Wood Ya Honey - Jackie O's Pub & Brewery

Wood Ya HoneyWood Ya Honey

Jackie O's Pub & Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Wheatwine |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 12-06-2010)
Reviews by ne0m00re:
4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

Live review of a 22 oz bottle marked 60/180, 2011 batch.
A: Clear reddish brown with an OK cream head that dies to a collar.
S: Barrel--woody with some booze--with fresh honey, apricot and tangerine fruitiness, coffee cake sweetness.
T: Coffee cake (caramel with some bready character, not especially sweet), honey, bourbon, citrus fruit. Nice.
M: Thicker, but not necessarily very carbonated, which is nice for the style. It kind of sticks on your teeth and ends crisp with the alcohol.
O: Interesting take on a honey wheat wine.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

Many thanks to Urbancaver for snagging an extra bottle during the most recent release. Bottle 164/180.

Pours a dark amber with a fleeting head into my New Belgium globe.

Smells of astringent bourbon, tree bark, some slight raisin/grape but not overly sweet.

I get a moderate amount of bourbon, and to be honest, there's not a whole lot else going on. The bourbon is not overpowering, I just pick up mild notes of honey and sweetish malt.

Mouthfeel is thin, a little too thin. Definitely couldn't tell this was 12%. There is carbonation but I like my Barley/Wheatwines to be a little thicker to stand up to the bourbon.

My first Jackie O's beer...a little sad since I'm *only* 3 hours away. I have a cherry version to try still, though I was a tad underwhelmed by this offering. Still, I like what they're doing and would love to make it out that way at some point.

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

22 ounce bottle, 2010 batch, #142 of 276 bought at Jackie O's. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a dark copper/brown color with about a half inch tan head that went away quickly. There's a decent amount of lacing left on the glass. The brew smells like honey, bourbon, vanilla, caramel and oak. It's a nice, sweet boozy aroma. It tastes like bourbon, oak, honey, oak, and a little bit of grainy malt (wheat). However, the taste isn't as sweet as I thought it would be. I think the boozy bourbon and oak is stronger in the taste compared to the sweet honey and vanilla flavors, however the sweetness does get stronger as the beer warms up more. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit slick and creamy with low/moderate carbonation. Drinkability is OK enough, but I don't think I would want to drink much more than a bomber of this at a time. I think this is a good overall brew, I'd definitely try this again.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours murky reddish brown. Small off-white head fading into nothing. A bit of lacing.

Loads of honey in the aroma. Bready caramel, oak and bourbon as well as a tanginess from wheat.

Best taste descriptor I can come up with is honey wheat bread. Loads of bready malts again with large amounts of honey are prevalent. A bit of bourbon cuts the sweetness and is well integrated. Charred dark fruits complement the main flavors. All very well integrated.

Medium mouthfeel with medium low carbonation.

Overall probably the best wheatwine I've had. All flavors are integrated well and the bourbon balances out the sweetness to create a delectable treat. Jackie O's again is one of the most underrated brewers around.

splashing down into the glass with a very hazy thud. Lots of carbonation here as well kept the whole thing alive and kicking with a two inch layer of white foam that quickly faded down to leave a bare top.

The aroma was full of spices and wheat, very musty with a deep down and earthy note to it lots of sweetness to it as well, quite nicely done i have to admit. I was picking up lots of rye type smells, hints of grass and a touch of grapes. Translated over the taste very well. Very rich wheat flavor. Lots of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. There were touches of almost musty pepper or something, hard to place, but very full and very difficult to fully grasp the flavor. Nice hot streak of alcohol running through it as well.

3.1/5  rDev -26%

I had this during a tasting this weekend. Poured into my Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a clear mahogany with a layer of off white head that fades quickly to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Sweet and extremely oaky. Just a bit fruity from the honey and malt. The main smell is fresh oak.

Taste: Just like the smell, there is a large oak presence here. The oak is almost herbal. Sweet malt but not quite enough to back up the other flavors. There is some bourbon in the finish.

Mouthfeel: The body is thick and syrupy with a tingle of carbonation. The finish is warm from the alcohol and also quite dry.

Overall: There is a ton of oak from the barrel in this one. The taste reminds me of virgin oak, but there is bourbon in this one as well. Quite interesting, but it could have used some more body to back it up.

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

Bottled 2010, bottle 147/276

Appearance - A very rich and red honey color. Looks very sweet and more like a wine than a beer. Average lacing with no froth on the top. Looks very sweet and malty.

Smell - Very, very sweet. Smells like wine and honey. Hints of light cherry. You get that slight bourbon burn in the nose as well. Smells bitter and sweet.

Taste - Tastes like a honeycomb wine. I was very surprised by this. I was expecting this to be one my least favorite Jackie O's beers; but it turned out to be one my favorites. I prefer this over "Bee keeper", which I had at the pub. A very crisp honey wine. Slight toffee. Slight honey and wheat.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - Slightly bitter; but very crisp and sweet. Filled with flavors of honey and toffee. Medium bodied. I constantly crave more of it. I'm glad I was able to pick up the last bottle of this at a local store in Athens.

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

2010 bottle.

Pours a nice caramel/amber color with a small sliver of off-white head; leaves some decent lacing when you quaff the liquid a little.

The aromas begin with very well integrated light bourbon barrel, tons of dark clover honey and caramel. As it warms you can pick up a little of the base wheat maltiness, more caramel and some emerging vanilla.

The flavor isn't quite as complex; the sweet barrel flavors are up in front with solid caramel, toffee and light vanilla notes. A little boozy but not too offensive for my tastes. I am surprised but the amount of honey they were able to pack into this beer despite the solid bourbon barrel presence. Light herbal notes emerge too which I am attributing to the honey.

The mouthfeel is medium to heavy bodied with lower levels of carbonation. I feel a little bit more would have made the flavor pop and feel less like drinking a honey flavored bourbon. Finish is quite sweet and mildly boozy.

Overall I enjoyed this more than the Kentucky Monk I sampled last year but the flavor profile was still a little too bourbon forward. It is hard to age a beer 100% in barrels when it is not a RIS or a barleywine, which I why I enjoyed the Bruery's White Oak more, because it was only partially barrel-aged. Recommended for those that like their Barrel aged beer more barrel heavy, but not for those that do not.

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

4 oz. sampler at JO's 6th Anniversary. I made damn good review notes, but then I lost them. Bear with me on this. This is the base for Bourbon Berry Grove, which is one of my favorite JO's brews.

4.0 A: Dark amber color. Came with just a touch of creamy beige head.

4.5 S/ 4.5 T: Wonderful nose on this! Both incredibly fruity and spicy. Fruitiness comes in the form of overripened apple, strawberry, peach, and maybe even some cherry. The honey acts to strengethen the fruitiness. Surpringly a lot of peppery spiciness in this with supplementary generic spice. It's hard to tell whether the yeast, the bourbon, or a combo made this as spicy as it is. Bourbon adds that last layer of complexity with leather, plenty of earth, a light vanilla, and woodiness.

4.0 M: Heavier medium body. Good almost spritzy carbonation. I just wish it was a little thicker and creamier.

4.5 D: One hell of a beer. I'm always amazed how Brad manages to throw so many things together and have the result be as good as it is instead of just a huge mess.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

3.93/5  rDev -6.2%

On tap at the Jackie O's 5th Anniversary Extravaganza. Served in a tulip.

Pours a nice caramel-amber color with a limited head and a touch of lacing. There is a bit of a collar on the edges, though not much on the sides of the glass. The nose brings some light bourbon, vanilla, and oak along with some nice dark honey and caramel.

The flavor isn't quite as complex or interactive, and was slightly too sweet for me. Nevertheless, I'd have to see that this is certainly one of the better wheatwines that I have tasted. There were some nice caramel and bourbon notes there, and a good level of honey. Perhaps the best thing the taste had going for it was how well the finish accentuated what was there with the barrel character becoming more prevalent.

In the end, this was a fairly-interesting brew that I enjoyed, but didn't get too much of. I liked having a few ounces, but wouldn't want that much more.

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

A - Dark brown beer with a with some purple on the edges. Large beige head that dissipated and left some decent lace on the sides.

S - Has a nice dose of bourbon on top of the wheatwine with a bit of oak and some good honey.

T - Great honey and bourbon on top of the wheatwine backbone. Not really sure what else to say on this one, if you like honey and bourbon this is great.

M - Pretty full bodied with a porper dose of carbonation.

O - Good beer. I liked the honey and the bourbon was great as well. Even manages to not get too sweet. Good stuff.

Wood Ya Honey from Jackie O's Pub & Brewery