Wood Ya Honey - Jackie O's Pub & Brewery

Ohio, United States

Wheatwine |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 12-06-2010

Reviews by rye726:

Enjoyed with great friend's at a Jackie O's tasting. Pours a reddish brown with a tan head. Nose has bourbon, oak, vanilla, honey and sweet malts. Bit on the sweet side, needs some time to mellow out. Nice full body is well carbonated. Finish lacking. Tasty barrel aged wheat wine. Once again, nice work Jackie O's! (315 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

3.8/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pleasant aromas of bourbon and honey. Taste is the same with a lingering sweet finish. Although I enjoyed this wheatwine and found it easy to drink for an 11% beer. I couldn't escape the feeling that the high score for this beer is based on reputation rather than drinking experience. (284 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

4.43/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Tastes like someone melted a bit-o-honey into a flat triple jack-n-coke. In a really good way (93 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Pretty solid not a lot to it honey and bourbon but works well (61 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Many thanks to Urbancaver for snagging an extra bottle during the most recent release. Bottle 164/180.

Pours a dark amber with a fleeting head into my New Belgium globe.

Smells of astringent bourbon, tree bark, some slight raisin/grape but not overly sweet.

I get a moderate amount of bourbon, and to be honest, there's not a whole lot else going on. The bourbon is not overpowering, I just pick up mild notes of honey and sweetish malt.

Mouthfeel is thin, a little too thin. Definitely couldn't tell this was 12%. There is carbonation but I like my Barley/Wheatwines to be a little thicker to stand up to the bourbon.

My first Jackie O's beer...a little sad since I'm *only* 3 hours away. I have a cherry version to try still, though I was a tad underwhelmed by this offering. Still, I like what they're doing and would love to make it out that way at some point. (871 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

4.07/5  rDev +1.2%

22 ounce bottle, 2010 batch, #142 of 276 bought at Jackie O's. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a dark copper/brown color with about a half inch tan head that went away quickly. There's a decent amount of lacing left on the glass. The brew smells like honey, bourbon, vanilla, caramel and oak. It's a nice, sweet boozy aroma. It tastes like bourbon, oak, honey, oak, and a little bit of grainy malt (wheat). However, the taste isn't as sweet as I thought it would be. I think the boozy bourbon and oak is stronger in the taste compared to the sweet honey and vanilla flavors, however the sweetness does get stronger as the beer warms up more. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit slick and creamy with low/moderate carbonation. Drinkability is OK enough, but I don't think I would want to drink much more than a bomber of this at a time. I think this is a good overall brew, I'd definitely try this again. (908 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

4.44/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours murky reddish brown. Small off-white head fading into nothing. A bit of lacing.

Loads of honey in the aroma. Bready caramel, oak and bourbon as well as a tanginess from wheat.

Best taste descriptor I can come up with is honey wheat bread. Loads of bready malts again with large amounts of honey are prevalent. A bit of bourbon cuts the sweetness and is well integrated. Charred dark fruits complement the main flavors. All very well integrated.

Medium mouthfeel with medium low carbonation.

Overall probably the best wheatwine I've had. All flavors are integrated well and the bourbon balances out the sweetness to create a delectable treat. Jackie O's again is one of the most underrated brewers around. (714 characters)

splashing down into the glass with a very hazy thud. Lots of carbonation here as well kept the whole thing alive and kicking with a two inch layer of white foam that quickly faded down to leave a bare top.

The aroma was full of spices and wheat, very musty with a deep down and earthy note to it lots of sweetness to it as well, quite nicely done i have to admit. I was picking up lots of rye type smells, hints of grass and a touch of grapes. Translated over the taste very well. Very rich wheat flavor. Lots of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. There were touches of almost musty pepper or something, hard to place, but very full and very difficult to fully grasp the flavor. Nice hot streak of alcohol running through it as well. (730 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.11/5  rDev -22.6%

I had this during a tasting this weekend. Poured into my Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a clear mahogany with a layer of off white head that fades quickly to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Sweet and extremely oaky. Just a bit fruity from the honey and malt. The main smell is fresh oak.

Taste: Just like the smell, there is a large oak presence here. The oak is almost herbal. Sweet malt but not quite enough to back up the other flavors. There is some bourbon in the finish.

Mouthfeel: The body is thick and syrupy with a tingle of carbonation. The finish is warm from the alcohol and also quite dry.

Overall: There is a ton of oak from the barrel in this one. The taste reminds me of virgin oak, but there is bourbon in this one as well. Quite interesting, but it could have used some more body to back it up. (831 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

Bottled 2010, bottle 147/276

Appearance - A very rich and red honey color. Looks very sweet and more like a wine than a beer. Average lacing with no froth on the top. Looks very sweet and malty.

Smell - Very, very sweet. Smells like wine and honey. Hints of light cherry. You get that slight bourbon burn in the nose as well. Smells bitter and sweet.

Taste - Tastes like a honeycomb wine. I was very surprised by this. I was expecting this to be one my least favorite Jackie O's beers; but it turned out to be one my favorites. I prefer this over "Bee keeper", which I had at the pub. A very crisp honey wine. Slight toffee. Slight honey and wheat.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - Slightly bitter; but very crisp and sweet. Filled with flavors of honey and toffee. Medium bodied. I constantly crave more of it. I'm glad I was able to pick up the last bottle of this at a local store in Athens. (892 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +0.5%

2010 bottle.

Pours a nice caramel/amber color with a small sliver of off-white head; leaves some decent lacing when you quaff the liquid a little.

The aromas begin with very well integrated light bourbon barrel, tons of dark clover honey and caramel. As it warms you can pick up a little of the base wheat maltiness, more caramel and some emerging vanilla.

The flavor isn't quite as complex; the sweet barrel flavors are up in front with solid caramel, toffee and light vanilla notes. A little boozy but not too offensive for my tastes. I am surprised but the amount of honey they were able to pack into this beer despite the solid bourbon barrel presence. Light herbal notes emerge too which I am attributing to the honey.

The mouthfeel is medium to heavy bodied with lower levels of carbonation. I feel a little bit more would have made the flavor pop and feel less like drinking a honey flavored bourbon. Finish is quite sweet and mildly boozy.

Overall I enjoyed this more than the Kentucky Monk I sampled last year but the flavor profile was still a little too bourbon forward. It is hard to age a beer 100% in barrels when it is not a RIS or a barleywine, which I why I enjoyed the Bruery's White Oak more, because it was only partially barrel-aged. Recommended for those that like their Barrel aged beer more barrel heavy, but not for those that do not. (1,367 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +10%

4 oz. sampler at JO's 6th Anniversary. I made damn good review notes, but then I lost them. Bear with me on this. This is the base for Bourbon Berry Grove, which is one of my favorite JO's brews.

4.0 A: Dark amber color. Came with just a touch of creamy beige head.

4.5 S/ 4.5 T: Wonderful nose on this! Both incredibly fruity and spicy. Fruitiness comes in the form of overripened apple, strawberry, peach, and maybe even some cherry. The honey acts to strengethen the fruitiness. Surpringly a lot of peppery spiciness in this with supplementary generic spice. It's hard to tell whether the yeast, the bourbon, or a combo made this as spicy as it is. Bourbon adds that last layer of complexity with leather, plenty of earth, a light vanilla, and woodiness.

4.0 M: Heavier medium body. Good almost spritzy carbonation. I just wish it was a little thicker and creamier.

4.5 D: One hell of a beer. I'm always amazed how Brad manages to throw so many things together and have the result be as good as it is instead of just a huge mess. (1,036 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +1.7%

Live review of a 22 oz bottle marked 60/180, 2011 batch.
A: Clear reddish brown with an OK cream head that dies to a collar.
S: Barrel--woody with some booze--with fresh honey, apricot and tangerine fruitiness, coffee cake sweetness.
T: Coffee cake (caramel with some bready character, not especially sweet), honey, bourbon, citrus fruit. Nice.
M: Thicker, but not necessarily very carbonated, which is nice for the style. It kind of sticks on your teeth and ends crisp with the alcohol.
O: Interesting take on a honey wheat wine. (530 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Wood Ya Honey from Jackie O's Pub & Brewery