Oil Of Aphrodite - Jackie O's Pub & Brewery

Oil Of AphroditeOil Of Aphrodite

Jackie O's Pub & Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: wagenvolks on 09-11-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
TheDudeRules

2.2/5  rDev -47.7%

Review taken from my notes from 4-3-11. Hooked up from a generous guy named pimpmyporter. Thanks Brian.

This beer has been long sought after by me. Jackie O's in general has. I'm eager to get my piano fingers on about anything they offer. This beer specifically has been a top 10 want for me.

My trusty Darkness snifter at my side I wait for the bottle to come my way and pour it into my eager glass. Whew. This is a deep jet black pour with a chocolate color head.. Is there a Krakken living somewhere in there. You would never see it if so.

Cocoa nib on the nose. Earth tones as well. Not what I was expecting. Wow. Not at all. There is earth funk on my tongue now. Dirt, tobacco leaf, and a walnut on the finish. It's just a big mess in my mouth. Nothing taste wise works. Majorly disappointed.

So I turned my head so nobody would see the tears rolling down my cheeks. The major hype train was a chugging on this one. Sorry gang it's derailed off those tracks. Flat out drain pour for 8 guys including me. I have higher hopes for other Jackie O's offerings. I would trade this one away while you can get a small fortune for it for the rarity aspect, because taste wise it is worthless.

04-20-2011 16:39:49 | More by TheDudeRules
BarrytheBear

Wisconsin

2.36/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

2011 bottle numbered 46/348....courtesy of a trade that I know the other guy won :)

Dark brown with some splotch. Reminiscent of my baby boy's fudge smudges post Indian buffet.

Smells nutty....like squirrel shits

Okay, now seriously what the fuck? Why are these "stouts" so ridiculously tart? Weird carbonation and cherry cola. Walnuts? Sure....neat.

Low bottle count...check. Formerly interesting brewery...check. A brewery that I will never again trade for....check mate. There is nothing redeeming or worthwhile about any of these "stouts". Dark Apparition, both regular and BA, were a mess. This is no different. Messy and not good.

06-16-2013 01:27:29 | More by BarrytheBear

3.25/5  rDev -22.8%

04-13-2014 22:15:59 | More by ohiobeer29
SpeedwayJim

3.4/5  rDev -19.2%

Thanks to Rudylaw for this one. Poured from a 22oz. bottle (88/144) into Lost Abbey stemware. Reviewed from notes.

A: Standard pour yields near no head. Beer is an opaque black. Lacing is spotty and stringy with no cling but nice legs. A bit below average. Thick and viscous looking though.

S: Nose is chocolate, raspberry, yogurst sweetness, brownie, sweet molasses, and some roasted malt notes. Very rich and sweet and I really like that yogurt scent in my imperial stouts.

T: Molasses, raspberry, vanilla, chocolate, roasted malt, brownie batter and some residual booziness. Some roasted malt bitterness to balance out an overall sweet beer. Sweet brown sugar and brownie finish with an aftertaste of molasses. Just slightly above average but doesn't really stand out from others I've had.

M: Medium bodied with low carbonation. Oily and silky in the mouth and smooth going down. Finish is spicy and accented with a clean, slightly lingering finish. A bit on the thin side.

O: My first experience with Jackie O's and this beer falters on a number of levels. Appearance isn't all that and body is a touch thin. However, the yogurty flavor makes up for a lot. Worth a try but definitely not worth the hype surrounding it.

05-14-2011 14:08:06 | More by SpeedwayJim

ThePorterSorter

Missouri

3.53/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Jet black with an oily tan head. The nose is...tart (?) and chocolatey with a touch of fig. The taste is...slightly sour (?) with a strange malty aftertaste. It's definitely not smooth and drinkable and there is very little walnut at all. I'm not sure what's up with this beer, but something isn't right and I'm not sure why.

08-03-2012 23:30:06 | More by ThePorterSorter
brentk56

3.54/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottle 57 or 378 (2011 version)

Appearance: Pours pitch black with a very modest head; a quick fader that leaves mini dots around the side of the glass

Smell: Tart cherry tones waft above the chocolate and roast; nutty elements, too

Taste: The tart flavors arrive early, masking the underlying roast, chocolate and walnuts; not much flavor development, as a result

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with moderate carbonation

Overall: When you have a big sour program like Jackie O's, I am not surprised that it is hard to contain the wild yeast strains; the sourness of this beer is interesting, but not great, and certainly not what the brewer intended

10-28-2013 23:58:30 | More by brentk56
Arbitrator

3.55/5  rDev -15.7%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Thanks to nickd717.

A: Pours a nearly pitch black body with some ruby translucence at the edges. The head is... was there head? A second pour shows some frothy bubbles that vanish quickly. The beer is really leggy, though, with a coating, syrupy appearance. Hmm. Dark Lord comparisons spring to mind.

S: Nuts, roast, dark chocolate, molasses. It's really quite sweet in the nose, but I'd be lying if I said it weren't pleasant.

T: As in the taste, nuts come through very strongly, as does an initial burst of roasted grain. The mid-taste gets progressively more syrupy and conveys flavors of molasses. It's not exactly cloying, because the roast carries over and provides a nice balance, but it is very rich and thick. The finish is surprisingly clean, with nuts making their way to the forefront again. A touch of pine bitterness in the aftertaste.

M: I'm not a subscriber to the idea that imperial stouts HAVE to be rich, thick, and syrupy. If anything, I think the ones that take it too far that way (Dark Lord) are problematic in general. I think this one carries its heft well, though I was expecting more complexity for the amount of sugars found here.

D: Definitely an enjoyable beer. But like I said above, it's quite rich and syrupy, and I found myself gravitating toward some other stouts on the table that were considerably less rich, yet more complex (Bourbon Barrel Dark Apparition amongst them). Pretty hard to drink a lot of this.

12-18-2010 01:52:06 | More by Arbitrator
tewaris

3.55/5  rDev -15.7%

Imperial Stout brewed w/ walnuts

Thanks Dan!

Pours dark brown with good clarity and a cola colored head. Medium retention and lacing. Aroma is really tart, almost citric, with decent amount of coffee/roast notes typical to stouts. Taste is also a little too tart for my liking, but with a good amount of roast in there.

Brewed with walnuts? Tough to tell. Yeah, there are some nutty overtones and a walnut skin like bitterness at the end, but if I had not known, I wouldn't even fish for those aspects. Other than that, it's a fairly average Imperial Stout and pretty lackluster in the richness department. Mouthfeel is medium with high carbonation, so it drinks like a 7-8% ABV beer. Not a fan.

4, 3, 4, 3.5, 3

02-18-2012 21:28:12 | More by tewaris
barleywinefiend

Washington

3.61/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured jet black with a nice tan cap with good head retentiona nd plenty of lacing.

S: I detect a little tartness on the nose with nuts, heat, roast and chocolate

T: My inital sip was a letdown. A light astringency with sourness upfront backed up with coffee, chocolate and nuts. I really could not tell what type of nuts eventhough I knew they were walnuts. As this beer warmed it grew on me, some of the initial tartness wore off and the big roastiness came through.

M: Perhaps a wee bit overcarbonated. Very roasty, astringent at times but it did provide a lot of flavor to the mouth and palate

O: Good but not great.

07-08-2013 17:19:24 | More by barleywinefiend
kbutler1

3.63/5  rDev -13.8%

Bottle courtesy of mothman. Very dark brown/black color with a slight tan head that forms a tiny collar around the glass. Dark roasty coffee notes in the nose with touches of black licorice. Medium/heavy mouthfeel with only slight carbonation. Big and chewy. Sweet roasted malt flavor gives way to bitter roast. Some bitter dark chocolate flavors as well. I don't really pick up too much nut flavor in the taste or in the nose. A pretty rich beer. Ends with a lingering bitterness that isn't all that pleasant, similiar to burnt coffee. Overall, glad to try this one but slightly put off by some of the flavors.

10-10-2010 23:39:34 | More by kbutler1
Knapp85

3.63/5  rDev -13.8%

This beer poured out as a black color with a thin brown head on top. The smell of the beer was decent, it had a bunch of roasted notes to it with some light nuts in the mix. The taste of the beer seemed like most other stouts. There might have been some hints of walnut in there but nothing too impressive to me. The mouthfeel of the beer was smooth with a little bit of an oily texture to it. Overall I'm glad I tried it but I wouldn't have to seek it out again.

02-06-2012 20:20:19 | More by Knapp85
maximum12

3.65/5  rDev -13.3%

Great thanks to thethrone for hand-delivering this, amongst other good-looking & -tasting brews, at Darkness Day as part of an off-the-reservation BIF. Split with my wife.

Pours dark black with minimal, almost no frosting. Smell is nailed - walnuts. Really. Had plenty of beers that hinted at nuts, but nothing like this. Wow.

Oil of Aphrodite is what a nut brown ale should be. Nuts, nuts, nuts. Candied sweetness, bitter, bitter chocolates complement the nuts. Roast, too. Hopping bitterness slurves in at the end. Creamy smooth, warm.

Good beer. Massively original, but the walnutting lends this such a bizarre air that I find myself puzzled with almost every sip. Wild.

12-19-2010 05:27:38 | More by maximum12
zhanson88

3.7/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

This was from the first bottling of this beer I believe. Bottle 166/192.

Appearance: Pours pitch black in the glass, very viscous. About 1/2" of dark tan head forms which has pretty nice retention and limited lacing.

Smell: Very roasty smell, with some coffee and dark chocolate present. Very pungent stout smells here, nothing meek at all about it. Not necessarily the most integrated, well put together smell though.

Taste: Roast, coffee and dark chocolate mix together pretty nicely. Bitter coffee and slight nuttiness intermingle on the finish. This isn't short on flavor, but not the best put together stout.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Mouthfeel is thick, viscous and smooth. Nice. Overall I'm not sure what I was expecting from this beer, but it certainly wasn't this. It definitely has some nice flavors and is not short on boldness. Could meld together better but worth a try for sure if you get the chance.

07-11-2012 03:13:48 | More by zhanson88