Oil Of Aphrodite - Jackie O's Pub & Brewery

Oil Of AphroditeOil Of Aphrodite

Jackie O's Pub & Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: wagenvolks on 09-11-2010)

2.2/5  rDev -47.9%

Review taken from my notes from 4-3-11. Hooked up from a generous guy named pimpmyporter. Thanks Brian.

This beer has been long sought after by me. Jackie O's in general has. I'm eager to get my piano fingers on about anything they offer. This beer specifically has been a top 10 want for me.

My trusty Darkness snifter at my side I wait for the bottle to come my way and pour it into my eager glass. Whew. This is a deep jet black pour with a chocolate color head.. Is there a Krakken living somewhere in there. You would never see it if so.

Cocoa nib on the nose. Earth tones as well. Not what I was expecting. Wow. Not at all. There is earth funk on my tongue now. Dirt, tobacco leaf, and a walnut on the finish. It's just a big mess in my mouth. Nothing taste wise works. Majorly disappointed.

So I turned my head so nobody would see the tears rolling down my cheeks. The major hype train was a chugging on this one. Sorry gang it's derailed off those tracks. Flat out drain pour for 8 guys including me. I have higher hopes for other Jackie O's offerings. I would trade this one away while you can get a small fortune for it for the rarity aspect, because taste wise it is worthless.

2.36/5  rDev -44.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

2011 bottle numbered 46/348....courtesy of a trade that I know the other guy won :)

Dark brown with some splotch. Reminiscent of my baby boy's fudge smudges post Indian buffet.

Smells nutty....like squirrel shits

Okay, now seriously what the fuck? Why are these "stouts" so ridiculously tart? Weird carbonation and cherry cola. Walnuts? Sure....neat.

Low bottle count...check. Formerly interesting brewery...check. A brewery that I will never again trade for....check mate. There is nothing redeeming or worthwhile about any of these "stouts". Dark Apparition, both regular and BA, were a mess. This is no different. Messy and not good.

3.2/5  rDev -24.2%

3.25/5  rDev -23%

3.4/5  rDev -19.4%

Thanks to Rudylaw for this one. Poured from a 22oz. bottle (88/144) into Lost Abbey stemware. Reviewed from notes.

A: Standard pour yields near no head. Beer is an opaque black. Lacing is spotty and stringy with no cling but nice legs. A bit below average. Thick and viscous looking though.

S: Nose is chocolate, raspberry, yogurst sweetness, brownie, sweet molasses, and some roasted malt notes. Very rich and sweet and I really like that yogurt scent in my imperial stouts.

T: Molasses, raspberry, vanilla, chocolate, roasted malt, brownie batter and some residual booziness. Some roasted malt bitterness to balance out an overall sweet beer. Sweet brown sugar and brownie finish with an aftertaste of molasses. Just slightly above average but doesn't really stand out from others I've had.

M: Medium bodied with low carbonation. Oily and silky in the mouth and smooth going down. Finish is spicy and accented with a clean, slightly lingering finish. A bit on the thin side.

O: My first experience with Jackie O's and this beer falters on a number of levels. Appearance isn't all that and body is a touch thin. However, the yogurty flavor makes up for a lot. Worth a try but definitely not worth the hype surrounding it.

3.54/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottle 57 or 378 (2011 version)

Appearance: Pours pitch black with a very modest head; a quick fader that leaves mini dots around the side of the glass

Smell: Tart cherry tones waft above the chocolate and roast; nutty elements, too

Taste: The tart flavors arrive early, masking the underlying roast, chocolate and walnuts; not much flavor development, as a result

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with moderate carbonation

Overall: When you have a big sour program like Jackie O's, I am not surprised that it is hard to contain the wild yeast strains; the sourness of this beer is interesting, but not great, and certainly not what the brewer intended

3.55/5  rDev -15.9%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Thanks to nickd717.

A: Pours a nearly pitch black body with some ruby translucence at the edges. The head is... was there head? A second pour shows some frothy bubbles that vanish quickly. The beer is really leggy, though, with a coating, syrupy appearance. Hmm. Dark Lord comparisons spring to mind.

S: Nuts, roast, dark chocolate, molasses. It's really quite sweet in the nose, but I'd be lying if I said it weren't pleasant.

T: As in the taste, nuts come through very strongly, as does an initial burst of roasted grain. The mid-taste gets progressively more syrupy and conveys flavors of molasses. It's not exactly cloying, because the roast carries over and provides a nice balance, but it is very rich and thick. The finish is surprisingly clean, with nuts making their way to the forefront again. A touch of pine bitterness in the aftertaste.

M: I'm not a subscriber to the idea that imperial stouts HAVE to be rich, thick, and syrupy. If anything, I think the ones that take it too far that way (Dark Lord) are problematic in general. I think this one carries its heft well, though I was expecting more complexity for the amount of sugars found here.

D: Definitely an enjoyable beer. But like I said above, it's quite rich and syrupy, and I found myself gravitating toward some other stouts on the table that were considerably less rich, yet more complex (Bourbon Barrel Dark Apparition amongst them). Pretty hard to drink a lot of this.

Oil Of Aphrodite from Jackie O's Pub & Brewery