Dark Apparition - Kopi Luwak Bourbon Barrel - Jackie O's Pub & Brewery

Dark Apparition - Kopi Luwak Bourbon BarrelDark Apparition - Kopi Luwak Bourbon Barrel

Jackie O's Pub & Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: Spider889 on 02-05-2011

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

First trip to Jackie O's for their big stout day. Bought on tap that night.

Beer pours pitch black, nice tan tan head on top. Good amount of lacing left behind down the glass. Narrows as it slides down the glass, along with the head.

Aroma is very pleasant. Doesn't overcome you with one smell over another. Initial smell is a nice roasted coffee aroma. Along the way there are some hints of chocolate mixed in.

Great taste! Very smooth and easy to drink a glass or two of this. Like the nose, there is a very nice coffee flavor up front. Again it doesn't overpower all the lighter flavors along the way. Roasted malts and chocolate give great character. Some hints of bourbon give it a nice finish. The bourbon wasn't as evident as I'd think it would. Maybe after sitting for a while the bourbon will come out a little more. However, everything goes together great and makes you want another glass!

A little thinner than a full body. Little carbonation in the mouth. Gets a little dry at the end.

This was the first beer I had from Jackie O's in the morning. After a 4 oz. pour I couldn't wait to get some in a bigger glass. Later in the night got a couple snifters of this. If this was all they had, I could have sipped it all night long. Very much enjoyed this beer. Can't wait to open my bottle and see how the flavors change.

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

First visit to Jackie O's for a release. What a great place. If you haven't been to this rustic little gem you need to go. Reviewed from my notes had in a 4oz pour.

A- Pours a pitch black with a nice tan head. Dissipates out to leave a bubbling head of goodness. Decent amount of lacing along the glass.

S- Definitely is a nice roasted coffee. I would say there are some strong notes of coffee. The coffee smell lingers. I hope it doesn't fade in the bottle.

T- Coffee up front with a smooth taste. I anticipated more bourbon, but it is hidden very well. You know it's there, but it doesn't overpower what this beer is meant to do. Very well balanced.

M- If there were ever a critique it would be that the beer is a tad thin. Not overly thin, but noticeable.

D- I would say this was one of many highlights. I was fortunate to land a few bottles so I'm anxious to see what this beer does sitting for a year. If you have a chance try this beer, or anything from Jackie O's. You won't be disappointed!!!

4.87/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured into my Great Lakes Christmas Ale snifter. I picked up this bottle at the February 5th release, and decided to crack it open tonight to celebrate my 100th review! Bottle 106/213, bottled in 2011 of course.

Appearance - Right away, I notice that no head is in sight on this beer. It ended up with about an eighth of an inch of rich chocolaty foam that dissipated in a matter of seconds. The lacing on the glass is absolutely phenomenal as it elegantly clings to the glass. The liquid itself is a completely opaque black. Light is having a hard time traveling through this monster of darkness.

Smell - Perhaps the most robust beer I have ever smelled. Ethanol is slightly present in the background; but definitely isn't the star of the show. The real spotlight is on the coffee; as it should be with it being this beers main focal point. The coffee smells fresh, robust, rich and complex. The coffee note is absolutely unassailable. Chocolate then finds it way into the equation quite elegantly. Hints of dark fruits, perhaps plum, make themselves known as well. Dark malts prevail slightly over the chocolate.

Taste - The taste is unlike anything I've ever had before; partly thanks to the Kopi Luwak coffee and otherwise due to the fact that Jackie O's brews have a signature dark fruit taste to most their beers that is just absolutely delicious. I am initially greeted by a hint of dark plum that glides across my tongue. My swallowing of the beer allows it to explode elegantly into a slight ethanol taste accompanied by chocolate bliss. I then feel as if my taste buds are attacked by a happy swarm of dancing coffee bees. If that makes any sense. And they just sting me with all the right flavors of coffee. The coffee translates from nose to tongue quite well; bringing all of it's robust and bold properties with it. The bourbon notes keep themselves hidden subtly in the background and attribute to the taste delicately.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - This brew is incredibly drinkable and the most enjoyable sipping beer I've ever had the pleasure of drinking. I had many variations of Dark Apparition at the event, but ultimately passed over this one as I knew I had a bottle of it coming. I regret not trying this on-tap, but it tastes just as fresh as everything I did have on-tap at the brewery. The taste is smooth, yet bold and rich at the right times. The bourbon remains well hidden for the most part. But when it does present itself, it does so with purpose and in dignified formality.

I want to send out a huge thanks to Brad and everyone else who worked so hard at the Jackie O's brewery to make this beer, and all other variations of Kopi Luwak possible. I truly enjoyed every single beer I had at the February 5th event and I have cleared my calendar for the sours release on April 2nd. The event really got me into reviewing craft beer. I've always had an appreciation and taste for craft beer; but this event really got me interested in beer advocacy. I appreciate all of the hard work and dedication that goes into your profession.

Any one who hasn't had the chance to try a Jackie O's beer; I advise you to make it one of your top priorities. You can tell that a lot of thought and care go into every batch and beer that these guys make. I still have a Quincedence, Oil of Aphrodite, Cellar Cuvee 4, Captain Barley Heart and Joe the Plum taunting me on my shelf. I plan on saving each and every one of these for a special occasion. I enjoyed Wood Ya Honey with friends and family last week, and finally persuaded myself to open up Kopi Luwak for this special 100th beer review occasion. One final thanks to the guys and gals at Jackie O's for some of the best beer I've ever experienced.

4.79/5  rDev +15.1%

My wife wanted a stronger but tasty beer to commemorate a Thursday night game, and this bottle made the cut. I'd originally had it on tap at the release, liked it then and I've been looking forward to cracking a bottle since then. Can't believe it took this long.

It pours a dark brown color, opaque with a thin tan foam. Dark tan foam too. The nose is really nice, it reminds me immediately of the 2011 KBS I had earlier this week, plus tons of coffee. Rich bourbon, roasted malts, coffee beans, this earns a very high score on aroma.

It tastes just as good, I don't remember liking this quite this much on tap (probably due to palate fatigue, tons of quality taps with high ABV). All the bourbon and coffee from the aroma, plus some vanilla that becomes more evident with each sip. This is tasty but a sipper, a mild burning feel lasting after every drink.

The body is on the thicker side, similar to the base as well as the many variations I've tried over the last year. This is a fantastic treatment on Dark Apparition, a real winner. Recommended.

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%

Bottle 203/213 shared by stawn, thanks!

A: Black in the snifter with a big light brown head. Nice color and retention. Looks foreboding.

S: Robust bourbon and vanilla notes with a big earthy coffee presence. Wood and dark chocolate meld with a moderate roasted malt quality and a pervasive nuttiness. This smells amazing.

T: The flavor nearly mirrors the quality of the aroma, with nutty and earthy coffee notes accompanying bourbon, dark chocolate, and vanilla. There's a low earthy bitterness as well as a moderate roasted quality. The coffee tastes excellent with the bourbon. Very nice.

M: Full in body with moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is chewy, smooth, silky, and sticky.

Overall: This was shockingly good. Highly recommended.

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Fantastic beer!! Josh C! Thanks for the bottle!! Pours dark black with a think dark head that fades rather quickly. The nose on this one if fantastic! Tons of bourbon, vanilla and some coffee. The taste follows that nose perfectly! Great bourbon, chocolate and coffee that mixes wonderfully. Great mouthfeel, very thick and satisfying. Overall, I will try to get this bottle again at every opportunity! Don’t miss out if you can get it.

4.62/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

705ml shared at the 2011 Hunahpu's release but I don't remember who opened it. Whoever you are, thanks a ton!

Pours a deep dark chocolate brown color with faint hints of mahogany edges when held to a light and a one finger dark mocha head. Good retention, slowly fading into a lasting ring that leaves sporadic spots of lace behind.

Amazing silky chocolate aroma with a deep roasted mocha coffee/espresso bean presence. that isn't burnt or acrid at all. Hints of chocolate tootsie roll(but somehow not artificial), caramel, toffee and hazelnut as well as a faint bourbon barrel presence. Subtle booze with hints of vanilla and oak but this beer mostly smells like the best coffee ever brewed. Amazing nose!

Chewy full body with an excellent balance of roasted espresso, silky milk and bittersweet dark chocolate. Hints of hazelnut, toffee, oatmeal and luscious chocolate malts. incredibly smooth, well balanced with a well masked ABV. No alcohol heat whatsoever making this beer dangerously quaffable. Slightly smokey, dry and roasted but still sweet with a very faint bourbon barrel presence. Again, there is slight boozy bourbon sweetness with sweet vanilla and marshmallow notes. The bourbon is there but the coffee flavor is so ridiculously smooth and prominent that it takes a back seat.

Overall, this beer far exceeded my expectations. I find most of the Jackie O's beers that I've tried so far to be overrated but this beer is excellent and totally legit. Please trade me more.

4.59/5  rDev +10.3%

Huge thanks to rudzud for sharing this beast. The reviews seem underrated, but I think that is due to most of them being last year's batch.

Batch 2012, bottle 57/300

Pours a dark mocha colored creamy but smaller head that fades fairly quickly nice legs, super dark pitch black beer.

Nose is phenomenal, bourbon up the wazoo, nice sweet boozy bourbon, some vanilla toasty barrel, buttery oak. After the barrel comes an interesting smooth rich coffee, not strong or earthy bit nice, nutty, caramel, vanilla, also a creamy Swiss chocolate, dark choc, hint of booze.

Taste is nice, bourbon barrel, with fresh sweet candy bourbon, smooth, rich creamy malt, dark malts. Again an expensive Belgian or Swiss chocolate creamy, a bit thinner in malt than I expected, but rich creamy milk choc. Light barrel char, vanilla and light buttery oak, etc. Then light caramel and candy wafer, oats, etc. A bit of smooth nutty coffee, rich but not earthy coffee. Finish is long rich creamy choc, lift smooth coffee, some vanilla barrel and oak, drier but still slightly sweet sticky.

Mouth is fuller bodied, very smooth and rich with hint of booze and lighter but decent carb for the style.

Overall hell yeah. Great malts and base beer, great bourbon and barrel, great expensive creamy choc, and coffee that tastes like I would sip on a veranda in Venice or something, smooth mellow nutty and delicious.

4.59/5  rDev +10.3%

Received in a trade with miketd this is the 2012 batch 57/300.

A - Poured into a palm tulip a deep rich dark brownish black with a half finger mocha head that left light lacing and a thin mocha blanket.

S - Aromas of zomg. Wonderful bourbon notes along with nice vanilla notes. Then coffee....so much nice coffee here. Not the first kopi luwak beer I've had but hands down the best. Wonderful vanilla.

T - Taste is delicious . Great chocolate and vanilla here with lovely vanilla and oak along with faint caramel and bourbon. The coffee pops, nicely nutty, super smooth and balanced. Unreal.

M - Mouthfeel is very nice. Smooth and rich with a nice creamy mouthfeel.

O - Overall I very much enjoyed this beer. It is incredibly good and well done with delicious wonderful vanilla and coffee. Outstanding.

4.57/5  rDev +9.9%

Received this as an EXTRA from the ever generous normyk. Thanks a ton for this huge want, Will. Bottle number 10 of 213. Split with some La Crosse BAs yesterday. Poured into small taster:

A - Black with kahki head. Light foam that turns into a nice cap. Nice creamy lacing.

S - Wow! Awesome roasted coffee! (and I don't even like coffee) Chocolate and vanilla. Oak and a bit of caramel. Really just an outstanding smell!

T - Nice clear flavor of coffee. The barrel heat is present in the middle and finish. Its a little sweet and a little sour at the end. A little smoky. Other flavors of oak and chocolate and a bit of vanilla.

M - Its nice and creamy in the beginning and then a burning boozy feeling in the end. Nice carbonation.

D - This was a real treat! To know that you are drinking a great barrel aged stout with the world most expensive coffee mixed in is just awesome. The smell on this thing was just killer...I wanted to apply some under my nose. Will, hats off to you for sending me this brew and job well done by Jackie O's for brewing this beer. This was my first beer from Jackie O's and needless to say I'm impressed!

4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Very similar to what Cam (Urbancaver) said.
A very dark brown pour. With a nice mocha/brown head. Smells fantastic with some sweet vanilla and a touch of bourbon aroma.
Tastes coffee heavy and chocolatey, not overly done as the Kopi Luwak coffee treatment is the best I have ever had. Nice vanilla and bourbon. Perfect carbonation. An above average treatment to a solid base beer that I will keep seeking out.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks to Lee for sending this my way.

A: The beer pours black in color with a finger of tan colored foam.

S: Plenty of coffee aroma to this. It's really nice and has a touch of spice to it. Lots of vanilla and bourbon notes with a touch of oak. Chocolate and roasted malt aromas to go along with all the coffee.

T: A fairly substantial amount of semi-sweet dark chocolate to go with all the intense coffee. Still lots of bourbon and vanilla from the barrel and minimal oak. Moderate sweetness of toffee and molasses.

M: Medium to full bodied with a medium carbonation.

O: Easily the best of the Dark Apparition varieties that I've had. Really nice stuff.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

Reviewed from draft notes from the release.

A. Pours very black with just a slight bit of tan cream on top. I suspect you'd get a better head if the wait staff weren't required to run around with all of the beers at a frantic pace.

S. Premium coffee with lots of nice roast character. The bourbon certainly takes a back seat here to allow the coffee flavor to really shine.

T. Tons of dark roasted coffee with some chocolate notes and a bit of bourbon character. Some of the vanilla notes come out as well.

M. Creamy carbonation on top of a somewhat thin body (in comparison to the other huge stouts).

D. A beer that really shows the coffee treatment with a nice subtle touch of bourbon character. One of my wife's favorites of the day since she really enjoys coffee + bourbon stouts.

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Staff bottle 87/300 poured into a goblet.

Pours a very dark brown with a half finger of creamy tan head that leaves a ring on top of the pour. The nose is full of dark fruit, vanilla, coffee, and dark chocolate. Lots going on here. The flavor starts off with a dark fruit sweetness. The coffee and bourbon hit the tongue hard, but it's quite smooth. There is a nice sweet undertone that reminds me of vanilla. The finish is sweet and full of the coffee. The body is slightly less thick than it should be with smooth carbonation and a dry finish.

This is a very interesting beer. I enjoyed the combination of the sweet, the coffee, and the bourbon. I'd definitely have more if I get the chance.

4.37/5  rDev +5%

From 02/20/11 notes. Shared by neorunner; thanks a lot Nate! Bottle 54/213.

a - Pours a jet black color with one inch of tan head and moderate carbonation evident. Head lasts for 1-2 minutes..

s - Smells of strong coffee, vanilla, bourbon, roasted malts, dark chocolate, and oak.

t - Tastes of coffee, roasted malts, chocolate, dark fruits, oak, bourbon, and light vanilla from the barrels.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Smooth and very good.

d - I really liked this stout. It reminded me a bit of Beer Geek Weasel thanks to the strong coffee and roastiness, but this also has nice bourbon and vanilla. Would love to try this again sometime..

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Thanks Bill!
Pours a dark dark brown. Nice brown head. Looks stellar.
Smells sweet and malt heavy. Lots of vanilla, touch of bourbon aroma. Overly sweet but very nice aroma.
Tastes coffee heavy and chocolatey. Nice vanilla and bourbon. Nice flavour profile.
Well carbonated. Overall very nice. I quite enjoy this

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Growler provided by Pete, thanks Pete. Served in a snifter. Beer is black to dark brown at the corners, hazy with a this almost nothing head, no lacing, some legs on the glass with the swirl and very low carbonation.

This beer is also a little hot but less so than the other. There is a definite coffee aroma to this beer as well. Maybe the coffee is cutting the alcohol smell a little.

Beer is medium to light in body on the forward palate and a little dry at the back. There is more coffee / roast in the back half of this beer than the first but it is also quite good. The finish is slightly more acidic than the vanilla one but it is quite enjoyable. There is almost two phases to this beer the roastiness at the back and the sweetness of the front. The two work well together as a juxtoposition.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have been anxious to try this beer again. I havent had it since on tap at the release. Wow, it has been 6 months already. Tuesday night an opportunity arose when some friends came to visit. Enjoyed with BAs CaptinRedBeard and ClockworkOrange.

Poured from a bomber #15/213 into a matching Jackie O's snifter. This brew appears black in color with some light brown clarity around the edge. A dark brown head holds around the rim with spots and strings of lace that stick to the glass. A light swirl revives a finger of head back to the surface.

The smell of this brew is roasty and tangy with deep earthy quality mixed with a light must aspect and woodsy qualities. The oak is present in the nose with a whiskey kick to accent the alcohol inclusion to the nose. Lots of chocolate malt is present with a sweetness and mild vanilla. Some spices are present lightly reminiscent of cinnamon and toasty coconut. Deep earthy smelling quality is present but not strikingly bold by any means, it is well incorporated throughout.

The taste is roasted bitter grains, earthy and tangy with a light citrus coffee beam quality. Wooded and oaky flavors throughout mixed with almost a dirt to char flavoring. Lots of bitter roasted chocolate with a touch of vanilla smoothness. The roasted elements of the grain/coffee get to be drying but not fatiguing on the finish. It is tangy with a whiskey kick that continues to evole as the brew warms.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. The alcohol is perfectly balanced for more than 10%. Very easy drinking and enjoyable. I was very pleased to find the kopi addition to this brew still readily evident. It carries a nice depth of earthy flavoring that really works with the base roasted grain character.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had on tap at the February 5th release. Finally getting around to reviewing it from notes.

A: Arrived pitch black with a thin layer of tan creaminess that tried to stick around the entire glass. Nothing exceptional from the appearance, however, wonderfully typical of the style.

S: Quite a bit of delicious coffee and roast malt is evident immediately. The initial smell in itself is fantastic. Behind the coffee is dark chocolate and a bit of bourbon. I typically like a bit more bourbon in the nose, but the muted barrel characteristics in this one are really nice, letting the Kopi Luwak take center stage, yet providing just enough support to make this complex but very well balanced.

T: Just as you would expect from the aroma, the absolutely delicious dark coffee and roastiness are prominent. Dark chocolate, dark fruit, and bourbon, again, provide support just behind the dominant flavors rounding the flavor out very nicely. There is just a bit of heat on the back end, but overall, this is very well balanced. I think letting this age a bit would put this one over the top.

M: The body is just a bit thinner than I was expecting, and was really the only disappointing aspect of this beer. By disappointing I mean not exactly ideal. It's still smooth and creamy with fairly low carbonation, which isn't really a negative, but I would have liked it to be a bit thicker. The finish is absolutely delicious ... coffee and chocolate linger forever.

D: Just a bit of booze makes this a sipper, but it's pretty darn well balanced, so I could certainly have more than on glass of this. There is a ton of coffee, so if that's not your thing, this one isn't for you. I, however, love it and can't wait to crack open a bottle or two of this in a year or so!

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Thanks to chswimmer for this tick.

Pours black in color with a nice well-formed tan head.

Huge great coffee aroma, earthy without too much weasel crap, with dark chocolate and roast along with mild bourbon.

Excellent flavor, big on coffee but I love it. Just a little bit of bourbon -bal aging evident. Great chocolatey notes behind that, along with roasted malts and maybe even slight spice.

Fairly full-bodied and smooth with slight charry dryness and a long finish, with medium-low carbonation.

A damn good coffee stout, although I'm a sucker for this style.

4.27/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2011 Bottle 6/213. 22 oz bottle poured into my FFF Teku glass and split with my husband.

A- Body is a dark brown/nearly black hue which is opaque and does not light pass through. An aggressive pour yields a 1 finger creamy dark tan head which fades pretty quickly and leaves a thin collar and some lacing.

S- Smooth, rich, bold dark coffee, overripe plum, vanilla, oak, bourbon sweetness and anise. Nose is pretty balanced overall. A slight hint of alcohol comes through as well.

T- Somewhat soft upfront with some coffee overtones, vanilla and oak make up the background with just a hint of bourbon flavor. Smooth coffee, a hint of overripe fruit, and very little alcohol come through for the finish. Left to linger is overripe fruit, and a mild alcohol heat.

F- Low to medium carbonation and a relatively thick, heavy body. Body is smooth-but not as much so as oil of Aphrodite.

O- Overall this is a great beer-maybe only slightly past its prime. The bourbon is soft and this brew is extra smooth and rich. You can definitely taste the base beer- Dark Apparition with this, so even though its BBA and with Kopi Lowak added- Jackie O's never loses sight of the original beer.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

162/300: Poured out as a deep black color with tan colored head on top. The head settles leaving a ring around the edge of the glass. The lacing is pretty good. The smell is sweet, some spicy vanilla aromas and roasted malt. The taste of sweet vanilla with some subtle roasted malt with plenty of Bourbon. The mouthfeel is slick as oily, the carbonation is gentle. Overall it's a very good brew.

4.24/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a snifter. 2011 vintage. Bottle #67 of 213. I thought I liked the Vanilla Bean version the best until I cracked a bottle of it. Amazing how being tired and already buzzed damages the palate, haha. I'm hoping this one is better.

3.5 A: Pours black. One finger of creamy medium brown head, but it falls fairly quickly (damn coffee!) and leaves nonuniform splotches of lacing.

4.5 S: Big coffee aroma, huge really. The coffee is definitely the centerpiece, but the other aromas do well to contribute to the nose. Bourbon and oak with the ever so slightest touch of booze. Hints of caramel and dark chocolate. Roasty, but not burnt or peated.

4.5 T: Everything comes together in the taste. Coffee is still the dominant taste, but unlike the nose, it isn't far and away the strongest. The leathery bourbon is much more pronounced as is the oak. Vanilla also comes to play. Light chocolate and moderate caramel flavors. Again a clean roastiness. A bit drier than I prefer, but still an excellent amalgamation of flavors.

3.5 M: Like the Vanilla Bean, the mouthfeel is the downfall. I wanted a thick, rich body but all I got was a medium one. Good moderate carbonation and super smooth, but could be creamier. A little higher mash temp and every one of this beer's scores goes up.

4.0 D: Really tasty beer. All this needed was more body and sweetness and it would have been up there with the best of them. Still, definitely worth a drink if you can find one.

4.24/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a 22oz amber bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Very dark body with zero foam. Tiny tan bubbles cling to the sides of the glass, but no lace to speak of.

Sweet coffee, toasty boozy, roasty and toffee aromas are all here in very nice balance. Most of the aromas are high notes, making It difficult to pick out much underneath. No matter, its a very nice aroma. The roast is dialed down quite a bit from a RIS standpoint, but it works well to let the coffee shine.

The flavor matches the nose quite well. The balance is heavier in the bourbon and vanilla and a touch heavier in the coffee than the aroma indicated, but it's a delicious flavor. The flavors are very smooth. While it's rather intense, the balance is really nice. The roast comes through in the end making for a nice finish. Sweet vanilla boozy coffee up front, with a touch of drying roast and coffee with a slight chocolate finish. The bourbon lingers for awhile as well. Very tasty indeed.

Mouthfeel is a touch lighter than I might prefer, but it's really a preference thing. The carb level and body work together to make a very good beer.

Overall, I'm happy that I had a chance to give this one a go. I don't think that the Kopi adds anything else that another coffee wouldn't have. I'd drink it again in a heartbeat.

This is a cousin to KBS, but quite different in the balance.

Excellent beer. This is one of the first to move my needle in awhile.

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 vintage. Bomber #22/213. Poured into a Cigar City snifter. Shared with schen9303.

Pours like the rest of the DA series. Dark, heavy, and slick. A dark coffee head that collapses quickly. Lacing is very spotty but legs are thick and oily.

Kopi coffee hits immediately and its tremendous. Deep roast, chocolate, cocoa, and bourbon in the back. This one's actually very enticing.

Again, kopi upfront makes this one pretty one-dimensional but also pretty tremendous. Coffee, cocoa, and chocolate upfront with bourbon sweetness and a slight sweet/tartness from the base beer pushed far in the back. Ends chocolate, coffee roast, and fudge. Finishes sweet and boozy with a boozy aftertaste.

Medium bodied and again, a bit thin. Probably the one disappointing aspect of this beer since the kopi really can't assert its presence here. Slightly bubbly and smooth and hot going down. Finishes oily and slick with a lingering aftertaste.

Having had the regular, then bourbon, and now the kopi bourbon, its really amazing what kopi luwak can do to a beer. This is by far, the best in the series and one that I wouldn't hesitate to seek out again. A very solid offering.

Dark Apparition - Kopi Luwak Bourbon Barrel from Jackie O's Pub & Brewery