Dark Apparition - Kopi Luwak Bourbon Barrel - Jackie O's Pub & Brewery

Dark Apparition - Kopi Luwak Bourbon BarrelDark Apparition - Kopi Luwak Bourbon Barrel

Jackie O's Pub & Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Spider889 on 02-05-2011)
Reviews by hdelavega:
4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

From notes. Poured from a growler this black brew kicked up a pretty thick dark tan head that left nice lacing all the way down. The aroma is heavy on roasty notes, tuns of coffee and roasted malt. Nice vanilla and bourbon to. I get sweet malt flavors right up front with some mild sweet dark fruit with bitter coffee in the finish. The taste of this one really surprised me, I was expecting way more coffe, the nose was pretty misleading. Medium body, light carbonation, nice coating. Overall a very enjoyable brew, I would have enjoyed more coffee in the flavor but I guess those little monkey cats can only poop so much.

hdelavega, Jan 16, 2012
3.85/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle (2012)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, Thorpe429!

Black as can be. Shiny and substantial. Small dark brown head. Leaves the glass very messy. This is a gorgeous imperial stout. I suppose I've had thicker ones, or ones that are more striking, but this is a very gorgeous beer.

There's lots of acidic, earthy, sharp Kopi Luwak coffee character, along with miscellaneous char and roast, and earthy, bittersweet chocolate. Some oak as well. As the beer warms, good amounts of vanilla/bourbon notes emerge. Nice.

A very nice combination of oak, acidic and earthy coffee, and layers of chocolate. Low bitterness. As with the aroma, there isn't a lot of bourbon-barrel character here. I'm not complaining. This is tasty.

Full body with low carbonation. Appropriate.

Very, very tasty, though I expected more barrel character and less coffee. That being said, I'm certainly not complaining. The aroma is incredible and the taste is better than average.

ehammond1, May 11, 2013

Thanks to jh1982 for breaking this out during March Madness.

Pours very dark, brown head, decent lace. Big coffee and bourbon aroma.

Bitterness, licorice, heavy alcohol feel on the palate. Heavy roasted coffee and chocolate malt. Would like to try the non barrel aged version of this, as the alcohol heat, while not bad at 10.5%, I thought took away from the base beer, but can't really know without trying it, but this one just seemed a little too dominated by the barrel. Just didn't get as much of the coffee aspect as I would like.

A good beer, just not quite getting into the 'great' category that I've seen some offers expecting for this.

Beerandraiderfan, Apr 27, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

williamjbauer, Mar 06, 2013

acurtis, Sep 09, 2012

jh1982, Nov 27, 2011

MADPolo, Mar 10, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 vintage. Bomber #22/213. Poured into a Cigar City snifter. Shared with schen9303.

Pours like the rest of the DA series. Dark, heavy, and slick. A dark coffee head that collapses quickly. Lacing is very spotty but legs are thick and oily.

Kopi coffee hits immediately and its tremendous. Deep roast, chocolate, cocoa, and bourbon in the back. This one's actually very enticing.

Again, kopi upfront makes this one pretty one-dimensional but also pretty tremendous. Coffee, cocoa, and chocolate upfront with bourbon sweetness and a slight sweet/tartness from the base beer pushed far in the back. Ends chocolate, coffee roast, and fudge. Finishes sweet and boozy with a boozy aftertaste.

Medium bodied and again, a bit thin. Probably the one disappointing aspect of this beer since the kopi really can't assert its presence here. Slightly bubbly and smooth and hot going down. Finishes oily and slick with a lingering aftertaste.

Having had the regular, then bourbon, and now the kopi bourbon, its really amazing what kopi luwak can do to a beer. This is by far, the best in the series and one that I wouldn't hesitate to seek out again. A very solid offering.

SpeedwayJim, May 31, 2012

Photekut, Dec 04, 2011

Desaparecido, Nov 18, 2011

huskermike12, Apr 16, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

Gonzoillini, Jun 01, 2013
4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

Thanks to chswimmer for this tick.

Pours black in color with a nice well-formed tan head.

Huge great coffee aroma, earthy without too much weasel crap, with dark chocolate and roast along with mild bourbon.

Excellent flavor, big on coffee but I love it. Just a little bit of bourbon -bal aging evident. Great chocolatey notes behind that, along with roasted malts and maybe even slight spice.

Fairly full-bodied and smooth with slight charry dryness and a long finish, with medium-low carbonation.

A damn good coffee stout, although I'm a sucker for this style.

nickd717, Feb 18, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Bottle #189/300. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Just shy of inky black. No real head. A hint of transparency at the edges.

Smell - Tons of coffee. It gets a little abrasive. Not a lot of bourbon, just a touch of it. Some chocolate, but most of it is overwhelmed by coffee.

Taste - Very coffee forward. So much so that it's a little acidic. Even tangy. Again, a bit of chocolate, but all I really taste is coffee. Some bourbon, but not a lot of barrel character.

Mouthfeel - Medium body for a stout, not big enough to handle the coffee. Very acidic. Medium low carbonation.

Overall - Too much coffee and acidic flavor with not enough rich flavors from the barrel and stout to balance it out.

Alieniloquium, Jun 20, 2014

wscaffe, Mar 08, 2013
4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

Big thanks goes out to funkydelic for sharing this one! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured pitch black with minimal tan head. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, roasted malt, dark fruit, wood, passion fruit, and sweet alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, roasted malt, dark fruit, wood, and subtle sweet alcohol. It had a medium feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was a good brew. The aroma on this one was quite complex and kept my brain busy while trying to dissect it. The flavor on the other hand wasn't as impressive which was kind of a disappointment. Still good, just not awe-inspiring. Worth trying for sure though.

thagr81us, Aug 11, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

GRG1313, May 13, 2014
3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

(sampled courtesy of smokepot!! Many thanks!). This was a lucky chance meeting with Joe while at Alesmith. He very generously offered some nice brews including this one. Pours a viscous black color with a dark brown head. Aroma is rich coffee, dark chocolate and caramel. Taste was sweet malt with some light bourbon flavors. Medium bodied with an oily texture. The finish was smooth and roasty. Very nice beer and I feel lucky to have tried this.

trappistlover, Jun 24, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

kbuzz, Dec 16, 2012
3.83/5  rDev -8.4%

Bottle 7 of 213.

Blackness. Mocha head, nice sporadic lacing.

Aroma of coffee, big bourbon, oak, booze and chocolate.

Mild bourbon and oak, lots of chocolate and coco bitterness. Coffee seems to play second fiddle.

Creamy full bodied and coating.

Drink is good for what it is...biiiggg.

Naturally very good, but I think the barrel steals the show. I think a non-barrel version would really let the Kopi shine.

EgadBananas, Mar 19, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

dark as night inky black pour with a nice little tan head of about two inches that fades down into a nice layer of about an inch or so that hangs around for the remainder of the session.

nice aroma, rich cooca and coffee dominate with a nice touch of bitter and roasted malts that take over the profile very nicely. smooth, effortless flavor then wraps itself over the palate. light hints of vanilla mix in with the dark chocolate and rich roasted malts. small touch of alcohol but this fades quickly as it warms and leaves you with a nice touch of sweet vanilla and brown sugar that really compliments the cocoa and lightly hopped finish quite nicely.

mikesgroove, Jun 19, 2011

vrbulldog22, Dec 17, 2012

HopsHopenstein, Dec 10, 2013
4.39/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Staff bottle 87/300 poured into a goblet.

Pours a very dark brown with a half finger of creamy tan head that leaves a ring on top of the pour. The nose is full of dark fruit, vanilla, coffee, and dark chocolate. Lots going on here. The flavor starts off with a dark fruit sweetness. The coffee and bourbon hit the tongue hard, but it's quite smooth. There is a nice sweet undertone that reminds me of vanilla. The finish is sweet and full of the coffee. The body is slightly less thick than it should be with smooth carbonation and a dry finish.

This is a very interesting beer. I enjoyed the combination of the sweet, the coffee, and the bourbon. I'd definitely have more if I get the chance.

oline73, Jan 28, 2013
4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured into my Great Lakes Christmas Ale snifter. I picked up this bottle at the February 5th release, and decided to crack it open tonight to celebrate my 100th review! Bottle 106/213, bottled in 2011 of course.

Appearance - Right away, I notice that no head is in sight on this beer. It ended up with about an eighth of an inch of rich chocolaty foam that dissipated in a matter of seconds. The lacing on the glass is absolutely phenomenal as it elegantly clings to the glass. The liquid itself is a completely opaque black. Light is having a hard time traveling through this monster of darkness.

Smell - Perhaps the most robust beer I have ever smelled. Ethanol is slightly present in the background; but definitely isn't the star of the show. The real spotlight is on the coffee; as it should be with it being this beers main focal point. The coffee smells fresh, robust, rich and complex. The coffee note is absolutely unassailable. Chocolate then finds it way into the equation quite elegantly. Hints of dark fruits, perhaps plum, make themselves known as well. Dark malts prevail slightly over the chocolate.

Taste - The taste is unlike anything I've ever had before; partly thanks to the Kopi Luwak coffee and otherwise due to the fact that Jackie O's brews have a signature dark fruit taste to most their beers that is just absolutely delicious. I am initially greeted by a hint of dark plum that glides across my tongue. My swallowing of the beer allows it to explode elegantly into a slight ethanol taste accompanied by chocolate bliss. I then feel as if my taste buds are attacked by a happy swarm of dancing coffee bees. If that makes any sense. And they just sting me with all the right flavors of coffee. The coffee translates from nose to tongue quite well; bringing all of it's robust and bold properties with it. The bourbon notes keep themselves hidden subtly in the background and attribute to the taste delicately.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - This brew is incredibly drinkable and the most enjoyable sipping beer I've ever had the pleasure of drinking. I had many variations of Dark Apparition at the event, but ultimately passed over this one as I knew I had a bottle of it coming. I regret not trying this on-tap, but it tastes just as fresh as everything I did have on-tap at the brewery. The taste is smooth, yet bold and rich at the right times. The bourbon remains well hidden for the most part. But when it does present itself, it does so with purpose and in dignified formality.

I want to send out a huge thanks to Brad and everyone else who worked so hard at the Jackie O's brewery to make this beer, and all other variations of Kopi Luwak possible. I truly enjoyed every single beer I had at the February 5th event and I have cleared my calendar for the sours release on April 2nd. The event really got me into reviewing craft beer. I've always had an appreciation and taste for craft beer; but this event really got me interested in beer advocacy. I appreciate all of the hard work and dedication that goes into your profession.

Any one who hasn't had the chance to try a Jackie O's beer; I advise you to make it one of your top priorities. You can tell that a lot of thought and care go into every batch and beer that these guys make. I still have a Quincedence, Oil of Aphrodite, Cellar Cuvee 4, Captain Barley Heart and Joe the Plum taunting me on my shelf. I plan on saving each and every one of these for a special occasion. I enjoyed Wood Ya Honey with friends and family last week, and finally persuaded myself to open up Kopi Luwak for this special 100th beer review occasion. One final thanks to the guys and gals at Jackie O's for some of the best beer I've ever experienced.

Jesse13713, Mar 01, 2011