Kentucky Monk - Jackie O's Pub & Brewery

Kentucky MonkKentucky Monk

Jackie O's Pub & Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Tripel |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: drgonzo3705 on 08-08-2009)
3.58/5  rDev -9.6%

A - Brownish beer that was relatively transparent. Had a nice off-white head and left some stick behind.

S - Bourbon, peat, little earthy, some yeast, smells alright.

T - Bourbon has really overwhelmed the base beer on this, can barely taste any of it. On the plus side, if you like bourbon, it's actually pretty nice tasting. I would have liked the tripel to stand out more, but it's not like this tastes bad. Has some nice peat and earth going for it.

M - Almost full bodied, smooth, moderate carbonation.

O - Not exactly what I was expecting, maybe a little less time in the barrel or a little time to cool would bring out the tripel a little better. That said, it's not a bad beer, and for people who like bourbon it might be something you want to seek out.

AgentZero, Aug 22, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -12.1%

Thanks to Mike (Thorpe429) for bringing this bottle to a recent tasting.

A: Has a nice red-orange color with a small ring of head to top it off.

S: Very interesting aroma thats not quite like anything I've had before, seems like Jackie O's is on a roll for making interesting aromas. I definitely get the bourbon but past that the Belgian notes of straw, yeast, and then honey poke through some in an interesting way. There is definitely some alcohol heat in the nose too.

T: The taste is also bourbon dominated and seems to overpower the beer below it. A sweet, savory almost meaty overtone of the barrel covers some of the normally sweet and lighter tripel yeast and malt. Some grain pokes through too. Butter. Good thing I like bourbon or might have done what Michael did two reviews below me...

M: Hot for sure, medium in feel, buttery.

Overall an interesting beer, but I think maybe the bourbon barrel is too strong for the base beer. This gets hard to drink after a while too.

Dreadnaught33, Aug 20, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -8.3%

Big thanks to Brad for hosting this release and putting out another batch of fine beers. Shared at a tasting the other night and served in a SAVOR snifter.

Pours a mostly-clear moderate brown color with a bit of a crimson hue to it. Good off-white head and a bit of lacing.

The nose carries some bourbon and a bit of the underlying tripel. Light clove and pepper plus a bit of fruit, though that's a bit overwhelmed by the bourbon. The flavor goes a bit further in favor of the spirit, with the bourbon taking over the base beer a bit. As I really enjoyed the Tripel, the bourbon took too much away from that, overwhelming the delicacies of the underlying beer. Nothing bad at all, just a tad too much barrel character for my taste.

Medium body with bourbon, but not much booze. Dryer finish with good carbonation. Pretty solid, but I'd prefer the base.

Thorpe429, Aug 20, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -44.4%

Bottle shared by Mike. Thanks!

So look, I'll be honest, I gave this an A+ when I had it on draft the night before the review. I have no idea how reconcile that experience with the bottles of this that I've tried. I guess I was just hammered that night or something. As the previous review states, this just tastes like watered down bourbon with a splash of butter. Trying this next to Hocking Triple is particularly disappointing since that is actually a fairly nice American Triple (though also diverging in my mind from having it on tap) and this is just obliterated by the barrel and is remarkably unenjoyable.

yourefragile, Aug 18, 2011
1.88/5  rDev -52.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Group tasting on 8/12/2011

This one was a huge bourbon-butter bomb. Didn't really get any subtlety here, just a massive alcohol / solvent assault with a sticky, somewhat artificial-tasting sweet finish. Sorry, but I found this pretty much undrinkable.

kscaldef, Aug 14, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

Bottle courtesy of acurtis. 2011 release. Bottle 65 of 300 I believe.

Pours a dark golden, light amber color. Looks like honey that's for sure. Minimal head which dissipates rapidly; expected for a barrel-aged beer in my experience.

Aromas of sweet clover honey and bourbon. Smells just like that Wild Turkey American Honey booze that they sell now. Really nothing else just sweet honey and buttery bourbon. Crazy, I don't remember every smelling anything like this in a beer.

Tastes begin with vanilla and woody flavors, light buttery malts and sweet honey and bourbon in the finish. Heavy on the vanilla and oak with a bit of Belgian candy sugar, booze, and brown sugar. Some mild fruit notes are also present as it warms. Definitely a sweet Bourbon bomb.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation. Pretty sticky on the tongue.

Overall this was a very nice unique experience. I don't think I have ever had a barrel aged Tripel but this was pretty darn tasty. Tons of buttery bourbon throughout which makes this one better to sip, savor and share with others. My main complaint is that I can't taste any of the base beer as the Bourbon trumps all other flavors and aromas here. Recommended for fans of Bourbon barrel beers more than fans of Belgian Tripels because I wouldn't have know this was a Tripel if it didn't say so on the bottle.

claspada, Aug 13, 2011

bottle #213/300

A - cloudy copper, minimal white head, a thick ring.

S - Bourbon, vanilla, sweet fruity aroma, very delicious

T - Wood, bourbon, sweet cherry notes, vanilla. super smooth

M - Very smooth, full body. It's just about right.

O - a great beer. Wish I had more.

ColdPoncho, Aug 07, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -9.6%

A: Sunset orange body. Moderate off-white head. Slight foamy lacing.

S: Bourbon, coconut, sun tan lotion, vanilla, and spice. A bit odd, but not unpleasant.

T: Lots of bourbon up front--but not much heat. The middle of the flavor profile is dominated by Hawaiian Tropic sun tan lotion. It gets to be a bit off-putting with each successive sip. Back end finishes with more bourbon and oak.

M: Medium carbonation. Medium bodied despite the heavy presence of bourbon. Crisp finish.

O: Wasn't the biggest fan of this, but there were some interesting notes in this beer... worth seeking out but I'd save it for a group tasting situation.

callmemickey, Aug 01, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

golden in color with a light tint of reddish to it, though that maybe my eyes. Lots of cloudiness in this one for sure though with a huge billowing head of white that rises up to at least three inches before falling back down to a somewhat reasonable level. Not before dropping tons of lacing all over the sides and the bottom of the glass though.

Then I reach in to find out whats going on with the character of this one, holy crap we have a winner. Huge notes of vanilla and woody tones, light buttery malts and droves of fig like notes great me. Vanilla tones just dominate though, really just immense aroma. Warming starts to bring out some more lighter notes, peaches, light citrus tones, hints of grape skin. I cannot resist any more though and I must go in for a taste. Blown away now. I get smacked with tons of vanilla and bourbon notes right off the bat. Just melting my palate and making me sink into the chair. Simply amazing the transformation this beer has undergone in the barrel. Subtle notes of fruit coming through now, pears and plums, light tart like grape flavors, but mostly woody and vanilla just overloading your senses. Again I let it warm to bring out more subtle flavors and hints of light citrus now start popping up, drying the plate and leaving just a touch of tart

mikesgroove, Jul 31, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle into matching Jackie O’s snifter. Bottle number 96/300, 2011. A huge thank you to HosP for sending me both the beer and the glass.

A: Pours a burnt orange with a sticky off-white head that left some decent lacing down the glass.
S: Big notes of bourbon mixed with tripel-esque spices. I get a note or two of vanilla as well.
T: Follows the nose with notes of bourbon, spices, vanilla and a touch of fruit. I can definitely pick out the tripel backbone that lies beneath the barrel ageing.
M: Warming alcohol, medium body with low carbonation and a bit of a watery mouthfeel.
O: This was a bit of a confusing beer to me, but definitely unique. I didn’t love it, but it was good and I’m glad I got to try it. Thanks again for sending it to me, Mark!

scottfrie, Jul 22, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured into a Jackie O's snifter on 7/2/11

Shared by MbpBugeye

Bottled 2011, 105/300

Dark, browned amber. Some cloudiness. Pours about one finger of foam but it thins rapidly to a skim and a collar. Small specks of lace.

Smells of divinity and bluegrass. Honey, toasted wheat, mild spices, pilsner malt, dense grains, group-think coconut, snippets of vanilla, dry honeycomb and faint wood notions. Bourbon ghost note as it warms. Tastes darn near as good. Not-too-sweet honey, toasted wheat, pilsner malt, coconut and bourbon heat. Perfectly balanced with a slight charred oak finish. Not picking out much, if anything, in the way of Saaz hops. Medium body. Fairly slick with some alcohol heat.

Overall impression: Kentucky Monk is easily one of the best Jackie O's beers.

Ryan011235, Jul 21, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

Thanks for sharing this beer, Scott.

A: The pour is a clouded orange color with a finger or two of off-white head.

S: The bourbon, vanilla, and oak aromas almost completely outshine the base beer on this one. There is some Tripel character to it with candy, light fruits, very mild spices, and some bread and toffee malts.

T: Like the aroma, this beer pretty much tastes like a bourbon barrel. Heavy on the vanilla and oak with a bit of candi sugar, booze, and brown sugar. Some mild banana and fruit notes are also present.

M: The body is medium and the carbonation is somewhat low. Pretty sticky on the tongue.

O: I liked this, but mostly because it just tasted like bourbon (a la many Bruery barrel aged beers). The flavor was just a touch boozy.

womencantsail, Jul 19, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

Had this one on-tap at the Jackie O's release.
A: Almost opaque burnt orange, with a good collar and film and slow creeping carbonation.
S: Honey and a nice bourbon character, sweet alcohol, tangerine or mango with ginger. Strong earthy vanilla.
T: Slightly floral and milky, nice cool bourbon burn, sweet ginger ale and tangering character.
M: Thicker, with not a lot of carbonation.
O: Good.

ne0m00re, Jul 18, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +16.2%

Thank you Cam!

Wasn't expecting this one and then wasn't expecting it to be so stellar. Jackie O's is tied for Worst Label and Packaging with Weyerbacher for me. But they consistently blow me away with the beers. This one was no different for me. Ugly, lo-res, poorly designed label. Should it matter? Maybe not. Books. Judging. Covers. All that. But - hey I have a marketing company and the metrics say yes, duh, it freaking matters. But I digress -

Off the bat, mid-copper slightly occluded honey color. Minimal head. Label says "Malt beverage aged in bourbon barrels" and goes on to explain Belgian Tripel, local honey, yadda yadda. I've heard it and read it all before.

Aroma is mild, fragrant, not overly "there".

Taste is just freaking phenomenal. At first blush, you've got the honey, the bourbon (not too much) and a buttery aftertaste that mellows your mood instantly. Mouthfeel is solid, but smooth and fast.

It could all go wrong in the finish, but it of course does NOT. I don't think there's enough candied fruit in the taste or fizz to represent it as a Tripel, but it's better than any Tripel I've ever had and I don't miss it at all. I'd choose it over anything from Belgium.

Someone trade me some more of this one.

Outstanding.

radioscooter, Jul 13, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +15.7%

Thanks Chris, really enjoyed this...

A- Hazy red orangey color, but nice and bright. Head recedes quickly into a white ring around the glass, some lacing.

S- Smells like a caramel covered apple. No joke, it smells like a caramel fucking apple. To pick it apart, lots of bourbon notes and booze up front followed by a malt sweetness/ yeast character. Truly awesome.

T- Wow, lot going on here in a good way. Even taste like a caramel apple at first then it finishes like a belgian tripel; tangy and sweet.

M- Nice but a bit heavy. Not a bad thing because its not syrupy.

O- Amazing beer wish i could have more.

Kshock, Jul 08, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +15.7%

A- Pours a slightly hazy rich honey color with a white head. Head becomes a layer of bubbles and leaves some spotty lacing.

S- Wow this is a great smelling brew and is has quite a bit going on here. I love the smell of the honey that just seems to jump right out at me. I'm also picking up a great deal of bourbon, vanilla, carmel, and a hint of melons.

T- This beer is so freaking smooth going down its sick. Caramel, vanilla, woody, and sweet bourbon. Again I'm digging the honey taste. Alcohol makes itself known here along with a touch of melon and a bit of something that seems toasted (Seth said coconut, I'm not sure but I like it and that's what matters.)

M- Medium in body and lighter side of medium in carbonation.

O- Wow this beer is totally awesome. I hope that this one pops up again and again. Very nice work and highly recommended. Thanks again Seth.

nrbw23, Jul 07, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

Love the contrast of this classy beer and it's fun label.

Appearance - Gorgeous clear reddish amber - classy. The color alone draws you in.

Smell - Cranberry, sweet bourbon, heavy bourbon, blue cheese funk.

Taste - Bourbon, honey, malt, wood. Wish some of that cranberry in the scent came out in the flavor.

Mouthfeel - smooth

Overall - A very classy beer, and a nice break from my usual darks. Try it with the cheese plate!

GrowlerGirl, Jun 30, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was the first beer I went for when I got to Jackie O's the night before the June release. I ordered up a whole snifter of this which, unfortunately, was fulled to the brim.

Appearance
The beer is a coppery orange that has about a medium haze. There wasn't really a head, but I did see other people's pours looking quite stacked with off white froth.

Aroma
Very, very smooth. This one is loaded with nice bourbon notes that are all interwoven with soft wood notes. Delicate vanilla teams up with caramel to give me an aroma that makes me think of Worther's Originals and my grandma's candy dish. Caramel apple, lots of toasted coconut and more smooth bourbon. Some toasted grains also quickly become apparent. It does retain a little bit of that classic Jackie O's barrel character. A little bit of must, damp wood. Really good smelling stuff.

Taste
Man, this one is packed with lovely bourbon flavor but none of the bourbon harshness. Velvety a caramel and vanilla combo is the strongest part of this beer. Toasted coconut is also intense and a very interesting part. It seems to work well with the fruitiness of caramel apple notes that run in and out. Alcohol flavors build as the beer warms, but remain a welcome part of this complex brew. The finish is quite woody with a good deal of nuttiness with a spike of spicy alcohol.

Mouthfeel
This has the typical low carbonation, but that keeps this beer feeling as smooth as it tastes. Its very silky and rich.

Overall
So far this is the best Jackie O's beer. I was really excited for it and my expectations were met. I guess its a good thing that all the trade nerds are more interested in the Dark App variations.

MbpBugeye, Jun 30, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +21.2%

On tap at 6.25 release.

I had a taste of the base Hocking Triple and wasn't very impressed. Going into this with low expectations, I wasn't just surprised, I was knocked of my feet. Best beer of the release, imo.

a: hazy golden brown without much head

s: bourbon, sweet bourbon, then vanilla, honey, caramel malts. as it warms there are hints of fruit, lemon, pear, banana and spice.

t: more bourbon, oak, belgian yeasts, clove spices, a touch of bubblegum. such complex blending, the overall taste is significantly more than its parts.

m: full bodied without being cloying. label and whiteboard says 8%. it tastes like much more. BA says 10.5 - this sounds about right.

o: i want more. DA's got all the attention last weekend but this was the home run for me.

pitasoup, Jun 30, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

This beer was a pleasant surprise. The pour is a glowing amber orange color with quick white foam. The nose is fantastic. Lots of caramel, sweet bourbon and vanilla. The barrel time has tamed the spicy yeast of the base Tripel. The flavor is rich and boozy. Loads of vanilla, bourbon and an old ale quality to the finish. Really complex and interesting beer. The mouthfeel is nice, sweet and lush but not syrupy. Lingering cream and vanilla oak on the finish. Very nice body, the honey adds a lot to the complexity and weight to this beer. Good job with this one Brad.

Tripphop, Jun 28, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +22%

On tap at Jackie os

Pours a cloudy yellowed brown. Almost no head.very thick. The nose is top notch. Bourbon and sweetness. A nice touch of yeasty smell with a floral hint. Sweet and thick on the tongue tons of bourbon. Vanilla and oak overwhelm the otherwise boring triple the yeastiness comes through in the background. Overall, thick, sweet, bourbon, amazing

Urbancaver, Jun 25, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +11.9%

The first beer I had at Jackie O's 4th Extravaganza. Poured into a snifter.

A- Pours a hazy, golden color. Thin layer of white head.

S- Oh man, the aroma on this beer was perfect. I wrote down three words when I was taking notes. I will repeat them here, "think bourbon butterscotch." Reminded of those caramel, butterscotch candies I used to eat, but in liquid form with a touch of bourbon. Very aromatic.

T- Taste was very good, but did not live up to the smell. Initially, oak and distinct wood flavors hit the palate. This was followed by a little bit of spices, cloves, which produced a banana-like quality...not too pronounced, but there. If the taste were to end here, I would have given this 4.0. However, the ending on this beer is pretty darn good. Finishes strong and sweet, with a mixture of caramel malts, belgian candies, and bourbon.

M- Medium bodied. Decent carbonation.

D- This beer is lethal. If it weren't for the high ABV and the enormous list of beers on-tap, I could have easily seen myself drinking a few more glasses of this.

Overall, I like tripels, not too crazy about them, but this was a fantastic take on a traditional Belgian styled beer.

rhinos00, Dec 10, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +14.4%

The first beer I tried at the Jackie O's 4th Anniversary Extravaganza.

Pours a hazy golden yellow with little head that leaves some lacing on the glass.

The aroma on this beer is amazing. I get a ton of butterscotch. A little vanilla and pronounced bourbon. I couldn't stop smelling this beer.

Tastes of vanilla, banana and oak with a powerful bourbon ending that is perfectly balanced.

Medium mouthfeel. Tingles on the tongue.

Surprisingly drinkable given the high ABV. All around delicious beer.

boothbeer, Dec 09, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +22%

Got to taste this while in Athens this past weekend...and took a growler to go.

This beer is quite astounding.

Pours a nice hazy golden color with little to no head

Smells of whiskey (bourbon), vanilla, oak cocoa nibs, pine, citrus. The smell is tantalizing, truly unique and heavy on the bourbon barrel aroma...it's a Belgian style, aged in oak. And, man, the aroma here is potent and exquisite!

Tastes of Bourbon, vanilla, green peppercorn, Belgian candy sugar, spice, cloves, orchard fruit...very complex and aromatic...

This beer is incredible. One that I would love to come back to again and again. It's powerful, but very, very drinkable. What an excellent blend of malts, hops, and Bourbon/Whiskey flavors. This beer is well made and top notch. If you have the chance to get some of this, drink a glass at the bar and take a growler home. Nicely done.

movingtrain, Aug 17, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +17.4%

A: Pours a deep straw color with a thin yet bubbly head that manages to stick around for the haul.

S: Light but pleasant banana and bubblegum hiding underneath a big pleasantly sweet vanilla and bourbon nose.

T: Nice banana and bubblegum maltiness hit the palate as the aroma of the bourbon fills the rest of your mouth.

M: Medium body with just enough carbonation. Pretty clean finish for such a big brew.

D: They hide the alcohol very well in this beer. Works for me as I could easily drink a few of these.

drgonzo3705, Aug 08, 2009