2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Quincedence - Jackie O's Pub & Brewery

QuincedenceQuincedence

good

Jackie O's Pub & Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Wild Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 01-04-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 58 | Reviews: 35 | Show All Ratings:
Spider889

4.5/5  rDev +20%

This was possibly the beer I most looked forward to at the latest release. I pegged it as the dark horse; the description just sounded too interesting, but awkward enough that the hype train seemed to more or less leave it alone.

Little did they know that this was the clear winner of the day - easily the best of the three new bottle releases last weekend, and possibly my favorite Jackie O's beer to date.

At first glance this looked nearly identical to the various DA treatments being served Saturday. It's dark, nearly black from a distance. When you actually pick up the glass and examine it, you can see that it is a charred brown color instead. It had very minimal, but very dark, head to it - the head was a deep toffee color. Sadly my tiny 4oz glass was too small to check out any potential lace.

So, how's it smell? All I have to say is wow, this beer is a definite sour, and I was really pleased to discover that my hopes had come to fruition here. Deep and complex, tendrils of sour plum and light white wine vinegar waft my way. Green skins and an almost maple sweetness also weave in and out between the heavy handed brett. If you try hard mild smoke and roasted barley are not far behind.

The flavor begins with a nice puckering sourness. There's some acidity akin to white grapes and green plums. The sourness leans closer to the green apple side, with the steady but mild sweetness you'd get from pears. I can honestly say I haven't ever eaten a Quince, so I'll just assume that they taste similar to an apple or pear.

The base beer is a scotch ale, and this really comes through as well - there's a heavy-handed maltiness to this beer that surprised me, given how sour it is. My experience with sours is limited to lighter brews, so a malt-driven beast of a base beer was quite unexpected. I am not sure if this is a good or bad thing though. Take away some of the darker malts and suddenly the Quincedence might lose much of its appeal, however, I personally found the dark malting to be a little much, and ultimately detracting from the other amazing qualities of this one. The malt is bitter and dry, with notes of chocolate and smoked barley, and even a little coffee as well.

This is one case where the high carbonation was very appropriate; as the bubbles helped to speed forth the aroma and rush the many subtleties of the beer across your palate. The alcohol is warming in the throat, but not inappropriate in any way. As was the case with many of the Jackie O's beers of the day, this beer was dry, dry, dry. But with a sour that is somewhat expected, so I didn't mind nearly as much as with some of the other brews.

I found this to be very drinkable, and the only beer I truly wanted to drink multiples of at the release (granted I was aiming to sample as many beers as possible).

Very well-done Brad. All the hype-fanatics out there need to pay attention to this beer, it's a true gem, and a worthy sour to have in any cellar.

02-11-2011 09:25:56 | More by Spider889
DavoleBomb

4.45/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip. 2011 vintage, bottle #96 of 204.

4.5 A: Opaque plum color. Two fingers of thick creamy beige head with good retention and glass covering lacing.

4.5 S: There's an unbelievable amount of aromas comming off of this. Every step of the process comes through with varying strength. The lightest aromas of those of the Scottish ale. There's just a touch of caramel and peat, but it adds to the totality of the brew. Cabernet is a bit stronger with vanillins and tannins making similar contributions. The strange fruitiness, which must come from the quince (I have no idea what these even look like aside from the pic on the label) works great with the vinous grape aroma. The quince aroma can't really be described with other fruits, but I'd say it's something between a pear and a dirty diaper. Some brett funk and some tart lactic component, but not overwhelming.

4.5 T: The base beer is much more apparent in the taste. The caramel, peat, and breadiness comes through much stronger. Less vinous character than the nose, but more tannic astringency, vanilla, and oak. Quince and wild apple fruitiness with the apple being of the funky brett variety. Mildly tart, but far from a straight up sour. A lot more funky than the nose with musky basement and rotting wood joining the wild apple. This has a moderate "Jackie O's" flavor in it. Alcohol is undetectable.

4.0 M: Medium body. Carbonation is on the higher end, but works really well. Reasonably creamy and quite smooth for what it is.

4.5 D: This is a very tasty beer now, but I think this will be insanely good in a few years after the bugs have more time to develop. Never tasted a quince before, but it seems like they have a place in the beer world.

04-11-2011 22:55:19 | More by DavoleBomb
ottovon

Arizona

4.4/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

shared by whiterascal.

A: pours out a dark-amber with almost no head.

S: I get a lot of cab aromas and vinous notes. there is caramel and some smoke, and hints of bread. there is a bit of acid and some sweet fruit aromas. there is also molasses and toffee.

T: i get carmel and toffee. some roasted malt and oak. There is definite vinous qualities. i get some smoke and a bit of leather from the cab. there is acid and some earthy qualities. there is some citrus flavors and then it finishes dry and bitter.

M: it is dry, but still has a nice medium body with decent carb.

O: a great beer. I wish we had more.

06-21-2011 03:58:01 | More by ottovon
Thorpe429

4.38/5  rDev +16.8%

Big thanks to Brad for setting me up with a bottle of this.

Pours a pretty dark brown color with a good single-finger off-white head and a touch of lacing on the way down. Thin collar around the edges of my tulip. The nose hits me pretty strong right away. I've only had quince once, but it certainly did a number on this beer. The Cabernet barrels are present there as well. Really nice acidity--mostly lactic but a bit of a light acetic presence in the finish. Everything integrates quite well. The quince contribution is a bit difficult to define, but you'll know it when you smell it.

The same is true of the taste, which is equally as nice and intriguing. Lovely fruit mixes with Cabernet and the barrel. The fruit presence is at the right level, providing a touch of sweetness to balance the acidity and really complements the fruit flavor. Really nice sour character in this brew and the barrel comes out well. I really enjoyed this beer and am excited for the bottle release. At the same time, the quince component is certainly unique and I'm sure one's appreciation of this beer really depends on how agreeable you are with the quince. Thanks again, Brad.

01-04-2011 02:37:26 | More by Thorpe429
drabmuh

Maryland

4.33/5  rDev +15.5%

An awesome oddity shared by Thorpe the other day. This beer reminded me of a mix between consecration and supplication in the acidity and fruit presence.

Beer is dark brown and hazy with a thin head of off white bubbles that forms a halo around the rim of the glass, carbonation is relatively low and there isn't much lacing.

Aroma is strong with some acetic brightness, citric fruitiness, and a lactic backbone, this is going to be super sour isn't it?

Beer is quite sour, the fruit (quince) is really bright on the palate and ends with this cherry like tartness at the corners of the mouth, it's a pretty good beer. The mild acetic character to it makes it even better. It brightens the flavors of the quince and moves them further back on the palate. I suspect that this is a relatively high alcohol sour but I would definitely have more of it.

01-05-2011 18:27:05 | More by drabmuh
MbpBugeye

4.33/5  rDev +15.5%

On tap at Jackie O's the day of its release. This is my favorite one of said release. I guess the joke is on all the hype hunters who dont wanna trade for this one. Once again, the coffeevanillaoakimperialstoutblendbourbons win out.

A- Its looks were a sight for sore eyes when served up along side all the stouts of the day. It is still pretty dark, but more of a brownish red than black. It lets light through in areas, creating bright crimsons in the highlights.

S- The part Cabernet barrels play is found in the nose right off the bat. Acidic red grapes with a little bit of a vinegary bend to them jump out. Some citrusy stuff adds to the fruity bouquet. The lactic sourness clears a path for an oaky base that brings a little bit a funk along for the ride.

T- Yep, this one is good. Bracingly sour at first, it has my glands in a panic. After I wiped the drool from my mouth and gave my saliva glands a chance to calm down it wasnt so sour. This beer does carry a few wine-like characteristics over from the barrels but it is largely unique to both the beer and wine worlds. Oak, tannins and acidic grapes are familiar flavors but are very second to the interesting profile of these Quince fruits. They impart a slew of familiar fruity flavors. Mostly along the lines of pear and apple skins.

M- The body is hawkishly dry. I was beginning to grow weary of all the dry finishing beers of the day but it is a very appropriate quality for Quincedence. Carbonation is also good for a barrel aged sour with just enough prickles to accent the tartness.

D- My favorite of the whole release and one of Jackie O's best. I cant wait to get after my bottle of it.

02-09-2011 23:04:36 | More by MbpBugeye
ne0m00re

4.3/5  rDev +14.7%

04/02/11- Had this one on-tap at Jackie O's "one funky afternoon."
A: Very dark brown with light brown hues and a decent cream collar with lacing.
S: Cherry, intense pear, brown sugar, slight milk chocolate, and overall rustic. Awesome.
T: Pear, cranberry, white wine, brown sugar, raisins, and a bitter sour apple core finish. Good.
M: Frothy, thinner, and dry.
O: Really good. This is probably my favorite JO's American wild. Had this one on tap a few times and in bottles and I'm consistently impressed.

04-04-2011 01:08:51 | More by ne0m00re
Phelps

Arizona

4.3/5  rDev +14.7%

Shared by whiterascal. Bottle #28 of 204 (delicious rarity!) poured into a snifter.

Quincedence has a virtual novel written on the bottle that explains its pedigree, but here’s the gist: it began life as a Scottish ale, then is was aged for a time in cabernet barrels. Some Brettanomyces and 20 pounds of the mysterious quince3 fruit was added, and lo and behold, Quincedence was born.

Deep cola brown in color, with just a bit of clarity. A one-finger head of fizzy cream pops away within seconds to a thin ring.

Great, complex aroma: butter, toffee, caramel, a light brett funk and a bit of sweet earthy citrus I expect is the fruit.

More funkiness in the flavor, met by sweet fruit. Oaky vanilla, smoky peat, red wine, a nice amount of chocolate, caramel, toffee and tart citrus. Earthy dryness moves in at the finish. Very complex.

Medium body with light carbonation and moderate fizziness as it moves. The alcohol burn is astounding, in that it doesn’t exist. 9.5 percent and I can’t feel a thing.

It’s no coincidence that I like Quincedence — the beer is wonderfully complex and drinkable. I’ve never had the fruit it’s named after before, but I’m inspired to go get one.

05-19-2011 18:59:07 | More by Phelps
mikereaser

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%

This was reviewed blind as part of the Blind Beer BIF #5

#7 from johnbjaeger

A - Pours a nice deep chestnut brown with ruby highlights when held up to the light with 1/2 inch of off-white foam that quickly faded leaving a bit of lacing on the glass

S - The aroma is really nice, i'm picking up alot of freshly picked fruit, a bit of apple, a bit of orange with some caramel sweetness thrown in to round it out. Really nice aroma and really unexpected by the appearance

T - Again, the taste is totally unexpected. I was expecting alot of malts, but instead I find myself faced with some sort of brown ale maybe aged with fruit or something else thats giving it a slightly sour feel with a nice oaky tannin taste. Theres more going on but I can't place it.

M - slight puckering rounds out this beer nicely, all the flavors balance nicely and even the sour doesn't take over the feel.

D - Its easy to drink, though it could become cloying by the end of the 22oz. bottle.

I really have no clue what this could be, maybe a sour brown?

holy shit! Jackie O's Quincedence Well this is one I never expected and I have to say it was very enjoyable. According to the label, there is a hell of alot that went into this beer and it makes it hard to pick out all of it. Maybe its time to put down the laptop and finish off this tasty treat.

3.5/4/4.5/4.5/4

05-28-2011 06:58:18 | More by mikereaser
Mississipping

Mississippi

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%

A: Pours a ruddy brown color with pronounced amber highlights when held to light.  The small off-white head rises and falls rather quickly, leaving a decent amount of lacing behind.  Nice, albeit somewhat unexpected presentation.

S: Really interesting and complex aroma.  The cabernet barrel qualities are pretty pronounced.  Vinous, slightly sour fruit, some oak and vanilla.  It really smells fantastic but there are qualities that I'm unable to pinpoint, I suppose due to my unfamiliarity with the quince fruit.  Nice malty backbone that carry some caramel and brown sugar.

T: Malty up front with a slight doughy breadiness.  Caramel, vanilla, and oak meld well in the forefront.  Barrel characteristic are less pronounced in the flavor, however, there is still ample grape skins and oak.  Pear (probably quince) and green apple are much more subtle. There is a nice tartness that provides a nice balance to the malty sweetness up front.

M: Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.  The carb level was really nice for this beer, almost matching the prickly fruitiness of the beer and helping bring out some of the subtleties that may not have been noticed otherwise.  It starts out slightly sweet and ends pretty dry with the tartness lingering after each sip.

D: This bottle was split about eight ways, so I didn't have a whole lot to drink, but what I had was really enjoyable and easy to drink.  I could have easily finished the bottle myself if I hadn't been at a tasting and would have enjoyed every sip of it.  Sweet, tart, fruity, slightly funky, juicy, and dry.  Delicious!

This was one of approximately 18 bottles at the tasting, which represented a wide variety of styles, but this was among the top two of the night.  I had this at the release back in February and remember it standing out there, too, but the additional age has done it very well.  I'm glad I have one more bottle to keep in the cellar for another year or so to allow it to develop even more!

10-11-2011 04:26:01 | More by Mississipping
Tripphop

4.2/5  rDev +12%

On tap at the 4/2 release party. The sour has mellowed out a lot and is better integrated than the last time I had in in February. The color on this one is funny, a brownish haze with light edges, almost a yellowish tint. Smell is of funky exotic fruit. Very tropical and enticing. Taste is awesome, great tart fruit and mellow chocoaltey base. The sour flavors in this one are very cool and match up nicely with the dark malts. What is a Quince anyway?

04-08-2011 14:49:06 | More by Tripphop
johnbjaeger

4.18/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have never had a quince, which somewhat limits my ability to rate this sucker's faithfulness, but I will do what I can. It pours pretty and smells like it tastes: complicated. Complicated like a David Lynch storyline - dark, definitely sexy, weirder than it is sexy and, in the end, moderately baffling.

It is definitely sour, and despite other reviews, I don't find it overly sweet at all. The base beer definitely lends a soft kick to the balls over thinner brethren. It does kind of taste like burned apples, which may be the quince coming out. It leaves a really nice lingering taste on the tongue, though, which coaxes the brain to keep going back to the glass. I could personally drink a full bomber of this, but it is probably better that I don't.

03-06-2011 21:56:59 | More by johnbjaeger
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.03/5  rDev +7.5%

poured into a snifter and enjoyed on 7/1/2011

pours out a dark murky brown, for some reason i was expecting more of a light color, but very nice look to it with good lacing and a prominant head on top.

First whiff seems a bit light to be honest, light funk, sour notes, pears, and hints of malts starting to come though. No alcohol present at all and the sour seems very understated at this point. The forst sip totally redeems it though as the sour fruits and oak notes start to perk up. Nice touches of grapeskins, sour, sour grapefruit like flavors rip through the palate. Dark fruits, prunes, hints of vanilla and light notes of brown sugar can be picked up through the haze of barnyard funk. Rich medium body is more then well carbonated and really lets the flavor pop across the palate. Final sips are dy, vinegar rich and full of apple and pear back flavors. i am guessing the apples and pears are the quince? no clue but it tasted damn nice and was much sweeter then i thought it would be.

not a home run but a decent hit for jackie for sure.

07-02-2011 01:40:15 | More by mikesgroove
AwYeh

4.03/5  rDev +7.5%

Bottle shared courtesy of my good friend Jesse13713 who I attended the original bottle release with; unsure of the bottle number but I'll update if I can figure it out. Reviewed from two sets of notes.

A: The most noticeable thing about this beer is its large, tan, frothy head, standing atop a maroon-tinged deep brown body. Really great looking beer, very unique while keeping everything in great proportion with another.

S: Sweet and sour tangy flavors are all over the place. I've never eaten anything with quince in it that I can remember, but growing up we had a quince tree in our backyard, and the flavors here are distinctly reminiscent of the times I snuck tastes of the quinces from that tree.

T: Very powerful, tangy fermented fruit taste shows up first with a sharp caramel sweetness following. Lots of plum and oak flavors; I was very impressed with the balance. The finish is very long and sour, quite enjoyable.

M: Very dry and sharp; lightly carbonated. Honestly, mouthfeel is good here, but since it doesn't detract from the beer at all, it's hardly an accessory with the strong flavor that Quincedence offers.

O: This is a good and strong sour. The two glasses of it that I've had didn't seem particularly diverse from sip to sip, but that didn't detract from its greatness as a beer. If you're at Jackie O's and they have it around again, or if you're lucky enough to have a bottle, I highly recommend it.

01-03-2012 08:33:08 | More by AwYeh
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

Bottle shared by Thorpe429 and Amyliz4. Thanks Mike and Amy!

A: The beer appears dark brown with crimson highlights. The head is light beige, about a half inch thick, has good retention, and leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

S: The aroma is unique. Sour, funky, odd, boozy, fruity, wild - it's definitely intriguing and has piqued my curiosity.

T: The beer is quite piquant. Again, the flavor is unlike any other I have yet found in a beer, and thus, a bit challenging to accurately describe. Surely, the quince fruit is largely responsible for these unusual flavors. The beer has a nice tannic quality to it, as well as an oak aroma and taste from the barrels. There is a healthy level of sourness / funkiness that, along with the wine, quince, and oak barrel, make for a beer with deep complexities.

M: Boozy and sour, funky and odd. Medium bodied, with appropriate carbonation.

D: What an interesting and memorable beer. Well worth a try.

01-04-2011 17:00:38 | More by Huhzubendah
brew3crew

On tap at jackie o's

A- dark brown to black with almost no head.
S-can really smell the cabernet wine barrels
T-the sourness is more than I expected. Wine barrelling really shows. My palate isn't sophisticated as it should before this one
M-medium bodied and smooth
O-very good and a lot more sour thzn I was expecting

04-02-2011 02:22:31 | More by brew3crew
Urbancaver

3.98/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a murky reddish brown. Not much head. A thin ring of white bubbles clinging to the side of the glass but relatively flat. Smells very tart and sour. A nice hint of sweetness. On the tongue there is a touch of woody oak but mostly a sharp sour tart that melds nicely with the fruitiness. I have never had quince fruit but i have to assume that's the light fruity taste im getting. The tartness is well balanced with the base beer. Overall. Vry tsty

04-02-2011 03:27:52 | More by Urbancaver
Slatetank

3.95/5  rDev +5.3%

Thanks to Stakem for bringing this to my wild ale tasting yesterday. Poured from the chilled 22oz into a tulip.

The color is deep ruddy brown w/ translucent clarity and small beige cap which is made up of tightly packed bubbles and spotty lace clings to the glasss. The smell is unique as the fruit that is used in the brew -very vinous yet earty with a slight toasted element from the dark malts and hints of the wine barrel giving off some slight sour aromas. The feel is good with a nice amount of carbonation, yet it has a very dry and astringent quality which makes it hard to consume in large swallows. The roasted tinges are there in the texture along with mellow fruity tanginess.

The taste is certainly the strangest thing I have had recently with all of the components : scotch ale, wine barrel and quince combined to make a real frankenstein of a beer. The flavor is slight toasted and earthy like a scottish ale with the mild smoke notes and light cocoa effect, yet there is some wine tannin in the taste and odd tropical yet bitter quince flavors in the background giving a real odd, not quite unbalanced, yet slightly disjointed taste. I enjoy it at the same time it is an anomoly. The drinkability is both good and off I could definitely finish a bomber myself, but it is good for sharing. I think if you dislike the flavor of quince you won't enjoy this. I really like quince even though a little goes a long way.

02-14-2011 23:19:16 | More by Slatetank
AgentZero

3.95/5  rDev +5.3%

A - Dark brown colored beer with an off-white head that had some moderate lacing.

S - Really interesting nose on this, which I'm assuming is due to the quince. Bit of an earthy barrel nose with some vinous notes and a light, sweet fruity aroma that I found pretty appealing. Some peat, funk, and sour notes as well. Complex.

T - Peaty and tannic on the front, with a rush of sweet fruit flavor which once again I will guess is the quince. Some interesting malt notes. I actually liked this a lot more than most in my tasting group, and think it might get better with some time.

M - Decently carbonated, medium bodied.

O - I kind of like this, there is a big fruit rush at the end, and the base beer is interesting. Apparently it's somewhat polarizing, I'd be curious to see what this one does in a couple years.

05-04-2011 21:00:41 | More by AgentZero
stakem

3.93/5  rDev +4.8%

Bottle #75/204 secured at Jackie O's release and shared with friends.

This brew pours a deep ruby brown color with pretty decent clarity when held to the light. A tan cap of foam appears and as it slowly recedes leaves a webbing of lace on the glass.

The aroma of this brew is toasty with notes of caramel mixed with oak. There is a vinous aspect that mixes with a funky note. A light amount of vanilla sweetness coupled with a light metallic twang note emerges. This brew has an interesting nose, it is deep and complex but doesn't totally meld well together, it is somewhat haphazard and like I am smelling a different offering each time I bring my nose to the glass.

The taste of this brew is tangy and a bit sharp with a contrasting modest bitterness that is lightly acidic yet enjoyable. The funky portion of this brew coupled with metallic notes and seemingly smoked base create a bit of a flavor that I perceive as being quite plastic-like. More sips create a deeper flavoring of minerals and light smoked character. Once this brew comes up to temperature, the smoked aspect of this brews malt really comes forward.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. Bubbly in the feel and easy drinking. Not overly sour so it is fairly easy to approach but the vast contrasts in flavors make this brew quite peculiar. I had no problems finishing my portion and reaching for more but this really is strange and quite a unique offering to wrap your tongue around. I'd love to see Brad revisit something like this but with a different base beer, the smoked malt coupled with bitter fruit and funk was a bit too different.

02-15-2011 18:49:00 | More by stakem
akorsak

3.9/5  rDev +4%

A scotch ale base, aged in wine barrels, funked up with quince added. What the hell is quince? Bottle 95 of 204, thanks to stakem.

A: The ale is a dark chocolately color, like a good scotch ale should be. A thin head accompanied the ale, quickly disappearing.

S: The tannic dryness is immediately evident. Scotch bodies, malty and rich, are fleeting in the nose (they come through fully in the taste). Sour notes follow the wine barrel, along with a fruity sweetness.

T: An interesting melange of flavors. The tannic flavors, incredibly dry, are strong, sapping any residual sweetness (pre-fruit). Behind the wine, a peated scotch ale emerges, chewy and rich. That base beer aspect is fleeting, yielding to a mild fruit sweetness. The funkiness conspires with the tannins to further dry out the body, adding a dirty citric taste. Interesting, no doubt about it. I'm not entirely sold on darker sour beers, the juxtaposition just seems inappropriate.

M: The mouthfeel is sweet and sour, an unusual pairing of wine barrel, funk, and fruit. The scotch ale that appears mid-sip is a highlight.

D: I believe that the beer weighs in around 9%, a big heavy beer that packs a great deal of complexity into bomber.

02-14-2011 01:45:50 | More by akorsak
earthboundagain

Colorado

3.9/5  rDev +4%

Ok we have a muddy looking black brew with red highlights. The head was not really there, but I do se a few spots of lace. The nose is quite different, we have wine barrel mixed with a sweet funk. Ok the taste is definitely stronger then the nose. The wine barrel oakiness hits first followed bye a sour funk that flows into a light fruitiness. The beer is on a medium body with enough bubbles to get the job done.

Very unique brew, I would love to taste a bottle of this in say 2015.

04-02-2011 20:01:35 | More by earthboundagain
waltersrj

Washington

3.8/5  rDev +1.3%

Bottle pour thanks to johndoe8! Bottle# 175/204

Pour: Cola brown with hints of golden hue and an off white, densely foamy head around an inch high.

Nose: Fresh apple, cherries, caramel, vanilla, oak tannins, slight red wine vinous notes and Brett.

Taste: Cherries, apple, vinous red wine, drying grass, Brett yeast, oak, vanilla, caramel (from the Scoth ale) and lemon on the end. Really fantastic and complex.

Mouthfeel: Creamy at first with a great dry finish...almost a musty finish which I really like and fits this beer well.

Overall: A great surprise...Jackie O's knows what they're doing and I'm really excited to try some more!

06-20-2011 00:47:16 | More by waltersrj
oline73

Maryland

3.68/5  rDev -1.9%

We had this at a tasting hosted by finewinemike. He also provided this bottle. Poured into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown that had a red tint at the edges. There is a layer of light tan head and a decent amount of retention.

Smell: Sweet malt with some fruit and a mildly sour vinegar like note.

Taste: This beer is very interesting. A bit smokey with some malt sweetness and mild fruit. There is a good amount of sourness, but the finish was a bit muddles and confusing for me.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I thought some of the flavors in this beer clashed a bit. Very interesting and not bad, just a bit weird. Really cool to get to try this.

10-24-2011 01:28:31 | More by oline73
starrdogg

District of Columbia

3.58/5  rDev -4.5%

Thanks to BZero007 for picking this up for me at the Jackie O's release.

Beer pours a dark brown with hints of red and hard to see through. The smell is much more roasty than I expected, the roasted malt stands out while there are hints of wine lurking in there as well. The taste is sour and tannin-y, but the scotch ale base really dominates and takes over the flavor, especially in the finish. There's a chocolate maltiness that really stands out, it has all of the components of a very good beer, but they don't quite come together as I had hoped. The mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side, I honestly think this beer could've benefited from a little more body.

Overall I had high hopes for this beer, but it fell a little short of them. I think Jackie O's is onto something with a sour scotch ale, but the strong malt profile of the beer just takes over here and the sourness falls by the wayside. This beer would be outstanding if the fruit and sour were a little more forward and the maltiness a little more subdued.

03-19-2011 02:08:04 | More by starrdogg