Mystic Mama - Jackie O's Pub & Brewery

Mystic MamaMystic Mama

Jackie O's Pub & Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

(Beer added by: boatshoes on 02-15-2010)

3.77/5  rDev -4.3%

3.79/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes. Poured from 12 oz. can into a Russian River pint glass.

A: Pours a medium copper with significant haze. Forms just under a half-finger of eggshell head with good retention.

S: Resin, tropical fruit, floral and citrus rind hops with a bit of biscuit malt – a nice aroma, but not huge and nothing mind blowing.

T: Perhaps a bit of a letdown here. Citrus rind hops and biscuit malts up front, with some fruity orange, floral and resinous hop character to follow. A mild caramel aspect develops to the malt flavor as the beer warms a bit. A touch of spice hops shows up near the end along with the lingering bitterness.

M: Body is a bit heavier than some IPAs. Good carbonation and minimal alcohol presence.

O: Well…it's a very drinkable IPA, and one that I could see picking up on occasion if it were on shelves around here. But, in my opinion, nothing worth actively seeking out with any particular effort.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours amber and clear from the can, with a very good head.

Feel: The not quite medium body is a bit thin but with well set, medium carbonation.
Taste: Herbal and weedy hops with barely detectable bready malt; moderately bitter for style.

O: slightly above average IPA

3.41/5  rDev -13.5%

12oz can $2. This beer is extremely murky, it's still orange but it looks to by unfiltered. The head is also big but made out of large bubbles,not dense foam. Aroma is packed with hops, pine and tropical fruit. Flavor us very hoppy, more tropical fruit but also a hint of butter. Overall not bad but not sure if I'd revisit it.

2.5/5  rDev -36.5%

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

3.68/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

A huge CANQuest (TM) note of thanks to Uncle JedI and PurpleHatJoan for dropping several CANs on me durng theor recent, all too brief visit to Lancaster, PA! Let's face it, Jackie O's is near-legendary, if not full-on legendary and I do not know how long it might have taken me to get these CANs otherwise.

From the CAN: "sustainably crafted with purpose"; "brewed with copious amounts of pungent hops"; "Design by Kevin Morgan Studio Illustration by Bryn Perrott".

They have kind of an e. e. cummings vibe going with the lower case lettering, but I dig it, Daddy-O! I also dig a nice, loud Crack!, which I got from this brimful craft CAN. Now, an inverted Glug was in order to really get things shaking, resulting in not only a pseudo-cascade, but also a finger of dense, bone-white head with good retention. Color was a thick, viscous,cloudy, golden-yellow (SRM = > 5, < 7) and my old pals, Croesus, Mammon and Midas were back, all clamoring for a sip. In the meantime, I leaned in for a sniff and when they mentioned "... copious amounts of pungent hops, they weren't just whistling Dixie, brother! It smelled like they dumped a bag of dank in there. Pine was the big scent, but also tropical fruit and all of a sudden, the hops monkey jumped back up on my back and began to screech and howl! Damn. I am a self-avowed hophead and recovering hops junkie, but this was making me sweat in anticipation. I reached into the kitchen drawer and pulled out my works just before I tied off and took my first hit of the afternoon. Mouthfeel was big and soft, like a glob of hops pudding sitting on my tongue, worming its way into my taste buds like hydrofluoric acid. I dunned a previous AIPA for seeming like it had been dry-hopped to the point of saturation and beyond, and I have to say that I got the same sensation here. Too many hops for my unrefined taste. I unlooped my belt from around my arm and got a second rush, but at least the monkey had quieted down. Holy Jeez-O, man! Do they sell to just anybody over 21 y/o or do you have to know a secret handshake or password? I mean, this really caught me right between the eyes and I am no novice. Finish was gaspingly dry as I began to hear the Zephyr winds blowing across the Sahara. Whew. I suddenly feel a lay-down coming on.

Mystic Mama from Jackie O's Pub & Brewery