Quincedence - Jackie O's Pub & Brewery

Ohio, United States

American Wild Ale |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 01-04-2011

2.63/5  rDev -29.9%

Chilled bottle into a glass, opened to celebrate my defense. Thanks, Ted.

A: Pours a cola brown body. It's dark in the center, but translucent at the edges. It has a beige head with poor retention.

S: It's tart and vinous -- specifically, cabernet or merlot. The red grape aroma is unmistakable.

T: Cabernet manifests itself up front, lending a vinous note to the whole flavor. It carries a light tartness, as well. Mild vanilla and some oak. I pick up hints of caramel and toffee, but the base beer is otherwise quite well hidden. I don't really know what quince tastes like, but there is a key-lime like flavor and some tannic bitterness that reminds me of old apple skins (this pulls into the finish). The wild yeast doesn't seem to have done much to the beer yet; it has a way to go to dry out, and the finish has maybe light hints of funk, and that's only because I'm searching for it.

M: The brett seems like it hasn't had time to do its work. The wine barrel is the most expressive, along with perhaps the fruit, which I can't really tell because I don't know what quince tastes like. The bitterness in the finish is clashing.

D: To be 100% honest (and maybe cynical), the label description reads like a series of one-up attempts to cover up an infection. Overall, I feel like the base beer was poorly chosen, and it is obliterated by the barrel, fruit, and brett treatments. I didn't hate it, but I was pretty meh about it.

4.17/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have never had a quince, which somewhat limits my ability to rate this sucker's faithfulness, but I will do what I can. It pours pretty and smells like it tastes: complicated. Complicated like a David Lynch storyline - dark, definitely sexy, weirder than it is sexy and, in the end, moderately baffling.

It is definitely sour, and despite other reviews, I don't find it overly sweet at all. The base beer definitely lends a soft kick to the balls over thinner brethren. It does kind of taste like burned apples, which may be the quince coming out. It leaves a really nice lingering taste on the tongue, though, which coaxes the brain to keep going back to the glass. I could personally drink a full bomber of this, but it is probably better that I don't.

3.93/5  rDev +4.8%

Bottle #75/204 secured at Jackie O's release and shared with friends.

This brew pours a deep ruby brown color with pretty decent clarity when held to the light. A tan cap of foam appears and as it slowly recedes leaves a webbing of lace on the glass.

The aroma of this brew is toasty with notes of caramel mixed with oak. There is a vinous aspect that mixes with a funky note. A light amount of vanilla sweetness coupled with a light metallic twang note emerges. This brew has an interesting nose, it is deep and complex but doesn't totally meld well together, it is somewhat haphazard and like I am smelling a different offering each time I bring my nose to the glass.

The taste of this brew is tangy and a bit sharp with a contrasting modest bitterness that is lightly acidic yet enjoyable. The funky portion of this brew coupled with metallic notes and seemingly smoked base create a bit of a flavor that I perceive as being quite plastic-like. More sips create a deeper flavoring of minerals and light smoked character. Once this brew comes up to temperature, the smoked aspect of this brews malt really comes forward.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. Bubbly in the feel and easy drinking. Not overly sour so it is fairly easy to approach but the vast contrasts in flavors make this brew quite peculiar. I had no problems finishing my portion and reaching for more but this really is strange and quite a unique offering to wrap your tongue around. I'd love to see Brad revisit something like this but with a different base beer, the smoked malt coupled with bitter fruit and funk was a bit too different.

3.18/5  rDev -15.2%

Had on tap at the release party at the pub.

A-pours a dark cola brown with little to no tan colored head.

S-the nose is of sweet green apple and a touch of pear, light bretty undertones but faint, there are some sweet dark malts and notes of dry oak.

T-this is very sweet almost cloying. oaky and brett up front with golden fruits and lots of sugary flavors. sweet dark malts from the base beer are lightly evident in the back and a hint of sourness but faint.

M-medium body and slightly griany on the palate with a very dry finish.

D-overly sweet and messy. te sweet malts of the scottishand the sugars of the fruit make it so sugary, the sourness is very light and the brett isn't vibrant. this is drinkable as the fruits are interesting but all the sugar detracts from overall quality.

3.95/5  rDev +5.3%

Thanks to Stakem for bringing this to my wild ale tasting yesterday. Poured from the chilled 22oz into a tulip.

The color is deep ruddy brown w/ translucent clarity and small beige cap which is made up of tightly packed bubbles and spotty lace clings to the glasss. The smell is unique as the fruit that is used in the brew -very vinous yet earty with a slight toasted element from the dark malts and hints of the wine barrel giving off some slight sour aromas. The feel is good with a nice amount of carbonation, yet it has a very dry and astringent quality which makes it hard to consume in large swallows. The roasted tinges are there in the texture along with mellow fruity tanginess.

The taste is certainly the strangest thing I have had recently with all of the components : scotch ale, wine barrel and quince combined to make a real frankenstein of a beer. The flavor is slight toasted and earthy like a scottish ale with the mild smoke notes and light cocoa effect, yet there is some wine tannin in the taste and odd tropical yet bitter quince flavors in the background giving a real odd, not quite unbalanced, yet slightly disjointed taste. I enjoy it at the same time it is an anomoly. The drinkability is both good and off I could definitely finish a bomber myself, but it is good for sharing. I think if you dislike the flavor of quince you won't enjoy this. I really like quince even though a little goes a long way.

3.9/5  rDev +4%

A scotch ale base, aged in wine barrels, funked up with quince added. What the hell is quince? Bottle 95 of 204, thanks to stakem.

A: The ale is a dark chocolately color, like a good scotch ale should be. A thin head accompanied the ale, quickly disappearing.

S: The tannic dryness is immediately evident. Scotch bodies, malty and rich, are fleeting in the nose (they come through fully in the taste). Sour notes follow the wine barrel, along with a fruity sweetness.

T: An interesting melange of flavors. The tannic flavors, incredibly dry, are strong, sapping any residual sweetness (pre-fruit). Behind the wine, a peated scotch ale emerges, chewy and rich. That base beer aspect is fleeting, yielding to a mild fruit sweetness. The funkiness conspires with the tannins to further dry out the body, adding a dirty citric taste. Interesting, no doubt about it. I'm not entirely sold on darker sour beers, the juxtaposition just seems inappropriate.

M: The mouthfeel is sweet and sour, an unusual pairing of wine barrel, funk, and fruit. The scotch ale that appears mid-sip is a highlight.

D: I believe that the beer weighs in around 9%, a big heavy beer that packs a great deal of complexity into bomber.

4.49/5  rDev +19.7%

This was possibly the beer I most looked forward to at the latest release. I pegged it as the dark horse; the description just sounded too interesting, but awkward enough that the hype train seemed to more or less leave it alone.

Little did they know that this was the clear winner of the day - easily the best of the three new bottle releases last weekend, and possibly my favorite Jackie O's beer to date.

At first glance this looked nearly identical to the various DA treatments being served Saturday. It's dark, nearly black from a distance. When you actually pick up the glass and examine it, you can see that it is a charred brown color instead. It had very minimal, but very dark, head to it - the head was a deep toffee color. Sadly my tiny 4oz glass was too small to check out any potential lace.

So, how's it smell? All I have to say is wow, this beer is a definite sour, and I was really pleased to discover that my hopes had come to fruition here. Deep and complex, tendrils of sour plum and light white wine vinegar waft my way. Green skins and an almost maple sweetness also weave in and out between the heavy handed brett. If you try hard mild smoke and roasted barley are not far behind.

The flavor begins with a nice puckering sourness. There's some acidity akin to white grapes and green plums. The sourness leans closer to the green apple side, with the steady but mild sweetness you'd get from pears. I can honestly say I haven't ever eaten a Quince, so I'll just assume that they taste similar to an apple or pear.

The base beer is a scotch ale, and this really comes through as well - there's a heavy-handed maltiness to this beer that surprised me, given how sour it is. My experience with sours is limited to lighter brews, so a malt-driven beast of a base beer was quite unexpected. I am not sure if this is a good or bad thing though. Take away some of the darker malts and suddenly the Quincedence might lose much of its appeal, however, I personally found the dark malting to be a little much, and ultimately detracting from the other amazing qualities of this one. The malt is bitter and dry, with notes of chocolate and smoked barley, and even a little coffee as well.

This is one case where the high carbonation was very appropriate; as the bubbles helped to speed forth the aroma and rush the many subtleties of the beer across your palate. The alcohol is warming in the throat, but not inappropriate in any way. As was the case with many of the Jackie O's beers of the day, this beer was dry, dry, dry. But with a sour that is somewhat expected, so I didn't mind nearly as much as with some of the other brews.

I found this to be very drinkable, and the only beer I truly wanted to drink multiples of at the release (granted I was aiming to sample as many beers as possible).

Very well-done Brad. All the hype-fanatics out there need to pay attention to this beer, it's a true gem, and a worthy sour to have in any cellar.

4.3/5  rDev +14.7%

On tap at Jackie O's the day of its release. This is my favorite one of said release. I guess the joke is on all the hype hunters who dont wanna trade for this one. Once again, the coffeevanillaoakimperialstoutblendbourbons win out.

A- Its looks were a sight for sore eyes when served up along side all the stouts of the day. It is still pretty dark, but more of a brownish red than black. It lets light through in areas, creating bright crimsons in the highlights.

S- The part Cabernet barrels play is found in the nose right off the bat. Acidic red grapes with a little bit of a vinegary bend to them jump out. Some citrusy stuff adds to the fruity bouquet. The lactic sourness clears a path for an oaky base that brings a little bit a funk along for the ride.

T- Yep, this one is good. Bracingly sour at first, it has my glands in a panic. After I wiped the drool from my mouth and gave my saliva glands a chance to calm down it wasnt so sour. This beer does carry a few wine-like characteristics over from the barrels but it is largely unique to both the beer and wine worlds. Oak, tannins and acidic grapes are familiar flavors but are very second to the interesting profile of these Quince fruits. They impart a slew of familiar fruity flavors. Mostly along the lines of pear and apple skins.

M- The body is hawkishly dry. I was beginning to grow weary of all the dry finishing beers of the day but it is a very appropriate quality for Quincedence. Carbonation is also good for a barrel aged sour with just enough prickles to accent the tartness.

D- My favorite of the whole release and one of Jackie O's best. I cant wait to get after my bottle of it.

4.32/5  rDev +15.2%

An awesome oddity shared by Thorpe the other day. This beer reminded me of a mix between consecration and supplication in the acidity and fruit presence.

Beer is dark brown and hazy with a thin head of off white bubbles that forms a halo around the rim of the glass, carbonation is relatively low and there isn't much lacing.

Aroma is strong with some acetic brightness, citric fruitiness, and a lactic backbone, this is going to be super sour isn't it?

Beer is quite sour, the fruit (quince) is really bright on the palate and ends with this cherry like tartness at the corners of the mouth, it's a pretty good beer. The mild acetic character to it makes it even better. It brightens the flavors of the quince and moves them further back on the palate. I suspect that this is a relatively high alcohol sour but I would definitely have more of it.

4.02/5  rDev +7.2%

Bottle shared by Thorpe429 and Amyliz4. Thanks Mike and Amy!

A: The beer appears dark brown with crimson highlights. The head is light beige, about a half inch thick, has good retention, and leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

S: The aroma is unique. Sour, funky, odd, boozy, fruity, wild - it's definitely intriguing and has piqued my curiosity.

T: The beer is quite piquant. Again, the flavor is unlike any other I have yet found in a beer, and thus, a bit challenging to accurately describe. Surely, the quince fruit is largely responsible for these unusual flavors. The beer has a nice tannic quality to it, as well as an oak aroma and taste from the barrels. There is a healthy level of sourness / funkiness that, along with the wine, quince, and oak barrel, make for a beer with deep complexities.

M: Boozy and sour, funky and odd. Medium bodied, with appropriate carbonation.

D: What an interesting and memorable beer. Well worth a try.

4.37/5  rDev +16.5%

Big thanks to Brad for setting me up with a bottle of this.

Pours a pretty dark brown color with a good single-finger off-white head and a touch of lacing on the way down. Thin collar around the edges of my tulip. The nose hits me pretty strong right away. I've only had quince once, but it certainly did a number on this beer. The Cabernet barrels are present there as well. Really nice acidity--mostly lactic but a bit of a light acetic presence in the finish. Everything integrates quite well. The quince contribution is a bit difficult to define, but you'll know it when you smell it.

The same is true of the taste, which is equally as nice and intriguing. Lovely fruit mixes with Cabernet and the barrel. The fruit presence is at the right level, providing a touch of sweetness to balance the acidity and really complements the fruit flavor. Really nice sour character in this brew and the barrel comes out well. I really enjoyed this beer and am excited for the bottle release. At the same time, the quince component is certainly unique and I'm sure one's appreciation of this beer really depends on how agreeable you are with the quince. Thanks again, Brad.

Quincedence from Jackie O's Pub & Brewery