Bourbon Berry Grove - Jackie O's Pub & Brewery

Bourbon Berry GroveBourbon Berry Grove

Jackie O's Pub & Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Wheatwine |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: rhinos00 on 12-07-2009)

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

2.5/5  rDev -36.9%

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

3.08/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured from the bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: The beer pours a murky dark brown with a reddish hue. There is a ton of foamy off white head but it fades pretty quickly to a layer on top of the pour.

Smell: I'm getting a sweet malty note up front with a tartness that probably isn't supposed to be there. The berries and bourbon are there, but this has definitely turned into a fruity dark sour. There is just a touch of vanilla in the background.

Taste: The taste isn't quite as tart as I expected it would be, but there is a dark sour note to it. I'm definitely getting a lot of sweet malt along with some berries. There is a touch of bourbon along with some vanilla. There also seems to be some dark fruit and oak in the taste. The finish is tart and sweet.

Mouthfeel: The body is medium with way too much carbonation, I mean way too much. The finish is a bit dry.

Overall: I didn't hate this beer, which is what I expected. I would have liked to have this one not infected. I guess that should teach me something.

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

I super chilled the bottle to prevent gushers. No gushers from this super cold bottle. The beer was served in a snifter. I had to pour the beer a couple times in order to get a full glass. The carbonation is a bit explosive.

A- The body of the beer has a ruddy plum coloration. The head was an off white with reddish purple tinges. The head has massive staying power and lacing is super thick.

S- As I was expecting the bourbon pops out undertones to the bourbon are berries really unable to determine what kind of berries, tart and sour cherries, vanilla, honey charred oak.

T- As with the aroma bourbon is popping out all over. If you dont like bourbon dont even bother. Underneath this tide of bourbon is berries, tart and sour cherries, more bourbon, vanilla oak. I am getting a bit of sourness from this beer but I am not minding it in the least. Is the beer infected?

M- The body of the beer is medium. The carbonation is very high. I mentioned possible infection with the flavor and perhaps excess carbonation. I think the high level of carbonation makes this beer more drinkable. No alcohol heat is noted from this beer

O- I like bourbon. I like beers that are a bit boozey. This beer hits both out of the park. The beer only continued to improve as it warmed in my glass. Again I am not certain if the beer is infected? I wish I had a few more bottles.

3.63/5  rDev -8.3%

Pours a dark ruddy amber color with a short lived off-white head that leaves some spotty lacing if you agitate and swirl the beer.

Aromas begin with, no surprise, a lot of berries. Soon after, however, you get a lot of bourbon, vanilla and quite a bit of charred oak.

The tastes follow the nose with initial cherry and blackberry syrupy juiciness. But then it's all barrel again with vanilla, bourbon and the charred oak flavors which clash with the fruit and wheatwine base.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a low amount of carbonation. Finish is boozy and sweet.

Overall I just don't really like the combination of flavors here. It's also pretty much a bourbon bomb with fruit juice added. Jackie-O's steps up to the plate, swing and miss, as usual.

3.35/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks goes out to Mississipping for sharing this one during StayWhatYouAre2’s pre-wedding tasting! Thanks Ian! Bottle 92 of 180! Infected??? Served from bottle into a Boulevard tulip. Poured a deep brown with a three finger tan head that subsided to two fingers very slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, pineapple, coconut, cherry, and funk. The flavor was of sweet malt, fruit, sour, tart, vanilla, cherry, funk, earth, and peanut. It had a light feel on the palate with massively high carbonation. Overall this was a fairly decent brew. A part of me thinks this one was infected. I’m not sure what the flavors were they were shooting for here, but just based on the carbonation alone I would cry infection. After each sip, the liquid would turn to foam on your palate almost instantly. Just glad I wasn’t taking large sips or I might have suffocated due to the carbonation formed in my mouth. I really would have loved to try this one un-infected, but you have to take what the brew gives you.

4.23/5  rDev +6.8%

Bomber to tulip
Bottle #101/1192
Sampled 17JUN12

Thanks to Alex for this bottle from a trade more than a year ago.

[A] Less than a 1/2 finger tan head rises and fades without sustained retention. A creamy crescent shaped collar remains, however, throughout the course. The pour is darker than expected, plum colored with a chestnut brown hint and bright ruby highlights when backlit. Clarity is impressive. Wavy patterns and random dots of lace cling to the glass or slide down slowly.

[S] Clean bourbon impresses upon the nose first and is then backed by a layer of sweet, dark fruits becoming more apparent as the temperature rises. The same can be said for the oak. The actual fruits aromas are clearly noticeable, but aren't as easy to identify on the nose as they were on the palate. The initial heat wears off and is much less noticeable now than it was at first pour. Light vanilla. Perhaps a dusting of cocoa.

[T] Again, first impressions are of bourbon. But the dark fruit flavor sets in on the back end and provides a lasting impression of cherries and blueberries, which are incorporated exceptionally well. While the honey comes through with restraint, the wheat component is entirely unnoticeable. Tannic oak adds to the drying impression on the finish.

[M] Medium body with a dry, tannic texture - probably thinned out a little by the high ABV. (My bottle lists 11.5% instead of BA's current listing of 12%.)

[O] Bourbon Berry Grove is an impressive Wheatwine and it improves in aroma and flavor with each rise in degree. By the end of the bottle - approaching room temperature - this beer was highly enjoyable. A better mouthfeel would have increased my rating tremendously. Well done Brad.

Bourbon Berry Grove from Jackie O's Pub & Brewery