Brown Recluse - Jackie O's Pub & Brewery

Jackie O's Pub & Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: brew3crew on 04-02-2011

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 94 | Reviews: 33

3.2/5  rDev -19.8%

Appearance: Mahogany-brown with an off-white head

Smell: Dark malt and fruits, brown sugar, cherries, oak, touch of maple sugar.

Taste: Not particularly sour, I get cherries, oak, vanilla, brown sugar and a bit of maple syrup. A bit muddled.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body with low carbonation

Overall: Not particularly impressive.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to Dunt for sharing this one.

Pours a dark murky brown with a small ring of bubbles, super limited carbonation.

Smell is decent. Sour, and that's about it. A hint of maple sweetness, but only a hint. Some chemical burn at the very end, but it's muted. It does, however, distract.

Taste is the highlight - very sour - more so than I thought it would be. Vinegar, but not harsh. There's a softness to the sour that blunts the edge of it and makes it very smooth to drink.

Feel is pretty good. There's something about it that coats the tongue in an odd way. Not bad, but unusual.

Overall, a tasty beer. I've been impressed with the Jackie O's sours.

3.43/5  rDev -14%

Big thanks to Urbancaver for the Jackie O's hookup. I'd not heard of the brewery until he mentioned it to me and it's certainly not something I can purchase in my local area. This is bottle 311/372, 2011 version.

Pouring this into a Cantillon flute, it forms a medium brown with reddish highlights. Foam formation was scant and no retention.

Upfront tart, sour-cherry like nose yields to a semi-sweet chocolate. Slightly smoky and a very mild barnyard.

Nutty undertones blend with the tarter, sour character. Light vanilla. The maple syrup noted on the label is detectable but at a level I might not detect were it not explicit. Long, dry sour finish keeps the taste buds puckered.

Light bodied with a moderate-low level of carbonation.

My experience with sour ales is fairly limited and even more so with a sour brown ale. That said, I find RR's Supplication to be a far more complex beer with a more developed, pronounced sour character and a more vibrant mouthfeel. While this is certainly not a bad beer, I'm not sure I'd seek it out again.

3.55/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a murky brown color with pretty much no head just a few bubbles at best. No lacing what so ever.

S- Quite a bit of funk. Cherries, vinegar, wood and sourness.

T- Quite a bit of sour, but at the level I can handle. Some darker fruits, woody, hay and a lot of Earthy notes. I'm acutally surprised that I can drink this one with relative ease.

M- Medium in body and fairly light in carbonation.

O- I'm pretty sure I couldn't handle a bottle of this one on my own, but splitting would be ideal.

3.76/5  rDev -5.8%

bottle number 290 of 372.

poured into a tulip glass. I shared my bottle with both wedge9 & ryan585.

Appearance: This beer is a dark and murky brown bodied beer with absolutely no trace of a head or carbonation. The beer almost looks like dirty muddy mop-bucket water.

Smell: Strong sour funky smell, the acidic smell of vinegar and granny smith green apples.

Taste: Mild to moderate funkiness and granny smith apples. Mild acidic bite tastes sort of like lemons and vinegar. Not really complex tasting, but its effective and is still tasty brew.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied beer and low carbonation. Wish the beer was more carbonated.

Overall: This is my first Jackie O's beer. It was good. It was not the best looking beer and needed some more carbonation to bring this beer to life, but it tastes and smells good.

2.35/5  rDev -41.1%

WTF? How does this have a B+?

Looks like a normal beer when you pour it, smells rather tasty. A little tart and sour in your mouth and then nothing. Finishes very watery and flat. Not very good at all. I'd consider this an avoid.

I got a free taste so I'm not upset but my dumbass buddy traded a fucking Rare for it. What a dumbass.

2.34/5  rDev -41.4%

Pours a dark carmel colored brown in the glass the only visual head is a white lacing around the beer.

Smell- sweet aroma with a little sour cherry in the end. Almost one trick pony

Taste- a nice sour taste starts out but falls flat in the end. Some sour cherries and finishes with a sweet lacing of maple syrup.

Overall- avoid the hype. It's ok but nothing special. Thin and watery is the best way to describe this.

4.21/5  rDev +5.5%

Thanks to henway for my first Jackie O.

22oz bottle Dated 2011, Bottle 70, Batch 372 poured into my Bruery Tulip.

A - Pours a nice medium brown with almost no head, just a few dark tan bubbles form on one edge.

S - Apple, toffee, maple. Very nice.

T - Here comes the sour. Tart apples, carmel, cherry.

D - Nice sourness, low carbonation.

O - My first Jackie O, and it did not dissapoint. The maple was a nice balnace and I really enjoyed it.

3.74/5  rDev -6.3%

Thanks to Thorpe for this... pours dark brown, a little watery on the fringe, an off white head, ok head but not lace... really love the nose, lots of maple syrup mixed with lactic sourness and cherries, maple comes off very nice and the balance is awesome... the taste is more sour than the nose and not as much maple or as good but still tastey, molasses, brown sugar, oak, and sour finish.. enjoyed and I’d gladly have again

4.39/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip. 2011 vintage. Bottle #282 of 372.

3.5 A: Fairly clear deep mahogany brown color. Just one finger of creamy beige head. Retention isn't all that great and little lacing is left.

4.5 S: Wow, this has really developed since the release. Much more sour than I remember anyway. Lots of tangy lactic acid with lots of black cherry, grape, plum, a touch of tobacco, and something like fig. Ever so light roastiness. Remnants of the maple syrup at a well received layer of complexity. Oak and vanilla from the barrel. Musty basement type brett funkiness. I remember liking the nose on this, but it's much better now.

4.5 T: This has developed a bit of a pucker factor. Tart cherry and plum with not quite ripe grape and tobacco again. Good bit of vanilla and almost as much oak. Soft, supple tannic astringency. Lots of tangy lactic, but also some acetic acid. Musky basement. Just a small contribution from the maple syrup. Good bit of sourness to scratch that itch with tons of complexity and flavors that complement each other.

4.0 M: Lighter medium body. Carbonation is just a touch higher than average for the style and is very spritzy. Creamy on finish, but light up to that point.

4.5 D: I'm really digging this right now. If you have a bottle and have not had it yet, now's a good time to open it. This has turned out to be one of my favorite JO's brews. It's just too damn bad this was my last bottle. I wouldn't have traded as much if I knew I'd like it this much.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Brown Recluse from Jackie O's Pub & Brewery