Rt 33 Collaboration Porter - Jackie O's Pub & Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Jackie O's Pub & Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Porter |  9.00% ABV

This beer is an Imperial Oatmeal Chocolate Pecan Porter.

Brewed by Jackie O's in collaboration with Eric Bean of Columbus Brewing Company during Ohio Brew Week in July of 2010.

(Beer added by: TurdFurgison on 09-12-2010)

t0rin0, Oct 17, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -21.5%

birchstick, Apr 27, 2012

sideshowe, Nov 14, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -8.7%

lantern corps beer summit 2010 - day 1, oct 8/2010. Jw347 contributed this one. thanks john!

1 litre swingtop bottle.

pours nearly black wiht a hint of red at the edges. a ring of fine tan head clings to the edges of the glass and leaves a few spots of lace.

aroma is good. bittersweet and dark chocolate. some dark fruit. light alcohol. whole wheat bread and cracker. bit of biscuit. coffee with a bit of cream.

taste is nice. bittersweet and dark chocolate. more fruity than the aroma. light alcohol. whole wheat bread and cracker. bit of biscuit. oatmeal. coffee. light milky character. hint of dark fruit. earthy and a bit woody. medium-low bitterness level.

mouthfeel is good. just over medium body. medium carbonation level.

drinkability is good. good balance. nice complexity. a bit fruity, but tasty.

grub, Feb 04, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

On tap at the Anniversary Extravaganza.

Pours a very dark brown bordering on black. Thin tan head to start, eventually falling into a thin cap without any real lacing. The nose is nice and fairly intense with a good dose of chocolate, roast, coffee, and some sweetness. Faint Nutty character in the background, though I don't know if I could have detected it without having read about this brew.

The taste is quite similar to the nose, though not quite as complex or well-integrated. Chocolate is the dominant note for me, with the other flavors blending in the background. Mouthfeel is really nice and smooth with good carbonation. Drinks well and I'm looking forward to my bottle of the barrel-aged version.

Thorpe429, Dec 17, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

Had on tap at Jackie O's....Deep black with not much carbonation, still good looking...The aroma is sublime with a great combination of coffee, light chocolate, and some really sweet bourbon notes. We were confused for awhile between the Rt 33 and BA Rt 33 because the RT 33 has a lot more bourbon and smooth notes to it, then the one that was actually barrel aged. This weirdness totally goes into the taste as well. The non ba version is so much more smooth with better bourbony notes..The taste is excellent, great bourbon as already mentioned with nuts and coffee.

This was for sure was one of the highlights of the night, drink this one then try the ba version and wonder?

jrallen34, Dec 12, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Jackie O's-Columbus Brewing Rt 33 Collaborative Porter on tap at Bodega in Columbus, Ohio.

Appearance: Brownish black, dark chocolate color. Thick appearance, no lacing, no head.

Smell: Very light, some roastiness and dairy. Nutty aromas.

Taste: This beer wins in the taste department. Like a liquid gourmet chocolate bar! Sweetness too, and some oak. Complex but well-balanced!

Mouthfeel: Like the smell, light. Low carbonation, medium body. A little watery for a 9% brew but just fine. Coats the mouth and lips nicely. Good viscosity despite the thin body.

Drinkability: Very high! Goes down easy, doesn't burn or fill you up too much. You won't notice the ABV at first, but it hits eventually.

This beer is described as an "Imperial Oatmeal Chocolate Pecan Porter" (!?). Whatever this is, I loved it and am very happy I tried it. Cheers to Ohio brewers collaborating!

DoubleSimcoe, Sep 29, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +8%

Appearance: Arrives with a fudge brown color and a nice head that leaves some lacing behind

Smell: Oatmeal chocolate chip cookie

Taste: Chocolate, up front, with sweet malt, nut and oatmeal flavors developing through mid-palate; after the swallow, the finish emphasizes the sweeter elements

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied with moderate to high carbonation

Drinkability: Fantastic; love the cookie elements of this beer

brentk56, Sep 16, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +1%

Growler purchased for me by MbpBugeye at the Jackie O's Barrel Aged Beer Fest and bottle release last Saturday. Thanks Seth!

I'll preface by saying that the fact that this is from a growler some of the appearance and mouthfeel may have suffered a little, but I hold that the beer itself is in general very low on the carbonation and weak in the mouthfeel.

Pours thick black with mahogany twinges with a tall coffee head. I had to pour from some height to attain a decent head, but it was worth it; thick and viscous, pillowy and with good staying power, all with decent legs of lace to follow. With the tall pour I got a head of about 4 fingers, with a normal pour the head was less than 1/2 an inch.

Smells very malty and of rich milk chocolate. There's some fruitiness, maybe dark ripe cherries, and lots of toasted bready malts. Some vanilla and wood shine through in the end. I can also smell the alcohol. Overall very sweet, but with lots of nice complexity.

The flavor profile is built upon a solid foundation of sweet, silky oats. Lots of bittersweet chocolate, burnt malts, and mildly nutty. After my second glass I was tasting mostly super sweet chocolate and vanilla, and after more than half of the growler gone, I am starting to taste more dry nuttiness. I can't specifically claim to taste pecan, but it is nicely dry and nutty like a pecan or walnut. This beer is definitely slightly boozy, but very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is almost watery... I know that porters are much thinner than stouts anyways, but this one was really getting to me for a while. As I got further into the growler it didn't bother me quite so much, but I've left my rating from day 1 still, because this is a beer that most people will only get to try once as it's a limited one-time release.

The beer is certainly lacking in body (despite the oats), but it is also still silky smooth and sticky sweet. I've struggled with the sweetness as far as drinkability goes... but I've decided to leave my first instinct at a 4 for drinkability; I've been happy to go back for seconds each night since I cracked the growler. I'm happy to have bought the growler, and would be pleased to find out that this made its way into an annual tradition or something.

So in the end: well-done CBC and Jackie O's! I'm reaching for my third glass as I submit this review!

Spider889, Sep 15, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

I had this on tap at the Jackie O's barrel aged fest, 4oz pour. It sounds like this was a collaboration with Columbus Brewing, and named after Route 33 (which links Athens and Columbus). The release notice called this an Imperial Oatmeal Chocolate Pecan Porter, wow!

This pours a dark brown color, a little translucent at the edges when held to a light, with a thin tan foam. The pecans come through in the aroma, not unlike the black walnuts in the Oil of Aphrodite I had prior to this beer. The addition of pecans is really nice, a toasted aroma that compliments the light cocoa and roasted malts.

This tastes really good, a solid porter which maybe comes across more like a stout. Very rich, a little sweet but maybe tilting more towards the roasty side (not to the point of bitterness though). The pecans are noticeable but not strong, just supporting the robust porter flavors.

It was a little thinner than I'd like as a match for all the flavor, but it's a porter after all so I guess that's appropriate. It's still got a creamy mouthfeel, possibly due to the oatmeal. In any case that probably adds to the drinkability, and as nice as this tastes I think I could drink a lot of it.

TurdFurgison, Sep 12, 2010