Shiner Premium - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

American Pale Lager |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: zeff80 on 03-30-2013

Ratings: 360 | Reviews: 75
2.09/5  rDev -31.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Lighter yellow with a thin white head.

Smell: Almost no smell, light corn, wheat, and malt.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth light bodied. Taste of light hops and malts with wheat and corn.

Overall: Nothing special about this beer. Glad I tried it.

Tastes like a metallic step up from Keystone.

2.97/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours nicely into pint glass, with a fine white head that has some lacing. Very mild malt aroma. The taste is very blase, not much to it. Fine for lunch on a work day, or a hot summer day when you are thirsty.

2.17/5  rDev -28.9%

Not a fan. Would not purchase and would not likely drink if offered for free.

3.14/5  rDev +3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Standard pour from a 12oz bottle into a pilsner glass. Pours a clear, pale straw-yellow with a small head that quickly recedes away.

Aroma is biscuty and malt-y, with just the faintest trace of hops, very understated overall.

The flavor is just as understated- think a big American macro-brew, but done with less use of adjuncts. A trace of sweetness up front followed shortly by a crisp, dry finish. Nothing especially spectacular, but completely inoffensive at the same time. Easy to drink at just over 4 percent ABV.

Mouthfeel is fairly light, and notable for the quite high carbonation.

Not my usual sort of beer, but for what it is, it's quite serviceable- would be a good summertime thirst quencher. If you can find it Shiner Premium would be good as a slightly more upscale replacement for the standard American mega-lagers.

3.73/5  rDev +22.3%

Purchased in a single at Hy-Vee Wine and Spirits. Poured into Miller pilsner glass. I will be comparing this to the conglomerate that is macro American adjunct lagers, so keep that in mind throughout my review.

Appearance (3.25) : A bold, fluffy, creamy three fingered head on top of a golden straw body with excellent clarity. Pillowy head recedes to a tiny crown within a minute or so. About average and on par with the macros.

Aroma (3.75) : Barley malts and slight wheat. Maybe a distant hint of corn or rice. This smells better than most macro lagers - cleaner, crisper. More barley is present, rather than extra adjuncts like corn and rice. Shows Shiner's pride into making even a basic premium lager.

Taste (3.75) : Very crisp and smooth with minimal bitterness. It doesn't taste like much except for malts and barley. That is both its strength and downfall. No off flavors, and a slight dry malt finish.

Mouthfeel (3.5) : Creamy yet carbonated. Light bodied. Finishes dry with a faint hop presence.

Overall (3.73) : A great beer that I would purchase again and again. Better than the macros for sure, and much cleaner finishing. The only hit I would give it is that its taste is a bit lacking, but overall it's very malty and pairs with food well. It does what it's supposed to. Not a craft beer with tiers of flavor, so don't judge it by that. For what it is, and it IS a basic, no frills lager, it does a great job.

3.25/5  rDev +6.6%

Slightly above average, sweet, and clean lager. Would not be the first I would go to, but not one to turn down either.

3.25/5  rDev +6.6%

In a mix and match six pack. Side poured with standard vigor from the bottle into a Sam Adams glass.

Appearance - Pours a straw yellow color, similar to a standard AAL, with a decent half finger head that dissipates quickly and leaves little lacing. Anything with a picture of Texas on it, I like it.

Smell - Some faint biscuity-ness, grains, a bit of malts, not much else. Nothing too impressive.

Taste - A sweet, toasty flavor complements the biscuits in the nose very well. Certainly some malts in the mix. While it is not super complex, it is enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - Finishes clean and smooth, leaving a bit of maltiness on the palate.

Overall - I think this is a decent beer for the price (cheap). It won't blow your hair back, but it's worth a taste. Condor recommended and approved.

My local, frequent in-person trader, tone77, recently dropped this off for me in his latest batch of beer in support of The CANQuest ™. I am always anxious to see what he has for me when he stops by!

From the bottle: “Brewed from pure artisan well water”; “A Beer Behind the Times. In a lot of ways the town of Shiner, Texas (pop. 2,070) is the same today as it was in 1909. Sure, there’ve been a few concessions in the name of progress. Like the stoplight on the road through town. But somehow its spirit remains the same. Maybe part of the secret is in the bottle, a premium style lager crafted with the same love and care today as it was generations ago. We hope it takes you back. – Prosit!”

It was a screw-cap, so no Pop!, but plenty of Glug as I nearly upturned the bottle just to see what would happen. I got a brief pseudo-cascade followed by the creation of three fingers of dense, fizzy, bone-white head that began to fall fairly quickly, leaving nice lacing in its wake. Color was Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-plus quality clarity, enabling me to see into the future, when I have a job interview. Nose was malty with a cooked vegetal scent and a little bit of a metallic twang. Hmmm. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. The taste was much better than the nose, and actually rather unexpectedly sweet. It had a kind of sugary maltiness that I have not experienced in a while. It was clean and adjunct-free, which is definitely in its favor, but I just was not feeling it. Finish wavered between sweet and semi-sweet with a lingering sweetness in the mouth. It will make an interesting segue to their Oktoberfest, which I scored today and plan to drink a little later following this one.

2.5/5  rDev -18%

Pours a bright gold with a decent head into my glass. Shiner has made its' way up here.

Lightly sweet with a mild toastiness. Nothing much else to write about.

Sweetness goes from mild to cloying in sixty seconds.

Finishes with that toasty texture once again. Gives it a bit of a nutty finish going down.

I'm not sure if this is intentional or not. Either way, not horrible.

1.8/5  rDev -41%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

There are much better choices from Shiner than this one.

3.13/5  rDev +2.6%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on August 11, 2014.

Brewed from pure artesian well water the label exclaims! And it pours straw yellow with a foamy, white head that lingers. Loads of carbonation bubbles roaring up the pilsener glass I put it in.

Aroma of grains, malts, toast, rice, and corn with a clean crisp hop bite.

Light body.

There is a sweetness to the malty character in the flavor with grainy notes and a nice, clean hop bite to finish.

3.51/5  rDev +15.1%

12oz brown bottle with a twist-off cap. Very vintage looking label. Poured into a Blackwater Draw Brewing Company Texas Independence Day 2014 Mason Jar Glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear, pale yellow color. 1 finger of head that recedes quickly. Minimal to no lacing

Smell: Faint biscuit and pale malts

Taste: Similar to the aroma with a stronger biscuit note and a slight hop bitter in the finish

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated and on point for american style lagers

Overall: Nothing too fancy, I always really liked shiner blonde and I love the rebranding with the old-school packaging. Great easy-drinking pale american lager. The only issue I have is when it tries to be more fancy than it is such as price. But if it is at the same price point as the other macro beers where ever you may be, then this wins.

2.76/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A solidly decent lager. Nothing particularly outstanding to write home about, but definitely a good option compared with many of its American counterparts. It has a crisp and clean mouthfeel. Great clarity. It's well balanced, but doesn't end up tasting like much of anything particular.

2.33/5  rDev -23.6%

I like Shiner Bock original (the Bock) it's a decent beer, I even like Kosmos quiete a bit..
For me this Kölsch Brewer's pride is a real t*rd.
At the very best, this beer was like drinking Lucky Lager, Old Milwaukee, Milwaukee's Best, Mickey Bigmouth, Rainer Beer or maybe even Black Label. Heck, If I were in High School or College again and just wanted to get blitzed this would be okay, then.
However, the fact that its price is that of a premium beer, one would expect much more than this..What gives????... In my opinion, and it's mine and mine alone, I think Shiner needs to pack this one up and forget it. Seriously, I was really disappointed and I like some of Shiner's brews. This is a marketing focus opinion for free and it's brutal, but I'm being honest. All successful Companies know that you give your customer what they want and not what you think they'll like or need.

3.18/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle received in trade.
Pours a crystal clear medium golden color with a decent sized bubbly white head that quickly dissipates to wisps of foam on top. Aromas of light bready pilsner malt with a hint of either caramelized sugar or caramel flavoring and a hint of prune type fruits. Very faint aromas of earthy spicy hops round us out. The flavor is a bit sugary sweet with hints of prune or fruit. Little to no hop flavor and just enough bitterness to keep this from cloying. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation. Decent brew, but nothing to go out of your way to try like I did.

It's the shiner version of budlight only about 10X the taste and mouthfeel. This stuff is what I'll reach for next time I want to drink some cold american lager. Pours golden clear with a thick white head on top. You can smell the grains and hops in it. The taste is very good with a hint of malt. Some grains and kind of a sweet taste that I can't figure out. Well worth the money.

2.89/5  rDev -5.2%

A: Light yellow with a weird slightly orange tinge. Almost no head. Medium retention.

S: Sweetness. Wheat. Milkweed. Tiny bit of orange rind.

T: Like the taste, wheat with a cloying sweetness. Overly sweet. Metallic nickel finish. Mild zucchini flavor. Just a little dry tanginess at the end.

M: Light. Needs more sharpness at the end to stand up to the sweetness. Finished fat and greasy from the mouth coating sweetness. The nickel aftertaste again lingers a little.

O: I said a lot of negative things here, but nothing was really all too bad. I think my biggest complaint is that it just doesn't take a stand anywhere. It's boring. Tastes like a cheap mid 20th century American brew. On the plus side, it's drinkable and nice and would probably be a perfectly acceptable camping or beer pong brew. Certainly it's better than most American macrobrews.

3.28/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 ounce longneck into a shaker pint. A moderate pour yields about a 3/4 inch short-lived head that settles into a ring and little islets or foam. The beer is an extra-pale golden color with moderate carbonation.

Even though this beer is classified on this website as a pale lager, there are some corny adjunct flavors coming through- they're not overwhelming or off-putting but certainly some cooked corn flavor and aroma is part of the profile. A slight bit of floral hops on the nose and tongue along with the lingering bitter-sweet finish. A pleasant burpiness and aftertaste adds to the refreshment.

This is a very refreshing, drinkable, and true-to-style beer, and just now available in my area. I believe a little corn is a traditional ingredient in American lagers, and I think this is a pretty fair example of what I would call an American retro lager.

I bought this beer as part of a variety six pack for about $8.50.

2.19/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Appearance (2.25) : Yellow / Clear in color, very little / no head, and a discrete amount of carbonation. Not the most attractive beer, but not an ape.

Smell (2.00) : Not much of a smell, I smell a small amount of hops, but I'm having trouble placing any other smells.

Taste (2.25) : I have to say, not as bad as I expected. Sweet and a bit dark - which I know seems like a strange combination. Not a fan of the residual flavor.

Mouthfeel (2.25) : Very carbonated and bright feel, a little lackluster, but not awful.

Overall (2.25) : Not very pleased with this beer, however, it does have some qualities. It's refreshing certainly, good for very casual drinkers, just not the most "tasteful".

3.64/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Can't say I ever seen this beer so I totally picked it up when I found it at my local house of 1,000 dollar shelf. Into a mug.
A - First off twist off love it in a pinch. Secondly is this a light lager? It's so light yellow! The head is pretty nice it takes a while to fizz out. Pretty ok.
S - Distinct house yeast, canned corn, and some skunky husk.
T - It's decent for a lager sweet corn goodness, light toasted husk, and a bit of lager yeast twang.
M - It's much fuller than I expected for a light lager still crisp and light.

Overall It's a good lager much tastier than the typical Stegmeier I pick up. If I see it again for a buck I will try and score a six pack.

3.31/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Had this as part of Shiner variety pack. Could be the most bland beer I have ever had. Nothing bad to really say, nothing off putting. It seems like all Shiner beers have the same appearance with different colors. And none seem to have anything going for the nose. This one has nohing wrong with it, very easy to drink. But it also does not really have anything good about it. Basically, meh, easy drinking but, again, meh.

3.1/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured this beer producing a robust foamy head the quickly subsided with little remnant. A light pale, clear appearance. Vaguely fruity, but not unpleasant aroma. Mouthfeel is decent, if not memorable. Very light taste ... equally unmemorable. Not a bad beer, but nothing distinguished to share with others.

2.7/5  rDev -11.5%

If I didn't know Shiner better than I do (which, being from Texas where their products are nigh ubiquitous, is quite well) then I might feel insulted by this beer. As it stands, Shiner Premium isn't very good. There's nothing explicitly "wrong" with it, per se, but it's so painfully average that it's barely a step above something you'd find in a bottle of Budweiser.

So, to start this review off, I'll say that I wasn't disappointed but underwhelmed. This beer pours an exceedingly clear pale straw with a quick-foaming, quicker-dissipating head that leaves minimal lacing. Smell is barely there: a whiff of a vaguely beery aroma, barley malt, not much else. No hops that I can tell. Taste is pretty much the same, inoffensive but bland. It's sweeter than some of the big boy beers, but it's not much different, except for a vaguely metallic taste and a tiny touch of bitterness at the end. Mouthfeel is what it should be for a beer like this, at least. It's crisp, refreshing, goes down easy and leaves no complaints whatsoever.

This beer could and should be better. Just because it's an "American Pale Lager" doesn't mean it can't have at least a little bit of character. If it were on tap, yeah, I'd buy it over a Bud or Miller, but I probably won't be drinking this one again any time soon. I won't just bash a beer and leave, though: like I've said, it did nothing to offend me and it's not exactly a "bad" beer: it just doesn't do anything to set itself apart.

To good health and inoffensive beer.

3.27/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Poured a clear straw yellow with a 1/2 a fingers worth of head that settles quickly to a ring with very little lacing, lots of active carbonation.

S: I'm getting a lot grain, some sweet caramel and a slight floral finish.

T: I'm getting sweet malt upfront... a little graininess with a touch of citrus mixed in... the finish has a little sweet caramel in it.

M: Light bodied, crisp, sharp yet smooth with a dry finish.

O: Not a bad lager, pretty average for the style, pretty average for Shiner.

Shiner Premium from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner