Chomolungma - Jackie O's Pub & Brewery

English Brown Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: beveritt on 08-12-2008

4.8/5  rDev +27%

4.75/5  rDev +25.7%

What I compare all honey nut brown ales against. Doesn't get any better than this folks.

4.62/5  rDev +22.2%

A huge CANQuest (TM) note of thanks to Uncle JedI and PurpleHatJoan for dropping several CANs on me during their recent, all too brief visit to Lancaster, PA! Let's face it, Jackie O's is near-legendary, if not full-on legendary and I do not know how long it might have taken me to get these CANs otherwise.

From the CAN: "sustainably crafted with purpose"; "brown ale brewed with wildflower honey"; "Design by Kevin Morgan Studio Illustration by Bryn Perrott"; "Brewed in honor of Brian Oestrike's May 23, 2007 Mt. Everest Summit".

Hoo hah! The Crack! awoke Kong King Chomolungma with its loudness, setting off an avalanche in which we hid in the same crevasse to escape its wrath. Ol' Boy was looking at me with all four of his eyes until I inverted him and began a heavy-handed Glug. It didn't help matter that he was another craft brimful CAN, but I got him upturned all the same. The pseudo-cascade was quick to subside, creating a dense finger of light-tan head as its result. Color was a deep, dark-brown (SRM = 44), allowing only minimal light penetration at the edges. Nose smelled of dark chocolate, roasted peanuts, fudge. It reminded me of my late-Pops' favorite ice cream - Rocky Road! Mouthfeel was big, full, and creamy and the flavors melded together so nicely that it could have been Rocky Road or a liquified Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, but either way, it was totally evocative of my late Old Man. He really got sent by the chocolate/peanut butter combo and went for Tastykake Peanut Butter TandyTakes as well. Chomolungma was not really happy with the way I was describing him, so I began to back away and make my way up and out of the crevasse. The finish left me with notes of leather, smoke and more of that choco-nut flavor that had been its trademark throughout. No wonder Jackie O's has the solid, stellar rep that they do, if this is indicative of their beers. I am a self-avowed hophead and yet, I REALLY want more of this one, especially on Saturday, 01 Feb, for the annual Hula in the Coola Day!

4.56/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had a pint draught at World of Beer at Easton in Columbus, OH

Appearance - Dark brown with light brown head

Smell - Caramel, malt, chocolate, very aromatic

Taste - Very solid malty taste

Mouthfeel - Medium carbonation, smooth, almost creamy.

Overall - Very good brown ale overall. If brown ales are your thing, strongly recommend checking this out.

4.56/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer was much darker than I expected. It still had a nice mouthfeel although a little different from other brown ales I've had. This isn't to say it was bad, it seemed more smooth or velvety than other brown ales I've had. The taste was great, probably the best brown ale I've had so far. A little spicy with noticeable bite but smooth enough for the style. I would highly recommend this beer; it is the best I've had from Jackie O's so far.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

Poured into a perfect pint. Stop #2 on my JO's CANquest raises the stakes with one of my favorite style's being evaluated.

4.5 A: Lightly hazed dark amber light brown color. Two fingers of creamy tan head. Retention is very good and a healthy ring of lacing is left behind. Quite nice.

4.5 S: Oh boy is this a treat to cranial nerve #1. Deep, rich nuttiness flanked by toastiness, caramel sweetness, and cocoa powder. The honey is light, but does add a nice extra layer that complements the main flavors quite well. Just a touch of earthy hops.

4.5 T: Cranial nerves 7, 9, and 10 have a good time now. Nuts, caramel, cocoa again do it right with honey having a bigger role in the taste. Earthy hops again. No complaints, very good.

4.5 M: Medium body. Pleasantly creamy. Good moderate carbonation.

4.5 D: Really solid beer. Maybe I'll actually order it next time I'm at JO's.

4.41/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

a. nice dark almost black color, might not fit standards but the beer looks nice. Nice 2 fingers of head.
s. nice malty smell, hits of hops and even the honey.
t. this is the best part. This beer is really good.
m. nice creamy texture, great mouth feel.
o. I will buy many more 6 packs of this beer. Keep them coming.

4.39/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.3/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Chomolungma from Jackie O's Pub & Brewery