.
The aroma is nice: banana, grain, lemon and nectarine.
The taste is watery with hints of banana and lemon. Too mild.
The texture is soft with moderate carbonation.
Not a bad beer but the taste could have more to it.

3.46/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a slightly hazy, golden color. 1/5 inch head of a white color. Slight retention and slight lacing. Smells of hint of alcohol, sweet malt, slight yeast, hint of wheat, slight spice, floral aromas, and a hint of hops. Fits the style of a Saison / Farmhouse beer. Mouth feel is smooth and clean, with a low carbonation level. Tastes of slight yeast, floral notes, hint of grass, hint of alcohol, sweet malt, hint of spice, slight of wheat, and a hint of hops. Overall, good blend and feel, but the body and aroma are muted.

3.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours a slightly cloudy amber, with about a finger of bubbly white head. Dissipates fast without much lacing.

S - Primarily hops, with a touch of alcohol smell, but not in an adjunct kind of way. Tracings of coriander and orange help balance the hops.

T - Hops, a little heavy for my taste, but that's alright because I like the way the coriander works with it. The oranginess is there along with a straw or haylike flavor.

M - Better than I initially perceived, relatively heavy carbonation, but also dry in a way that produces a refreshing sensation, and without a lot of aftertaste.

O - Pretty refreshing beer, one that I find myself enjoying despite being heavy on the hops. This was my first Shiner and I'm intrigued to try more of their styles.

3.04/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.
Chill-hazed gold in color,with an airy head of white foam.
Aroma-faint spicy yeast
Taste-Watered-down spicy yeast, faint hop note. Refreshing, if a bit too light-hearted. Too many high standards to compare against keeps the score down for me, when you think of all the outstanding examples of Saison/farmhouse ales out there. An "entry-level" offering at best.

3.63/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear golden apricot with a foamy ivory half inch head that lingers around the rim.

Ironically, apricot and confectioners sugar form the initial aroma, with a little farmhouse funk and yeast esters rounding things out. Notes of honey and bready malt and floral chamomile add complexity.

Flavor is fairly tart until mid palate, when toasted breadcrust, slightly sweet and stale, begins to dominate into the bready finish. Floral notes are evident in the beginning, along with coriander and pepper, detracting slightly from the funky sour character. Banana esters and yeast character ever as it warms.

Body is moderate, but is perceived as a touch light due to high carbonation. There's a touch of alcohol warmth in the finish.

Good funk character and nice tartness, but malt is a little overpowering. I'd like a little less carbonation to keep funk from being lifted from the palate.

4.23/5  rDev +27.4%

Shiner FM 966 has a thick, fluffy, off-white head, a hazy, golden appearance, some streaming bubbles, and some lacing left behind. The aroma is very bursting- spicy pepper, cracker, subtle citrus, and some other indistinguishable smells. Taste is of spicy, yeasty malt, some hops, maybe coriander, white bread, and sweetness. Mouthfeel is medium and slick, and Shiner FM 966 finishes mostly dry, easy drinking, and delicious. Overall, this is nice and well made. Check it out!

RJT

3.12/5  rDev -6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I admit, I miss Texas. Even though I grew up here in New Jersey, I've driven through the Lone Star State enough times to have an affinity for it. I like how Shiner celebrates their roots and when I saw this in a store near me, I wanted to give it a go because dammit, I miss those back roads in Texas. I wasn't expecting this to be on part with its counterparts from Belgium or Ommegang but as an easygoing beer, this was just fine on a night like this.

Sure enough, this had a pour to it like a Macro Lager - malty, light, and with a fluffy head that filled up the remainder of my pint glass. The carbonation was good and there was even a bit of sediment on the bottom to swirl out. No lacing to be seen either and the aroma was that of white grapes and some sour yeast. This was complemented by grassy notes and a watery mouthfeel that made this slide down pretty easily. The back was very floral with some straw thrown in, but the typical Saison taste and funkiness faded relatively quickly afterward.

The alcohol was a bit strong in this but I never tasted it at all or felt that it detracted from this beer.

3.4/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear medium gold with a fizzy one finger white head that is quick to fade into some wispy lacing on top and on the sides of the glass.

Aroma is very Saison-like with hints of coriander and orange peel with a little underlying caramel. The yeasty citrus is quite nice and better than I was expecting.

The flavor, however, is a bit of a let-down. Citrus and coriander up front but it is very dialed back and weak. A tiny bit of acidity before the abundant carbonation washes away nearly all hints of flavor. Mouthfeel is extremely dry which is nice but it nearly goes too far and becomes chalky. Absolutely no lingering finish which is really a shame.

Overall, there is a lot of potential with this beer but it just falls short. I feel like Spoetzl was trying to play it safe and appeal to the masses but it is a little too safe. While this is not something I would pick up on a regular basis, it could be a good introduction to the style.

3.62/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a clear goldenrod with a medium soapy white head, leaving some nice spotty lace.

S: Quite a barnyard character even though I doubt this has any brett in it. Hay, grass, floral and spicy hops character, hint of herbs.

T: More of a straightforward taste. Hints of barnyard, but really dominated by the pils style malt. Grassy earthy hop character.

M: Crisp, biting carbonation at first, but falls off thin in the finish. Needs some more body.

O: A solid effort, I don't expect the world from Shiner, and they definitely made a drinkable refreshing beer here. Hey where else can you find a saison for $7.99/six-pack.

3.33/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Shiner FM966 Farmhouse Ale is a straw- colored beer that is clear as a bell and is coated with a white head of foam that lasts a decent amount of time. The nose on this beer is one of light spices, cloves, and bananas and based on appearances alone, the beer seems promising.

Shiner FM966 Farmhouse Ale is a lighter brew with flavors of fruit, yeast, bread, and biscuit- like malts. Searching a little more, I come up with even more tastes such as bread, grapes, banana, some honey, and spices like coriander and clove.

Shiner beer products, with a few exceptions, are not usually associated with greatness, but the brewery has managed a handful of tasty, satisfying beers worthy of a second helping. Unfortunately, the majority of Shiner beer is very middle of the road and, more often than not, leaves the drinker wondering why Shiner didn’t try a little harder. This beer is, again, an average beer product overall and yet another one of those middle- rated Shiner beers that have become the brewery’s trademark. It offers some decent flavors and some promise overall, but the problem is that the beer is too light and ordinary to rank among the best.

It is nice to see that Shiner is venturing out in new directions and it is great that the company is now brewing ales. But Shiner FM966 Farmhouse Ale is a very ordinary example of the style and while I agree that this beer is crisp, clean, and highly drinkable, it still comes up short overall.

3.34/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

It's a clear golden coloured brew with a 1 finger head of foam.

It smells spicy, there's some cloves with some sweetness that's very candi sugar like, some grain.

The taste is well, not as good as what I expected from the smell. Light spiciness, some grain, even some hints of the horse blanket flavour that I quite like in the style but there's a watery character that seems to mute what I like in the taste. Still, I think it's a decent shot at a Farmhouse Ale; it just need some tweaking to bring more of the flavours to the fore front.

3.51/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - Poured out a hazy, orange color with a one-finger, off-white head of foam. It left some sudsy trails of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled fruity but not like most saisons.

T - Fruity and sweet with some yeasty/spicy bite.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A light to medium bodied ale with a dry finish.

O - This is okay. A nice attempt at an ale and a very sessionable brew.

3.46/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The body is a nice golden yellow with a spare, flat white head. The aroma is an interesting mix of slightly tart fruit and berries with a good mix of freshly mowed grass and some cereal grains. Peppery and spicy flavor with light malt flavors in the background; slightly metallic character. Feel comes across light and watery with a prominent fizziness on the tongue; crisp and dry finish.

The overall taste is the saving grace with this offering. I personally like the warm, spicy flavor and just wish that the feel was a little more solid. Worth a try...

4.33/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Really nice saison...from an American (large) low-priced craft brewer. Good stuff!

I recently had "La Fin Du Monde" on tap...and honestly, I think this beer compares favorably to it...though yes, they are different styles--still a saison is similar to a tripple. No, it's not as good, but...hey, it's less than $9 for a sixer.

Has an earthy, almost sour beer taste--like a homebrew, but fresh and refreshing--definitely a classic saison. I can guarantee, if this beer were from Belgium, in a fancy bottle...it would be rated quite high. As it is, it's a bargain!

Try it friends, I think you'll love it.

Shiner FM 966 from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner