Dark Apparition - Kopi Luwak Bourbon Barrel - Jackie O's Pub & Brewery

Dark Apparition - Kopi Luwak Bourbon BarrelDark Apparition - Kopi Luwak Bourbon Barrel

Jackie O's Pub & Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: Spider889 on 02-05-2011

Ratings: 124 | Reviews: 54
Reviews by hdelavega:
4.15/5  rDev -1%

From notes. Poured from a growler this black brew kicked up a pretty thick dark tan head that left nice lacing all the way down. The aroma is heavy on roasty notes, tuns of coffee and roasted malt. Nice vanilla and bourbon to. I get sweet malt flavors right up front with some mild sweet dark fruit with bitter coffee in the finish. The taste of this one really surprised me, I was expecting way more coffe, the nose was pretty misleading. Medium body, light carbonation, nice coating. Overall a very enjoyable brew, I would have enjoyed more coffee in the flavor but I guess those little monkey cats can only poop so much.

3.89/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle (2012)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, Thorpe429!

Black as can be. Shiny and substantial. Small dark brown head. Leaves the glass very messy. This is a gorgeous imperial stout. I suppose I've had thicker ones, or ones that are more striking, but this is a very gorgeous beer.

There's lots of acidic, earthy, sharp Kopi Luwak coffee character, along with miscellaneous char and roast, and earthy, bittersweet chocolate. Some oak as well. As the beer warms, good amounts of vanilla/bourbon notes emerge. Nice.

A very nice combination of oak, acidic and earthy coffee, and layers of chocolate. Low bitterness. As with the aroma, there isn't a lot of bourbon-barrel character here. I'm not complaining. This is tasty.

Full body with low carbonation. Appropriate.

Very, very tasty, though I expected more barrel character and less coffee. That being said, I'm certainly not complaining. The aroma is incredible and the taste is better than average.

Thanks to jh1982 for breaking this out during March Madness.

Pours very dark, brown head, decent lace. Big coffee and bourbon aroma.

Bitterness, licorice, heavy alcohol feel on the palate. Heavy roasted coffee and chocolate malt. Would like to try the non barrel aged version of this, as the alcohol heat, while not bad at 10.5%, I thought took away from the base beer, but can't really know without trying it, but this one just seemed a little too dominated by the barrel. Just didn't get as much of the coffee aspect as I would like.

A good beer, just not quite getting into the 'great' category that I've seen some offers expecting for this.

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 vintage. Bomber #22/213. Poured into a Cigar City snifter. Shared with schen9303.

Pours like the rest of the DA series. Dark, heavy, and slick. A dark coffee head that collapses quickly. Lacing is very spotty but legs are thick and oily.

Kopi coffee hits immediately and its tremendous. Deep roast, chocolate, cocoa, and bourbon in the back. This one's actually very enticing.

Again, kopi upfront makes this one pretty one-dimensional but also pretty tremendous. Coffee, cocoa, and chocolate upfront with bourbon sweetness and a slight sweet/tartness from the base beer pushed far in the back. Ends chocolate, coffee roast, and fudge. Finishes sweet and boozy with a boozy aftertaste.

Medium bodied and again, a bit thin. Probably the one disappointing aspect of this beer since the kopi really can't assert its presence here. Slightly bubbly and smooth and hot going down. Finishes oily and slick with a lingering aftertaste.

Having had the regular, then bourbon, and now the kopi bourbon, its really amazing what kopi luwak can do to a beer. This is by far, the best in the series and one that I wouldn't hesitate to seek out again. A very solid offering.

4.28/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks to chswimmer for this tick.

Pours black in color with a nice well-formed tan head.

Huge great coffee aroma, earthy without too much weasel crap, with dark chocolate and roast along with mild bourbon.

Excellent flavor, big on coffee but I love it. Just a little bit of bourbon -bal aging evident. Great chocolatey notes behind that, along with roasted malts and maybe even slight spice.

Fairly full-bodied and smooth with slight charry dryness and a long finish, with medium-low carbonation.

A damn good coffee stout, although I'm a sucker for this style.

3.32/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Bottle #189/300. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Just shy of inky black. No real head. A hint of transparency at the edges.

Smell - Tons of coffee. It gets a little abrasive. Not a lot of bourbon, just a touch of it. Some chocolate, but most of it is overwhelmed by coffee.

Taste - Very coffee forward. So much so that it's a little acidic. Even tangy. Again, a bit of chocolate, but all I really taste is coffee. Some bourbon, but not a lot of barrel character.

Mouthfeel - Medium body for a stout, not big enough to handle the coffee. Very acidic. Medium low carbonation.

Overall - Too much coffee and acidic flavor with not enough rich flavors from the barrel and stout to balance it out.

4.07/5  rDev -2.9%

Big thanks goes out to funkydelic for sharing this one! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured pitch black with minimal tan head. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, roasted malt, dark fruit, wood, passion fruit, and sweet alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, roasted malt, dark fruit, wood, and subtle sweet alcohol. It had a medium feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was a good brew. The aroma on this one was quite complex and kept my brain busy while trying to dissect it. The flavor on the other hand wasn't as impressive which was kind of a disappointment. Still good, just not awe-inspiring. Worth trying for sure though.

3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

(sampled courtesy of smokepot!! Many thanks!). This was a lucky chance meeting with Joe while at Alesmith. He very generously offered some nice brews including this one. Pours a viscous black color with a dark brown head. Aroma is rich coffee, dark chocolate and caramel. Taste was sweet malt with some light bourbon flavors. Medium bodied with an oily texture. The finish was smooth and roasty. Very nice beer and I feel lucky to have tried this.

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

Bottle 7 of 213.

Blackness. Mocha head, nice sporadic lacing.

Aroma of coffee, big bourbon, oak, booze and chocolate.

Mild bourbon and oak, lots of chocolate and coco bitterness. Coffee seems to play second fiddle.

Creamy full bodied and coating.

Drink is good for what it is...biiiggg.

Naturally very good, but I think the barrel steals the show. I think a non-barrel version would really let the Kopi shine.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

dark as night inky black pour with a nice little tan head of about two inches that fades down into a nice layer of about an inch or so that hangs around for the remainder of the session.

nice aroma, rich cooca and coffee dominate with a nice touch of bitter and roasted malts that take over the profile very nicely. smooth, effortless flavor then wraps itself over the palate. light hints of vanilla mix in with the dark chocolate and rich roasted malts. small touch of alcohol but this fades quickly as it warms and leaves you with a nice touch of sweet vanilla and brown sugar that really compliments the cocoa and lightly hopped finish quite nicely.

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Staff bottle 87/300 poured into a goblet.

Pours a very dark brown with a half finger of creamy tan head that leaves a ring on top of the pour. The nose is full of dark fruit, vanilla, coffee, and dark chocolate. Lots going on here. The flavor starts off with a dark fruit sweetness. The coffee and bourbon hit the tongue hard, but it's quite smooth. There is a nice sweet undertone that reminds me of vanilla. The finish is sweet and full of the coffee. The body is slightly less thick than it should be with smooth carbonation and a dry finish.

This is a very interesting beer. I enjoyed the combination of the sweet, the coffee, and the bourbon. I'd definitely have more if I get the chance.

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured into my Great Lakes Christmas Ale snifter. I picked up this bottle at the February 5th release, and decided to crack it open tonight to celebrate my 100th review! Bottle 106/213, bottled in 2011 of course.

Appearance - Right away, I notice that no head is in sight on this beer. It ended up with about an eighth of an inch of rich chocolaty foam that dissipated in a matter of seconds. The lacing on the glass is absolutely phenomenal as it elegantly clings to the glass. The liquid itself is a completely opaque black. Light is having a hard time traveling through this monster of darkness.

Smell - Perhaps the most robust beer I have ever smelled. Ethanol is slightly present in the background; but definitely isn't the star of the show. The real spotlight is on the coffee; as it should be with it being this beers main focal point. The coffee smells fresh, robust, rich and complex. The coffee note is absolutely unassailable. Chocolate then finds it way into the equation quite elegantly. Hints of dark fruits, perhaps plum, make themselves known as well. Dark malts prevail slightly over the chocolate.

Taste - The taste is unlike anything I've ever had before; partly thanks to the Kopi Luwak coffee and otherwise due to the fact that Jackie O's brews have a signature dark fruit taste to most their beers that is just absolutely delicious. I am initially greeted by a hint of dark plum that glides across my tongue. My swallowing of the beer allows it to explode elegantly into a slight ethanol taste accompanied by chocolate bliss. I then feel as if my taste buds are attacked by a happy swarm of dancing coffee bees. If that makes any sense. And they just sting me with all the right flavors of coffee. The coffee translates from nose to tongue quite well; bringing all of it's robust and bold properties with it. The bourbon notes keep themselves hidden subtly in the background and attribute to the taste delicately.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - This brew is incredibly drinkable and the most enjoyable sipping beer I've ever had the pleasure of drinking. I had many variations of Dark Apparition at the event, but ultimately passed over this one as I knew I had a bottle of it coming. I regret not trying this on-tap, but it tastes just as fresh as everything I did have on-tap at the brewery. The taste is smooth, yet bold and rich at the right times. The bourbon remains well hidden for the most part. But when it does present itself, it does so with purpose and in dignified formality.

I want to send out a huge thanks to Brad and everyone else who worked so hard at the Jackie O's brewery to make this beer, and all other variations of Kopi Luwak possible. I truly enjoyed every single beer I had at the February 5th event and I have cleared my calendar for the sours release on April 2nd. The event really got me into reviewing craft beer. I've always had an appreciation and taste for craft beer; but this event really got me interested in beer advocacy. I appreciate all of the hard work and dedication that goes into your profession.

Any one who hasn't had the chance to try a Jackie O's beer; I advise you to make it one of your top priorities. You can tell that a lot of thought and care go into every batch and beer that these guys make. I still have a Quincedence, Oil of Aphrodite, Cellar Cuvee 4, Captain Barley Heart and Joe the Plum taunting me on my shelf. I plan on saving each and every one of these for a special occasion. I enjoyed Wood Ya Honey with friends and family last week, and finally persuaded myself to open up Kopi Luwak for this special 100th beer review occasion. One final thanks to the guys and gals at Jackie O's for some of the best beer I've ever experienced.

4.24/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a snifter. 2011 vintage. Bottle #67 of 213. I thought I liked the Vanilla Bean version the best until I cracked a bottle of it. Amazing how being tired and already buzzed damages the palate, haha. I'm hoping this one is better.

3.5 A: Pours black. One finger of creamy medium brown head, but it falls fairly quickly (damn coffee!) and leaves nonuniform splotches of lacing.

4.5 S: Big coffee aroma, huge really. The coffee is definitely the centerpiece, but the other aromas do well to contribute to the nose. Bourbon and oak with the ever so slightest touch of booze. Hints of caramel and dark chocolate. Roasty, but not burnt or peated.

4.5 T: Everything comes together in the taste. Coffee is still the dominant taste, but unlike the nose, it isn't far and away the strongest. The leathery bourbon is much more pronounced as is the oak. Vanilla also comes to play. Light chocolate and moderate caramel flavors. Again a clean roastiness. A bit drier than I prefer, but still an excellent amalgamation of flavors.

3.5 M: Like the Vanilla Bean, the mouthfeel is the downfall. I wanted a thick, rich body but all I got was a medium one. Good moderate carbonation and super smooth, but could be creamier. A little higher mash temp and every one of this beer's scores goes up.

4.0 D: Really tasty beer. All this needed was more body and sweetness and it would have been up there with the best of them. Still, definitely worth a drink if you can find one.

3.96/5  rDev -5.5%

22 oz bottle poured into a tastingglass

Pours dark brown with a tan head , no lace ,
Nose is nice dark, roasted chocolatey coffee with slight vanilla, roasted malts, and just enough barrel to add complexity.
Flavor is similar with coffee, coffee all over, dark chocolate, vanilla, breaking into some chocolatey kopi coffee with bourbon and a hint of wood.
Flavor profile is medium-bodied and just exuding goodness all over.
Very enjoyable.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Very similar to what Cam (Urbancaver) said.
A very dark brown pour. With a nice mocha/brown head. Smells fantastic with some sweet vanilla and a touch of bourbon aroma.
Tastes coffee heavy and chocolatey, not overly done as the Kopi Luwak coffee treatment is the best I have ever had. Nice vanilla and bourbon. Perfect carbonation. An above average treatment to a solid base beer that I will keep seeking out.

4.24/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 22oz amber bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Very dark body with zero foam. Tiny tan bubbles cling to the sides of the glass, but no lace to speak of.

Sweet coffee, toasty boozy, roasty and toffee aromas are all here in very nice balance. Most of the aromas are high notes, making It difficult to pick out much underneath. No matter, its a very nice aroma. The roast is dialed down quite a bit from a RIS standpoint, but it works well to let the coffee shine.

The flavor matches the nose quite well. The balance is heavier in the bourbon and vanilla and a touch heavier in the coffee than the aroma indicated, but it's a delicious flavor. The flavors are very smooth. While it's rather intense, the balance is really nice. The roast comes through in the end making for a nice finish. Sweet vanilla boozy coffee up front, with a touch of drying roast and coffee with a slight chocolate finish. The bourbon lingers for awhile as well. Very tasty indeed.

Mouthfeel is a touch lighter than I might prefer, but it's really a preference thing. The carb level and body work together to make a very good beer.

Overall, I'm happy that I had a chance to give this one a go. I don't think that the Kopi adds anything else that another coffee wouldn't have. I'd drink it again in a heartbeat.

This is a cousin to KBS, but quite different in the balance.

Excellent beer. This is one of the first to move my needle in awhile.

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks to Pete for sharing this. Served in a snifter.

Pours near black with a thin mocha head. Fairly good retention. The nose brings loads and loads of Kopi coffee. This is very reminiscent of the nose on the straight DA Kopi, though I think the bourbon really helps to integrate things in this version. There's a bit of bourbon and roast there as well. The taste is really nice and the coffee is dead on. Nice full and chewy mouthfeel with a bit of excess booze. A bit over-the-top on the coffee, so I wouldn't be able to drink too much of this, but I did really enjoy the pour I had.

4.59/5  rDev +9.5%

Huge thanks to rudzud for sharing this beast. The reviews seem underrated, but I think that is due to most of them being last year's batch.

Batch 2012, bottle 57/300

Pours a dark mocha colored creamy but smaller head that fades fairly quickly nice legs, super dark pitch black beer.

Nose is phenomenal, bourbon up the wazoo, nice sweet boozy bourbon, some vanilla toasty barrel, buttery oak. After the barrel comes an interesting smooth rich coffee, not strong or earthy bit nice, nutty, caramel, vanilla, also a creamy Swiss chocolate, dark choc, hint of booze.

Taste is nice, bourbon barrel, with fresh sweet candy bourbon, smooth, rich creamy malt, dark malts. Again an expensive Belgian or Swiss chocolate creamy, a bit thinner in malt than I expected, but rich creamy milk choc. Light barrel char, vanilla and light buttery oak, etc. Then light caramel and candy wafer, oats, etc. A bit of smooth nutty coffee, rich but not earthy coffee. Finish is long rich creamy choc, lift smooth coffee, some vanilla barrel and oak, drier but still slightly sweet sticky.

Mouth is fuller bodied, very smooth and rich with hint of booze and lighter but decent carb for the style.

Overall hell yeah. Great malts and base beer, great bourbon and barrel, great expensive creamy choc, and coffee that tastes like I would sip on a veranda in Venice or something, smooth mellow nutty and delicious.

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

First trip to Jackie O's for their big stout day. Bought on tap that night.

Beer pours pitch black, nice tan tan head on top. Good amount of lacing left behind down the glass. Narrows as it slides down the glass, along with the head.

Aroma is very pleasant. Doesn't overcome you with one smell over another. Initial smell is a nice roasted coffee aroma. Along the way there are some hints of chocolate mixed in.

Great taste! Very smooth and easy to drink a glass or two of this. Like the nose, there is a very nice coffee flavor up front. Again it doesn't overpower all the lighter flavors along the way. Roasted malts and chocolate give great character. Some hints of bourbon give it a nice finish. The bourbon wasn't as evident as I'd think it would. Maybe after sitting for a while the bourbon will come out a little more. However, everything goes together great and makes you want another glass!

A little thinner than a full body. Little carbonation in the mouth. Gets a little dry at the end.

This was the first beer I had from Jackie O's in the morning. After a 4 oz. pour I couldn't wait to get some in a bigger glass. Later in the night got a couple snifters of this. If this was all they had, I could have sipped it all night long. Very much enjoyed this beer. Can't wait to open my bottle and see how the flavors change.

3.99/5  rDev -4.8%

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter. Yet again, Kyle keeps sharing! Bottle #100/213.

(A)- Pours a thick dark black color. Produced some tan foam and bubbles.

(S)- A really nice roasted fresh coffee grounds in front of a cocoa and molasses front.

(T)- Similar to the smell. A nice roasted coffee with a light spice and molasses richness.

(M)- A nice carbonation level. A bit thin and watery feel-wise, but has good flavor and feel.

(D)- Not bad. A great coffee profile and roasted qualities. Good stuff.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Thanks to Lee for sending this my way.

A: The beer pours black in color with a finger of tan colored foam.

S: Plenty of coffee aroma to this. It's really nice and has a touch of spice to it. Lots of vanilla and bourbon notes with a touch of oak. Chocolate and roasted malt aromas to go along with all the coffee.

T: A fairly substantial amount of semi-sweet dark chocolate to go with all the intense coffee. Still lots of bourbon and vanilla from the barrel and minimal oak. Moderate sweetness of toffee and molasses.

M: Medium to full bodied with a medium carbonation.

O: Easily the best of the Dark Apparition varieties that I've had. Really nice stuff.

3.87/5  rDev -7.6%

On tap at the Jacie O's release.

Very dark. They didn't serve in full glasses (only 4oz) so head/lace was negligable. Seemed thinner than regular Dark Apparition.

Smell was full of coffee. The Kopi Luwak coffee does have a distinct aroma (really reminds me of Brunch Weasel). Lots of smooth coffee, but slightly sour and buttery.

The flavor wasn't as delicate, closer to coffee grounds. It was sweet and smooth going down. The bourbon is very light (second use barrels?). Some roastiness and dark chocolate round it out. If I swish it around in my mouth deeper oak and bourbon characters present themselves. Typical Jackie O's sourness is creeping in on this one - why?

Medium bodied, just shy of chewy (which would really delight me). Well carbed just enough to showcase the coffee and stout. Finishes dry and slightly boozy going down.

Overall a solid brew, but there are better coffee beers out there. I would have enjoyed a stronger bourbon presence.

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

bottle 44/213. thanks to neorunner for this bottle.

A: pitch black with thin brown head that quickly subsided.

S: earthy coffee and whisky, sweet sweet bourbon whisky. notes of chocolate, roasted barley. a bit of vanilla lingers on your tongue afterwards. (and to quote a friend, it smells like shit)

T: more coffee and then a nice sweet bourbon taste. a bit of oak and licorice.

M: this is warm. both via the bourbon and the alcohol. only a medium body, i was expecting a much fuller beverage from this.

O: a sipper, but I could certainly sip more and more. The blend of coffee and whisky is rather intense - and made for a jittery sort of relaxation, if that makes sense. As far as KL bean beers go, CC's Final Push was tastier. Overall this was quite good, but I was expecting much more.

3.57/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This beer was from 2012 Staff release. The beer was lightly chilled and served in a snifter.

A- The body of the beer is inky black. The head was a burnt tan coloration and didnt hang around. Scattered lacing marks this beers passage from my glass.

S- Dark roasted malt cocoa and a medium roasted coffee aroma rise form my glass. This rides on a tide of vanilla and bourbon.

T- Bourbon takes a lead with undertones of coffee, dark roasted malt light bittersweet cocoa, slight underlying sourness I have come to associate with most Jackie O's beers. Really wish the coffee was a bit more pop out.

M- Medium bodied lightly carbonated slightly lacto tones.

O- This beer did not deliver what I was hoping. I wanted a much more intensely coffee beer. I guess 5 months in a bottle toned down the coffee notes. Again with Jackie O's beers a bit of sourness has crept in over time. Still a tasty beer.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

Pete shared this last night. Thanks, friend!

Pouring jet black with a dense, dark brown head with good retention and lacing. The nose is all coffee, just tons of it. Very fresh, the coffee is moderately bitter and earthy, pushing the barrel character to the back. There's bourbon, vanilla and cream, along with a thick and heavy stout base with roast, a little licorice . The palate is great as well, though the coffee bitterness is a little stronger than I'd like. Flavors are great, the bourbon and coffee blend is nice and the dark chocolate and heavily roasted malts are present, and the finish is surprisingly acidic and enjoyable. Very enjoyable stuff, thanks again, Pete!

Dark Apparition - Kopi Luwak Bourbon Barrel from Jackie O's Pub & Brewery