Single Hop Citra - Jackie O's Pub & Brewery

Ohio, United States

American Blonde Ale |  3.80% ABV

Style: Golden ale
ABV: 3.8%
Notes: The first of a series showcasing a single hop for flavor and aroma purposes. This one uses Citra Hops. All beers in the series will use Willamette for bittering.

(Beer added by: Spider889 on 11-02-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by ne0m00re:
ne0m00re

4.28/5  rDev +38.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

11/01/10- Had this one on-tap at Bodega. NOT an IPA, FYI.
A: Hazy yellow, with a very nice CREAMY head.
S: Lemony citrus hops with a bit of resin, what and pale malts, overall, very creamy and very inviting.
T: Creamy and almost buttery (in creamy mouthfeel) followed by a slow metallic lemony bitterness that lingers on green hops, Delicious corn and creaminess.
M: Creamy fades to metallic.
D: Good.
Did I have the same beer as those others? This is a solid TRUE session ale. Wow! A great mouthfeel, excellent delicate use of ingredients... overall, it comes off as a nice citrusy cream ale. Stands up with the big 7% guns.

11-22-2010 05:26:29 | More by ne0m00re
Ryan011235

3.15/5  rDev +1.9%

On tap in a pint glass at Bodega on 11/3/10

Very light color; pale golden yellow. Odd for an IPA; maybe not so much for a golden ale. 1/4th inch white head with ok retention.

Dank Citra hop aroma; no surprise, right? Grapefruit, lemon, pineapple & tangerine. Bright upfront with deeper undertones. Just a nuanced hint of toasted malt. Great, hoppy nose.

Eh, the taste stalls where the aroma excels. It's quite bitter & really dry. As with the nose appreciable malts are modest at best - supportive, toasted notes. All of this is fine, but it's lacking vibrant hop flavor to round it out. Some grapefruit rind & orange peel move in toward the finish.

Light body. Carbonation is frisky enough, accenting the bitterness. Chalky, crushed aspirin feel, especially on the finish.

There are some aspects I like & some that I don't. To its benefit, the astringency does wear down a bit as it warms. The price is reasonable, if nothing else ($4 a pint, or $2 during happy hour). I had no problem drinking either of the two pints I had.

11-08-2010 21:27:51 | More by Ryan011235
MbpBugeye

2.75/5  rDev -11%

On tap at Bodega.

The beer is a slightly hazed, pale gold. A very small head leaves only a couple partial rings of lace.

The smell its pretty awesome. Full of tropical fruits. Pineapple. Some light malts come through.

At first this tastes very good, that its until the after taste builds up. It then takes on an extremely medicinal after taste that builds with every sip.

The beer goes down easy and is very low on alcohol but the crushed aspirin finish ruins an otherwise delicious beer. I didn't finish my pint.

11-04-2010 15:22:29 | More by MbpBugeye
Spider889

2.17/5  rDev -29.8%

On tap at Bodega. Jackie O's seems to be becoming a more regular occurrence there.

I hate to admit it, but this is the first Jackie O's beer that I did not like.

Not too much info given; Bodega is more known for their selection than their knowledge in my experience. Apparently brewed solely with Citra hops. Perhaps it was something with this beer specifically, but I am glad I had the opportunity to try this. I was considering brewing an all Citra Pale Ale as my next homebrew. After this I will rethink my hop bill...

Looked very cloudy, and very very light in color. A light yellow, without knowing better, from a distance this might be mistaken for a cloudy pale wheat. Nice white foamy head with decent retention.

Smelled amazing. Citra hops are known for their aroma, and did not disappoint. Tons of fresh, juicy tropical fruit. Sweet pineapple and orange notes. My only complaint is that it was slightly one-dimensional.

Maybe Citra hops are best used as aroma only, or at least not in huge quantities, but the flavor profile was very 'off' to me. Very bitter, almost bitingly astringent and chemical/solvent-like in nature. At first it reminded me of a west coast IPA, but then on the finish it reminded me of lemon pledge. Very bitter, but not in a hoppy way. Does not taste sweet or fruity at all. Very disappointed.

Overall it was undrinkable. My wife refused to let me return it to the bar, or even leave the half-finished glass as we left. So I bit the bullet and finished my glass. Had this been in a bottle at home, it would have been a drain pour (after one final whiff, that is).

11-02-2010 06:44:50 | More by Spider889
Single Hop Citra from Jackie O's Pub & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.