Oil Of Aphrodite - Jackie O's Pub & Brewery

Jackie O's Pub & Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 09-11-2010

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 498 | Reviews: 117

2.29/5  rDev -45.6%

Review taken from my notes from 4-3-11. Hooked up from a generous guy named pimpmyporter. Thanks Brian.

This beer has been long sought after by me. Jackie O's in general has. I'm eager to get my piano fingers on about anything they offer. This beer specifically has been a top 10 want for me.

My trusty Darkness snifter at my side I wait for the bottle to come my way and pour it into my eager glass. Whew. This is a deep jet black pour with a chocolate color head.. Is there a Krakken living somewhere in there. You would never see it if so.

Cocoa nib on the nose. Earth tones as well. Not what I was expecting. Wow. Not at all. There is earth funk on my tongue now. Dirt, tobacco leaf, and a walnut on the finish. It's just a big mess in my mouth. Nothing taste wise works. Majorly disappointed.

So I turned my head so nobody would see the tears rolling down my cheeks. The major hype train was a chugging on this one. Sorry gang it's derailed off those tracks. Flat out drain pour for 8 guys including me. I have higher hopes for other Jackie O's offerings. I would trade this one away while you can get a small fortune for it for the rarity aspect, because taste wise it is worthless.

2.43/5  rDev -42.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

2011 bottle numbered 46/348....courtesy of a trade that I know the other guy won :)

Dark brown with some splotch. Reminiscent of my baby boy's fudge smudges post Indian buffet.

Smells nutty....like squirrel shits

Okay, now seriously what the fuck? Why are these "stouts" so ridiculously tart? Weird carbonation and cherry cola. Walnuts? Sure....neat.

Low bottle count...check. Formerly interesting brewery...check. A brewery that I will never again trade for....check mate. There is nothing redeeming or worthwhile about any of these "stouts". Dark Apparition, both regular and BA, were a mess. This is no different. Messy and not good.

3.2/5  rDev -24%

3.23/5  rDev -23.3%

Great look and smell...The taste and feel just did not match for me.

3.25/5  rDev -22.8%

3.25/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer was just okay. Nothing special. Got it in a trade and would not buy it myself.

3.41/5  rDev -19%

Thanks to Rudylaw for this one. Poured from a 22oz. bottle (88/144) into Lost Abbey stemware. Reviewed from notes.

A: Standard pour yields near no head. Beer is an opaque black. Lacing is spotty and stringy with no cling but nice legs. A bit below average. Thick and viscous looking though.

S: Nose is chocolate, raspberry, yogurst sweetness, brownie, sweet molasses, and some roasted malt notes. Very rich and sweet and I really like that yogurt scent in my imperial stouts.

T: Molasses, raspberry, vanilla, chocolate, roasted malt, brownie batter and some residual booziness. Some roasted malt bitterness to balance out an overall sweet beer. Sweet brown sugar and brownie finish with an aftertaste of molasses. Just slightly above average but doesn't really stand out from others I've had.

M: Medium bodied with low carbonation. Oily and silky in the mouth and smooth going down. Finish is spicy and accented with a clean, slightly lingering finish. A bit on the thin side.

O: My first experience with Jackie O's and this beer falters on a number of levels. Appearance isn't all that and body is a touch thin. However, the yogurty flavor makes up for a lot. Worth a try but definitely not worth the hype surrounding it.

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Oil Of Aphrodite from Jackie O's Pub & Brewery